28th January 2013: In Vino Veritas

SystemSystem Posts: 2

image28th January 2013: In Vino Veritas

Hello everyone, we’re still hard at work on the iPhone release. If all goes well, we should be hitting the App Store within the first half of February! But naturally that’s not the only thing we’ve...

Read the full story here

Comments

• quinnstephensquinnstephens Administrator Posts: 464
    Any suggestions for the new mechanic? We're all ears!
  • DaMorlockDaMorlock Member, Arbiter Posts: 3,639
    edited January 2013
    1) Are mushrooms now going to be rarer?
    2) If so, do we keep all of the mushrooms we've found already?
    3) How are you going to be able to "drink" the wine?
    4) Does each mushroom make a certian wine, or are there going to be "recipes?"
    5) Is the wine going to be craftable, or will there be a "brewer?"
    6) If there is going to be a brewer, will it itself be craftable, or will it be like the composter?
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,007
    1/2) The current mushrooms will continue be common. Some of the new ones will be common as well, and some more rare. You'll keep all your current inventory :)

3) Not sure yet, we'll figure it out!

4) There will be combinations of different mushrooms and other aspects that let you make different wines. It will be wondrously convoluted! :)
  • quinnstephensquinnstephens Administrator Posts: 464
    5) There will probably be some kind of wine press / vat / something or other.
    6) No, you would build it, like a forge, since it wouldn't directly affect the zone ecosystem.
    Maybe as soon as you craft the wine, you would automatically drink it, and you would get the empty bottle to display?
  • 4SlotToaster4SlotToaster Member Posts: 1,809
    I like it! Me, being underage, this completes my drinking urges! Just kidding.

This is very exciting, being a big fan of "Minecraft's" brewing system, I am very much so looking forward to this. I knew collecting all those mushrooms would pay off! I plan to open a brewery, and much more retail shops around the worlds! So keep an eye out for those. :)

Great work, as always.
  • CopperpotCopperpot Member Posts: 242
    I love the news, it looks really interesting! I suggest that wines give you some kind of boosts and penalties, and the ones that are harder to make (scarce resources, longer brewing time) give specially useful boosts, like some protection to acid, fire or ice, faster movement speed, faster mining/shoveling and the like. Another effect I would like is a wine that make you invulnerable for a short time, but also makes you loose control of your character for said time, during which it will be wandering aimlessly, additionally maybe blurred vision effect?
  • OxidisOxidis http://codepen.io/ZufengW/full/mVBjXPMember, Arbiter Posts: 792
    Will wines affect the age restrictions of the game? (especially if you can get drunk)
    @copperpot reminded me: will the brewing be instant or will it take time? if it will take time, will it "spoil" if you don't collect it within a certain time frame?
  • dmmagicdmmagic Your mom's house.Member Posts: 3,236
    AWESOME!! Can't wait for the update!
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 313
    Time makes the wine, it should mature in value with age. Wine gains flavour and body by maturing in oak vats. Good wines continue to age in bottles. The brunello di montalcino is my personal favourite it is aged fr four years before its released for sale. I cellar it for a further 10 to allow the tannins to soften and the structure to reach its full potential. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to craft your own 'label' within the game and resell your own blend of wine. A vintner skill...
    I'm just expanding off of @Dale's idea: I think maybe you should be able to experiment with different recipes, so you could possibly discover a recipe that gives a great boost, and you could trade it. Also, I thought you could probably drink wine the same way you eat jerky.
  • janjan Member Posts: 353
    edited January 2013
    Boosts:
    Normal wines Acts like jerky
    Better wines are skill boosts / ...
    But be Aware of mistakes

And agriculture...
    Soon we'll have a Social System with Farmers, Leaders, sirentists, ... :O

Also, I thought you could probably drink wine the same way you eat jerky.

*Drinks wine.
    1.5 seconds later:
    *Drinks another bottle.
    1.5 seconds later:
    *Drinks another bottle.
    Wait, my vision is getting blurry!

There should be a longer delay between each jerky (at least 3 seconds), this stops players from tanking in dungeons.
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 313
    yes wine should be a consumable like jerky, and as you say, if you work out a great recipe you should be able to trade the product without giving away the secret of its creation.
    drugs!? what drugs!?
  • Ov3rExposeD12_Ov3rExposeD12_ Member Posts: 340
    Sounds good :D can't wait for the iPhone version :)
    How will you consume the wine? In a bottle or a Glass?
  • ProfessorPopProfessorPop Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2013

drugs!? what drugs!?

