New player guides

KillingUGirlKillingUGirl Member Posts: 75
edited October 2015 in Questions
There is an incredible lack of pertinent information for new players as well as not so new out there for deepworld. I would like to start making guides that offer more help to all the questions I've spent hours researching to no avail

Comments

• KillingUGirlKillingUGirl Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2015
    ok I give up not sure why it won't post my whole comment
  • CloudxCloudCloudxCloud EarthMember Posts: 684
    Most players don't even know that the forums exist. Honestly I don't believe you're certified to give new players advice if you need to research it for hours.

A guide should come from your experiences and require you to fully understand whatever you're making your guide for. Perhaps you should give tips instead of a guide.There are afew guides i've made if you need them. Building and PvP are my strong suite.

A full breakdown and overview of each gun.

A series of threads on building.
    Part 1
    Part 2
    List of building terms
    A thread on furniture.

I don't want you to make a guide because I want players who need help to see a guide made by a person with grammar, know how to use html, and have firm knowledge of what they're saying from their mind instead of them having to research for hours. Don't take anything personal.
    edited October 2015
    I've spent hours researching because the information simply does not exist, and there are very few experienced players willing to help. So I have learned alot just by trial and error and would love to pass along any information I have found to others so they do not have to be in the same boat that I had to be in, so you are correct, this information comes from my experience and I do fully understand what I am saying, why would I offer to help if I didn't have a firm understanding on what I was saying? I didn't realize there was a qualification requirement for wanting to help others out and save them incredible amounts of frustration. I'll refrain from being helpful in the future lol. And while you may think the information you listed is actually helpful it doesn't answer ANY of the questions I had as a beginner. I think the seasoned players lose sight of what it is like to be new in this game or just don't care. With a few rare exceptions that seems to be the overall attitude permeating deepworld, new players are a bother, stupid and we wish they weren't here. I am just trying to help out as many as I possibly can, and make their deepworld experience as enjoyable as possible by providing simple answers to what should be simple questions. Also I am very firm in what I am saying, the fact I had to research for hours isn't a reflection on what I'm trying to say but a reflection on the lack of pertinent information available. The fact that I actually research so much shows my tenacity to find out the proper solution for what the problem is, and my helpful attitude is just wanting to save others the heartache, apparently two things frowned upon.

No biggie, was just trying to be a contributor and a support for the community. I'll just keep assisting as many in game as I can for now.
    Post edited by KillingUGirl on

I've spent hours researching because the information simply does not exist, and there are very few experienced players willing to help. So I have learned alot just by trial and error and would love to pass along any information I have found to others so they do not have to be in the same boat that I had to be in, so you are correct this information comes from my experience and I do fully understand what I am saying, why would I offer to help if I didn't have a firm understanding on what I was saying? I didn't realize there was a qualification requirement for wanting to help others out and save them incredible amounts of frustration. I'll refrain from being helpful in the future lol. And while you may think the information you listed is actually helpful it doesn't answer ANY of the questions I had as a beginner. I think the seasoned players lose sight of what it is like to be new in this game. Oh and I am very firm in what I am saying the fact I had to research for hours isn't a reflection on what I'm trying to say but a reflection on the lack of pertinent information available. That fact that I actually research so much shows my tenacity to find out the proper solution for what the problem is, and my helpful attitude is just wanting to save others the heartache, apparently two things frowned upon.

I never said " don't make a guide ". I never said " you need to have this to make a guide ". If you believe you have good advice to give to a new player, then give it. Read my small print again.

" information simply does not exsist ". There are no relevant guides for new players that i'm aware of, the information that you want can be gained by experience. Small things facts that need to be confirmed can be gained by asking around, trial and error, etc.

" Why would I offer to help if i didn't have a firm understanding on what I was saying? ". That's my point, no need to start using " lol " to give yourself more confidence. The summery of my first comment is giving players information not backed up by facts and experience is a bad idea.

