Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld is back online after a system outage. Thanks for your patience.

[Idea] Nerfed consumables

OxidisOxidis Posts: 794Member, Arbiter
Currently, there are lots of players complaining about players "spamming" jerky or canisters, especially in PvP. Although these items are perfectly legitimate, there is reason for that though. While continuously eating jerky you can heal health quickly enough to survive in many dangerous situations such as being sandwiched between several brains. Having jerky is effectively like having an extended health bar.

So what if consumables were reduced in effectiveness?
A common solution would be adding a delay (cool-down) between uses, in this case there could be a global cool-down of maybe 7 seconds between uses of any consumable. This way, if someone tries to spam consumables, they wouldn't be able to heal so quickly and would eventually get killed by the brains or by that guy in PvP. And being able to guzzle a piece of jerky in a split second does seem sort of strange, doesn't it?
Another way could be slowing down the effect of healing. In some games, a healing item might heal 5 hp over 5 seconds and so on. Again, this would prevent players from easily healing large amounts of health in a short space of time.
I hope the devs can consider something like this, any opinions?

Comments

• OxidisOxidis Posts: 794Member, Arbiter
    And if it reduces the amount of players accusing others of "spamming" jerky, that would be great.
    The effect of this reducing dungeon-raiding abilities is good though. Sometimes when raiding dungeons, I just leap into danger knowing that jerky can heal health faster than it is lost. If there was a cool-down, everyone would have to be a lot more cautious and patient.
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugePosts: 1,559Member
    ^It's good for people who can actually play so I'm for it, despite my dungeon raiding skills being subpar.
  • toadlovertoadlover Applying Woturr to the Urrth, to prevent the Ayerr from stoking the Phyrre.Posts: 6,432Member, Arbiter
    This is certainly an interesting idea. I wonder if a happy medium can be met, and this can be a command for world owners, to have nerfed consumables or not. I guess, if this were to go universal, the devs did say that they wished to make dungeons a bit harder (or something like that). This would be a way to do it.
  • AetherAether Knocking on the door of the Ban Hammer FactoryPosts: 1,801Member
    If this were to happen i could never raid again and I have full hearts....
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Posts: 4,035Member, Arbiter
    I am not a big fan of the ideas that were told. Increasing cool down is quite insane when enemies do hard amount of damage and brains are so stupid, they get stuck in doorways and entrances, you need a ton of jerky in order to raid it. Dying is fine, but there are too many thieves to get through to have your progress saved. In my opinion, I think a better way is to make the jerky itself harder to make. Such as, making salt noticeably rarer, making it hard way to obtain it. And making the requirement of 7 giblets and 3 salt in order to make 3 jerky. That would make it hard to make jerky. And selling salt would be more popular in order to do your roam. But I slightly agree with making a longer cools own, but 2 seconds instead, because I can eat a bag of jerky in 5 minutes....
  • OutofthelyricOutofthelyric Posts: 1,953Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree that we should have like a 3 second cooldown on consumeables.
    Simply for the anti jerky spammers etc.
    However I strongly disagree that we should use more giblets for the same amount of jerky.
    I'm already barely hanging in there as it is.
    ETA: Also: for those guys who believe they can never raid again: in dungeon there were semi/saferooms to heal up, You can use the jerky in there.
    Post edited by Outofthelyric on
  • __H000____H000__ Your nightmares.Posts: 418Member
    Shikrain said:

I am not a big fan of the ideas that were told. Increasing cool down is quite insane when enemies do hard amount of damage and brains are so stupid, they get stuck in doorways and entrances, you need a ton of jerky in order to raid it. Dying is fine, but there are too many thieves to get through to have your progress saved. In my opinion, I think a better way is to make the jerky itself harder to make. Such as, making salt noticeably rarer, making it hard way to obtain it. And making the requirement of 7 giblets and 3 salt in order to make 3 jerky. That would make it hard to make jerky. And selling salt would be more popular in order to do your roam. But I slightly agree with making a longer cools own, but 2 seconds instead, because I can eat a bag of jerky in 5 minutes....

