Pixel Art Comp: Gripes and Screenshots

jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,323
On July 16'th Mike posted this:

We're planning to get zoomed out screenshots for this as requested, stay tuned for actual judging dates.

That was 7 weeks ago, almost 3 months...

This is an album containing the largest screenshots I can take of entries 4-80 (Dantyfret Field)
(Entries 1-4 were removed because I forgot to zoom out :P)

Personally I find it rather shocking that it takes over that amount of time to do what took me 1 day. In fact the process took about 15 mins to generate the screenshots, the rest of the time was spent downloading and setting up an automation program.

The only issue I had with this was that I am unable to zoom out enough and that gravity exists. These are not things that are a problem to the devs.

Mike and co, get your [EBL] together. I understand that you have a job outside of deepworld, but even so.

On another note, I am willing to repeat this process for the remaining entries and whip up a quick browser program to allow easy voting on them.

Comments

• FlynnXDFlynnXD Somewhere in the middle of lifeMember Posts: 1,109
    I salute to you for your helping tendency. You're the only one who took action instead of just complaining. Awesome man. I'll try to help if any entry is small enough for my perception ( 10 ) .
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
    Cool.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,685
    FlynnXD said:

I salute to you for your helping tendency. You're the only one who took action instead of just complaining. Awesome man. I'll try to help if any entry is small enough for my perception ( 10 ) .

If people give me coordinates, I'll go take some screenies. I've reasonable perception.
    Procrastination!!!
    (hides from Chatot)
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,477
    edited October 2015
    I offered to help with the screenshotting (I have max perception and a large monitor), but never heard back. I even started a similar process, but quickly got frustrated at the amount of stitching that was involved in giving the entries a fair view. I applaud the amount of work you've put into this so far, and at the same time, I think it would be unfair for people to judge based on screenshots that don't at least show the entire protector area. Since it seems the devs won't trust players with an expanded zoom, not even temporarily, and don't seem to have time to do the screenshotting themselves, it appears that this competition is indefinitely on hold. Sadface.
  • DeathSwaggaDeathSwagga In the firey depths of hell.Member Posts: 493
    I doubt were going to get any DW updates anytime soon considering the developers don't even have enough time to take some screenshots.
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    Well, its official, Deepworld is a dead game.

-its a sad day-
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,477
    Honestly, the pause in development and forum presence doesn't really bother me. However, I do think that event-related things like competitions should be at the top of the list of things to follow through on.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 887
    I will say it's a bummer the direction the devs are heading with the game. Slow to no updates, slow to no response to emails and when the game is updated we reicieve very little info or it will be posted "soon".

I was and still am a huge fan of this game. I played dig dug and a boy and his blob many years ago and I still have my nes and those games.

I feel some forum and game information could be delegated to long time trustworthy players if the devs wanted to lighten the load.

None the less and in closing. I hope we will get atleast another year of game play but I don't see that happening. I will keep swinging my,pick away tell it ends. Thanks for an amazingly fun game...

derp
    Pssht, it's just a competition, calm down, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

On a sidenote, maybe they weren't planning a reward for the comp and it was all a prank?

• ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,906

On a sidenote, maybe they weren't planning a reward for the comp and it was all a prank?

I spent a lot of time and effort into my entry and I'd be very frustrated to say the least
  • BlackoutBlackout Cutiepamsy@me.com email me if you wanna join ^_^Member Posts: 347
    i already forgot where i built my entry D:
    edited October 2015
    ipads said:

I spent a lot of time and effort into my entry and I'd be very frustrated to say the least
    What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347
    Honestly the slow update proccessing/ forum activity with the devs doesn't bother me in the slightest.. Worlds still spawn, the shop works, markets are as functional as they are going to get, and there are always new things to build. The devs still respond when you have issues, they work very hard to keep this game running so we shouldn't be saying that this game is dying when it hasn't even reached its climax.
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,323
    I just want to say that I don't think that the game is dying, and I don't particularly mind the lack of forum presence. My issue is simply the comp and the overall number of issues surrounding it.
    So no, the game is not dying at all. The comp has simply (in my opinion) been a disaster and should serve as a point from which to improve and ensure that it does not happen again.

I will say though that I do think there are a number of wonderful ideas from the community that have been unnoticed/ignored. But I don't know if this is simply that I have not noticed their effects on the game
    *shrug*
  • iain2318iain2318 Plotting my revenge in a dark caveMember Posts: 513
    The devs should look into hiring players in game to do that I mean they could pay someone in game 1-2 oynx to take all the screen shots and email it to them it saves them from working and to the devs oynx is free :)