Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Challenge Submissions: Turn Your Builds into Official "Loot Destinations"

Comments

• Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloPosts: 1,584Member
    T23R said:

Gilby said:

T23R said:

Sooooo when is this thing actually ending it feels like two months .-.

It never ends, but the devs are really busy. They still need to check some of these.
    Ok but where are some of the winners??? i would like to play some of them for the chest of plenty
    agreed @mikelaurence‌
  • Peter100Peter100 WoozworldPosts: 54Member
    T23R said:

This will never end :)
  • NexeusNexeus Hope LegionPosts: 327Member

T23R said:

Gilby said:

T23R said:

It never ends, but the devs are really busy. They still need to check some of these.
    Ok but where are some of the winners??? i would like to play some of them for the chest of plenty
    agreed @mikelaurence‌
    agreed again @mikelaurence‌
  • DaltsDalts Loading...Posts: 565Member
    So the loot will be decided by developers?
    DaltTD said:

So the loot will be decided by developers?

Yes.
  • OxidisOxidis Posts: 794Member, Arbiter

I'm planning to get the first batch of these added next week, so stay tuned!

Challenge submissions is a brilliant idea for a game of this type and I think they should have been added long ago.
    Think about it. This allows for players to create new semi-official content for the game, which saves the devs a lot of time and effort while adding more things to do in the game.
    I'm sure many people would like to take a break from the grind of raiding the same dungeons and getting random loot all the time. With loot destinations, there will be new and unique challenges with the certainty of predetermined loot.
    Featured challenges can also help to give more visibility to interesting creations and worlds and encourage people to build something special.

Of course, these benefits don't really apply until you actually start adding some…
    @mikelaurence
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityPosts: 5,367Member, Administrator
    I still have two days left to make good on my word... :p
  • TheBlindEyeTheBlindEye Posts: 684Member
    Soooooo this will never end so we can still post our own distination loot even if it's like 2 years?? (Just wondering)
    @mikelaurence After your first batch of dungeons, how often will you search for new batches?
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesPosts: 3,131Member
    Mike.. Oxidis's Evil lab seriously needs a chest o' plenty in it.

It took an hour and a half of painstaking failure after failure to get to the loot room..
    No glitching, and with agility 15.

It's supposedly doable with a non-premium account as well, but I gave up trying xD
    image.jpg
    1334 x 750 - 333K
  • NoobishNoobish If you put a potato in front of the moon, the moon looks like a potato.Posts: 350Member
    Survive the durability test for 5,000,000 onyx
    image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 280K
  • BloonsmineBloonsmine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯Posts: 2,329Member
    Noobish said:

@Noobish Is this a joke? Or is this real.Because this post is for Creating "Chest o' plenty"
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Posts: 4,035Member, Arbiter

I've been looking at some of the entries and they're great! The only thing I've noticed is that they can get gummed up in an in-between state sometimes, which can make them difficult to understand for new players.

So, I'm going to add a "reset" mechanical switch that broadcasts a reset message to all mechanical devices within a set range (with a minimum interval between resets that you can specify). I think that should allow for any challenge to be repeatable.

Here's my idea, let me know if there's anything else you want:

Switch behavior:
    - Hit switch to reset
    - Set minimum time between resets
    - Set auto-reset after time
    - Set range that reset signal travels

Resettables:
    - Reset doors and switches (specify on or off reset state per switch)
    - Reset mech signs (reset text set per sign)
    - Specify an NPC name on a beacon, NPC with that name teleported there upon reset

It'd be a logical reason to add touchplate versions too.
    Although, resetting text isn't always a good thing, can we choose which ones to reset?
  • toadlovertoadlover Applying Woturr to the Urrth, to prevent the Ayerr from stoking the Phyrre.Posts: 6,431Member, Arbiter
    This is a very good trick that I personally have bee using to allow for "resetability" in my puzzles. When a player is nearing completion of an area/the challenge, I have one final door and a large timed switch standing in their way. The large timed switch is linked to the door in their way and all doors that are actiated prior to reaching the switch. Due to the nature of the timed switches, they will open everything for the specified amount of time and then close everyting afterwards. The one dawback to this is that anyone else can easily slip through the challenge while the doors are open, so having a low time would be advised for the switch.
    edited January 2015

Resettables:
    - Specify an NPC name on a beacon, NPC with that name teleported there upon reset

Do regular switches even have an on/off state? They just seem to toggle doors and trigger things.

Some sort of teleporting NPC thing could be used to take NPCs from other structures, which could be a problem.
    toadlover said:

This is a very good trick that I personally have bee using to allow for "resetability" in my puzzles. When a player is nearing completion of an area/the challenge, I have one final door and a large timed switch standing in their way. The large timed switch is linked to the door in their way and all doors that are actiated prior to reaching the switch. Due to the nature of the timed switches, they will open everything for the specified amount of time and then close everyting afterwards. The one dawback to this is that anyone else can easily slip through the challenge while the doors are open, so having a low time would be advised for the switch.