I bet you that fire salt actually contains phencyclidine and that's the reason power jerky keeps you going through dungeons for so long.

Anyway, really excited for this update. I have a special place in my heart dedicated to games that let you create and/or collect alcohol, as much as I hate to admit it. What I love even more is games that have intoxication effects (blurred vision, discoordination) when you've had one too many of the aforementioned drinks; Will Deepworld have this or no?

Edit: "I have a pipefish place in my heart"
    Autocorrect, shhhh.
  • ConezPwnz47ConezPwnz47 Member Posts: 1,563
    edited January 2013
    This is awesome, I do agree that wine should improve with age. Also maybe add the ability to grow fruit trees in purified worlds, these could be used to make a variety of fruit wines, grape (obviously) lemon, orange, lime, and other fruits.

Also maybe people could design their own "brand" of wine and they could name it special. Maybe a Lootable label maker (lmao xD) and then they could create a label which would automatically be add to any wine that they create in the future with the same ingredients and effects.

This is awesome, I do agree that wine should improve with age. Also maybe add the ability to grow fruit trees in purified worlds, these could be used to make a variety of fruit wines, grape (obviously) lemon, orange, lime, and other fruits.

Also maybe people could design their own "brand" of wine and they could name it special. Maybe a Lootable label maker (lmao xD) and then they could create a label which would automatically be add to any wine that they create in the future with the same ingredients and effects.

I was thinking that the main limitation of Deepworld's inventory system is that it won't support unique items.
    Hmmm, good point. Maybe they could work like notes so that when you click them while they're placed they display text that you created.
  • ProfessorPopProfessorPop Member Posts: 104

Also maybe add the ability to grow fruit trees in purified worlds, these could be used to make a variety of fruit wines, grape (obviously) lemon, orange, lime, and other fruits.

Yeah, though you'd probably need seeds first for that. Fruit trees (and in the cases of grapes, vines) probably didn't do too well in the apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic environmental conditions - I mean just look at the plants on unpurified worlds now.

Perhaps you could find old world-surviving seed packets in chests.

• PhilosopherPhilosopher Member Posts: 1,250
    edited January 2013
    Wood scraps should be allowed to be sprinkled on earth in developed worlds, after a certain World Achievement (maybe 96% of all mushrooms mined in that world, plus purified and available composter). It would make a lot sense to have wood scraps mixed with compost blocks to make the mushroom farms possible. The rare mushrooms wouldn't be grown in this way, only the common ones would. Just like the domestic mushrooms and the wild mushrooms out in the wild.
    @Philosopher, maybe rare mushrooms could be grown but only produce a single extra after a week or something and to grow them you have to loot mushroom spores?
  • janjan Member Posts: 353
    1) you can loot recipes from chest. Those notes would be like the normal notes: "use red mushroom, 2 blue. But i forgot the time." Or " use 1 purple and 5hours.. there was another ingredient but i forgot."
    Quality of your recipe depends on your luck level, maybe a little chance of bad recipes.

You could even try your own creations... but it's dangerous :D

2) Better wine - more health points / ...
    Maybe if it was aging to long/short less health points than normal.
    Bad wines will kill you or you'll get some special effects on screen for some mins- hours (depending of quality)

3) Depending on luck lvl you can loot good - best seeds :)

Know we'd need a new inventory... maybe in wine racks, but i'd love this :o
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,487
    And if you make a bad wine, it could turn into turpentine, which you could then put in a squirt gun to shoot at fire terrapi for awesome explosions.
    edited January 2013
    Maybe even allow horrible wines that are bad enough to be used as fuel, like maybe give 5 steam xD Or allow an option to use pure liquified sugar, which would yield pure alcohol, aside from the yeast or bacteria that die in the process.
    Post edited by ConezPwnz47 on
  • HoboDumpsterHoboDumpster Member Posts: 925
    YESS! Deepworld on iPhone in early February it is a maricle(that doesn't look spelled right) finally I will be able to play this game in only a few weeks

drugs!? what drugs!?

Alcohol is a drug, and some of those glowing mushrooms will probably act as drugs when mixed into your brew.

I like the idea of finding crafting recipes or gaining them from achievements.
    mushroomwine.jpeg
    550 x 873 - 129K