Every game has numerous bugs, not matter how well optimized it is, and people experience them all the time. However, when most users report bugs, it tends to be very vague, includes too much unnecessary information, and/or too little useful information. Using my experience as a beta tester for multiple games on PC and iOS, I've written this guide to try to help both the players and the developers. Just remember, small indie games often have human development teams, meaning you aren't going through an automated ticket system and wait 3 days to HOPEFULLY have a representative give you a non copy/pasted answer.
A good rule to remember when reporting bugs, or problems in general, is that the developers need your help in order to help you. This means, that you need describe your reports in a way that give the developers the most usable information.
Testing for mobile platforms is a little different from desktop platforms. Use your best judgement when deciding what to include. If you don't know a lot about a certain bug, searching for an answer first could help. If you can't find what you are looking for, please don't be afraid to report it. Just use as much information as you can. Even a little can go a long way! =)
• If there is an error, PLEASE give the error code or message, and even a screenshot of the pop-up.
• Describe the steps or events leading up to the bug or crash. This is one of the most important ways to figure out the origin of a bug.
• Include screenshots as much as you can. A picture is worth a thousand words. (don't overdo it, though)
• Try to reproduce the situation as much as you can. If it seems random, or not easily reproduced, wait until it happens a second time to get a better understanding.
• Crashes are considered Game-Breaking bugs that are extremely high priority. Please describe these events with as much information as possible
• Include any programs running in the background, if applicable.
• Include any system specifications such as device model, OS type and build version (Win1, iOS8.1, OSX:MountainLion, etc), System RAM (if applicable), GPU (if applicable), etc.
• Personal tangents are not required, and can distort bug reports. Please include the most useful information first, and proceed to detail anything unrelated subsequently thereafter.
• Please include a follow-up if the developers say they may have fixed the bug. They want to get rid of these bugs as much as you, and really enjoy having a solid answer from players if it has been fixed or not.
• It shouldn't have to be said, but if developers ask questions, answer ALL of them to the best of your ability.
Again, if you only have a little information, please try to report it to the best of your ability. It's much better to be safe than sorry, and other players may be able to fill in details if they have the same problem as you. There have been many cases where specific bugs have been squashed because people have offered different sides to the situation, even if only a small amount of detail is present.
If there is anything I missed and need to add, please comment. I can edit this for one month after it's posted.