Deepworld EPYC Sign-Up and Discussion

SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,310
EPYC stands for "Eat Poop You Cat," which is the name of the game. The game is sort of like Telephone, only instead of people whispering a sentence to one another, it involves people taking turns drawing pictures and writing captions. The basic way it goes is like this: person 1 receives a caption via PM, and draws a picture based on the caption. Person 2 receives that drawing (without the caption) and writes a new caption based on what she or he thinks the drawing is trying to depict. Player 3 receives the new caption (without seeing the original drawing or caption) and draws a picture to represent the caption. The next person gets the new caption, draws a picture, and so on down the line. At no point does any participant know about the other drawings and captions, just the one she received in the private message. When all ten people have done their parts, all the pictures and captions are gathered together and posted in order for everyone to see.

Anyhow, I'm looking for about ten people to take part in a small experiment to see if it will be possible to play the EPYC game on this forum. The more people involved, the funnier the game is, but I figured we would start small to see if it would even work.

Participants must be willing to draw although actual drawing talent is totally optional. In other words, you don't have to be a "good artist" to play! You just have to be willing to draw a quick picture based on a caption. The ability to keep a secret for a little while is a must, though, and you must also be on the forum frequently enough to check your PMs in a timely manner so the game doesn't get bogged down partway through. Also, you should know how to attach an image to a PM. The game has to happen via PMs because the reason it ends up being funny is because no one knows what the other images and captions are.

In general, the game goes faster if people use a drawing program, but if you're good at getting your real-life art uploaded quickly into the computer, that's fine, too.

If you're interested, reply below or send me a PM! We'll start with ten participants and any extras will be alternates (as very often people opt out due to issues of time and such).

P.S. Here's an abbreviated example of how a game might go. I cheated a little to hurry things along, but I think it gives you the basic idea:

The Santa-suited player had just finished crafting his first clock and was about to loot the mechanical chest when he noticed brains approaching in the distance.

Santa was going to teach those brains to use their litterbox by midnight or it was curtains for them.

The brains hovered unhappily near the overcooked lasagna as Santa glared and demonstrated his newly-discovered ability to shoot coal pellets out of his hand.

Despite onyx being rare, AquaPhynn hurled it at the brains until their visas cracked; they then plummeted towards the open fire.
Post edited by Sirentist on

Comments

• awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,873
    Cool
  • SladedRogueSladedRogue Hiding From Tjergoz's NukesMember Posts: 715
    Could I participate? This seems like a fun and great game!
  • I'd like to participate in this!
  • GrandpowGrandpow Member Posts: 97
    I would like to participate in this by being a captioner!
  • AquaPhynnAquaPhynn (Specific) Pacific OceanMember, Arbiter Posts: 2,144
    Sirentist said:

Despite onyx being rare, AquaPhynn hurled it at the brains until their visas cracked; they then plummeted towards the open fire.

my onyx :(
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,310
    Okay, so three so far, yay!

SladedRogue and unknown, do you have any preference for captioning vs drawing, or are you good either way?
  • ClueboeClueboe The AoD Headquarters... Wherever it is...Member, Arbiter Posts: 2,295
    It's like telephone pictionary!
  • Fury_of_VulcanFury_of_Vulcan Member Posts: 376
    I'll do it if I can do the caption part.
    *sings to the tune of YMCA* E-P-Y-C!
    Just got word via PM that Philosopher is in for the first round. So at the moment we have:

SladedRogue
    unknown
    Grandpow (captioning)
    Philosopher
  • SladedRogueSladedRogue Hiding From Tjergoz's NukesMember Posts: 715
    Sirentist said:

SladedRogue and unknown, do you have any preference for captioning vs drawing, or are you good either way?

I'd be fine either way!

P.S.: Why's it called EPYC?
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai 空白 Kuuhaku~Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,388
    Im in!
  • ClueboeClueboe The AoD Headquarters... Wherever it is...Member, Arbiter Posts: 2,295
    I'll join!
    I'm partial to drawing, but either is fine.
  • Kukky2Kukky2 WinterMember Posts: 2,333
    I have no artistic talent whatsoever, so can i participate being a captioner?
  • Sirentist said:

I'm good either way.
  • GuardofthedragonGuardofthedragon Stargate CommandMember Posts: 2,623
    I am IN!
  • DeltaDelta _Member Posts: 460
    This seems familiar...
    Regardless, I'd like to caption!
    SladedRogue
    unknown
    Grandpow (captioning)
    Philosopher
    Fury_of_Vulcan (captioning)
    BiscuitsTD
    Clueboe (drawing)
    Kukky2 (captioning)
    Guardofthedragon
    Delta (captioning)

Woo hoo, that's the ten we need! If it turns out more people are interested, we can run two rounds at once. I'm about to run off right now to have dinner but I'll be back in a bit to kick this off. Keep an eye on your PM box for more information!
    Will you post the results afterwards?
  • jellysnakejellysnake /r/protectoredditMember Posts: 6,323
    Sign me up for the next round!
    I can squeeze you into this one, jellysnake -- you're already an honorary member for helping out with the abbreviated example!
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Knocking back a bag of Caprisun and stuffing my face with oreos because I'm an adult.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,927
    I want to join!! :D (i hope i can draw!)
    Okay, here's the lineup. I'm sending off the first caption for unknown to draw a picture from right after I finish posting this.

EPYC round 1 list:

unknown (drawing)
    SladedRogue (captioning)
    Philosopher (drawing)
    Grandpow (captioning)
    BiscuitsTD (drawing)
    Fury_of_Vulcan (captioning)
    Clueboe (drawing)
    Kukky2 (captioning)
    Guardofthedragon (drawing)
    Delta (captioning)
    jellysnake (drawing)
    Aw, shoot, p1nkbr0, I just this second sent off the finalized list!
  • AmberLABAmberLAB Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 1,719
    I would love to join the second round, if possible! :)
    Shouldn't it end with a caption?
  • AlanzliuAlanzliu Uptown FunkMember Posts: 1,599
    I volunteer as sacrific- I mean player..
    Right now unknown's drawing has been sent to SladedRogue, who will then send her or his caption on to Philosopher, and so on down the line. The people doing the drawings should make sure to send me copies of their images and the captions they drew from so I can compile them into the final post.

Sometimes it can take a couple days for a game to play out, since people are often on different time zones, etc.

If there are enough people who want to form a second group, we can totally do that. We can easily shuffle jellysnake over to group 2 ... which means we only need six more people to have a complete second group. It would be cool to see what two different groups did with the same starting caption!

Also, it doesn't really matter if it ends on a drawing or a caption; the game is pretty flexible that way.

And now I'm off to bed. I'll check back in the morning to see if it makes sense to get a second group going!
  • jellysnakejellysnake /r/protectoredditMember Posts: 6,323
    I don't mind where I am shunted.
    I can wait.
  • novapilot28novapilot28 Greyscale Member Posts: 421
    I wanna be a captioner pls
  • Berzerk08Berzerk08 Member Posts: 268
    I don't understand the name, But it sounds like fun!