Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld 2.0: A new aesthetic (part 2)

Comments

• toadlovertoadlover Applying Woturr to the Urrth, to prevent the Ayerr from stoking the Phyrre.Posts: 6,431Member, Arbiter
    Ah yes, this is far easier on the eyes. It's really nice to see that there will be some items that will look relatively similar to their current counterparts (I'm really going to have to get used to the new shape for collectors, and I guess I won't be trying to put them through any round holes anymore). It's going to be kinda fun now to see what other kinds of new things are rolling out. Again, this is what this makes this game amazing. The developers actually listen and respond to feedback from their community.

I did notice one tiny quirk with the globe though. It looked as if you were slightly looking down on it, rather than straight on with it. The final image won't have that, right?
  • Berzerk08Berzerk08 Posts: 268Member
    I will enjoy the next few months of awesome deepworld. And then it will change to this.

I read in a post already why fix what isn't broken. I dont understand why we have to change it.

I dont understand why you would take away the game all of us expeirienced players know and love. Its not quite as heartbreaking as the first mockup i saw. But its still not deepworld.
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityPosts: 5,366Member, Administrator
    toadlover said:

It's really nice to see that there will be some items that will look relatively similar to their current counterparts (I'm really going to have to get used to the new shape for collectors,

Most non-tiling items will look quite similar. The only drastic changes will be earth and metal block styles and such, mainly adding detail and a little more weight (note the slight 3D effect on the reinforced iron - helps show it's foreground.)

That and possibly character art, we're not sure yet what those will ultimately look like. But don't worry, we will evaluate more options and request feedback when we get to that point (GUI/blocks are being done first.)
    toadlover said:

It's going to be kinda fun now to see what other kinds of new things are rolling out.

Indeed! More new GUI shots, some music, and totally sweet gameplay announcements coming soon!
  • SpyroSpyro We're only people (And theres not much anyone can do about that)Posts: 1,705Member, Arbiter

EDIT: hold on... did you say an ACTUAL stuffed terrapus? like real deepworld merchandise, or is that just something in-game?

Yes... one of these days I want a real, actual stuffed terrapus to hug and snuggle and whisper secrets to. I don't think they're actually that expensive to produce... :)

hell yeah! I would buy a ton of stuffed terrapuss's! I would have a collection!

PLEASE DO THIS!!!!

• SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,085Member, Moderator, Arbiter

Sirentist said:

An artful use of the "lesser of two evils" principle! First hit us with the most garish and extreme examples, and we'll be so grateful and relieved to see that the second set of examples is less garish and extreme that we'll put up much less of a fight in response. Well played!

Yes... the first step in my evil five-step multitiered "lesser of two evils" plan to announce Deepworld's gameplay change to jetpacking birds flying around cutting ropes to drop things into 8-bit mario pipes.
    LOL, if this is just step one of a five-step multitiered "lesser of two evils" plan, then there may be hope for the look and feel of the game yet!

The lesser of two evils technique has the added advantage of giving people a false sense of empowerment, as though their feedback is what resulted in the toning down of the greater evil -- when really the lesser evil was on hand all ready to go from the start.

Incidentally, the principle doesn't have to be consciously employed in order to have the desired effect. Although feigning innocence is another useful technique for undermining negative feedback :)
    Berzerk08 said:

I read in a post already why fix what isn't broken. I dont understand why we have to change it.

I dont understand why you would take away the game all of us expeirienced players know and love. Its not quite as heartbreaking as the first mockup i saw. But its still not deepworld.

It's not "broken" exactly, but these changes will almost certainly widen our player base. And we need that to happen for us to continue focusing on new feature development.
    Sirentist said:

Incidentally, the principle doesn't have to be consciously employed in order to have the desired effect. Although feigning innocence is another useful technique for undermining negative feedback :)

I do love mining under negative feedback.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Posts: 4,453Member, Arbiter
    Mike, can we have that tophat with the steampunk goggles you showed in the prefiew? I NEED A TOP HAT LIKE THAT.
  • ScharSchar Your ClosetPosts: 985Member
    Sirentist said:

It's not "broken" exactly, but these changes will almost certainly widen our player base. And we need that to happen for us to continue focusing on new feature development.

I understand the part about needing to attract more players. What confuses me is that it appears to be a conscious effort to attract much younger players. With all the age violation issues you already have, it strikes me as being potentially problematic. Unless of course you're planning on altering the game enough to actually legally lower the age limit.
    If they legally lower the age limit, what would happen to all the children who got their accounts deactivated for being underaged? That's the first thing that popped into my mind. Would they still be banned and forced to make a new account due to their offense being committed before the rule change? Or be forgiven due to the rule change?

