Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Deepworld is dying, let's save it!

GRAPTIK_STORMGRAPTIK_STORM Member Posts: 73
(Please note that this piece is meant to be constructive, and is not meant in any way to offend or diminish the game's accomplishments.)
Ah, Deepworld, the game I have sunk so many weeks of play time into. What happened?
First off, I would like to express my disappointment that one of the developers (of a three man team) has left the game. Now, onto the main issues. Firstly is the fact that so much content was promised to us but has still not been delivered, even though it has been almost a year since it was announced. The biggest example of this being the Ocean Biome. Another, more questionable example is the order of the moon. I've been away for at least a month and the icon for the order of the moon has still not been implemented. I mean, you already have the system in place, so how hard can it be to add a small icon? It is this apparent slacking of development that could have lead to the game's diminishing popularity.
From my experience, there is only about 15-20% of the player base that it had before. Now don't get me wrong, I love Deepworld. In fact, it is probably in my top 5 favourite games, which is why I had to write this, because it hurts me so much to see the game going so downhill.
Now, here comes possibly the biggest and most controversial problem of all. Micro transactions/DLC. The biggest example of this that springs to mind is when we were forced to pay $50+ if we wanted privileges we should already have in worlds that we already paid for! I mean come on, there's no denying that this is just pure greed on the part of the developers. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. Most players have already paid for premium, bought a couple accessories and maybe a world or two and then they are expected to pay a huge sum on top to access features they should already have? It's not just me that thinks this, in fact, the game has a mixed, 60% rating on steam, which is pretty bad, and what's the one thing all of the negative reviews have in common? They mention the huge amount of micro transactions.
Now it's no secret that Deepworld's servers will one day shut down and we won't be able to access any of the content we paid for or anything we crested. However, with the absence of Quinn, the dwindling player base and the increasing cost of DLC, I fear that Deepworld's demise is going to be sooner than expected.
I would love to hear feedback from players, developers and admins alike, so please, leave your comments! Let's try and get Deepworld back on track!

Comments

• dragonkiller177dragonkiller177 Member Posts: 419
    What's a micro transaction?
    But I agree..
  • PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,641

But I agree..

Small purchases within the game. Five dollars do r some crown a would be a micro transaction.
  • GRAPTIK_STORMGRAPTIK_STORM Member Posts: 73

But I agree..

A micro transaction is extra content for the game

• SpyroSpyro Dumb enough to tryMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,692
    I actually think deepworld is doing alright. I like the idea of premium not having as many uses as it used to, because that means more ad revenue from non premium members who can still continue to play.
  • LyvenLyven Shuttered PalaceMember Posts: 6,453
    The only thing im dissapointed in deepworld is the insufficient "justice system".
  • LadySkrillexLadySkrillex At coachellaMember Posts: 791
    Idk what is happening to it, but I'm sure to keep being on for at least one more long year
  • FallersFallers noisnemid esrever a nIMember Posts: 1,244

I actually think deepworld is doing alright. I like the idea of premium not having as many uses as it used to, because that means more ad revenue from non premium members who can still continue to play.

(stares at the masses of scammers, beggers, griefers, and people in the world 'Hell")
    Hm, your correct.
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,349
    edited November 2015
    Side note: the shrinking player base is mostly due to the fact that we had to cut our marketing budget to zero for a few months. Bizness is hard. But anyway, we hope to ramp back up soon, along with some new updates. We may not be working full-time on Deepworld anymore, but we still have things in the works (and the long effort of updating the game for 64-bit is finally almost done). More info soon :)
  • zombiecatcherzombiecatcher Being an edgy kidMember Posts: 716
    Sometimes karma sucks, if someone donates and you mine what they donated, and you get karma...... NUUUUU, but srsly. I agree with Graptik, no offense mike. But maybe try a bit harder (again, i suck at coding and im sorry if you are just super busy)
  • KliuqardKliuqard I'll actually put a location. Las Vegas, Nevada. Stalk me now.Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,035
    edited November 2015
    @mikelaurence

Visiting your mac beta thread, I assume simple update addons (Order of The Moon icon, for example) was delayed due to 64-bit requirement by apple, thus in order to add new things to deepworld, it had to be 64-bit updated. Luckily, the deepworld community has developed patience for long update and no announcement didn't freak us out, heh.

Even a small mechanic change can make the most loyal of deepworld players play for a few months. Or just me.

Question: Does this make deepworld's proformance improve overall?