I did consider using that method for the evil lab but it can also lock players out, which is not good for multiple people trying the challenge at the same time or less linear challenges.
    I have also been using the timed switch exploit to reset doors since a long time ago. Unfortunately, there is no good way to detect whether a given door is open or closed (unlike Minecraft), so the only solution is to use a timed switch set at one second to reset them to closed before doing anything else.
    Post edited by Oxidis on
  • DaltsDalts Loading...Posts: 565Member
    Dale said:

You traded your last piece of Onyx for a few moody pages of a handwritten journal. But you know have the clues you need to to discover have the ruins of the city of the ancient people of Anesha. The world is known to you as Dover. The journal entries are incomplete and so you keep hope that Indiana never claimed the treasures that await inside the giant pyramid.

Can you find the legendary pyramid of Doom? Navigate its horrors and claim the treasure for yourself? Or will the Sleeping giants that guard the lost city awaken and release their horde of minions to destroy you?

World: Dover
    Type: Roleplay Maze
    Difficulty: Extreme
    Notes:This public enabled private world is fully converted to support the game.

Can't find the world "Dover" when searched, cause there's a lot of world with the name "Dover" at the front of the world name.
  • NoobishNoobish If you put a potato in front of the moon, the moon looks like a potato.Posts: 350Member

Noobish said:

@Noobish Is this a joke? Or is this real.Because this post is for Creating "Chest o' plenty"
    Its a joke
  • SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,086Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    DaltTD said:

Dale said:

Can't find the world "Dover" when searched, cause there's a lot of world with the name "Dover" at the front of the world name.
    So basically there's no way to actually go visit this build? Wow.

Even the most rudimentary search should return Dover as your first hit, not put all the other Dover-compounds first.
  • toadlovertoadlover Applying Woturr to the Urrth, to prevent the Ayerr from stoking the Phyrre.Posts: 6,431Member, Arbiter
    Sirentist said:

DaltTD said:

Dale said:

So basically there's no way to actually go visit this build? Wow.

Even the most rudimentary search should return Dover as your first hit, not put all the other Dover-compounds first.
    I think if you just search it a few times, it should show up eventually. I have the same issue with reaching London, because there are so many worlds with London in it. Every time you search, it is a random mix worlds that contain the search letters as their first characters.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Posts: 2,950Member
    So.. If I make an impossible challenge covering a whole XL World... Will the loot be a Notch? :D
    Without trying to sound too impatient, is the first batch about ready now? It's Wednesday of the following week.
    toadlover said:

Without trying to sound too impatient, is the first batch about ready now? It's Wednesday of the following week.

Working on the reset switch today. The entries I visited needed it, so I wanted to get that rolling before we continue on this endeavor.
  • Pikagirl88Pikagirl88 Researching plasma vision for Supermonkey in monkey city!Posts: 609Member
    Cant wait to see the winners, totally gonna see them all!
    Gotta Loot 'em all!

toadlover said:

Working on the reset switch today. The entries I visited needed it, so I wanted to get that rolling before we continue on this endeavor.
    Will all entries require this new switch, or just the ones that can't reset on their own?
    toadlover said:

toadlover said:

Will all entries require this new switch, or just the ones that can't reset on their own?
    Any entry that has the potential to get locked up should have the switch. Even if there is a clever mechanism at the end, we still have the issue of players quitting mid-playthrough, etc.

Purely timer-based (or non-mechanical) levels should be fine, though.

edited January 2015

I've been looking at some of the entries and they're great! The only thing I've noticed is that they can get gummed up in an in-between state sometimes, which can make them difficult to understand for new players.

So, I'm going to add a "reset" mechanical switch that broadcasts a reset message to all mechanical devices within a set range (with a minimum interval between resets that you can specify). I think that should allow for any challenge to be repeatable.

Here's my idea, let me know if there's anything else you want:

Switch behavior:
    - Hit switch to reset
    - Set minimum time between resets
    - Set auto-reset after time
    - Set range that reset signal travels

Resettables:

If it's going to be something that can do all that, it will most likely be used for much more than simply reseting challenges at the end. Even something that could only specify a close/open state for doors I would use extensively.

Would it be overpowered overkill to fit that many functions into one switch?
    Post edited by Oxidis on
    Oxidis said:

Would it be overpowered to fit that many functions into one switch?

It's okay if it's used creatively. It'll be a bit pricier to craft, and we can donate switches to challenges that get accepted.

I've mostly finished the code, it works a bit more simply than I originally described - basically, when you plop the switch down and set the range, it immediately captures the state of all switches, doors, and mech signs. Hitting the switch thereafter will reset them to that state. That way, when building challenges, the builder can just reset everything themselves and then drop the switch. Presto!
  • Pikagirl88Pikagirl88 Researching plasma vision for Supermonkey in monkey city!Posts: 609Member
    Soooo will the first batch be revealed, or will it be a great mystery knowing which got implemented?

Soooo will the first batch be revealed, or will it be a great mystery knowing which got implemented?

I'll have the reset switch out this weekend, so hopefully we can get things rolling next week.