Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

GDC 2014 Recap: Knowledge, sushi, and a new leveling system for Deepworld!

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,313
We learned a lot at our time in GDC! Check out some bits and pieces and then discuss our plans for a new XP-based leveling system in Deepworld!

http://blog.deepworldgame.com/post/80408979710/gdc-2014-recap-and-lessons-for-deepworld

Comments

• JalopwJalopw Village hidden in the sandMember Posts: 532
    edited March 2014
    Wow!! This sounds AMAZING!!!!!
  • Dewgong03Dewgong03 Carnival Member Posts: 450
    edited March 2014
    Wait...mike, what is this about androids with personalities? -Stares at own android (Harvey)-
    -stares at android memory units- Hm...
    Post edited by Dewgong03 on
  • ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,992
    YUS!
    Amaze-ballz
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453
    SUSHI :D
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,035
    Aww, I like the skills as it is, but does add a new use for that bar for our username!
  • SladedRogueSladedRogue Hiding From Tjergoz's NukesMember Posts: 715
    AWESOME! I especially can't wait for the storylines! I've been waiting for those for a while.
  • Ripcord24Ripcord24 A land called China...Member Posts: 1,009
    Epic ness...
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,324
    I love all of this.
    At first glance I was wary of the xp system mentioned but it feels like it is a good improvement.

One minor thing though.
    Could we get xp from doing things like, growing flowers and getting up-votes?
    It's just I feel that more focus has been on the more 'active' part of Deepworld and that it would be nice to have more emphasis on the 'passive' side. For the people that don't go round bombing everyone in PvP (Or even do PvP), and for the people that like to build, and chat with other players over slaughtering brains in some dungeon.

I do really like the storyline sections. Brain invasions was actually a player suggestion! I do like the idea of giving android personalities. Would cats and dogs get them as well?
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHH!
  • Kukky2Kukky2 WinterMember Posts: 2,333
    XP = Amazing Idea! I would suggest some perks for leveling up like maybe cloths. Nothing that would give the player an advantage over other players, though.
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,313

I love all of this.
    At first glance I was wary of the xp system mentioned but it feels like it is a good improvement.

One minor thing though.
    Could we get xp from doing things like, growing flowers and getting up-votes?
    It's just I feel that more focus has been on the more 'active' part of Deepworld and that it would be nice to have more emphasis on the 'passive' side. For the people that don't go round bombing everyone in PvP (Or even do PvP), and for the people that like to build, and chat with other players over slaughtering brains in some dungeon.

Yep, we will be adding XP bonuses to as many different kinds of play as possible. Building is hard to track due to how free-form it is, but we have some ideas there too. Feel free to supply your own, too - flowers is a good example I hadn't thought of!
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,077
    wait wait wait... GEN 3??? :D :D :D
  • Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloMember Posts: 1,583
    @mikelaurence‌ you may of made a typo. Isnt it supposed to be 81 skill levels?

The blog said:
    Player levels will be constrained to match skill totals, not achievements. With 9 skills and 9 points applicable to each, that means you’ll be able to get to level 82. And will skill books and brain wines still exist?
  • OtakuBeatzOtakuBeatz WonderlandMember Posts: 675
    So.. Awesome..
    Everywhen said:

wait wait wait... GEN 3??? :D :D :D

Yep, a new dungeon gen system is in the works. We'll have a blog post up in a couple weeks once we're sure it works okay :)

@mikelaurence‌ you may of made a typo. Isnt it supposed to be 81 skill levels?

The blog said:
    Player levels will be constrained to match skill totals, not achievements. With 9 skills and 9 points applicable to each, that means you’ll be able to get to level 82. And will skill books and brain wines still exist?

You start at level 1 :)
  • ZstormGamesZstormGames http://www.youtube.com/zstormhMember Posts: 2,044
    Its finally here.....i at first thought of a xp like system when i first joined....but it quickly faded after i got sucked into the amazingness that we all know as "Deepworld".
  • Junktruck98Junktruck98 Member Posts: 3,260
    Sweet! Can't wait to see the story line being slowly unveiled, and also to make friends with androids.
  • MisterMondayMisterMonday ArcanGrove / The Lower HouseMember Posts: 286
    Time to crush the android revolt MUAHAHAHAHAHA
  • ProSniperProSniper Learning how to snipe better than youMember Posts: 274
    Cool I like the idea @mikeIaurence‌
  • IpadpatIpadpat ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡ BLUE癒しの海Member Posts: 1,349
    Sushi^ ~~ Yeaa!! I wanz ah!
  • ZapfuryZapfury Member Posts: 3,142
    Brain invasions...finally!! \m/
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,084
    I saw the blog post about this! It all sounds really good. I'm starting to get impatient with testing!! There's so much stuff i want to try out now! :D
  • perplexingplatypusperplexingplatypus 9 3/4 Deepworld street, Memevile, Ios, 4815162342Member Posts: 390
    Almost makes me hopeful for the new update. =D>
  • BloonsmineBloonsmine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯Member Posts: 2,314

We learned a lot at our time in GDC! Check out some bits and pieces and then discuss our plans for a new XP-based leveling system in Deepworld!

http://blog.deepworldgame.com/post/80408979710/gdc-2014-recap-and-lessons-for-deepworld

Game developer convention..Hmm
  • USAFpilottannerUSAFpilottanner ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡ BLUE癒しの海Member Posts: 742
    Can't WAIT!!! :D
  • AmberLABAmberLAB Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 1,719
    Will we earn XP points when we hit a new amount of items mined? For instance, when someone mines their 1,000,000th block?
    AmberLAB said:

Will we earn XP points when we hit a new amount of items mined? For instance, when someone mines their 1,000,000th block?

Good idea!
  • Junktruck98Junktruck98 Member Posts: 3,260
    Whilst we're all shooting ideas for xp, what about xp docking? Will there be XP lost from death, or from negative actions like bombing players (karma)?
  • ZapfuryZapfury Member Posts: 3,142
    Will the current dungeon raids and everything thing else carry over for the XP or will everyone start "fresh"?