The Shovel Project

SpongeeeSpongeee Member Posts: 18
edited October 2016 in Collaborations
Hello, I am Spongeee and this post is very important to the future of Deepworld.
As some of you who play Deepworld regularly might know of a big project I'm doing. I am trying to craft/collect 100 thousand shovels. "Why would you do that?" you might ask, even though shovels are useless after you get one, it doesn't change the fact that there is one use to this many shovels which I will get to right now. This project is huge and is very important to the future of Deepworld in many different ways. First of all if you are in this project you will be the part all the 100 thousand shovels, this unites the Deepworld community, it shows that this game is for everyone no matter how small you would be but you're the part of the bigger picture, this project symbolizes the unity that is the Deepworld Community. Secondly, this project will show that we, the Deepworld Community, can work up to amazing things, no matter how stupid they are. And this project is pretty stupid to be honest, however we as a community have done more idiotic things that this, and some good things. This project will show that our community can work together to accomplish great things. Lastly, there is a little secret the developers have. The developers of this game hate shovels, it's their greatest weakness. With 100 thousand shovels we will motivate the developers to listen to us, we are a community, we want our say in the development. Want proof? Well ocean biomes, multiple item trading, those 2 things are the things people have been waiting for years. Well the developers might say "We don't have enough time to develop these concepts and it would be too hard." Well why can't we help out? We can have our amazing builders build new dungeons and think of new blocks, we have lots of talented artists who could draw our ideas. There is a lot of ways to work with this, but first we need to show how hard we want it. Well, how do we show how hard we want these things and to show that the community should have a say in the development of the game? Craft 100 thousand shovels of course! In the end this project is very important so you want to know how to be a part of this amazing project? You can donate wood or iron ore to Spongeee to in turn craft shovels. If you do not trust me, craft them on your own, if you want to donate in numbers less than a thousand, donate them to FedoraFred who will be rarely online so it's better to donate in thousands to Spongeee. Why in thousands? Because I own more than 10 thousand shovels already, and cannot see individual shovels only thousands. Well, what are you waiting for? Are you ready to change Deepworld for the better and fund a really dumb project? Well what are you waiting for, go get crafting!
P.S. Donate at Times Square, mostly online after 3-4 P.M. (Miami/ New York City), upon reaching 100 thousand there will be a giant party for everyone to attended, time is going to be planned and posted here.
Post edited by Spongeee on

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Eating food at yo house Member Posts: 26
    Good luck spongeee! :wink:
  • LittyKittyLittyKitty =^+.+^=Member Posts: 1,165
    Spongeee said:

...With 100 thousand shovels we will motivate the developers to listen to us, we are a community, we want out say in the development...

When you said this, I thought of an angry mob rioting with shovels instead of pitchforks!
  • SpongeeeSpongeee Member Posts: 18

Spongeee said:

...With 100 thousand shovels we will motivate the developers to listen to us, we are a community, we want out say in the development...

When you said this, I thought of an angry mob rioting with shovels instead of pitchforks!
    Yeah that is what going to happen, 100% sure about that.

• FreshXFreshX Grammar Checkin' Yo AssMember Posts: 1,328
    I definetly want to join! I agree with @Spongeee that we have had great ideas but we never do them. I think it is time to have greater ideas heard!
  • Tannerman14Tannerman14 OblivionMember Posts: 2,215
    I will help, give me some time to collect resources, I will give shovels to the thousands!!!!!

COLLECT ALL THE SHOVELS!!! (insert meme)
    Like there are so many things the developers can do to give power to the community, steam workshop for example, more contests, letting players vote for updates, community updates, we want power to the players, not the developers. The developers can do whatever they want, but even in war there are unofficial laws and everybody follows them, would be nice if the developers stopped hoarding all of the power and not letting the community decide the future of the game even though the community is the heart of this game, not the engine or the gameplay. Let's be honest, if you play Deepworld do you just play to mine, craft and level up, or do you play to talk to other players and to friends and foes? Because for example you can look at some other games with similar gameplay but do they have a strong and an orginized community? Nope! We have a great community, but mediocre indie developers.
  • Pr0m4NV14Pr0m4NV14 Hill Valley, 2015. You should see Jaws 19. The shark still looks fake.Member Posts: 891
    Thank god it's not 100 thousand onyx shovels.
    Pr0m4NV14 said:

Thank god it's not 100 thousand onyx shovels.

