Our new Space Biome update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Donors vs. Non-Donors

FallersFallers noisnemid esrever a nIMember Posts: 1,244
edited November 2015 in General
I really want to settle this debate. Why is begging bad? If you don't think begging is bad, then why is it good?

Donors vs. Non-Donors 40 votes

Begging is horrible!
72%
tjergozSpyroLadySkrillexawesomeo13Retro_ChowAquaPhynnMuneebSteve777MillicentGilbySir_AthurCloudxCloudNexeusTurretCubeAMWhyBastian7derpdeeshock_waveiain2318Smoothy 29 votes
Donation helps a lot.
27%
AEONXALCleoAdkins007FreshXGlobeX_Onyx_XTiagonatorMadilyn.Dominus_MortisFallers[Deleted User][Deleted User] 11 votes

Comments

• Sir_AthurSir_Athur 233 west, 11 down, (behind the wardrobe) on my red block.Member Posts: 237
    Begging is horrible!
    Aggrevated begging is very annoying and -well- makes me feel horribly uncomfortable. So yes: generally speaking begging is horrible.

On the other hand, a polite question from a new player for a useful item is always something i like to react positively to. Im more than happy to hand out the occasional gun, flashlight or tool, etc. and help new players on their journey. I'm game for that.

Not reasonable, not useful requests for free onyx, rares, diamonds, crystals in large quantity etc. is NOT a request for help: it's greed and is the worst kind of entitled annoying behavior i can imagine: THAT is truly horrible because its pure GREED!
  • LittyKittyLittyKitty =^+.+^=Member Posts: 1,165
    Why should people nag others for items when they could be spending that time actually doing the work to get the item themselves? Personally, I don't accept donations whatsoever because I feel that that is ruining the reason of the game. If you're not spending the time to work for your items and you get them all free, then what's the point of the game? To be the best seducer? To brag about items you pretty much stole from other people? To annoy people to the point where they'll do anything to get you to shut up? I don't think so.
  • AMWhyAMWhy Member Posts: 1,109
    Begging is horrible!
    Begging is laziness and/or greed. Although I give out gifts often. I have a simple rule: I only give to those who don't ask.
  • SmoothySmoothy Definitely not drinking a Smoothie ATM...Member Posts: 636
    Begging is horrible!
    Begging is bad because why would you want to take some else's hard work when you can earn it yourself? No one likes a beggar because they just want to use someone else's hard work. If you need something just mention that you don't have it and see if anyone else is kind enough to donate it. Overall, this is why beggars gain little respect vs. a player that is going to gain it themselves because they are kind determined players that don't care about rare valuables as much as those who want to take from others.
  • FallersFallers noisnemid esrever a nIMember Posts: 1,244
    edited November 2015
    Donation helps a lot.
    AMWhy said:

Begging is laziness and/or greed. Although I give out gifts often. I have a simple rule: I only give to those who don't ask.

But, how do you know if the other person wants items? Is it like:
    "HEY! DO YOU WANT ITEMS?!"
    "AHH! Erm..sure?"
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    Begging is horrible!
    Example:

Polite way to ask: "May I please have a piece of onyx to make a shovel?"

Rude Way to ask: "Gimme onxys lik 10 for cool trad purpuses kay cool lel!"

Long as it has a small function then people are somewhat ok with it.

P.S, I really do need 1 onyx for a Shovel, anyone mind do Donate one? Thanks :]
  • zombiecatcherzombiecatcher Being an edgy kidMember Posts: 716
    Begging is horrible!
    It's laziness and it makes me turn into bok and sniff the guys feet and make the guy golike ewwww and go like BLLLAAAAARF! But seriously, it makes me supa annoyed. I give out steam pistols or cannons or muskets to noobies or people that ask politely. but not like
    GIMME YO MK 3 OR I POO IN YO FACE!
    @Fallers didn't you once beg for my mk 3 or something. I dunno
    Fallers: GIMME MK 3
    Me:NUUU
    Fall:I GIVE SON OF MAN FOR IT
    Me:ITS NFS
    Fall:I EAT YO HAND
    WAT!! (vomits)
  • GlobeGlobe Eating Lisa's brainMember Posts: 1,239
    Donation helps a lot.
    I'm a rebel
    Begging is horrible!

