Deepworld 2.0: A new aesthetic (part 2)

SystemSystem Posts: 2

imageDeepworld 2.0: A new aesthetic (part 2)

Early feedback on our aesthetic change has been, shall we say, “mixed”. I suppose that’s inevitable when introducing so much potential newness all at once. Not to mention the fact that our mockups are...

Read the full story here

Comments

• __H000____H000__ Your nightmares.Member Posts: 418
    This is significantly better than the last thread's pics.

LETS DO THIS!
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 4,956
    __H000__ said:

This is significantly better than the last thread's pics.

LETS DO THIS!

Mockups are dangerous :)
  • GuardofthedragonGuardofthedragon Stargate CommandMember Posts: 2,623
    So much more happy! See guys? The devs don't just abandon 3/4ths of the backstory of deepworld.
  • SpyroSpyro Sometimes I miss the top of the food chainMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,648
    edited February 2014
    Quinn drew all that really fast.

EDIT: hold on... did you say an ACTUAL stuffed terrapus? like real deepworld merchandise, or is that just something in-game?
  • ClueboeClueboe The AoD Headquarters... Wherever it is...Member, Arbiter Posts: 2,301
    Yay! No more Salvador Dali Bathtubs!
  • datackerdatacker Under a "Dwayne Johnson"Member Posts: 264
    @Aura The only thing so far i think is good is the globe because it has actual shadows and that good stuff, Plus it is seen at an angle
    The bad thing tho is they keep adding/makign everything lighter. Ex the red Stuffed terry is now like a pinkish.
  • TwelveFootTwelveFoot Member Posts: 1,305
    Aura said:

Still seems too cartoony for me :(

You must have some sense of compromise though. Based entirely upon these comparison screenshots I'm completely neutral about the change.
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    on my tiny screen, i didn't even know the stuffed cthulu had arms and legs...
  • GuardofthedragonGuardofthedragon Stargate CommandMember Posts: 2,623
    datacker said:

The bad thing tho is they keep adding/makign everything lighter. Ex the red Stuffed terry is now like a pinkish.

One word. One. Uno. Un. [FIRST] MOCKUP.
  • ZapfuryZapfury Member Posts: 3,142
    edited February 2014
    I like this! The items look refined and sharper looking.
    Hermitess said:

These still look a little too clean (I know; dirty will happen!). But they are not as startling, for sure. :)

If any of the furniture were found in the world, I think they'd need some dirt and grime, but if any were made new, I could see them looking more like this.

There could be a lot of game play possibility to discovered things looking different from freshly made things. An ability to make the found, dilapidated things look new, perhaps? That would definitely work for the clock. But that kind of goes back to possibly having too much to create when considering new item content. To be clear, I'm not talking about "keeping/maintaining the old and adding the new" so much as just having a dirty, broken version and a clean version of the new. My imagination got a little carried away, I'll admit.

I don't think an actual stuffed terrapus would be too difficult to make... :-? A challenge I may accept at some point.

Yeah, I would love to have "dirty/broken" versions when found in the wild. That starts to add to my worries of texture memory and such, but I guess it's mostly just furniture that would need it, so perhaps not so bad after all.
  • Scarlett_FoxxeScarlett_Foxxe ^Member Posts: 2,830
    It looks awesome, I especially love the wardrobe :)
  • KylerCAKylerCA UnchartedMember Posts: 809
    edited February 2014
    "PS: Who wants an actual stuffed terrapus? I sure do!”

YES. I’ve been wanting an actual merchandise shop for awhile. It could be done! :)

Now to the serious point: This looks nicer, the mock-up scared me indeed. I always find those dangerous. :) Although I will still miss the old style, the furniture here looks fine. Of course, a new texture overhall isn’t that bad seeing that the sprites do not differ too far from the originals (like what we saw in the mock-up). The mock-up really looked a little much for me. It looked all too different put together, which had immediately put me off.

However, I still wish to see the characters remaining as-is. I believe they could still fit in with the new things, just polish the current characters up a bit if need be, in my opinion. I can’t PvP players that look like the ones in the mock-up, you know? ;)

• KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,034
    @mikelaurence, could you keep the character styles as we have now.
  • Hero_ActHero_Act Android Palace, Mount SouthwoldMember Posts: 2,131
    MUCH better than the old ones. I like these ones a lot better than the others.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai ノーゲーム ノーライフ 〇Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,449
    Hermitess said:

These still look a little too clean (I know; dirty will happen!). But they are not as startling, for sure. :)

If any of the furniture were found in the world, I think they'd need some dirt and grime, but if any were made new, I could see them looking more like this.

There could be a lot of game play possibility to discovered things looking different from freshly made things. An ability to make the found, dilapidated things look new, perhaps? That would definitely work for the clock. But that kind of goes back to possibly having too much to create when considering new item content. To be clear, I'm not talking about "keeping/maintaining the old and adding the new" so much as just having a dirty, broken version and a clean version of the new. My imagination got a little carried away, I'll admit.

I don't think an actual stuffed terrapus would be too difficult to make... :-? A challenge I may accept at some point.

I would love to find dirty couches but still be able to place clean ones.
    KylerCA said:

"PS: Who wants an actual stuffed terrapus? I sure do!”

The mock-up really looked a little much for me. It looked all too different put together, which had immediately put me off.

Indeed. The mockups are useful more as a creative exercise to see what *might* look better.

I will tell you which elements I really particularly like in the mockups:

- The detailed belowground earth (though perhaps with a smidge less contrast)
    - The varied background earth
    - The very easily identifiable ore
    - The reinforced iron look
    - The fossil
    - The "crystal lights"

- The rope dividers in the balloon texture
    - The "reinforced wood"
    - The earth with iron topping & scaffolding
    LEGEND OF ZELDA IS FAVORITE SEQUEAL!
    Sirentist said:

An artful use of the "lesser of two evils" principle! First hit us with the most garish and extreme examples, and we'll be so grateful and relieved to see that the second set of examples is less garish and extreme that we'll put up much less of a fight in response. Well played!

Yes... the first step in my evil five-step multitiered "lesser of two evils" plan to announce Deepworld's gameplay change to jetpacking birds flying around cutting ropes to drop things into 8-bit mario pipes.