Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Should scammers be punished?

LorthrashLorthrash Member Posts: 616
edited November 2015 in Gripes and Grins
I was scammed an onyx from someone.... Either I lost my stuff (coffin, dig dug, 2 onyx, 3 of each large Crystal, some diamonds)
Or I pay him 1 onyx and he would invite me back to his world and I could get my stuff... During this process I learned many things...
I played dumb basically so I could get him to admit to it. Here it is
Post edited by Lorthrash on
image.png
1136 x 640 - 704K
image.png
1136 x 640 - 702K
image.png
1136 x 640 - 737K
image.png
1136 x 640 - 788K
image.png
1136 x 640 - 748K
image.png
1136 x 640 - 739K

Comments

• SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,710
    This is definitely a purposeful abuse of the /wremove command.

Now I don't mean to blame the victim here, but my question is ... why would you place such valuable items in a world that someone else owns to begin with? Everyone knows that world owners have the ability to remove members. You should never place rares in someone else's world unless you're prepared to someday lose access to those rares.
  • BlackoutBlackout [email protected] email me if you wanna join ^_^Member Posts: 347

sometimes most victims are so young and friendly .. most scammers plan their tricks to earn someone's trust especially when they know that their target is nice with couple of rares.
    i answered your question even i know you know the answer for that.
    Sirentist said:

Now I don't mean to blame the victim here, but my question is ... why would you place such valuable items in a world that someone else owns to begin with? Everyone knows that world owners have the ability to remove members. You should never place rares in someone else's world unless you're prepared to someday lose access to those rares.

• BlackoutBlackout [email protected] email me if you wanna join ^_^Member Posts: 347
    Lorthrash said:

I was scammed an onyx from someone.... Either I lost my stuff (coffin, dig dug, 2 onyx, 3 of each large Crystal, some diamonds)
    Or I pay him 1 onyx and he would invite me back to his world and I could get my stuff... During this process I learned many things...
    I played dumb basically so I could get him to admit to it. Here it is

sorry for double post i saw that guy and he said he will unban you lorth pm me when you're on.
    Blackout said:

Sirentist said:

sometimes most victims are so young and friendly .. most scammers plan their tricks to earn someone's trust especially when they know that their target is nice with couple of rares.

Lorthrash's account is almost three years old ... and they seem like a pretty experienced player (at least from the screenshots and discussions about skill levels, etc.). That's why I asked the question.

No need to tag on things like "even i know you know the answer for that." I asked the question because I don't know the answer. And my question remains: why would such an experienced player place such valuable rares in the world of someone they don't know and trust? In a world named "Fishing For Onyx," no less, lol. Especially when you can tell from the original post, as well as from the chat in the pictures, that Lorthrash already seems to know that the person is a scammer.

Anyhow, to answer Lorthrash's original question "Can scammers be banned?" -- the answer is no. At least not for this type of scamming. Which sucks, because this is such an obvious abuse of the world ownership commands. But there you have it.
  • LorthrashLorthrash Member Posts: 616
    Sirentist said:

Blackout said:

Sirentist said:

Lorthrash's account is almost three years old ... and they seem like a pretty experienced player (at least from the screenshots and discussions about skill levels, etc.). That's why I asked the question.

No need to tag on things like "even i know you know the answer for that." I asked the question because I don't know the answer. And my question remains: why would such an experienced player place such valuable rares in the world of someone they don't know and trust? In a world named "Fishing For Onyx," no less, lol. Especially when you can tell from the original post, as well as from the chat in the pictures, that Lorthrash already seems to know that the person is a scammer.

Anyhow, to answer Lorthrash's original question "Can scammers be banned?" -- the answer is no. At least not for this type of scamming. Which sucks, because this is such an obvious abuse of the world ownership commands. But there you have it.
    Actually.... Im not as experienced as you think. I start in 2013... Played for a month or 2 at most and stopped playing. I started again this September and had only my skill points and premium account, maybe a few common items. I got everything I have now during my return. Why I placed? Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. It's wrong to immediately assume someone scams.

For Example:
    Me: let's play a game. 2 people play and compare rares. If you want to win prizes you have to place them in my pro.
    Random Person: Your a scammer! I'll place them in my pro.
    Me: Then I won't reward you.

This example is something I made up but you the situation. You can't prove someone is a scammer through assuming what might happen. I gave the guy in the picture a chance and he failed. Many people think I scam, but don't know. I'll tell you this, I don't scam. I don't expect anyone to take my word but only I will know the truth on my side...

Lorthrash said:

Why I placed? Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. It's wrong to immediately assume someone scams.

For Example:
    Me: let's play a game. 2 people play and compare rares. If you want to win prizes you have to place them in my pro.

This example is something I made up but you the situation. You can't prove someone is a scammer through assuming what might happen. I gave the guy in the picture a chance and he failed. Many people think I scam, but don't know. I'll tell you this, I don't scam. I don't expect anyone to take my word but only I will know the truth on my side...

LOL, if you're trying to get people to play that kind of game, you're bound to get a reputation as a scammer! :)
    Sirentist said:

Lorthrash said:

Why I placed? Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. It's wrong to immediately assume someone scams.