I'm a rebel

Donation does help sometimes though...
  • AMWhyAMWhy Member Posts: 1,109
    edited November 2015
    Begging is horrible!
    Fallers said:

AMWhy said:

But, how do you know if the other person wants items? Is it like:
    "HEY! DO YOU WANT ITEMS?!"
    "AHH! Erm..sure?"
    I listen in chat.
    If someone says "who sells dia mining gloves?" and I have one, I'll give it.

I gave a rabbit foot once. I think that's the highest.

I also occasionally go on random giving sprees.
  • Dominus_MortisDominus_Mortis Ļ̴̛̤̩̙͕̥̠̪̗̭̲̪͕̻̇̆̆̅͋̅̒͋̂̅̎͘͝ͅo̴͙͔̭̰̙̼͕̗͇̗̩͇̳̮̦̗̰͙̭͇͑͝ĺ̶͍͛̐̓͆Member Posts: 887
    Donation helps a lot.
    Donating could help but seriously, no one wants to donate around the clock. I'm mostly willing to donate to my friends.
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,169
    That moment when you donate an item to a newbie even though they were begging rudely and they say ' YOU SCAMMER , IMMA REPORT YOU' makes me lose faith in honesty..
  • CloudxCloudCloudxCloud EarthMember Posts: 684
    Begging is horrible!
    The word begging itself has a bad connotation in this situation.

The usual begging starts with " give me " and that is utterly greedy. No debate, you don't say " give me this " if the other person is a stranger who has no obligation for you. Demanding.
    Ex. hey, can you give me a energy cannon? I'm starting out.
    Ex. Can you please give me a diamond shovel? You're rich, you can afford it

Donations* are good. The usual donation is someone describes their situation and the doner donates. Voulentarily.
    Ex. I'm collecting bears, could you donate to my collection?
    Ex. I've been hacked, could you help me out?

In the end, It's just about defining what situations are begging and what are donations. Donations, good. Begging, bad.
  • LadySkrillexLadySkrillex At coachellaMember Posts: 791
    Begging is horrible!
    I hate beggars. To really get the full experience of Deepworld, they should do the work themselves
  • shock_waveshock_wave R.I.P Being activeMember Posts: 501
    Begging is horrible!
    Also sometimes you will think asking nice is not begging but when you ask all the times it turns out it is begging.
  • Rockster514Rockster514 The TARDISMember Posts: 371
    Begging is horrible AND donations help a lot. If people politely request items that they themselves are unable to produce, I might give them some, but I would not consider this begging. Also, if someone needs something I have a surplus of, I'll donate it to be helpful.

Occasionally, I'll dress as a beginner and ask for help (nothing big, just say things like "I'm just starting, could somebody give me a musket please?"), and if someone helps, I'll pay them back with tons of rares just for being nice.
  • FallersFallers noisnemid esrever a nIMember Posts: 1,244
    edited November 2015
    Donation helps a lot.
    Sir_Athur said:

Aggrevated begging is very annoying and -well- makes me feel horribly uncomfortable. So yes: generally speaking begging is horrible.

On the other hand, a polite question from a new player for a useful item is always something i like to react positively to. Im more than happy to hand out the occasional gun, flashlight or tool, etc. and help new players on their journey. I'm game for that.

Not reasonable, not useful requests for free onyx, rares, diamonds, crystals in large quantity etc. is NOT a request for help: it's greed and is the worst kind of entitled annoying behavior i can imagine: THAT is truly horrible because its pure GREED!

Why should people nag others for items when they could be spending that time actually doing the work to get the item themselves? Personally, I don't accept donations whatsoever because I feel that that is ruining the reason of the game. If you're not spending the time to work for your items and you get them all free, then what's the point of the game? To be the best seducer? To brag about items you pretty much stole from other people? To annoy people to the point where they'll do anything to get you to shut up? I don't think so.

AMWhy said:

