Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Spawner Question

SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,086Member, Moderator, Arbiter
edited February 2016 in Questions
First, though, did you know "culvert" seems to be the latest official term for what players have variously referred to as an automata maw, round maw, gold maw, mechanical maw, or (confusingly) pipe? Look at the new Codex item list:

I have to say, I think "culvert" is the best term yet. Certainly way better than "pipe," which is what it was originally called. (You can see from the item ID, though, that at heart, culverts still think they're pipes.)

Anyhow, with that in mind, here's my mass spawner issue:

It seems like if you have a diamond mass spawner configured for active maw spawning, and you kill a maw- or culvert-dropped mob with a crit hit such that the mob drops its loot directly on top of the maw or culvert (instead of into your inventory), this appears to instantly and totally suppress all mob spawning from that maw or culvert.

In worlds without mass spawners, if a mob's loot drop obstructs a maw/culvert opening, a new mob will eventually (usually quite quickly) spawn and consume it. In fact, placing any item on top of an open culvert is a tried and true way to destroy that item. But for some reason on my world with the mass spawner, a pile of resin is blocking the culvert and refusing to disappear.

It seems that actually PLACING a pile of giblets on top of an open maw or culvert also completely suppresses further mob spawning, but only in worlds where mob spawning is activated by a mass spawner.

I have tried leaving the world and coming back, logging out, and quitting the game entirely. That damn resin is still there, ha!

Can anyone else with a diamond or onyx mass spawner let me know if they're seeing the same behavior?

(Below is a snapshot of me waiting hopefully for a mob to spawn and obliterate that pile of resin. Yes, that is my hopeful face.)
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 9.22.02 AM.png
610 x 760 - 246K

Comments

• Steve777Steve777 Jumping through time. 1 s/second.Posts: 1,233Member
    That's a depressing happy face.

Also, it's quite weird how resin keeps the automata in. Maybe they're so disgusted with it that they don't want to come out?
  • Lord_KyuubiLord_Kyuubi on the internet, boosting my self esteem with inspect element...Posts: 729Member
    Steve777 said:

That's a depressing happy face.

Also, it's quite weird how resin keeps the automata in. Maybe they're so disgusted with it that they don't want to come out?

automata 1: hey, wanna go out and hopefully not die?
    automata 2:ew no, there is resin, no way im going out!
    every automata that wasnt mentioned: SAY NO TO RESIN!
    automata 1: :(
  • KittyKupoKittyKupo Laying in a sunbeamPosts: 2,252Member
    Culvert
    [kuhl-vert]
    noun
    a drain or channel crossing under a road, sidewalk, etc.; sewer; conduit.

I had to look it up. In my head I've always referred to the maws as "hole" and "pipe hole". XD