For Example:

LOL, if you're trying to get people to play that kind of game, you're bound to get a reputation as a scammer! :)
    I just made it up on the spot lol
    Havent actually tried that game
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    With @Muneeb, @Sirentist and @Blackout posting I'm surprised no one has said this already, but you are not allowed to name players as scammers on the forum. As such you should remove the pictures.
  • Wonder_melon_Wonder_melon_ DANK MAY MAYS ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤMember Posts: 1,361
    Can bammers be scammed?
  • zombiecatcherzombiecatcher Being an edgy kidMember Posts: 716

Can bammers be scammed?

bammers? You mean banners? (like admins.. lisa?)
    Also, I think Deepworld needs mods. (sirentist,milli and others) to protect us from scammers, bad greifers, and etc. Deepworld is a good game, but has a... more or less terrible community.
    Yea especially with the ones who swear a lot in game those are the worst... ;)

Yea especially with the ones who swear a lot in game those are the worst... ;)

Nah, I think greifers and scammers are the worst (maybe hackers, but you can't really hack)
    @zombiecatcher I only greifed like twenty times.. And I stopped scamming and hacking yesterday dude let it go
    Jk

Jk

I don't think double posting really is allowed. Anyways.
    (Spanks @Wonder_bread_ )
    @Fallers ! PLAY FUNERAL MUSIC IM KILLIN' WONDER BREAD!
    DOES IT LOOK LIKE I CARE WHATS ALLOWED AND WHAT ISNT? Idk I'm asking you! And oh daddy ;)

DOES IT LOOK LIKE I CARE WHATS ALLOWED AND WHAT ISNT? Idk I'm asking you! And oh daddy ;)

WELL SON WHEN YOU GROW OLDER LISA OR SIRENTIST WILL MURDER YOU FOR DOING TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD THINGS SO LEARN THE RULES AND BE LIKES YOUR DADDY!
    LISA IS COOL AND SIRENTIST IS SWAG OKA OKA OKA OKAAAAAA!!!!!! I HAVENT BEEN WARNED YET OR ANYTHING SO I GUES IM AIGHT LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL HUE HUE HUE -evil laughter- >XXXXDDDDDDDDDD

LISA IS COOL AND SIRENTIST IS SWAG OKA OKA OKA OKAAAAAA!!!!!! I HAVENT BEEN WARNED YET OR ANYTHING SO I GUES IM AIGHT LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL HUE HUE HUE -evil laughter- >XXXXDDDDDDDDDD

See you in jail! Anyways we're getting off topic. We need to talk about our topic.
    Scammers should be banned depending what they scammed (obviously.)
    Maybe scamming 2 onyx will lead to account ban, 5 to IP ban!?
    Hey @zombiecatcher when I'm in jail can ya bail me out? Or I have other options;)
  • LyvenLyven Shuttered PalaceMember Posts: 6,453
    edited November 2015
    We're drifting off the subject.

The only advice i can give you is to never place items and/or protectors in people's worlds that looks suspicious.

Also, do not trust a stranger, even when he is vouched by someone else. Only trust those that you have traded many times with, or people that you are sure are your "friends".

Best for you not to do those "prove yourself" things. Youre bound to loose something or give the wrong message to people.

See you in jail! Anyways we're getting off topic. We need to talk about our topic.
    Thats too much. Scamming, while it is terrible, shouldnt have too heavy consequences.
    Players who scammed should be judges fairly. Being IP banned for scamming 5 onyx is still heavy. Despite what most people think, onyx really isnt that rare, especially if you are a very active miner.
    Post edited by Lyven on
    @lyven I'm glad you agree that onyx isn't that rare
    Lyven said:

We're drifting off the subject.

The only advice i can give you is to never place items and/or protectors in people's worlds that looks suspicious.

Also, do not trust a stranger, even when he is vouched by someone else. Only trust those that you have traded many times with, or people that you are sure are your "friends".

Best for you not to do those "prove yourself" things. Youre bound to loose something or give the wrong message to people.

Thats too much. Scamming, while it is terrible, shouldnt have too heavy consequences.
    Players who scammed should be judges fairly. Being IP banned for scamming 5 onyx is still heavy. Despite what most people think, onyx really isnt that rare, especially if you are a very active miner.
    Gotta agree with you too, 2 weeks ago I found 6 onyx total. 3 one day. 1 the next day. And 2 next to each other the next day. Not that you can't trust anyone. It's more that you don't know if you can. My suggestion: if it doesn't sound right, don't take the chance.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2015
    Scammers can be banned, but not for scamming! ;)
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347
    I'm just wondering how many times this is going to be asked. We may need a big area on the forums that says "Scamming is NOT Bannable."
  • DeathSwaggaDeathSwagga In the firey depths of hell.Member Posts: 493
    Aspire said:

I'm just wondering how many times this is going to be asked. We may need a big area on the forums that says "Scamming is NOT Bannable."

It should be bannable :(
    Aspire said:

They should be punished : )
  • AspireAspire Member Posts: 347

Aspire said:

It should be bannable :(
    Lorthrash said:

Aspire said:

They should be punished : )
    They should. But they can't unfortunately. And adding another thread is hardly likely to change that. Believe it or not it tends to get annoying after a couple hundred threads (I'm exaggerating but I'm sure there's been that many)
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453
    It's not that the developers are okay with scamming, it's just that there isn't a really good way to fairly punish a scammer