Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Deepworld 2.0: A new aesthetic (part 2)

Comments

• SollisionSollision Member Posts: 604
    What's tomorrow?
  • PhilosopherPhilosopher Member Posts: 1,250
    Sollision said:

What's tomorrow?

Coming "soon."
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,887

Sirentist said:

While I'd be interested in hearing more about the test audience of adults who are attracted to this sort of look in a computer game, Mike's statement that he wishes Deepworld could get rid of the age requirement, the basic (already-implemented) gameplay changes designed to accommodate and/or control young children, and this new brightly-colored, shiny-edged, plasticized/cartoonized aesthetic all suggest to me that the next phase of gaining more market appeal is to target a significantly younger playerbase.

I'm not saying this is what Bytebin is specifically trying to do -- just that it all seems to stack that way when I think back over how the game has changed from its origins. I'm also not saying that I think this is an inherently bad change. Personally, I don't like it, but I can appreciate the financial motivations.

We are not specifically targeting a younger audience. Game players of all ages respond to polish, detail, and color. I could list a hundred examples.
    Wait a minute ... what? I just carefully spelled out that I was NOT saying that you were specifically trying to do this. Yes, I did start out in earlier posts thinking that but I have dialed back from it in light of your responses. That's why I made a point of saying the part about how it may not be what Bytebin is specifically trying to do. What I am saying is that whatever your intentions, it is my belief that the game is and has been trending toward being progressively more appealing to and accommodating of younger and younger players. I'm also saying that this trend makes sense to me when I think of it in terms of financial considerations. Perhaps the game will also appeal to a wider audience in other directions, but I'm allowed to have the opinion that a young audience will be more favorably affected than an older one, even if that's not what your plan is.

If you'd prefer to believe that I am lying, well, that's your prerogative.

WTF? I most certainly haven't said I think you're lying, sheesh. (If you're referring to my earlier comment about feigned innocence, that was in relation to the use of the "lesser of two evils" thing, not in relation to your motivations for creating a new look for the game. Also, that comment was a joke, just as your teasing me about your fivefold multi-tiered plan was a joke.)

Also, why are you singling me out here to snap at? I'm only one of many people on these threads to say that I think the new aesthetic (or what you've revealed of it so far) makes me think the game looks like it's designed for little kids. My opinion on this should no more be taken as an attack on your moral integrity than anyone else's opinion has been.

The reason I'd like to get rid of the age restriction is that underage people play anyway, and we have to ruin their day whenever they let slip their age. Not because I want a flood of new youngsters. I highly doubt we'd see more of them anyway.

I guess only time will tell. I still think the new look will make the game more appealing to youngsters in a way it has not been so far, and I expect once it's implemented and hyped a bit, there will be an upsurge in young (i.e., under age 13) players. Again, so as not to be misunderstood, I want to say I could be totally wrong about this (in fact I'd love to be totally wrong about this), and in sharing my opinion I am not trying to insinuate that Mike or any other Bytebin staff member is a liar, cheater, rotten egg, or any other disreputable sort. Except Lisa, who is totally a rotten egg.

Anyhow, I didn't come here to beat a dead horse. I just wanted to clarify my comments and concerns so that no one thinks I'm trying to disparage anyone. I apologize for any misunderstanding, and hope I've managed to explain myself without making things worse.
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,084
    Sollision said:

@mikelaurence
    I just think you should clean up the current graphics, but not too polished like this. :)
    I'm not going to lie, I LOVE these part two graphics, but it doesn't fit Deepworld at all. It looks like a totally different game.

I've been debating this argument from both sides for the past few days.

It, in fact, IS a whole new game. It runs on a different client and will function similarly, but very differently.

The thing I've been pondering is how far away will this game stray from the original. If it is a new game, will it be a completely different game? Will it remain the same? How different is too different when we're talking about such large sweeping changes to gameplay and design?

I feel that a compromise between the two extremes of graphics. Old vs the first "mock-ups."

I feel like they're heading in the right direction with the second set of images. I'd like to see redesigned versions of current items. The globe is one of my favorites because it adds a sense of depth. It's very nice that the new furniture pieces resemble old versions, but have a nice, modern spin on it.