Edit: (Just saw this right now)

I agree with Graptik, no offense mike. But maybe try a bit harder (again, i suck at coding and im sorry if you are just super busy)

This is a bit rude, seeing as the devs are unable to work full-time, and have to work another job in order to fufill their duties in real life. Life isn't easy, and sure as hell is making a game easier either.
  • Bastian7Bastian7 Between WorldsMember Posts: 417
    Truthfully I quit playing deep world about 3 months ago, but it was not do to micro transactions. Basically my level maxed out and I was bored with the same old content. I don't mind spending some money, but there wasn't anything I wanted to buy. I traded some onyx for the world machines but didn't buy the market. Implementation of the the market upgrade scattered most players, and there wasn't a set place to hang out anymore. I still check in every once in a while to see how things are going.
  • Sir_AthurSir_Athur 233 west, 11 down, (behind the wardrobe) on my red block.Member Posts: 237
    The de facto "destruction" of North Market by the new Market Converters really damaged the Pro scene immensely. It was not a foreseeable event, but i also took and am taking longer breaks since the North Community died out or got scattered.
    I do agree @Bastian7
  • GRAPTIK_BLIZZARDGRAPTIK_BLIZZARD World Name: Geen EdenMember Posts: 564
    In my opinion, one of the main issues is a lack of advertising. When Deepworld came out on steam, if I didn't already know about it on iOS, I woludn't have even known it existed. I am a VERY regular steam user and I have seen no mention of it anywhere, unless I actually search for it. I think some investment in advertising would really pay off, because how can a game gain a huge player base if there isn't an easy way for people to find it? In fact,the only reason I stumbled across Deepworld was because I was looking for games like Terraria on the app store, which is a pretty niche search in the grand scheme of things. Word of mouth doesn't cut it any more, and with millions of gamers using services like Youtube, I feel this would be a good place to start.
    Secondly, and I hate to adress this one, is microtransactions. To add onto what Storm said at the start, most of the microtransactions in this game aren't too bad. In fact, some of them make a lot of sense. However, microtransactions/DLC are seen as the devil's work these days, and have to be done with extreme care to be pulled off effectively. For example, if I download a free to play game from steam, or the app store, and am almost instantly greeted by a screen showing me things I can buy, I am extremely likely to feel that the game is "Pay 2 Win" or is just trying to extract money from me. However, if the game allows me time to progress and get a feel for the game, I am infinitely more likely to purchase additional content that I feel is useful.

Of course, with all of this talk about improvements the game could make, it's easy to forget that Deepworld actually does a lot of things right. One of these is value. I have put around £200/$300 into the game so far, and my playtime is somewhere in the region of 2000 hours, give or take. Now, when compared to many other games, this is extremely good value. Most games in my steam library actually have extremely low price/playtime ratios, and I feel that for the vast majority of players, this is where Deepworld shines. I also think that the game is in a fortunate state at the moment, in that all of the artwork and mechanics are already developed. This allows a certain amount of focus on advertising that a less polished game wouldn't have. Personally, as I said above, I would invest in some advertisment, and once the game gains a lot more players, start adding new content oncemore. It's sad to say, but it reallly isn't effective to be adding more content to a game with a dwindling player base, and would be more effective to use these funds for advertisement first, and then make more content.
  • Dominus_MortisDominus_Mortis I am being super super super super super super super super super SUUUUPER good. Mmkay? Kay.Member Posts: 947

Side note: the shrinking player base is mostly due to the fact that we had to cut our marketing budget to zero for a few months. Bizness is hard. But anyway, we hope to ramp back up soon, along with some new updates. We may not be working full-time on Deepworld anymore, but we still have things in the works (and the long effort of updating the game for 64-bit is finally almost done). More info soon :)

Bizness??? Don't mean to be a grammar cop but isn't it business?
  • PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,641

I think it's supposed to be a joke... Come one, no one is that stoopeed.
  • Dominus_MortisDominus_Mortis I am being super super super super super super super super super SUUUUPER good. Mmkay? Kay.Member Posts: 947
    PIPTR0 said:

I think it's supposed to be a joke... Come one, no one is that stoopeed.
    Silly me. 3:
  • LittyKittyLittyKitty =^+.+^=Member Posts: 1,165
    I'm actually pretty okay with the state of Deepworld at this moment. You don't need to have new blocks and rare items to be happy. Or a whole set of onyx accessories (even though I don't know what I'd do without mine, but it's possible to scavenge enough money through mining to get them by trade!). In fact, these past few months of mine, just building, have been the happiest I've been on Deepworld for the longest time. I like to think of it as a suspenseful book -- what's going to happen? You have to read on to find out!

If you really have nothing to do while you're waiting for new updates to come out, just build mini puzzles out of wood or stone or extra blocks! They're super fun:D
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,326

Sometimes karma sucks, if someone donates and you mine what they donated, and you get karma...... NUUUUU, but srsly. I agree with Graptik, no offense mike. But maybe try a bit harder (again, i suck at coding and im sorry if you are just super busy)

(Emphasis mine.)