I see that the few minutes I spent copying and pasting the url and code wasn't appreciated. You originally said guides for new players, I gave you threads of guides that are useful for new players. You did not say that these new players were ones that didn't care about guns or building and only wanted to learn about how to explore : /

You're being very defensive and saying that I frown on your tenacity and help, which irritates me because my simple comment was don't give new players inaccurate information and interpreting it as me saying don't make a guide.

read my comment again. Did I show that your tenacity and attitude are worth frowning at? Did I say that there is a requirement on being nice? Giving players inaccurate information if harmful, which you can interpret as being nice.

TL:DR, I said don't give inaccurate information, then offered a list of guides FOR NEW PLAYERS. Not ones that don't care about anything else except exploring. This does not mean that you can't gain accurate information.

Also I want to get this out, your mis-interpretations are extremely annoying. That " lol " was the cherry on the cake. If you want help I can help you, but I won't continue arguing because you let your emotions get hurt, that being shown to me as you missed my point and got stupidly sarcastic.
    edited October 2015
    I never said " don't make a guide ". I never said " you need to have this to make a guide ". If you believe you have good advice to give to a new player, then give it. Read my small print again.
    Your exact words: "I don't want you to make a guide"

" information simply does not exsist ". There are no relevant guides for new players that i'm aware of, the information that you want can be gained by experience. Small things facts that need to be confirmed can be gained by asking around, trial and error, etc.

Exactly my point so why not share this information? I'm just want to share what took me a lot of effort and time to learn so others don't have to go through the trouble or frustration.

" Why would I offer to help if i didn't have a firm understanding on what I was saying? ". That's my point, no need to start using " lol " to give yourself more confidence. The summery of my first comment is giving players information not backed up by facts and experience is a bad idea.

First of all I don't use "lol" to build my confidence. I used it to lighten the mood. Please don't misinterpret my words.

I see that the few minutes I spent copying and pasting the url and code wasn't appreciated. You originally said guides for new players, I gave you threads of guides that are useful for new players. You did not say that these new players were ones that didn't care about guns or building and only wanted to learn about how to explore : /

I never said they weren't useful to new players. First of all I didn't ask for a guide while I do appreciate you posting them. My point was they didn't necessarily address any of my questions as a new player, and no I'm not referring to exploring.

You're being very defensive and saying that I frown on your tenacity and help, which irritates me because my simple comment was don't give new players inaccurate information and interpreting it as me saying don't make a guide.

I apologize for being defensive, but you did say, don't make a guide, but moving on. I misinterpreted your help as arrogance.

read my comment again. Did I show that your tenacity and attitude are worth frowning at? Did I say that there is a requirement on being nice? Giving players inaccurate information if harmful, which you can interpret as being nice.

first off when did I ever say I wanted to give players inaccurate information? And how do you know my information is inaccurate? That's my whole point I want to provide accurate helpful information derived from tedious research and experience.

TL:DR, I said don't give inaccurate information, then offered a list of guides FOR NEW PLAYERS. Not ones that don't care about anything else except exploring. This does not mean that you can't gain accurate information.

No one ever said anything about exploring. ( I'll refrain from the use of "lol" here). I care about every aspect of this game and my point is not everything out there addresses the vast amount of questions people may have. And no, accurate information is not available on every question players may have, you have to realize it is extremely frustrating as a new player because people address what they think you need to know and leave the rest out. I was just asking, instead of just doing, asking, if somehow I could help contribute in any way that would be beneficial that would save people time and MONEY! It's been a VERY expensive learning experience for me and if can save others from those mistakes I would like to. If my information was bad then fire me, just wanting to help the overall community, but, my lack of html skills and poor grammar disqualified me. Your point was I'm not qualified and shouldn't be offering advice. Fine point taken, moving on.

Also I want to get this out, your mis-interpretations are extremely annoying. That " lol " was the cherry on the cake. If you want help I can help you, but I won't continue arguing because you let your emotions get hurt, that being shown to me as you missed my point and got stupidly sarcastic.

The same could be said to you. Your mis-interpretations are very annoying as well. And you and I arguing back and forth will not help anyone. I again apologize for any defensiveness I had. Lets just close this thread and forget I asked. Thank you for your help.