I think if we can keep going at it, and tweak things, it'll turn out great in the end. :)
  • Cody5110Cody5110 Member Posts: 28
    Yea do it woooo
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453

I'm with Siren on this. The old art was what made the game and it should keep it's original flavor. Just a few things that I think should remain constant: dirtyness of items, dark shades, dreary overall look, 2D perspective (That globe just looks freakin weird, probably more so in a 2D world), and lack of cartoonishness. At least try to keep something reminiscent of the hand-drawn look rather than muticolored plastic toys on a screen. If the art continues to looks this way I doubt I'll be back for one of my week-long DeepWorld addictions again. Also, perhaps coming out with new features when they're planned to come out would attract a larger audience as well. I've been playing playing DW on and off for quite awhile waiting for Mushroom Wine to come to fruition. I got on yesterday and saw some strange-colored game created for little kids to play instead. I must say, this has been quite the let-down.

He returns! :D
  • DrAntlersDrAntlers Member Posts: 136
    Well.. There is nothing to do about it! They allreddy decided
    -ignore- ^

Stupid AutoCorect =D>
  • Kukky2Kukky2 WinterMember Posts: 2,333
    Will the game be in HD? What would crystals look like? What type of music?
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,326
    Some things I would like to know.
    1. What company has been brought in?
    2. Is something like this going to happen and we can only change it slightly?
  • MarauderMarauder SunMember Posts: 1,133
    I have a question, will the new aesthetic affect the performance on iPad 2?
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,035
    Sorry devs, I'm not liking this a bit, it's just my opinion, Although if this were implemented, I'd take a break from deepworld. Bring it to the point, it's fine for me, my complaint is the bright colours and character, they stress me up. I get if you're trying to bring more players, but the language in this game is very foul in my opinion. I would not Quit but take a break from deepworld if this were implemented. The post apocalyptic feel kinda made me get this in the first place and kept playing! I also have a complaint: This kinda makes my building a little bit frustrating to do so, because of the new cross-hatches and mock-ups. In caves the background is glitched or is it supposed to be that? Purple. I do like is the reinforced items and the steam valves from the pipes, I do not like the character as it makes your character WAY different. The dirt is fine, but I feel like every single earth block is a fossil. As well, if the characters change, so as the Mobs too. I get Quinn is working non-stop to get the textures right and so. The bright colors, though, annoy me. I don't care if it's cartoony, I just wish you could keep the real characters we have now, it's difficult to find a good style that matches with what you shown us. Quinn, I really like the artwork and you make it pleasing to actually play deepworld. My main complaint is how the character looks like and the positioning of your character. Oh, I almost forgot about exoskeletons, wouldn't that stress Quinn on how the skeletons look like? I can really appreciate the work and test it, but after that, I may take 2-6 weeks from it and get to my usual thing: Playing video games on the Xbox :P. But for now, I feel like it's exceptional to have this. Looking at the Clearvale spawn, I realized, you change the blue roofing to Green roofing, may you make a new roofing into blue form? Mainly I'd like my question asked: When will the iOS version if this arrive? I'd like to enjoy the memories while I can. Bring on the updates! Now keep the Steampunk type feel continue!
  • Kukky2Kukky2 WinterMember Posts: 2,333
    Quinn will not be drawing anymore @XaviBandit. They got a company to draw this.
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,035
    Kukky2 said:

Quinn will not be drawing anymore @XaviBandit. They got a company to draw this.

Ah, thanks @kukky2!
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
    xeedex12 said:

So i will say sorry to you all especially @mikelaurence @lisa @hermitess

Funny how when other people tell him to stop overreacting, he doesn't. Lisa and another famous player comes and he listens.

Little ass kisser.
    Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Funny how when other people tell him to stop overreacting, he doesn't. Lisa and another famous player comes and he listens.

Little ass kisser.
    the funny thing is that i come back after six months for underage. then you and you´re friend hecate start to lie about my age. my birthday is in february.
    not june or what ya said. so please stop
    thank`s
    xeedex12 said:

Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Little ass kisser.
    the funny thing is that i come back after six months for underage. then you and you´re friend hecate start to lie about my age. my birthday is in february.
    thank`s
    and i am not the ass kisser you fool!
    edited February 2014
    -ignore this post-
    Post edited by DrAntlers on
    xeedex12 said:

xeedex12 said:

Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Little ass kisser.
    thank`s
    and i am not the ass kisser you fool!
    Sure. Whatever.

Point is people have been telling you to stop overreacting, and you only listen when lisa/some other famous player tells you to.