I'm sure that getting 10 onyx shovels or 100 diamond is just as hard

• Tannerman14Tannerman14 OblivionMember Posts: 2,215
    Spongeee said:

We have a great community, but mediocre indie developers.

This comment really upsets me.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have a huge respect for the developers of this game, knowing what it takes to put something like this together just adds to the amount of respect I have. Being an (aspiring) indie developer myself, I know inside and out what it takes to pull this off. Deepworld has a team of what? Two or three programmers? Just maintaining a game like this with that few people is an incredible feat. So ya support the cummunity all day long, I do too, but DO NOT get on here and bash the devs like this. If I was older and I had money, I would donate to these guys in a heartbeat. These guys are the dream: develop a game, release it, get a huge response to which they have built a great community. It's hard to do for big name companies sometimes, let alone indies!

At this point I'm not sure I can support this cause, I can't support someone who wants to take all the power away from the devs, while bashing them in the process. Grrrr I'm so angry right now!!!

Rant over!
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,692
    @Sirentist A fellow disciple of the shovel
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    >"very important to the future of Deepworld"

> "this unites the Deepworld community"

> "The developers of this game hate shovels, it's their greatest weakness"

1. Who are you?

2. This in no way "unites" the Deepworld community in any way nor is it as "important" as you say it is. Its just a waste of resources and time.

3. Why would the devs hate something they coded into the game, especially something as insignificant as a shovel. Do they hate it because you're doing something pointless with it?
    Okay everyone, I see some of you are upset over me calling the developers moderate. And I do understand that they worked hard, that they still work for the game a lot and they can't put all of their time into the game. The mediocre part comes in their management of the community and the game. Like I said they do not let the community do lots of things which we could have done, and we love this game and we could have done thing to help out. Do the developers let us help them out? Rarely. This project is symbolic, to show that our community can get organized and overcome challenges to greater things. The developers are amazing people, just a little bit inexperienced. That is all I wanted to say but It appears some of you took it in wrong context. I never said they suck, they are amazing people, just inexperienced in managing a game's community, that's it.

Spongeee said:

At this point I'm not sure I can support this cause, I can't support someone who wants to take all the power away from the devs, while bashing them in the process. Grrrr I'm so angry right now!!!
    I never said we are taking away their power, we are going to help them out developing the game. The only way you can help right now is money, if the project succeeds then maybe the developers will allows us to help in other ways as well. We aren't taking the power, we are only going to help the developers.
    Sirentist said:

Oh, I just read the stuff about the developers. I guess I was blinded by the joy of amassing 100k shovels. I think the devs are great. So I don't support the part about how they suck or whatever. I do still support the idea of collecting bazillions of shovels though. So any contributions I make will be towards that, and not towards the "let's send these mediocre devs a message" horse crap.

It doesn't matter that we are sending the developers a message, it matters what the message is, which is that we want to help them out.

1. Who are you?

2. This in no way "unites" the Deepworld community in any way nor is it as "important" as you say it is. Its just a waste of resources and time.

3. Why would the devs hate something they coded into the game, especially something as insignificant as a shovel. Do they hate it because you're doing something pointless with it?

1. Read the first sentence or look at my profile name.
    2. It's called symbolism, look it up.
    3. It's called satire, look it up.
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    Spongeee said:

Okay everyone, I see some of you are upset over me calling the developers moderate. And I do understand that they worked hard, that they still work for the game a lot and they can't put all of their time into the game. The mediocre part comes in their management of the community and the game. Like I said they do not let the community do lots of things which we could have done, and we love this game and we could have done thing to help out. Do the developers let us help them out? Rarely. This project is symbolic, to show that our community can get organized and overcome challenges to greater things. The developers are amazing people, just a little bit inexperienced. That is all I wanted to say but It appears some of you took it in wrong context. I never said they suck, they are amazing people, just inexperienced in managing a game's community, that's it.