Post edited by KillingUGirl on
    edited October 2015
    plus my original post is cutoff so that could be causing a lot of confusion as well
    edited October 2015
    Original post...

There is an incredible lack of pertinent information for new players as well as not so new out there for deepworld. I would like to start making guides that offer more help to all the questions I've spent hours researching to no avail, and had to figure out the hard way, and save others the frustration I've encountered. What would be the proper category to post these in? Also the wiki is for the most part is tremendously vague and doesn't really answer or address properly a lot of the questions some may have. There is some good info there that others have contributed but just not enough. How does one become an editor of the wiki? I would love to be able to help out and add more pertinent helpful information there.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Apparently an errant frustrated smiley caused all the problems. Removed smiley, problem solved.
    @KillingUGirl I won't be doing a pointless argument with a person who keeps missing my points and doesn't understand the argument is based on mis-understandings.

But I did read a this small part. " you exact words:' don't make a guide '". Congratulations. You've once again missed my point and taken a quote out of context.

I'll show you a correct quote. " don't make a guide because I want players to see… a guide… know what they're saying ".
    edited October 2015
    @CloudxCloud sigh....I said there were a lot of misunderstandings lets just drop it, so yes I do understand that. I even apologized. And if I took your statement out of context I apologize about that too I thought what you said was pretty straightforward so I'm sorry I missed it.

Sorry can't let this one go your exact quote was " I don't want you to make a guide because I want players who need help to see a guide made by a person with grammar, know how to use html, and have firm knowledge of what they're saying from their mind instead of them having to research for hours. Don't take anything personal." . First off not much to take out of context pretty straight forward. And I didn't even address the fact you insulted me when I was only trying to help. I was big enough to admit I was wrong and apologize why can't you? There's no reason for this petty quarreling especially when all I'm asking to do is help.
    I've read your mesage and accepted your apology. Sorry for my condescending-ness. That's just a part of my personality. I speak truthfully, I don't try to make nice or rude comments when I can.

Now that that's over. Is there any information you need? Not to boost my ego but my account is 23 months old with 40 days and a half of ingame time. Think I can answer most questions.
  • vin_venturevin_venture Minion Training Facility 274Member Posts: 1,186
    What kind of information are you looking for?
    edited October 2015
    @vin_venture I'm not looking for information but thank you. In my original post I was just asking where the best place would be for me post, if I could, helpful information that I have found out the hard way a lot of times through mistakes or research, that isn't readily available anywhere, that would benefit other new players, thats all. Thanks though vin for asking I appreciate it! And thanks again for showing up to help locate my composter way back when :)
    edited October 2015
    @CloudxCloud sounds good thanks if I do need help I'll be sure to look you up. :) and sorry again for all the misunderstandings!
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,034
    edited October 2015
    Although I am rusty to my bolts, deepworld hasn't changed so much from my hiatus, so I have plenty of knowledge on deepworld, just not things like communities?

Maybe specify what pages have vague details of deepworld? I'll edit as much as I can today to improve pages, however deepworld is about exploration too, and mechanics can be explored. Kind of like how the update list of terraria's 1.3 update list had a small amount of what was actually added into the game. Though, RPGMMO's are different from Single player action adventures.

TL;DR: I can fill in some pages with some information, but discovering DW mechanics are fun too.

Edit:

Although the guides currently made from developer trusted players can be useful and are full of information, is the fact that most players don't take the time to actually find out what they are doing, even though accessing the codex(wiki) is not a big problem whatsoever.

Also, if you took the time on how to edit the wiki, you would've found this information on the wiki.

Wiki access is by invitation-only.
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    Also, for those using the Steam Early Access version, there are a host of guides on Steam itself.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=442480568
    @ZstormGames offers several video tutorials from his channel all nicely thrown together in this guide

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431199517
    @TurretCube has made more than one guide pertaining to very specific parts of the game, this one being about mobs

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478514886
    Myself (p1nkbr0) has also made a guide, focusing on more advanced techniques and intricacies while also briefly covering basics for PC play.
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,483

Honestly I don't believe you're certified to give new players advice if you need to research it for hours.

