There have been a couple of similar discussions, but this one is for weapons that could actually be added to the game (nothing that is overpowered or with an overly large effect).
Deepworld needs more weapons.
Currently, There are only around 6 different guns in the game and several melee weapons; definitely not enough for variety. Most players would also stick to their strongest weapon. Adding more weapons to the game would improve variety and allow for more choices.
The current weapons have several different attack types (physical, steam(heat?), cold, fire and electricity(?)) and there are enemies with different resistances (skeleton terrapus resists electricity). These attack types should be built upon with future weapons and enemies.
Here I have some possible guns:
- Freeze gun:
- - Like the frost gun, but it slows down the target's movement speed.
- - Slightly more expensive and specialised than the frost gun
- Fireball gun:
- - Slower than the flamethrower, less bullet drop (like fire turret).
- Acid sprayer:
- - Shoots a continuous stream of acid particles
- - Extra-long particle life: Good for caves or making temporary acid pools
- - Same damage as acid pool
- Some sort of high-powered rifle:
- - Basically any kind of long range weapon
- - Maybe even something that shoots a beam of compressed steam (how is that possible?)
- - Slower, high damage, almost no bullet drop, piercing(?)
- - knock-back?
- Mechanical crossbow:
- - ^See above^
- - Shoots either a single heavy round or a bunch of shards (they could be one object for collision purposes)
- - Better for close range (the damage could be relative to remaining particle life)
- - Basically a shotgun
- Steampunk gatling gun
- - Handheld, shoots much faster and consumes more steampower than the musket
- - Knock-back on user, even higher knock-back if the user is not grounded
- - There could be a slower automatic rifle version (between musket and gatling gun)
Above I have mentioned knock-back and piercing attacks.
Knock-back is basically non-existent in the current weapons but it wouldn't be hard to implement.
Piercing attacks are more difficult to implement. Maybe piercing through blocks can also be affected by the block type (reinforced blocks could stop all projectiles while wood lets things through).
Currently, the energy cannon has the best range and damage which means that most players would use this weapon for everything. If some of these weapons with different effects were to be implemented; even the guy with all of the weapons wouldn't opt for the same gun on every occasion.
Currently, the best melee weapon is the fine sledgehammer, I'm not sure if it works in PvP though.
What about swords?
More stuff needed.
How would these function? Terraria's directional attacking with spears was pretty good.
Throwable grenades have also been mentioned.
I have tried to retexture some of the sprites to illustrate these examples. The colours could be more contrasting, but they are fine for now.
Edited frost gun sprite (supposed to be a freeze gun)Second picture:
Weapon cartridges (shadow, extra, shield, scatter)?Third picture:
Edited musket (supposed to be a blunderbuss)Fourth picture:
Edited acid gun (supposed to be acid sprayer)Fifth picture:
Edited pistol (some weapons could have more powerful variations)Sixth picture:
Edited flamethrower (supposed to be crossbow (it's small though))Seventh picture:
Edited fine sledgehammer (What are other possibilities of melee weapons?)