Also, the age things aren't related to the ass kissing. Hmph.
  • lisalisa ice cream parlorAdministrator Posts: 5,129
    Sirentist said:

Sirentist said:

While I'd be interested in hearing more about the test audience of adults who are attracted to this sort of look in a computer game, Mike's statement that he wishes Deepworld could get rid of the age requirement, the basic (already-implemented) gameplay changes designed to accommodate and/or control young children, and this new brightly-colored, shiny-edged, plasticized/cartoonized aesthetic all suggest to me that the next phase of gaining more market appeal is to target a significantly younger playerbase.

I'm not saying this is what Bytebin is specifically trying to do -- just that it all seems to stack that way when I think back over how the game has changed from its origins. I'm also not saying that I think this is an inherently bad change. Personally, I don't like it, but I can appreciate the financial motivations.

We are not specifically targeting a younger audience. Game players of all ages respond to polish, detail, and color. I could list a hundred examples.
    Wait a minute ... what? I just carefully spelled out that I was NOT saying that you were specifically trying to do this. Yes, I did start out in earlier posts thinking that but I have dialed back from it in light of your responses. That's why I made a point of saying the part about how it may not be what Bytebin is specifically trying to do. What I am saying is that whatever your intentions, it is my belief that the game is and has been trending toward being progressively more appealing to and accommodating of younger and younger players. I'm also saying that this trend makes sense to me when I think of it in terms of financial considerations. Perhaps the game will also appeal to a wider audience in other directions, but I'm allowed to have the opinion that a young audience will be more favorably affected than an older one, even if that's not what your plan is.

If you'd prefer to believe that I am lying, well, that's your prerogative.

WTF? I most certainly haven't said I think you're lying, sheesh. (If you're referring to my earlier comment about feigned innocence, that was in relation to the use of the "lesser of two evils" thing, not in relation to your motivations for creating a new look for the game. Also, that comment was a joke, just as your teasing me about your fivefold multi-tiered plan was a joke.)

Also, why are you singling me out here to snap at? I'm only one of many people on these threads to say that I think the new aesthetic (or what you've revealed of it so far) makes me think the game looks like it's designed for little kids. My opinion on this should no more be taken as an attack on your moral integrity than anyone else's opinion has been.

The reason I'd like to get rid of the age restriction is that underage people play anyway, and we have to ruin their day whenever they let slip their age. Not because I want a flood of new youngsters. I highly doubt we'd see more of them anyway.

I guess only time will tell. I still think the new look will make the game more appealing to youngsters in a way it has not been so far, and I expect once it's implemented and hyped a bit, there will be an upsurge in young (i.e., under age 13) players. Again, so as not to be misunderstood, I want to say I could be totally wrong about this (in fact I'd love to be totally wrong about this), and in sharing my opinion I am not trying to insinuate that Mike or any other Bytebin staff member is a liar, cheater, rotten egg, or any other disreputable sort. Except Lisa, who is totally a rotten egg.

Anyhow, I didn't come here to beat a dead horse. I just wanted to clarify my comments and concerns so that no one thinks I'm trying to disparage anyone. I apologize for any misunderstanding, and hope I've managed to explain myself without making things worse.
    I thought I told you about my rotten egg genes in secret. NICE FRIEND YOU ARE!!!
    edited February 2014
    lisa said:

Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Little ass kisser.
    Wait, so someone finally listens to reason and they get called names? That isn't right at all and simply discourages changing behaviour. If anything he should be commended for the change. It is very easy to always see only the negative; it takes effort and talent to look for the good.
    So people will only change if they get scolded by an authority figure.

If it's someone else, they won't listen.

Everyone could tell him to stop overreacting, but he'd only listen to some famous person, or you, or devs, tell him to.

Okay, he changed, congratulations.

How the heck are we sure if it's genuine?
    Dracul said:

lisa said:

Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Little ass kisser.
    Wait, so someone finally listens to reason and they get called names? That isn't right at all and simply discourages changing behaviour. If anything he should be commended for the change. It is very easy to always see only the negative; it takes effort and talent to look for the good.

Everyone could tell him to stop overreacting, but he'd only listen to some famous person, or you, or devs, tell him to.
    Ok Say Three Other's That Said "Stop"
    Thank You.
  • lisalisa ice cream parlorAdministrator Posts: 5,129
    xeedex12 said:

Dracul said:

lisa said:

Dracul said:

xeedex12 said:

Little ass kisser.

Ok Say Three Other's That Said "Stop"
    Thank You.
    No. This distraction is over. This thread will go back on topic now.