Our new Space Biome update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Solve this equation and you could win a Stuffed Android!

ReiiichReiiich Chili Con ImplantMember Posts: 205
edited June 2015 in Events
This is probably my first giveaway, I did recently loot a Stuffed Android a few days ago. So, I'm gonna be nice for everyone for once and give it away. :)

The question is...

48÷2(9+3) = ?

The contest is over.
Post edited by Reiiich on

Comments

• ReiiichReiiich Chili Con ImplantMember Posts: 205
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • AMWhyAMWhy Member Posts: 1,109
    edited June 2015
    Two know the answer two this is twotally beautwotiful. It's 3, right?

Edit: didn't realise you wanted a debate, but the only answer is 2. For your other example, it would have to be written (48÷2)(9+3). As there are no brackets around the first part, the answer can only be 2.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,711
    Yay Sparks
    edited July 2015
    This is where I originally got the equation from: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293
    Post edited by Reiiich on
    edited June 2015
    Theoretically, it could be either 288 or 2 as Multiplication and Division take the same priority in order of operations

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

By convention, we work left to right, and therefore Option 1 is technically correct when the original notation is taken into account, as we execute the division before the multiplication of (9+3) by 2.

If you want to know more, check out this wolfram page, which compares how the annotation of the formula can change the result.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={48/2(9+3), 48/2 (9+3), 48/(2(9+3))}&lk=2

• PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,591
    Everywhen said:

Theoretically, it could be either 288 or 2 as Multiplication and Division take the same priority in order of operations

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

By convention, we work left to right, and therefore Option 1 is technically correct when the original notation is taken into account, as we execute the division before the multiplication of (9+3) by 2.

If you want to know more, check out this wolfram page, which compares how the annotation of the formula can change the result.

Yes, it would be 288, because you must always do the operations in the brackets and parenthesis, and then you move onto division/multiplication
    PIPTR0 said:

Everywhen said:

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

Yes, it would be 288, because you must always do the operations in the brackets and parenthesis, and then you move onto division/multiplication
    The inside of the brackets isn't the debated topic here though.
    It's whether you do
    48/2(12)
    as
    (48/2) * 12
    or
    48/(2*12)

We do the first one, not because of order of operations, but because of the mathematical convention of working left to right.
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,323
    To add to the debate what about this:

=48/2(9+3)
    =48/18+6
    =48/24
    =2

That being said, I would do it like this
    =48/2(9+3)
    =48/2×12
    =48/24
    =2

To add to the debate what about this:

=48/2(9+3)
    =48/18+6
    =48/24
    =2

That being said, I would do it like this
    =48/2(9+3)
    =48/2×12
    =48/24
    =2
    Nahhhhh. (sorry)
    If you think about it like that, and do an expansion, you have to do it as

_______
    2(9+3)

______
    18 + 6

__
    24 =2

The brackets are to intentionally mislead

It's better written as

__ * (9+3)
    edited June 2015
    @Reiiich I'm going to bed, so can you pass the prize onto the person who can answer this:

What is wrong with this?
    Oops double post to tag notify peoples
    @jellysnake @AMWhy @SP4RKS @PIPTR0

Go!
  • White_CrowWhite_Crow Wayne ManorMember Posts: 117
    edited June 2015
    Everywhen said:

@Reiiich I'm going to bed, so can you pass the prize onto the person who can answer this:

What is wrong with this?

Last time I checked two doesn't equaled one...
    edited June 2015

Everywhen said:

What is wrong with this?

But what did this person do wrong? That's what I'm asking.
    edited June 2015
    Everywhen said:

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

Sorry to disappoint, but as written:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

The answer is always 2. As there is no bracket around the first part, the multiplication would appear on the second line only.

If it was written as:
    ---- (9+3) = ?

Then the answer would be 288. However, it wasn't and so it isn't.

ETA:
    the solution posted on the website you stated has an error. It says:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)=
    48 ÷ 2(12)=
    (48 ÷ 2)(12)=
    24 * 12=

The third step here is introducing new brackets which are not part of the original equation. The line 48 ÷ 2(12)= is clearly 2 on its own. Adding a new bracket is poor mathematics, leading to the wrong answer.
  • OxidisOxidis http://codepen.io/ZufengW/full/mVBjXPMember, Arbiter Posts: 792
    edited June 2015
    48÷2(9+3) =
    48÷24
    =2

Edit: There seems to be different interpretations of this
    Inputing 48÷2(9+3) into my scientific calculator gives 2
    but by graphing calculator interprets it as (48/2)*(9+3) = 288
    Everywhen said:

What is wrong with this?

Dividing both sides by (a - b) is dividing by zero, which is the mistake.
    AMWhy said:

Everywhen said:

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

48÷2(9+3) = ?

The answer is always 2. As there is no bracket around the first part, the multiplication would appear on the second line only.

If it was written as:
    ---- (9+3) = ?

ETA:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)=
    48 ÷ 2(12)=
    (48 ÷ 2)(12)=
    24 * 12=

The third step here is introducing new brackets which are not part of the original equation. The line 48 ÷ 2(12)= is clearly 2 on its own. Adding a new bracket is poor mathematics, leading to the wrong answer.

It's honestly a matter of intepretation.
    I choose to go with the mathematical conventionof evaluating left to right.

However, if you chuck the equation into common calculators, they tend to lack the ability to make this judgement.

Check with wolfram, check with python, hell, check with matlab.

Wolfram (Online computation engine):

Python (Programming software):

Matlab (Professional Maths and Engineering Software):

Look I've given everyone a second crack at the prize, so just go with it, and try the problem I posted.

I've explained multiple times why the answer is 288, so if you're that desperate for the stuffed android, go try the second problem I posted.

I'm tired, and going to bed now.
    Have fun with maths.
    Goodnight.
    Oxidis said:

48÷2(9+3) =
    48÷24
    =2

Everywhen said:

What is wrong with this?

Dividing both sides by (a - b) is dividing by zero, which is the mistake.
    Oh... Kudos to Oxidis
    (Summons @Reiiich)
  • White_CrowWhite_Crow Wayne ManorMember Posts: 117
    Everywhen said:

Everywhen said:

What is wrong with this?

But what did this person do wrong? That's what I'm asking.
    Oh I know I don't need anymore stuffed androids too many already just commenting on the 2=1
    Everywhen said:

What is wrong with this?

When you subtract b^2 from both sides, as a=b, both sides drop to zero. After that, it's just gibberish as you have multiples of 0 equal to themselves.

This is also evident in the fourth line as (a-b) = 0
  • LyvenLyven Shuttered PalaceMember Posts: 6,453
    Behold, the mathematicians of deepworld. Exploding the minds of people incapable with operations and numbers since 2012.
    This contest is over.

Everywhen won the Stuffed Android, and then passed the prize on to Oxidis.
    Everywhen said:

AMWhy said:

Everywhen said:

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

48÷2(9+3) = ?

If it was written as:
    ---- (9+3) = ?

ETA:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)=
    48 ÷ 2(12)=
    (48 ÷ 2)(12)=
    24 * 12=

However, if you chuck the equation into common calculators, they tend to lack the ability to make this judgement.

Look I've given everyone a second crack at the prize, so just go with it, and try the problem I posted.

I've explained multiple times why the answer is 288, so if you're that desperate for the stuffed android, go try the second problem I posted.

Have fun with maths.
    Goodnight.
    From a computing point of view, you are correct. There are different solutions depending in how the program has, well, been programmed. This is one reason why I prefer not to use a calculator. However from a mathematical viewpoint you are indeed wrong with 288. As there are no brackets around the first division, you split the sum there as I have said twice now. You are incorrectly adding in brackets that are not given which changes the sum. I'm sure you know that brackets come before division. Left to right is very incorrect.

Source: Maths degree
    AMWhy said:

Everywhen said:

AMWhy said:

Everywhen said:

48÷2(9+3)

option 1:
    48/2 * (9+3)
    24*12 = 288

Option 2:
    48/(2(9+3))
    48/24 = 2

48÷2(9+3) = ?

If it was written as:
    ---- (9+3) = ?

ETA:

48 ÷ 2(9+3)=
    48 ÷ 2(12)=
    (48 ÷ 2)(12)=
    24 * 12=

Have fun with maths.
    Goodnight.
    From a computing point of view, you are correct. There are different solutions depending in how the program has, well, been programmed. This is one reason why I prefer not to use a calculator. However from a mathematical viewpoint you are indeed wrong with 288. As there are no brackets around the first division, you split the sum there as I have said twice now. You are incorrectly adding in brackets that are not given which changes the sum. I'm sure you know that brackets come before division. Left to right is very incorrect.

Source: Maths degree
    I'm inclined to question the maths degree as you also answered my question incorrectly, missing the division by 0 entirely. :(

Anyhow. I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

If you say its 2, then who are Python, Wolfram, Matlab and I to argue?
    Ciao
    edited June 2015
    The example of 2=1 is an old one, and is actually irrelevant before the division by 0 :)

Python, Wolfram and matlab are all computer related and unable to compute this equation in the form it is written. Mainly because it is a badly worded equation. Try rewriting it as:
    Let a=2. 48÷a(9+3) =
    Are you really saying you would interpret that as anything other than 48÷12a?

ETA: You also didn't address the fact you are adding in new brackets that are not there. Do you not understand the implication of that major change to the equation? It is self evident from the different answers you obtain.
  • iain2318iain2318 Plotting my revenge in a dark caveMember Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    Done it mentally and got 2 :) (there is apps that do homework for you)

Edit: done it easily I don't know how you could get it wrong you just need to know B.O.D.M.A.S and algebra
  • Madilyn.Madilyn. nєvєrlαndMember Posts: 312
    Bruh! I ain't doin' homework when it's a holiday.
  • LadySkrillexLadySkrillex At coachellaMember Posts: 791
    edited June 2015
    DOES ANYONE KNOW PEMDAS HERE??? Order of operations?

P- Parenthesis
    E- Exponents
    M- Multiplication
    D- Division
    A- Addition
    S- Subtraction

Therefore, 2 is correct...

48/2x(9+3)
    48/2x(12)
    48/24
    2 :) simple

DOES ANYONE KNOW PEMDAS HERE??? Order of operations?

P- Parenthesis
    E- Exponents
    M- Multiplication
    D- Division
    A- Addition
    S- Subtraction

Therefore, 2 is correct...

48/2x(9+3)
    48/2x(12)
    48/24
    2 :) simple

We were tought Bodmas
    Brackets
    Other
    Division
    Multiplication
    Addition
    Subtraction
    edited June 2015
    @OWESOMENWSS @iain2318 while different acronyms, both are correct. The answer is 2. The alternative answer only comes if you incorrectly interpret the question. All this has shown is a flaw with computer programs when unusual equations are entered (the equation does look odd as it is written).

The order of multiplication and division doesn't matter (Imagine 15 cakes shared between 3 sisters, then sold for $2 each. How much money does each sister have? This is 15/3. Then x2. It equals 10. Alternatively, 15x2. Then/3. It also gives 10).

What is being misinterpreted in the question is what is being multiplied. As written, it is the denominator 2x12. If extra brackets were added, it would be (48/2)x12. The brackets are not there so that is incorrect.
    Ye calculators and computers aren't programed with Bodmas or whatever you want to call it it's kinda a shame because I imagine it would be easy to code.