Spongeee said:

I never said we are taking away their power, we are going to help them out developing the game. The only way you can help right now is money, if the project succeeds then maybe the developers will allows us to help in other ways as well. We aren't taking the power, we are only going to help the developers.
    Sirentist said:

Oh, I just read the stuff about the developers. I guess I was blinded by the joy of amassing 100k shovels. I think the devs are great. So I don't support the part about how they suck or whatever. I do still support the idea of collecting bazillions of shovels though. So any contributions I make will be towards that, and not towards the "let's send these mediocre devs a message" horse crap.

It doesn't matter that we are sending the developers a message, it matters what the message is, which is that we want to help them out.

1. Who are you?

1. Read the first sentence or look at my profile name.
    2. It's called symbolism, look it up.
    3. It's called satire, look it up.
    So, you're telling me that by gathering an inordinate amount of shovels, its actively mocking the Devs for not doing something and presumably calling any of their previous work inadequate. What a charming idea!

Also, how is collecting a common tool considered a "way to get the community organized and achieve great things"? If you want to organize the community, do a world project.

So, you're telling me that by gathering an inordinate amount of shovels, its actively mocking the Devs for not doing something and presumably calling any of their previous work inadequate. What a charming idea!

Also, how is collecting a common tool considered a "way to get the community organized and achieve great things"? If you want to organize the community, do a world project.
    Getting the 100 thousand shovels is not to mock them, it's to show them that we are a community, because well anyone can build a world, but no one can craft 100 thousand shovels alone. That is why it's better than just building a world, anyone can build any world and there is limited space too, so not the whole community can be in it. On the other hand anyone can donate at least 1 shovel, and therefor be a part of the bigger picture. And this is not about the past, it's about the future. There is a small team of developers, they have done an amazing job making this game. But they stopped, there is now less new content being made. That is why this symbol of a community (100 thousand shovels) is needed, to show that we want change badly. If you don't want new content, ocean biomes, steam workshop, we'll just let the people who want to help the game get better, by crafting shovels. It is going to take so much resources to craft these shovels, that is why it'll show the developers our urge for a change, peacefully. Because who doesn't want to help develop the game? And by not allowing the community to help, the developers are digging their own grave. They are turning down so many possibilities by not hosting more events and putting in our ideas. Heck some of us can even create sprites if needed. There are so many discussions about ideas, and not many made it into the game. Hopefully the 100 thousand shovels will show the developers that we are a community and want change. And that we want to have a say in the future of Deepworld. We know better, we play it. The developers made it, but they play rarely. So maybe we know better would benefit the game.
  • vin_venturevin_venture Minion Training Facility 274Member Posts: 1,186
    I'm curious why you are not collecting something that can placed to admire. All those shovels will be just a number in your inventory. Meh.
    edited October 2016

I'm curious why you are not collecting something that can placed to admire. All those shovels will be just a number in your inventory. Meh.

Well no one is going to clean out multiple worlds to place 100 thousand toilets, and like I said shovels are the weakness of the developers. It's like salt to a slug, deadly.
  • ChickenChicken Ignoring the 10-year-old couple llmmzz and derpdeeMember Posts: 926
    edited October 2016
    Spongeee said:

Well no one is going to clean out multiple worlds to place 100 thousand toilets, and like I said shovels are the weakness of the developers. It's like salt to a slug, deadly.
    But....I already have thousands of toilets. :cold_sweat:

Also (to keep this on topic) good luck with the project. Although I agree it should be something place able to make your achievement noticeable by others, it's going to be hard and worth it. :)
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,483
    Did someone say thousands of toilets?

-ears perk up-
  • RedolantRedolant 40 Characters Isn't Enough Cuz I Live In LlanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogochMember Posts: 155
    I got 1337 muskets, a very small milestone for me compared to what you're shooting for..
    Redolant said:

I got 1337 muskets, a very small milestone for me compared to what you're shooting for..

