Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Deepworld 2.0: A new aesthetic (part 2)

Comments

• Scarlett_FoxxeScarlett_Foxxe ^Member Posts: 2,830
    I actually think, and tell me if I'm wrong to think this here, but I actually think that, though this may look unplayable or "unapocalyptic" I believe that this, if it gets implemented, it will still have that deepworld feel, in other words, it will still be fun and the same deepworld we know today.

We came for the look and we stayed for the feel. As long as the feel isn't screwed up, why should we leave?
  • CattsworthCattsworth Nowhere. Or Dead.Member Posts: 769
    edited February 2014
    I Deleted this post; Even though I'm in strong disproval of the "New Aesthetic" It's wrong to All-Out practically insult the Devs. I mean they didn't say that they were adding this no matter what; they gave us a choice. We don't have to continue to act like a bunch of Nimwits.

Anyway, The "Mock-Up" in this thread is much Better; even though the Chair is extremely way to Orange.
    Post edited by Cattsworth on
  • DerHerrgottDerHerrgott Third Stone from the SunMember Posts: 662
    I would like to say though--

After participating in the 'Aesthetic part 1' discussion yesterday, my first thought when I got home and logged in was...

"Deepworld IS cross-hatching"
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,084
    edited February 2014
    You CAN include crosshatching in smooth design. It would be faint, but it would work.
  • darklord11darklord11 Crooklyn, Better Known as BrooklynMember Posts: 1,916
    This is a bit better... But I really don't like the "shininess" of the items. It looks like plastic which I really really hate.

Also, these are just a couple items. The blocks I saw in the other mockups are not great. WAAY to cartoonish.
  • DrAntlersDrAntlers Member Posts: 136
    If i put it up like this,
    This will start to look like an cartoon, not an steampunk game
    edited February 2014
    tjergoz said:

Well, the shape of the characters are fine as they are now. What if you just keep the current, 2D character shape and polish that so it fits the new, graphical style???

That is what I'Ve been saying.
    But it is an awsome idea :)
    Guy's I Am Sorry.
    I where rude to you.
    But deepworld is the best game i ever played,
    And i dont want too see many grate players Dissapier. :(
    edited February 2014
    So i will say sorry to you all especially @mikelaurence @lisa @hermitess
  • TechNoboOriginalTechNoboOriginal www.YouTube.com/TechNoboOrig Member Posts: 647
    Remind anyone else of Spelunky for pc or something else (the he one)
    One very similar comparison that comes to mind is the change that Valve developers (I think) made between Team Fortress and Team Fortress 2 (if anyone knows what I'm talking about).

I loved TF1, it was a great, fun game. When TF2 came out, I was shocked to see that, instead of more serious player models, they had fully embraced a very cartoony style.

I never got very interested in TF2 largely because of the direction that they went in, BUT-- it became a massive commercial success.

Only time will tell, and constructive feedback can only improve the odds that everyone will be happy with the final product.
  • SladedRogueSladedRogue Hiding From Tjergoz's NukesMember Posts: 715
    Man, this looks cool!
    Soooo... Now, who wants to sell me 1,000 wardrobes? ;)
  • GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,006
    Oh boy... What will building competition entries look like now... I like the sharper aspect of it, but I believe building structures will be much more difficult.

NO to the new character graphics.
  • HermitessHermitess Member Posts: 592
    xeedex12 said:

Guy's I Am Sorry.
    I where rude to you.

@xeedex12, it's understandable. :) It's a big change! We all want Deepworld to be the best it can be and to retain all the great players that already play, so the subject will definitely get heated at times.

But as long as we give clear feedback, then we'll be able to help the direction this change goes in; help the devs find a way to keep a similar look and feel, while appealing to a wider audience. They need that audience for the game to keep going. Think of the Chipotle! If only it weren't too cold to walk to it for lunch today...
  • lisalisa ice cream parlorAdministrator Posts: 5,129
    edited February 2014
    Berzerk08 said:

lisa said:

xeedex12 said:

@mikelaurence what would Runarii say if he saw The New Style?
    He would throw up.
    I am really sorry to say this.
    But you will lose many grate players after this update.

@xeedex12 I think we got it. You don't like it. That is fair. No one is saying everyone has to like the same thing. If you have something helpful to add, please feel free. Other than that, there is no need to continue to post that you hate it.
    You asked for feedback. If you only wanted to here good things maybe you should have pm'ed the mock-ups to all the 13-15 year olds.

Some one said that saying you hate it doesn't help the devs and to tell what you hate. Well i hate it all, everything, none of it makes me want to play a new version of deepworld.

The new globe design wouldn't be awful if it had the cartooniness scaled back a lot more. Every single other thing ive seen i hate. Is that helpful enough? You want to know what i like?
    Deepworld, the way it is.
    I don't think you understand my post. See how I spoke to one specific person? It is because he has made dozens of posts saying simply, "This sucks". That is not helpful. Never did I say we want to hear only good things. That is silly. Someone posting "this sucks" over and over with no helpful criticism is simply not helpful.
  • GabsterGabster Where tea rules supreme Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,142
    To be honest, i dont mind deepworld putting a finish on some of the the objects. But to me it just looks like the objects are losing their steampunkness. I just think the colours need to be toned down abit, it is the apocalypse after all so you don't want everything to be TO cheery. Other then that I think its fine
    Hermitess said:

xeedex12 said:

Guy's I Am Sorry.
    I where rude to you.

@xeedex12, it's understandable. :) It's a big change! We all want Deepworld to be the best it can be and to retain all the great players that already play, so the subject will definitely get heated at times.

But as long as we give clear feedback, then we'll be able to help the direction this change goes in; help the devs find a way to keep a similar look and feel, while appealing to a wider audience. They need that audience for the game to keep going. Think of the Chipotle! If only it weren't too cold to walk to it for lunch today...
    That's Right!
    Everything For The Chipotle
    @hermitess:)
  • dennis00149dennis00149 Member Posts: 93
    I really like the furniture, but the mobs and the clock needs a little bit of more work. I hope the character design improve...Anyway, great job Bytebin!
  • As many people said before me this will lose the steampunkish and postacolyptic style

Deepworld is meant to be a mysterious and dark game after a acopalyps
    This change makes it to much childish, while there is a age limitation
    I honestly that this only will pull more underaged children to DW, so the admin has more work todo.

Please dont think i hate you guys now bytebin
    But you wanted feedback, and i am not gonna give fake opinions just for you to like me.
  • Kukky2Kukky2 WinterMember Posts: 2,333
    edited February 2014
    I don't understand why you guys hate this so much. Look at Majoras mask. It was the darkest game in Zelda yet it had upbeat and cheery graphics. Also look at Terraria. The music in the game made it feel like you were on an adventure! What I think would happen if these graphics were implemented is the devs would add events that would make it feel like It is a post apocalyptic game. Although I do prefer darker games, as a mixed gamer I see this as a step towards success.

Edit: What would the crystals look like? Will the game be in HD? What kind of music will be ingame?
  • dmmagicdmmagic Your mom's house.Member Posts: 3,236
    In other words:

• Missy8409Missy8409 In your soupMember Posts: 979
    Okay,well,I really really like the new clock.And the new orange chair isn't so bad,it just needs its color toned down a bit :)
    How about... could we possibly get another new painting? Or 5?

salvador-dali-the-temptation-of-st-anthony.jpg
    750 x 574 - 68K
  • DaMorlockDaMorlock Member, Arbiter Posts: 3,641
    Much better! But it's still a bit much for me... oh well. I can live with it. :D