Okay, I agree mostly with your arguments. But the only other way for new players to get items is to mine, and if you don't have resources or items you can't really build or survive or even PVP with other players with a flimsy pistol. So, at least every player is going to need at least SOME help. Perhaps, a better gun to fend off the evil critters that can be found, during mining. Maybe, some jerky so the player could survive in dungeons and maybe even raid a dungeon. Seeing that almost everyone is a "professional" at Deepworld, you guys could easily spare some jerky, or even a cannon (not in the MK2, or MK3 range).
  • FreshXFreshX "Kazuie, kazoe. Let me suck them toes." -Chicken Member Posts: 1,342
    Donation helps a lot.
    If I were you, I would make a 50/50 choice. Begging is good and bad. And I meant to press choice 1
  • iain2318iain2318 Plotting my revenge in a dark caveMember Posts: 513
    Begging is horrible!
    When you earn it it feels so much better
  • X_Onyx_XX_Onyx_X Member Posts: 274
    Donation helps a lot.
    I mean asking for donations is not bad if you need common things like sandstone, limestone, iron... But asking for onyx or other raress then yes.
    Begging is horrible!
    Its in the middle, begging is bad. Like in deepworld someone did this
    annoyingbeggar:give energy
    me:I'm sorry, but I have one, here's a musket. (gives musket)
    annoyingbeggar: (BEEP BEEP BEEPITY BEEP) YOU! GIVE IT
    me:sheesh, i helped you. Be thankful dude.
    annoyingbeggar: ZOMBIECATCHER IS HACKA
    me:...
    annoyingnoob:can i have energy?
    me:sorry no
    annoyingnoob:YA HE HACKA
    (TEN HOURS LATER)
    annoyingman:ZOMBIECATCHER HACKER
    weirdude:he is? OK ZOMBIECATCHER HACKER
    jeff:(beep) YOU ZOMBIECATCHER YOU HACKER
    THEN EVERYONE SAYS IMA HACKA. But some people ignore it.
    watman:ZOMBIECATCHER STOP IT YOU HACKING ME (is really hacking someone else)
    Gilby:....
    Fail_ure ( @Fallers ):ummm
    on the other hand.....
    nicestarter:i need help, anyone donate a jerky and a musket :)
    me:sure! (gives)
    nicestarter:TY!
    ONE YEAR LATER
    nicestarter(who is now pro):HERE IS A FREE ONYX FOR WHAT YOU DID
    me:woahhh... thanks man!
    donation can get rewards and its great!begging.... no
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    Why not both???
    Begging is horrible!
    p1nkbr0 said:

Why not both???

As again, p1nkbr0 says something obvious but clever!
  • CleoAdkins007CleoAdkins007 Land of OzMember Posts: 1,112
    Donation helps a lot.
    Begging is bad, but a polite request is fine, just don't annoy people. And people who donate are awesome!
  • Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloMember Posts: 1,574
    Begging is horrible!
    A lot of people asked me for items. I don't say no to be greedy.... its just that if I gave items to everyone that asked I wouldn't really have anything of my own. I made it my policy to donate only to people I know well ig
  • dragonkiller177dragonkiller177 Member Posts: 419
    I don't really wanna pick as it isn't horrid but I've never really asked for donations Maybe once because I was poor,But it didn't really help alot as I Didn't sell Then I just kept them strictly as decorations.
  • TREYP25_ONYXTREYP25_ONYX Member Posts: 3
    Begging is horrible!
    First I will randomly give some crystals,mark 1 guns to new players if they ask or just randomly pick someone who seems to be picked on or called a noob,but it doesn't help because when I give something away they tell their friends and then I have an army of them asking for free crystals and such
  • SimplinSimplin Member Posts: 28
    Although I do give items away from time to time I am cautious and hesitant to do so.

Many players seem to feel entitled to things, a carry-over from their early relationship with their parents. Their feeling is, 'I want it, so I should receive it' or, 'you are unkind if you do not give me what I want'. This kind of childishness is understandable given the age of many players here of course. Still, it would be best for me to not contribute to their "miseducation".

I feel that in many cases giving a player something free is in fact cheating them. The reward is in the journey, not the finish line. For example in my case, I feel no sense of accomplishment when I am given a free rare item. I do however feel a great sense of accomplishment when I obtain one from learning hundreds of in-game lessons, trading with hundreds or thousands of players until that magical moment that I can finally buy that rare item with my hard earned onyx.

Really, I am not interested in receiving anything for free here or elsewhere. I want the pleasure of earning it. I am selfish about that pleasure and know that it does not and cannot come without hard effort.

Just my thoughts...
  • NerevarineNerevarine Our reports showed a massive anomaly in the space-time continuum...Member Posts: 3,601
    if they were asking like... "PLEASE GIVE ME RED CRY!!!!" i kill them.
    if they were asking nicely... I give them but i still kill them afterwards.
  • Steve777Steve777 Jumping through time. 1 s/second.Member Posts: 1,233
    Begging is horrible!
    Get it yourself.