Windows / Mac Final Beta Cycle (currently v3.3.3)

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 4,953
Grab the new Windows (and Mac) versions if you'd like to help test!
http://blog.deepworldgame.com/post/112733629691/deepworld-windows-final-beta-cycle

Beta downloads:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6pipgiergzawyne/AADQ02A2VGKZFoMvIdIc0wT8a?dl=0

Known issues list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d3u5AzmAkztNR4eedYinE_2snYgZNmUyOlk_Fcj78io/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Steam users:
1.) Right click on Deepworld in Steam
2.) Click the "Betas" tab on the right
3.) Choose the "Beta" branch and you will get beta versions before official releases. Easy peasy!
Post edited by mikelaurence on

Comments

• SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,476
    The mac link seems to be stuck on "uploading" for me...
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 4,953
    Sirentist said:

The mac link seems to be stuck on "uploading" for me...

Yeah, they're still uploading to dropbox... just a couple minutes left.
    -paces very patiently-
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    Steam? STEAM? STEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! :D

Btw, is there a rough ETA for Steam launch?

Hoping for mid-late March... hoping...
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951

-internally screams with joy-
  • LordOreoLordOreo In Oreo KingdomMember Posts: 1,025
    Yay!!! No more invisible things :D
    edited March 2015
    I have not gotten far in testing because I ran into the same issue as last time: that relentless background sound.

How do I turn off that horrible two-note background droning sound without losing the other (useful) sounds? It's like a form of torture -- like having someone at a keyboard in the background playing the same two notes over and over and over. Is it supposed to be an apocalyptic punishment or something? If I were a new player, that sound alone would be enough to make me put the game down and not pick it up again, ha!

Another thing I noticed, before I had to quit the game to GET AWAY FROM THE SOUNDDDD, is that this version sends my computer's fans into high gear. My computer plays the v1 (which is called v2 but which the crowns-buying gods insist is v1) version relatively silently, but when I fire up this version, the fans start revving up. This happens on both my laptop and my brand-new desktop.

Edited to add:
    I just figured out if I go underground, that horrible sound stops. Is it meant to keep people off the surface? Is it related to the world not being purified? At least I can keep myself sane by staying underground at all times. Hooray!
  • vin_venturevin_venture Minion Training Facility 274Member Posts: 1,184
    I downloaded the windows version and played with it for a while. While I am thrilled to be able to see all the formerly invisible new things (the lamps are so pretty!!!), 3.1.0. is not superior to 3.0.7. and I will not use it primarily. The worst problems affecting gameplay include:
    None of the blue teleporters work!!!!!
    The unexplored tab is full of privately owned worlds
    Can't search for worlds by name
    No option to find worlds friends are in
    There is an option for bookmarked worlds, which I am thrilled about, but I can't figure out how to bookmark a world. :/

I downloaded the windows version and played with it for a while. While I am thrilled to be able to see all the formerly invisible new things (the lamps are so pretty!!!), 3.1.0. is not superior to 3.0.7. and I will not use it primarily. The worst problems affecting gameplay include:
    None of the blue teleporters work!!!!!
    The unexplored tab is full of privately owned worlds
    Can't search for worlds by name
    No option to find worlds friends are in
    There is an option for bookmarked worlds, which I am thrilled about, but I can't figure out how to bookmark a world. :/

Cool, yeah, I'll get those fixed for the next build. The more bug reports the merrier, especially if things that are missing from 3.0.7.
    Sirentist said:

I have not gotten far in testing because I ran into the same issue as last time: that relentless background sound.

I think it's the teleporter sound loop. I agree it's super annoying (was an experiment, ha), I'll kill it.
    Sirentist said:

when I fire up this version, the fans start revving up. This happens on both my laptop and my brand-new desktop.

Definitely some performance optimizations to make still. I assume you're playing zoomed out? I've noticed v3 chugs way harder especially when zoomed out.
  • Jonah.Jonah. Michigan, U.S.A.Member Posts: 1,001
    So excited! :D
  • ZstormGamesZstormGames http://www.youtube.com/zstormhMember Posts: 2,009
    edited March 2015
    -Runs around stabbing self in head with knife in excitement-

Nevermind...unplayable basically on pc...ugh darn...the maps make themselves super small every time you bring them up, aswell as the teleporters and everything else...really a lot laggier at times too....
    Digging into performance a little, I've found a few nasty issues... fortunately they're fairly simple to fix. I should have a much tidier build out in a few days.
  • Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloMember Posts: 1,543
    Developement must be gettin pretty steamy!

Digging into performance a little, I've found a few nasty issues... fortunately they're fairly simple to fix. I should have a much tidier build out in a few days.

Awesome! Good to hear! What kind of bugs would they be? Speaking in technical terms? What is it that causes the fps drop? Is it a memory leak? Or was it?
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,033
    There's one teensy problem. I can't exactly use ANY teleporter.....
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member Posts: 429
    Is there any way to be able to search for a world for PC? Apart from Popular, Unexplored, Developed, Market, and PvP, that is. I feel as though I have a very poor grasp on this version.

And you said "late April" for v3 last year. ;)
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,034
    p1nkbr0 said:

And you said "late April" for v3 last year. ;)
    I laughed out too much, honestly.