I was shocked when I saw this comment, especially coming from someone who usually seems so cordial and good-natured. I would think that vainly researching something for hours and then having to work it out independently would be EXACTLY what would "certify" someone to give advice, lol! KillingUGirl is one of the most articulate new forumers we've had in a while, CloudxCloud -- don't scare her off! :)

I read the rest of the argument and am glad you two seem to have worked it out. Now back to the original subject, of where the best place is to put some guides for new kids.

I think you're absolutely right about how seasoned players often lose sight of what's difficult for new players. It makes perfect sense for a slightly-less-new player to create some guides to help those who are just starting out. All the hard stuff, and the ways you figured out how to solve things -- it's all still fresh in your mind and not taken for granted like it can be for people who have played a long time.

And I agree that the codex/wiki isn't always that helpful. (To become an editor, you need to have one of the devs/admins add you directly, and they're not super present at the moment, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. That said, I think when they do start adding people again, you'd make a GREAT editor.)

This means the forum really is the best place to post such guides. But to call it the best place is a bit misleading, because there are a lot of downsides to posting here. The main problem is that given the way the forum is set up, any guide will eventually get lost in the constant influx of new threads. People have posted many guides over the years -- targeting everyone from brand-new players to hardcore veterans -- and most of that info is (as you discovered) pretty much impossible to find now. I'm a long-time player who knows most of the ins and outs of the game, and I have a deep familiarity with what keywords to search for and how to use Google's advanced search features, and half the time even I can't find old threads that I know for a FACT actually exist, ha! So I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel for brand-new players who come to the forum looking for info. Doesn't help that the built-in forum search function is like its own tiny poster child for perfect suckage.

So ... to answer your basic question: this forum would be where to post stuff! And yes, there IS a niche for a new kid to post guides for other new kids. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Ignore the naysayers. Don't let anyone convince you that you don't know enough. You're the only one in this discussion who actually knows what it feels like to be new and confused and struggling. That makes you the ideal person to draw up some guides to help others in the same situation.
    edited October 2015
    Sirentist said:

Honestly I don't believe you're certified to give new players advice if you need to research it for hours.

I was shocked when I saw this comment, especially coming from someone who usually seems so cordial and good-natured. I would think that vainly researching something for hours and then having to work it out independently would be EXACTLY what would "certify" someone to give advice, lol! KillingUGirl is one of the most articulate new forumers we've had in a while, CloudxCloud -- don't scare her off! :)
    @Sirentist, I understand that It can easily be mis-interpreted and I didn't include my explanation. Most people don't understand my personality. A more clear phrasing would've been " Don't make a new player guide if you haven't reasearched or have information ".

Once the research has been done i'm indifferent to the guide. I interpreted that the guide was going to be posted soon.
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
    -waits for someone to post my thread-
    -fails and does it himself-
    http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/22729/how-to-start-off-guide-written-by-the-own-demons-hands-and-paws
    A great guide, made by me on how to start the game perfectly!
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts and words of encouragement!! I appreciate all of the advice. Just trying to find my place and be as helpful in the process as possible :) look forward to seeing you all in game!!
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,034

Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts and words of encouragement!! I appreciate all of the advice. Just trying to find my place and be as helpful in the process as possible :) look forward to seeing you all in game!!

All players have a place in deepworld, be it good or bad. Most don't know if there is a place or choose to do the wrong thing.

I wanted to give knowledge to other players in the game I had mentioned earlier before, terraria. I researched the wiki for hours on end and recognizing every detail that seem helpful. That information I found myself is now passed on to others that need help within servers that terraria can hold.

Really like the way you act, and if that very last part of my previous comment is taken a bit rude, I apologize.
  • GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember Posts: 933
    Hey KillingUGirl, I'd love to help you by providing information/whatever other way i can help. I think you're the ideal person for this- can't wait to see the product of all your effort and dedication!
    Thx grebebe! :)
  • Demon_WolfDemon_Wolf Look behind you, am i there? look in front of you, then look behind you again, i'm tripled!Member Posts: 1,425
    Maybe my superior knowledge could jump in...