Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld is back online after a system outage. Thanks for your patience.

Future Competitions

AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,241Member, Arbiter
edited June 2015 in General
Now that the building competition is complete, it is fair to say that it could have been organised better and run more smoothly. A major reason for the problems was the sheer number of entries, which made it very difficult for judges.

As such, here is my proposal for how to deal with future competitions.
Paragraphs beginning with 'Mike' are behind the scenes. The general public wont see these parts. Paragraphs beginning 'Public' are what we actually see as a participant in the competition.

Mike
First, create 16 mini worlds each containing 50 competition pros. Make sure no player pros can be added. Have it set so that when typing entry number, the player's name is NOT shown to prevent later bias. Have each pro marked on the map. Enable perma steam in each world.

Mike
Announce the competition. Give very clear instructions on what should be built. Don't leave it too vague.
Have a clear deadline for each phase and stick to it.

Public
Head to one of the 16 worlds. Find a marked pro and claim it.

Public
Build your entry!

Mike
Randomize the 16 worlds. First give each world a number from 1-16. Then randomly select each number. For example you may end up with:

3-7-11-2-10-9-4-1-8-16-12-5-14-6-13-15

Now from these numbers, set it so that world 3 players are judges for world 7. World 7 players are judges for world 11, and so on. Finally, world 15 players would judge world 3.

Mike
When sufficient time has passed, stop the building process. Announce the judging order.

Public
Go to your designated world and vote on your favourite entries. Maximum 10 votes per player.

Mike
After the voting phase is complete, take the top 4 entries from each world. Announce the 64 group winners.

Then either:
Mike
Split these into groups of 4 (random) with no two from the same world.

Public
Vote on the 16 groups.

Mike
Take the group winners and choose the ultimate winner from this list.

Or:
Choose directly from the 64 to find the ultimate winner.

This will prevent collaborations, as players cannot vote for each other. It will also give every entry a much fairer chance of nomination, rather than just those with lower entry numbers.

-------------------

Other suggestions for preparing each world: (From Sirentist)
- insta-purify the world (sometimes machine parts are inside comp pros)
- disallow all plaques/landmarks, period
- disallow signs that identify the builder
- enable diamond target teleporters
- provide info at spawn (e.g., clarifying that judges will always arrive to the build at the green pro, so leave it accessible or enclose it and put a target tele)
Post edited by AMWhy on

Comments

• Jmonster1Jmonster1 Building. Building what? Building a building house. Whats in the building house? BuildingsPosts: 563Member
    I thin this is great!
  • SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,060Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    edited June 2015
    Other possible world preparations:

- provide info at spawn (e.g., clarifying that judges will always arrive to the build at the green pro, so leave it accessible or enclose it and put a target tele)

Personally, I wouldn't completely disallow all personal protectors. Given that judges always arrive at the green pro, and sometimes you want your entrance to be at the edge of a build instead of in the middle, it makes sense to allow player protectors. I do think megas, gigas, and larges should be disallowed, and that there should be limits on the number of smalls & micros one can add, though.

Edited to add:
    Or perhaps a finite cap on the "square footage" that a build can take up.
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Posts: 1,231Member
    Sirentist said:

Other possible world preparations:

Personally, I wouldn't completely disallow all personal protectors. Given that judges always arrive at the green pro, and sometimes you want your entrance to be at the edge of a build instead of in the middle, it makes sense to allow player protectors. I do think megas, gigas, and larges should be disallowed, and that there should be limits on the number of smalls & micros one can add, though.

Edited to add:
    Or perhaps a finite cap on the "square footage" that a build can take up.

Or by tapping the green protector to enter a co ordinate inside that protector range, and that co ordinate will be the entry point instead of the green protector. Something like that.
  • stingerbee5000stingerbee5000 In a hive.Posts: 2,911Member, Arbiter
    The only reason I dislike pros being available is that people make 'ads'
    I personally find them annoying
  • MidoriMidori Posts: 350Member
    OP:
    ''Now from these numbers, set it so that world 3 players are judges for world 7. World 7 players are judges for world 11, and so on. Finally, world 15 players would judge world 3.''

Reaction to OP:
    so you really expect full cooperation from random players and that they will do theyr job as good as they can?We are probably playing different games and on the different planets.
    -they will just not do it at all is opinion 1
    -they will do it poorly ''visit world and vote first thing they can'' is opinion 2
    -they will really spend theyr time to judge It as good as they can is opinion 3
    -they will do what they are told to do by friends/other judges

well nothing is flawless when It is about judging something so much opinion-based
    but I do not see how this would be upgrade decent enought to spend resources on

My clearly better Solution:
    you will maybe laught at what I will say but in most building competetions random number generator would be much more fair choice
    https://www.random.org/
    So i present you ultimate solution RANDOM
    1:Everyone does have equal chance[no friends,no bribe]
    2:It is fast [winners known under second]
    3:Does not do his work poorly but always best It can
    4:Does appreciate what human could not
    5:Cost minimal resources [insert names and click randomize]
    6:Is not misogynist so women get theyr chance to win too
    offtopic:
    I m still schocked that my air-lab did not win
    but well probably no one noticed it :(
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkPosts: 5,951Member
    Midori said:

OP:
    ''Now from these numbers, set it so that world 3 players are judges for world 7. World 7 players are judges for world 11, and so on. Finally, world 15 players would judge world 3.''

Reaction to OP:
    so you really expect full cooperation from random players and that they will do theyr job as good as they can?We are probably playing different games and on the different planets.
    -they will do it poorly ''visit world and vote first thing they can'' is opinion 2

well nothing is flawless when It is about judging something so much opinion-based

you will maybe laught at what I will say but in most building competetions random number generator would be much more fair choice
    offtopic:

That's worse actually, because considering the votes are "randomized", good builders would not be selected over crap builders (Crap as in a noun).
  • Xx_Waffles_xXXx_Waffles_xX [Deleted]Posts: 676Member
    I'm fine with the current system, its just that I feel like not all entries were looked into by all judges and those with a lower entry number would get theirs looked at as a priority compared to the others. Perhaps more worlds or SOMETHING that gets those #200 entries looked at by ALL judges
  • MidoriMidori Posts: 350Member

Midori said:

OP:

Reaction to OP:

offtopic:

That's worse actually, because considering the votes are "randomized", good builders would not be selected over crap builders (Crap as in a noun).
    In 2d block placing game there is not that much of difference between ''crap'' builder and ''best'' builder
    but in game like minectaft where 3d takes place there is BIG difference between worst and best builder
    Simply because your opinions are very reduced in 2d game+you can turn nearly every block to any side in minecraft

also you basically claim that currently best builders win those competetions
    I dare to oppose

It is foolish to even expect human to be objective when determining winners of creative competition
    You basically let human to decide because you know It will not objective

also your claims would need very clear definition of ''good builder'' is it builder with rarer materials? Is it builder that know he can stack paintings one on each other.Is it minimalistic builder? Is It builder with abstract build?

I could go on and on and on...

This argument just does not work for me try something else :D

to clarify: I know that my idea have no future I just want to hear something better

we could for example rate effort
    1point for every 5minutes spend building people who rebuild theyr lab 5 times and did not get nominated would at lest stop cry

there are many solutions

I do not like my solutions or your, I wait for something simple and effective
    when you demand change , change should be to something better otherwise change was waste of resources

I like other said ideas like ''clear world'' in such competetion because they would help and do not look too hard to make
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,241Member, Arbiter
    Bump. Reread the first post. This really should be implemented!