Sirentist said:

I understand the part about needing to attract more players. What confuses me is that it appears to be a conscious effort to attract much younger players. With all the age violation issues you already have, it strikes me as being potentially problematic. Unless of course you're planning on altering the game enough to actually legally lower the age limit.
    You may be surprised to hear that the art style tests well amongst all age groups, not just youngsters.

Everybody plays the crap outta Candy Crush, no?
    Yes until you get to level 200+ and its like virtually impossible...

Sirentist said:

If they legally lower the age limit, what would happen to all the children who got their accounts deactivated for being underaged? That's the first thing that popped into my mind. Would they still be banned and forced to make a new account due to their offense being committed before the rule change? Or be forgiven due to the rule change?
    The legal thing is such a headache... I would love to get rid of the age limit, but the laws in the U.S. are very daunting to deal with.
  • SpyroSpyro We're only people (And theres not much anyone can do about that)Posts: 1,705Member, Arbiter
    okay, so,
    I am now actually EXCITED for this. so excited, i can hardly sleep without coming back to the Internets and saying this! its been a while since i have been so hyped for a game that I cant sleep over!
    I will dream about stuffed terrapusses and the new design and gameplay, and the windows version.
    just as long as you make the character design O.K. then I will have good dreams of the future!

Sirentist said:

I wouldn't like thr age limit being lowered, I dont want little kids running around yelling "i NEw, cAn i haz fre stufies liek onxy trone?".
  • SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,085Member, Moderator, Arbiter

Sirentist said:

I do love mining under negative feedback.
    Appeal to ridicule! Logical fallacies are AWESOME!

Sirentist said:

The legal thing is such a headache... I would love to get rid of the age limit, but the laws in the U.S. are very daunting to deal with.
    Well, it kinda is for the better of the community. The older players mostly seem to be more mature and enjoy having the company of other mature people. It is pretty obvious in game if someone is an under-aged child that just learned how to type or text.

Sirentist said:

Well, it kinda is for the better of the community. The older players mostly seem to be more mature and enjoy having the company of other mature people. It is pretty obvious in game if someone is an under-aged child that just learned how to type or text.
    True enough. Also, I suspect we'll see a lot older players once we're on Windows.

Sirentist said:

True enough. Also, I suspect we'll see a lot older players once we're on Windows.
    As long as something like ESRB doesn't show up and rate the game E or something we'll probably be fine. (then again.... they really don't rate the online interactions part of games do they? they rated games like WoW right? .... I'm talking to myself again.)
    Sirentist said:

You may be surprised to hear that the art style tests well amongst all age groups, not just youngsters.

Everybody plays the crap outta Candy Crush, no?

Oh, I didn't realize Candy Crush had a post-apocalyptic theme.
    Well I didn't see any brain candies or gear candies when playing...
  • redder89redder89 Somewhere over the rainbowPosts: 178Member
    I like this, just keep the characters the view they are in but polish it if you want to.
  • Berzerk08Berzerk08 Posts: 268Member
    I love reaper, i played the heck out of it. Wish they would update it
  • OtakuBeatzOtakuBeatz WonderlandPosts: 675Member
    The Stuffed Dolls are more cuter!
  • busterboy1528busterboy1528 The naughty cornerPosts: 859Member
    edited February 2014
    Just a idea here:

For all the people who don't like the idea could he have a switch that changes the graphics of the game, because I personally don't like the idea and would like to play the game as it is now.

Could you post a pic of what some paintings will look like because notch has that line line cross background on i
    And soon it won't!

I have no idea what the line line cross thing is...I'm trying to remember from my art class!
  • Junktruck98Junktruck98 Posts: 3,260Member

Just a idea here:

For all the people who don't like the idea could he have a switch that changes the graphics of the game, because I personally don't like the idea and would like to play the game as it is now.

Could you post a pic of what some paintings will look like because notch has that line line cross background on i
    And soon it won't!

I have no idea what the line line cross thing is...I'm trying to remember from my art class!

Cross hatching?
  • nucleartoenailnucleartoenail if you are reading this you are going to die in the next ten seconds!Posts: 355Member
    edited February 2014
    It's cool to see a game start out small—even as small as it was when I started a year ago turn out to be so big and I love all of the changes you guys are bringing. Keep up the good work!
    I can't wait to play v2
    Post edited by nucleartoenail on