I'm sorry but that is a really rude thing to say. Coding a game isn't something where you just snap your fingers, tap out a few lines and push build. It's something that takes effort, commitment and a fair bit of frustration.
    Sometimes a critical library will cease to be updated, meaning you need to find another and alter your entire code to still work.
    Maybe your porting it to another platform and that requires a re-write of your entire code to get it to work with that framework.
    Perhaps you come across a bug that when 'fixed' causes a dozen other bits to break.
    That's without having even added any new features!
    You can't simply judge the effort that has been put in by simply looking at the amount of features. I admit that I am not the best of coders, but it'd take me ages to fix one of the aforementioned issues, if I could even fix it at all. If it was a big enough feature it might even take a very long time to fix it, time without features. Does that mean I am putting in no effort?
    Same goes for Mike here. Just because you can't see features pumping out weekly doesn't mean that he isn't trying. Refactoring code is a major part that the public never really sees.

That all being said, I think that it's perfectly fine to take a break, or to spend a while implementing a 64bit version so long as you tell the players. If you don't say something how is everyone else to know what's going on. Even this as a tweet would be fine:
    "Hey guys, we are currently in the middle of making deepworld 64bit for apple. Please bare with us and we will be able to get back to making some snazzy new content ASAP"

But please please please just let us know. Don't need technical details or anything, just knowledge of what's happening on the development side
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347
    Since people are "bored" to the point they are taking a break here's a challenge. Go to the unexplored tab, click a random world and purify it and rebuild the whole world into something cool (ex. A city, a maze, a bunch of pixel art, etc.) that should keep everyone entertained until the next update while reducing the amount of abandoned worlds.
    Aspire said:

Since people are "bored" to the point they are taking a break here's a challenge. Go to the unexplored tab, click a random world and purify it and rebuild the whole world into something cool (ex. A city, a maze, a bunch of pixel art, etc.) that should keep everyone entertained until the next update while reducing the amount of abandoned worlds.

I used to live in a world that was abandoned because no one liked living in an acidic world, sounds like an idea.
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347

Aspire said:

I used to live in a world that was abandoned because no one liked living in an acidic world, sounds like an idea.
    Its convenient, gives more content, and makes it so people can get together and build big projects out of existing worlds
  • chaos_controlchaos_control Member Posts: 40
    My opinion is through a dying of population will soon make a stunt of population growth being the devs will strive to make the game better to attract more people
  • ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 883
    Im still ok with the fact that no new items came out in the last few months because i still have all the following items to find naturally : tall giftbox,large gift box, giftbox,hunter head, jackalope head, airship in a bottle,globe, stunt surfer, Alpaca, outling, leap quest and notch. Wich mean i already found all other items in the game atleast once.
    Aspire said:

Aspire said:

Its convenient, gives more content, and makes it so people can get together and build big projects out of existing worlds
    That and you can keep it for "yourself." Or make a village with a friend, cough cough.
    It's not dying
  • tjergoztjergoz Member, Arbiter Posts: 5,439

It's not dying

It certainly has seen better days. Significant better days.
    tjergoz said:

It's not dying

True, all true...
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,349
    edited November 2015
    Kliuqard said:

@mikelaurence

Visiting your mac beta thread, I assume simple update addons (Order of The Moon icon, for example) was delayed due to 64-bit requirement by apple, thus in order to add new things to deepworld, it had to be 64-bit updated. Luckily, the deepworld community has developed patience for long update and no announcement didn't freak us out, heh.

Even a small mechanic change can make the most loyal of deepworld players play for a few months. Or just me.

Yeah, I just needed a break too, after four years of non-stop work :)
  • Dr_DerpDr_Derp tejasMember Posts: 780
    tjergoz said:

It's not dying

Back when you could have tens of people followed, and living in the same protector area, yet having no griefing problems because you know you could trust them. I remember me and @DaBiscuitGod adding people we barely knew at the time, yet they never broke anything, and were always active, coming online at least once per day. And somehow, we made a quite large settlement taking up almost 1/4th the surface of a world, and a lot below as well. It lasted for almost 4 months before something sour had to happen.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453
    Dr_Derp said:

tjergoz said:

It's not dying

Back when you could have tens of people followed, and living in the same protector area, yet having no griefing problems because you know you could trust them. I remember me and @DaBiscuitGod adding people we barely knew at the time, yet they never broke anything, and were always active, coming online at least once per day. And somehow, we made a quite large settlement taking up almost 1/4th the surface of a world, and a lot below as well. It lasted for almost 4 months before something sour had to happen.
    And the world started becoming populated by people we didn't know D: