Colonising Kepler 62e

AMWhyAMWhy Member Posts: 1,002
edited September 2015 in Off-Topic
For any and all of you who like interactive fiction, please take a look at the game/book that I am writing. This is part of a trilogy of books about an asteroid crashing into the Earth. Your task is to build a spaceship and evacuate as many people as possible before it's too late.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23448049/Colonising Kepler 62e/dfabulich-choicescript-ce4cbfb/web/mygame/index.html

Please post feedback here: good and bad! It's still a work in progress, but this part is getting close to completion now.
Post edited by AMWhy on

Comments

• KittyKupoKittyKupo Laying in a sunbeamMember Posts: 2,219
    This sounds interesting, I will definitely check it out later :D
  • AMWhyAMWhy Member Posts: 1,002
    Thanks Kitty.

Note: I've posted this under General for now to ensure it gets viewed. I will move it to the off-topic section in an hour or so.
  • Jmonster1Jmonster1 Building. Building what? Building a building house. Whats in the building house? BuildingsMember Posts: 559
    Wow! It is great and interesting. Worth the read.

Now I feel like doing one of these. Hmm...
  • Rockster514Rockster514 The TARDISMember Posts: 371
    Awesome! I just had a bit of input: your financial adviser is continuously mentioned even if he has left as is Thomas (the science adviser)
    Thanks @Rockster514 there are definitely still some continuity errors. I'll take a look tonight. If you find any others, please let me know!

@Jmonster1 if you'd really like to try making your own, head to choiceofgames.com

It's NOT easy to get started but once you do, it's great fun.
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347
    I like it.... Maybe you can add a diagram of the ship and show what you have completed or the progress of the ship
    @Aspire, Good idea! That will be in the next part of the story; The journey across space on the spaceship you have created. That part will vary greatly depending upon the type of spaceship you make.
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347
    Im glad you like the idea lol
  • Rockster514Rockster514 The TARDISMember Posts: 371
    edited September 2015
    @AMWhy, one more thing I've noticed with continuity is that the public already knew about the asteroid but your advisers continued to discuss alerting other govenments

ETA: There's a chance I'm misremembering, so if you can't find it don't drive yourself crazy
    edited September 2015
    @Rockster514, no, you are right. That's an error I'm aware of. I'm planning to add alternative early dilemmas for when the asteroid is known about early. That will be added later though as I'm trying to get the other dilemmas completed first.
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
    I love choice of games, never really got the chance to make a game there, you winning that big cash der?

I love choice of games, never really got the chance to make a game there, you winning that big cash der?

I've only released one game under the Hosted Games label so far: The Race. I have two others in the works though: This one, Colonising Kepler 62e, and a life in prison game, Blackraven.

Seeing as The Race is a free app, I've not made a lot of money, but more than I expected.
  • William2William2 Farewell!Member, Arbiter Posts: 3,377
    Woah, amazing dude! Great job! I'm not that far in yet, and so far I've only found one typo. My game suddenly restarted as well, but I was only three choices in, no biggie.
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
    "I will make the best choice of game soon, you shall aaaallll see!"
    @William2 if you do spot any errors, please let me know what and where.easier to catch them as I go rather than all at the end.

@Demon_Wolf good luck! Once you get used to Choicescript, anything is possible!
    AMWhy said:

@William2 if you do spot any errors, please let me know what and where.easier to catch them as I go rather than all at the end.

@Demon_Wolf good luck! Once you get used to Choicescript, anything is possible!

It'll take time to get used to, but it's much easier than normal coding so why the hell not?

Also @AMWhy is there a possibility to run ChoiceScript on any free browser or page?
    Choicescript works with any text editor. I've never tried using an online editor but dont see why it wouldn't work. Choicescript takes the raw text from wherever and as long as it's formatted correctly (the part you have to learn) it will work no problems.

On the PC I use Notepad++ (free program). On the iphone, I use an app called Nocs. Both allow me to write and code, although admittedly i rarely write from the phone. More, I just use it to make minor changes.

All my files for the games I'm writing are in Dropbox. They don't have to be, but it makes it easier to demo and use across platforms.
    If you mean 'can you host a finished game on a page' then yes you can, but there are rules around it if you want to make money from it. Your best bet for info is the CoG website.
    k thanks.
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Somewhere in the middle of lifeMember Posts: 1,116
    Is it possible to make it via iPad ? Cause that's the only device I've got. Then I'd probably start learning how to format in choice script soon..
    FlynnXD said:

Is it possible to make it via iPad ? Cause that's the only device I've got. Then I'd probably start learning how to format in choice script soon..

Race ya to the first game >:D
    It isn't easy but it is possible. There's a writer on the forum who uses her phone to write. As long as you have a text editor, you can work away!
  • DaBossMan14DaBossMan14 Please call again later. Or never.Member Posts: 96
    It's awesome, but as said earlier, there are some continuity errors.

It's awesome, but as said earlier, there are some continuity errors.

I'm glad you like it! Unfortunately, I've been able to add very little since Xmas as my PC is out of action. Using a phone to fix bugs is okay, but to add new content is difficult.

Keep an eye on this thread though: when it's done I'll post away about it!
  • CoolAsIceCoolAsIce Member Posts: 416
    You missed Australia in the continents @AMWhy
    Also, the game glitched when I assigned 40% to technology and 50% to spaceship development.
    @CoolAsIce thanks for playing the game. Australia is available as a direct nation in the game. For continents (for nations I didn't add) there is the choice Oceania:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

For the bug,what happened? Did you get a line error? How many years in were you?
    AMWhy said:

@CoolAsIce thanks for playing the game. Australia is available as a direct nation in the game. For continents (for nations I didn't add) there is the choice Oceania:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

For the bug,what happened? Did you get a line error? How many years in were you?

I assigned 40% and 50% to the first two and clicked next after the second, then it gave me an error and I had to close the game, too bad, I wanted to continue it though..
    edited January 2016
    -ignore-
    Post edited by CoolAsIce on
    One more thing: I just played all the game, and it's pretty amazing! But, after finishing all years, it told me that I lost and, though I know you'll be adding the second chapter later, it continued with the countdown from the negative. (2117, -2 years to the meteor landing, etc...)