I have 1234 Pickaxes, 200 muskets, 1000 pistols, 100 skeleton keys, 100 widgets and 100 sproakets.
  • ChickenChicken Ignoring the 10-year-old couple llmmzz and derpdeeMember Posts: 926
    Spongeee said:

Redolant said:

I have 1234 Pickaxes, 200 muskets, 1000 pistols, 100 skeleton keys, 100 widgets and 100 sproakets.
    I am confused on why you would need these things, but congrats! That's a big achievement, for a farmer.
    Also you left out your precious shovels. It would be nice to have an update every once in a while about how many you have. :)
  • vin_venturevin_venture Minion Training Facility 274Member Posts: 1,186
    Spongeee said:

I recall a number of projects for which people got together and cleared out worlds. There's community coming together. Good times. But hey, if your heart is set on shovels, go for it.
  • DeathoniumDeathonium Member Posts: 56
    I can lend u my land to advertise
  • CleoAdkins007CleoAdkins007 Land of OzMember Posts: 1,112
    Uhh... what? I see no way in which this project will help Deepworld whatsoever. It's literally just a lot of people making shovels and giving them to you, or giving you materials to make shovels. It may unite people (not sure whether it's the best way to go about it, but okay), however it won't make ocean biomes happen. I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but they've been scrapped due to issues with lag and other problems. I'm sure there's a thread explaining why it isn't going to happen. Also, in regards to multiple-trading, collecting shovels will not make it happen faster. Buying crowns to support the devs and letting them do their work will. Maybe they aren't working as fast as you would like them to, but they're doing the best they can with their limited resources.

I am by no means saying that you should stop trying to make/collect as many shovels as possible, but this feels more like a sly, lazy attempt to persuade people to give you shovels, for attention, to be on the list of "people who have lots of a particular item" (I know that's not the name but I'm too fired up to do research :joy:) or both, who knows.

Spongeee said:

I recall a number of projects for which people got together and cleared out worlds. There's community coming together. Good times. But hey, if your heart is set on shovels, go for it.
    Well okay I guess we can make a XL toilet world, only toilets on a marble backdrop, and a it of space for the spawn portal.

Uhh... what? I see no way in which this project will help Deepworld whatsoever. It's literally just a lot of people making shovels and giving them to you, or giving you materials to make shovels. It may unite people (not sure whether it's the best way to go about it, but okay), however it won't make ocean biomes happen. I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but they've been scrapped due to issues with lag and other problems. I'm sure there's a thread explaining why it isn't going to happen. Also, in regards to multiple-trading, collecting shovels will not make it happen faster. Buying crowns to support the devs and letting them do their work will. Maybe they aren't working as fast as you would like them to, but they're doing the best they can with their limited resources.

I am by no means saying that you should stop trying to make/collect as many shovels as possible, but this feels more like a sly, lazy attempt to persuade people to give you shovels, for attention, to be on the list of "people who have lots of a particular item" (I know that's not the name but I'm too fired up to do research :joy:) or both, who knows.

The ocean world and the multiple item trading are examples, the whole goal is to be able to help them in other ways other than financially. How will just 100 thousand shovels help? Well like I said many times in other comments, symbolism. Crafting 100 thousand shovels will show how much we want to help out. And it's a good thing that it's an item you can't place, these shovels will be passed on from me to others when I quit. Deepworld has generations of people coming and going. A world would be forgotten but these shovels will be passed on from older players to newer so the legacy of the 100 thousand shovels won't be forgotten.

• CleoAdkins007CleoAdkins007 Land of OzMember Posts: 1,112
    Spongeee said:

The ocean world and the multiple item trading are examples, the whole goal is to be able to help them in other ways other than financially. How will just 100 thousand shovels help? Well like I said many times in other comments, symbolism. Crafting 100 thousand shovels will show how much we want to help out. And it's a good thing that it's an item you can't place, these shovels will be passed on from me to others when I quit. Deepworld has generations of people coming and going. A world would be forgotten but these shovels will be passed on from older players to newer so the legacy of the 100 thousand shovels won't be forgotten.

You know what else will show them how much we want to help? By telling them! Volunteering to help out might work, making/collecting a ton of virtual tools will not. Symbolism won't update the game.

Spongeee said:

You know what else will show them how much we want to help? By telling them! Volunteering to help out might work, making/collecting a ton of virtual tools will not. Symbolism won't update the game.
    I am 99% sure the developers saw this post, yes we could just tell them. Go ahead and I holding anyone back? Well why is no one demanding being able to help out the developers more? I'll be the one to tell, with the 100 thousand shovels as my proof that players want to be able to help out. Got a better idea? Go ahead execute it, no one is going to stop you.
    Yay we hit 20 thousand shovels