Incentive to explore the skies

Dog_man77Dog_man77 Canada. But where in Canada? Depends... who are you?Member Posts: 1,302
edited September 2016 in Feedback and Game Ideas
So as I'm sure many of you have realized, when looking for unexplored worlds, you'll think you have a good one, only to discover that your "50%" explored world is actually mostly unexplored sky. Ask yourselves then, how do we solve this? At the moment there is no incentive (with the exception of knowing you made that world more explored) for the immensely boring task of flying around to clear the skies. I understand that if the same amount of XP was given to explore the skies as is given for exploring underground that the system would be greatly abused (people getting high ranks by doing basically nothing). The thing is that by taking the time to explore the skies though, often you sacrifice the ability to obtain any desirable items. So here's how I think we should solve this:

1. Airships: airships would be floating airship wrecks (lore: they never fell after the apocalypse and would've drifted aimlessly for a long time.) There could be some crashed on the ground too. Mostly they would've been escape types (people trying to escape the brains by going up and moving away instead of going underground), Warship types, transports, Sky pirates (maybe), Air-liners, etc.
Some would have chests etc, some might be more dungeon-ish and have been taken over by brains, maybe about 5-10 per world depending on size.

2. The other idea is to award 1xp per area of sky explored, this reduces the ability to abuse it and get levels fast, but provides enough incentive for people to actually clear out the skies a bit.

3. Aviator achievement: similar to explorer ahievement, given for exploring "X" many areas in the sky.

4. In The Moon's Eye achievement: (low level achievement, reference to what is commonly accepted as the first sci-fi film) achieved like the Spelunker achievement, but for reaching the top of the world, would grant very little XP, as this is not a very hard or time consuming endeavor.

Edit: Grammar and clarity
Edit2: More grammar, clarity and formatting.

Post edited by Dog_man77 on

Comments

• Dog_man77Dog_man77 Canada. But where in Canada? Depends... who are you?Member Posts: 1,302
    I believe there is an "airships" idea on the codex and that is what sparked the rest of these ideas and elaborations, so to give credit where credit is due, thank you to whoever that was.
  • GlobeGlobe Eating Lisa's brainMember Posts: 1,227
    Ooh, I like this idea
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai ノーゲーム ノーライフ 〇Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,450
    I just wish exploring the skies counted toward Order of the Crow like it used to. I don't care if I get xp from doing it not.
  • RomyrjohnandreiRomyrjohnandrei I like to smell your hair while i watch you sleep in your bed from behind your closet....Member Posts: 1,327
    Iyasumi said:

I just wish exploring the skies counted toward Order of the Crow like it used to. I don't care if I get xp from doing it not.

True, i'm having a hard time getting to 5,000 explored areas since I dont own a private world.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 939
    I find androids when I fly in the skies.
  • NinjaWarriorNinjaWarrior TeufortMember Posts: 3,290
    Needs the warp star in the sky.
  • ChickenChicken Ignoring the 10-year-old couple llmmzz and derpdeeMember Posts: 944

Iyasumi said:

True, i'm having a hard time getting to 5,000 explored areas since I dont own a private world.
    If you think 5,000 areas is hard, try 80,000! (onyx crow) It took me forever to get that many areas, since areas are usually the last thing I need to complete a crow. If you're having a hard time getting areas, try going into unexplored worlds and mining around there for a while. You get areas pretty quickly.

Also, I like this idea. Exploring the sky is so boring, and this could make it a little more fun and rewarding. I just wish there was a way to make exploring the sky quicker. Flying up and down along the entire upper part of the world takes a very long time, especially in XL worlds. Maybe there should be a way to, I don't know, ride the airships we find? We need something similar to that, something that will help speed up the sky exploration.
  • Dog_man77Dog_man77 Canada. But where in Canada? Depends... who are you?Member Posts: 1,302

Iyasumi said:

True. However to avoid game dealing, it might be more appealing to the devs if each sky area counted as 0.5 of an area in that sense?

Perhaps there could be a building competition in which people build designs for the airships/ crashed airships (though I understand crashed airships was already a thing in a comp) that would actually be used in the game? Or at least as the base concept?

Either way, though this shouldn't be he devs top priorities, I'll tag them (and Lisa) here in the hopes that maybe they'll consider the idea for later updates: @mikelaurence @jsonperl @lisa