I read a blog that said that the devs were thinking about making brains passable; in other words, you will be able to walk through them, but it'll slow your speed and you will take damage.
    Nooooo this cant happen!!!!
    Yes, yes it can. I'm not a good raider, far from it. But this adds challenge to the game. It's true that as long as you have jerkies, youre fine.
    Well whatever i feel this wont happen.
  • FloralFloral Eating a krabby patty!Posts: 1,838Member
    No, want to know why? Of course you do, well a player has a freedom to choose either he/she wants to use Jerky. Also jerky is not unlimited it runs very quick.
  • DrHeisenbergDrHeisenberg Posts: 554Member
    Yeah. Plus, it's impossible to stuff and swallow jerkies really fast.
  • DrHeisenbergDrHeisenberg Posts: 554Member
    Yeah. Plus, it's impossible to stuff and swallow jerkies really fast.
  • LyvenLyven Shuttered PalacePosts: 6,453Member
    Floral said:

No, want to know why? Of course you do, well a player has a freedom to choose either he/she wants to use Jerky. Also jerky is not unlimited it runs very quick.

Yeah, but id love to finally
    1: on a personal note, stop people from accusing me from using jerkeys
    2: stop seeing complaints and "pro" people from using jerkeys

I know and i respect that people have the right to use jerkeys, but saying that they dont and that they are just "pro" is simply ridiculous
    Having a cool-down for consumables is a common thing in many games and it works well for preventing things from being overpowered.
    Floral said:

Players will still have the freedom to choose to eat jerky, they just won't be able to do it as quickly.

And to those who think it would make dungeon raiding too difficult: Have you considered not ramming yourself against brains?
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WPosts: 5,119Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    I like the idea of HOT style healing.
    Maybe something like the League of legends style potion, where you can use a certain amount, but they stack, and each only activates after the last one has worn off? And also throw in a visible to everyone sparkle effect or something?
    That way you can set up healing support before PVP or a dungeon, have a constant damage buffer in place, and people can see that you have it active (end the "YOU USED JERKY" fights)
    Everywhen said:

Maybe something like the League of legends style potion, where you can use a certain amount, but they stack, and each only activates after the last one has worn off? And also throw in a visible to everyone sparkle effect or something?
    That way you can set up healing support before PVP or a dungeon, have a constant damage buffer in place, and people can see that you have it active (end the "YOU USED JERKY" fights)

Everywhen stahp. I've quit league, this makes me wanna play again. (Damn it, Soulstealer vlad skin)
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WPosts: 5,119Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    Dracul said:

Everywhen said:

Everywhen stahp. I've quit league, this makes me wanna play again. (Damn it, Soulstealer vlad skin)
    Soulstealer vlad was overrated...
    Debonair Vi and Ez on the other hand..
    I love how Vi is one of the guys...

Also. I haven't played a game on my main LoL account since my break form deepworld.
    I have a smurf, but haven't levelled it really.

Anyways... On topic again, I forgot to mention different healing items (jerky/power jerky) would probabley have different regen rates in this system, so the effects would probably be different.
    Well, I use Vlad a lot, and I'm too poor to get Blood Lord

I do however, have Marquis. :p
    Oooh nice :D
    I main Ori :D
  • Xx_THEMIG_xXXx_THEMIG_xX I'm in the Wayne mansion..Oh wait.No..i Mean the batcave!Posts: 367Member
    What i thought when i read the thread title.
    image.jpg
    218 x 231 - 13K
  • KingfarahKingfarah Michigan, Sterling HeightsPosts: 152Member
    BOOOOOOO! I has 5890 jerky I VOTE DOWN FOR THIS!
  • AquaPhynnAquaPhynn Posts: 2,195Member, Arbiter
    Kingfarah said:

Lol.
    This shan't happen
    image.jpg
    300 x 168 - 12K
  • __H000____H000__ Your nightmares.Posts: 418Member
    edited July 2014
    Aether said:

This shan't happen

image.jpg
    229 x 128 - 11K
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Posts: 4,453Member, Arbiter
    I just dont like jerky in pvp at all. This sounds like a good alternative though! Dungeons are nothing to my superior 15 survival and 14 agility :D
  • LyvenLyven Shuttered PalacePosts: 6,453Member
    Kingfarah said:

Is that nessesary to tell, or are you just trying to shove in our faces that you got that much, this is about giving them a cooldown and tell your ideas, not to say no just because you have 5k jerkeys.
    If this happens I'll laugh my ass off.

Not because I can't raid anymore, more because all these children will whine about how hard the game is.

This probably won't happen since most players are kids who think they're "pro" and only play to get rares, and when they realize how hard it actually is, they be like "SOHARDOMGWTFBBQ" and ragequit.

Sad truth.