Our new Space Biome update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Huge OpenSSL Security Bug Found!!! [Important]

p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
edited April 2014 in Events
So apparently there's quite a huge breech in the system that "secures" websites. This bug affects all OpenSSL builds from the past two years and when used, information such as passwords, usernames, credit card numbers, contacts, etc can be taken without a trace.
if you’ve never heard of OpenSSL, it’s probably a part of your life in one way or another — or, more likely, in many ways. The apps you use, the sites you visit; if they encrypt the data they send back and forth, there’s a good chance they use OpenSSL to do it. The Apache web server that powers something like 50% of the Internet’s web sites, for example, utilizes OpenSSL.
You can read more information about it here!!!

It's suggested that you change your passwords for, like, EVERYWHERE!! ESPECIALLY high-security sites such as email providers, banks, etc.

Edit: Changed the category cause i forgot to.

Comments

• stanicek3stanicek3 Gillingham KeepMember Posts: 391
    Meh... Can @lisa change the numbers in my password around? I don't feel like going to every website... I don't even know how to change my password on these forums...
  • mike887mike887 Member Posts: 1,619
    p1nkbr0 said:

So apparently there's quite a huge breech in the system that "secures" websites. This bug affects all OpenSSL builds from the past two years and when used, information such as passwords, usernames, credit card numbers, contacts, etc can be taken without a trace.

if you’ve never heard of OpenSSL, it’s probably a part of your life in one way or another — or, more likely, in many ways. The apps you use, the sites you visit; if they encrypt the data they send back and forth, there’s a good chance they use OpenSSL to do it. The Apache web server that powers something like 50% of the Internet’s web sites, for example, utilizes OpenSSL.
    You can read more information about it here!!!

It's suggested that you change your passwords for, like, EVERYWHERE!! ESPECIALLY high-security sites such as email providers, banks, etc.

Edit: Changed the category cause i forgot to.

SPAMBOT!!! ITS A SPAMBOT!!! jk
    edited April 2014
    What if you're a member of over 30 websites... -LazyFace-

Edit: Thought I was editing my original post...
  • HermitessHermitess Member Posts: 592
    stanicek3 said:

What if you're a member of over 30 websites... -LazyFace-

Edit: Thought I was editing my original post...

Well, then it's your accounts that are on the line and if any of them get compromised, it's on you for not doing something to prevent it. You've been given the knowledge, it's up to you what you do with it.

On that note, thank you for sharing, p1nk.
    Good thing I have a spare password incase this ever happened. When the breach is repaired and life turns to normal. My passwords shall, too.
  • PhilosopherPhilosopher Member Posts: 1,250
    edited April 2014
    Nobody said anything about a fix, so it's on the administrators if they didn't see this text file. Heh.

Keep spreading the word, so they will apply the emergency patch asap. :)

https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140407.txt