Mike, you need better timing!
    Ok, seriously. I can't even leave the world I'm in. Portals don't work... :/
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member Posts: 429
    p1nkbr0 said:

Ok, seriously. I can't even leave the world I'm in. Portals don't work... :/

If this is for the PC version, then the way I finally figured out how to get out of the world was to click the world icon in the top right hand panel.
  • lachlanlteclachlanltec VictoriaMember Posts: 212
    omg there's so many bugs the conveyors don't work,I cant teleport anywhere with blue teles,half of the expiator isn't there,some clothing items aren't there(probs not a bug) and the ghosts look weird like awkward and weird heres Helen the ghost
    deepworld.JPG
    335 x 266 - 21K
  • SweetenOrange15SweetenOrange15 I don't know...Member Posts: 363

hey do you know that world teleporter sound OH MY GOD that sound man
    Played for about half an hour this morning, looking at stuff and testing a few things. Sorry if this sounds complaining -- I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to list stuff out. No value judgments attached. Just letting you know stuff that didn't work as expected. Hope it's helpful!

Don't know if you care about graphical issues but there a tons of those; I can list some if you like. For now, focusing on functionality/gameplay:

- mining is MUCH slower (perhaps related to exo skeletons not working yet)

- weird "rippling" effect in world when falling (sorry, don't know how to explain it better than that)

- world teleporter: in addition to issues listed by others above, no icons to indicate protected worlds, no way to refresh buttons

- mini map: when I open it, it has always defaulted back to a scrunched-up view; pulling the window larger, the corner doesn't actually track with my cursor; no info in sidebar; can't tell the difference between my blue teles and other blue teles; plaque names near bottom of world are unable to be viewed

- jetpack suppressors work even if not hooked up to steam

- social tab: can't see guild tags, can't scroll (e.g., through list of followers)

- mobs: some mobs invisible (normal bats, baby brains, armadillos), many mobs sink into blocks that are to the right of them (e.g., all terrapi except normal ones)

- inventory/crafting section tabs have no images:

- forward slash does not automatically put you in command mode

- can't talk to androids

- portable teles don't work (target teles DO work however)

- can't see protector radii

- can't kill ghosts/revenants

Good things:
    Yay! I can finally see and mine all the phantom fire salt that's been screwing up mining, building, and excavation in my hell worlds for so long!

Different versions of some placed resources appear. This is cool. I had no idea piles of ecto could look like that!

The lighting is SO much better than in 2.3.4. Not brighter, necessarily, but the way individual lamps and things glow is infinitely better, especially as you move out of range of the lit area. Rather than a blinding square of light, you can still see stuff. Example below.

In 2.3.4:

In 3.1.0:

• NexeusNexeus Hope LegionMember Posts: 327

omg there's so many bugs the conveyors don't work,I cant teleport anywhere with blue teles,half of the expiator isn't there,some clothing items aren't there(probs not a bug) and the ghosts look weird like awkward and weird heres Helen the ghost

o.o That steam pack is for ocean biome and is that just me or is it a fencing sword!
  • vin_venturevin_venture Minion Training Facility 274Member Posts: 1,184
    Siren, was reading your latest list of problems, and welcome to windows mode! ha ha ha! I mean, I'm so sorry, aren't all those things annoying? Oh, and I just realized that I probably can't see the mobs you listed either. :D
    Anyhow, I came here to add to the list of windows bugs:
    -Everything Siren listed
    -use of power boot freezes game temporarily
    -Diamond target teles aren't working
    -Recyclers are no longer upside down but are still missing ornamentation that I have seen on ios pics.
    -Space wallpaper is still boring
    -Customization is working! except that I can't choose blue for any of the furniture
    -I can finally interact with a pandora! When I placed it, it asked if I wanted to open it, and there was one button that said yes/no. Apparently yes is the only true option. The ineffective energy cannon and invisible mobs are making things difficult.
    @mikelarence A very serious issue needs to be addressed that must be fixed, more important than anything else! Do NOT release this on steam until you fix the bug where when you create a new account, and play through the tutorial, you literally CANNOT leave the world and enter your email address to sign up. I tested it last night and got very upset because its actually scary if the PC version was going to be released like that. That would be horrible for the reputation of deepworld. People would play, not be able to sign up, and leave in frustration. It would then, in turn, get horrible reviews on steam. I am sorry if i sound like im complaining but i do not know if this issue has been addressed and i just wanted to make sure you guys knew this.

@mikelarence A very serious issue needs to be addressed that must be fixed, more important than anything else! Do NOT release this on steam until you fix the bug where when you create a new account, and play through the tutorial, you literally CANNOT leave the world and enter your email address to sign up. I tested it last night and got very upset because its actually scary if the PC version was going to be released like that. That would be horrible for the reputation of deepworld. People would play, not be able to sign up, and leave in frustration. It would then, in turn, get horrible reviews on steam. I am sorry if i sound like im complaining but i do not know if this issue has been addressed and i just wanted to make sure you guys knew this.

Don't worry, we won't launch on Steam until only minor bugs are left.

Everyone else, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to have a public spreadsheet here shortly so we can all track progress (a little low-fi I admit, but good enough for now. Maybe we can figure out a for-real bug tracker this summer).)