Crack the Code #1: Win onyx!

ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
Welcome to the first Crack the Code.
In this event you will have to crack the code I am about to give.
It's hard. Don't expect to decode it. Ever.
That is why I will release hints over time.
Winner will receive 1 onyx, but you're probably not skilled enough to crack it.

Here is the code. Good luck
VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV
«13

Comments

  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    [Science] *Bypass code*
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731

    [Science] *Bypass code*

    Access denied!
  • -CRYSTAL-KING--CRYSTAL-KING- I quitMember Posts: 1,161
    Is it VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV?
  • TealHyenaTealHyena Hallucination Peak Mob FarmMember Posts: 435
    220723222207062222060723220723232207222222060723220722062207062222060723220722072207222222060723220722232207222222060723220722062207062222060723220722072207222
  • TealHyenaTealHyena Hallucination Peak Mob FarmMember Posts: 435
    or maybe : m;}m;ӭm:ӽm;}m;mm:ӽm;m:m;ӭm:ӽm;m;m;mm:ӽm;mm;mm:ӽm;m:m;ӭm:ӽm;m;m;m
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    edited December 2016
    Hmmm, due to the fact there are only 4 different characters, then I'm going to assume that you're using a combination of FGVW to represent a character.

    The entire message is 80 characters long, so the length of the groupings to make a character must be of length
    1
    2
    4
    8
    10
    16
    20
    40
    long.

    @ItzDennisz you code, so I'd assume any code you make would minimize redundancy.
    With 4 different letters, and n characters:
    n combos
    1 4
    2 16
    4 256

    Anything further than this is grossly redundant, therefore I'd assume you work with groups of 2 or 4 characters.

    Am I on the right track?

    Also is this code multilayered? Like after you solve the inital code the answer is ceaser shifted or encoded with a vigenere cipher or something evil like that?
    Post edited by Everywhen on
  • FreshXFreshX Grammar Checkin' Yo AssMember Posts: 1,335
    Is it an S.O.S code? If so, it must be about WWI! I did it. Yay. I'm special...
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    huh. It's not a translated DNA code either.
    Tried substituting letters in so that the first three letters were ATG (Methionine initiator), then changed F to C for Cytosine then translated the resulting DNA to a protein, which gave (unfortunately)
    MNQLMDKLIH QLIYKLIDKL IHQLIY

    Bums
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    I lack willpower.

    Ran the code through some software I wrote one time when I was bored.
    Tried converting it into "words" of 2, 3, and 4 letters long then translating those to alphabetical equivalents.

    Got nonsense most times with repeats of many letters.
  • Pr0m4NV14Pr0m4NV14 Hill Valley, 2015. You should see Jaws 19. The shark still looks fake.Member Posts: 891
    Hmm, maybe a cipher of sorts?
    Possibly a Bill Cypher?
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    Everywhen said:

    I lack willpower.

    Ran the code through some software I wrote one time when I was bored.
    Tried converting it into "words" of 2, 3, and 4 letters long then translating those to alphabetical equivalents.

    Got nonsense most times with repeats of many letters.

    I've also tried adding and subtracting the numerical values of the characters (1-26) and even ran the results through a hexadecimal to ASCII converter. (only because you mentioned he was a coder)

    if fact, I think your inference that being a coder would make it less complex seems largely incorrect. personally, I'd make things as complex as possible while retaining solvability to slightly more observant humans.
  • bean17magicbean17magic Earth. COME AT ME ALIENS!Member Posts: 283
    VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV

    V is 23rd on the keyboard, G is 15th on the keyboard, W is 2nd on the key bord, F is 14th on the keyboard.
    Maybe 231522323151423231415231522231523232314152231523142315142323141522315231523152323231415223152322315232323141515231523142315142323141522315231523152323
    Idk
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034

    VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV

    V is 23rd on the keyboard, G is 15th on the keyboard, W is 2nd on the key bord, F is 14th on the keyboard.
    Maybe 231522323151423231415231522231523232314152231523142315142323141522315231523152323231415223152322315232323141515231523142315142323141522315231523152323
    Idk

    That's a QWERTY keyboard, and other places use unique arrangements like AZERTY .
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    p1nkbr0 said:

    Everywhen said:

    I lack willpower.

    Ran the code through some software I wrote one time when I was bored.
    Tried converting it into "words" of 2, 3, and 4 letters long then translating those to alphabetical equivalents.

    Got nonsense most times with repeats of many letters.

    I've also tried adding and subtracting the numerical values of the characters (1-26) and even ran the results through a hexadecimal to ASCII converter. (only because you mentioned he was a coder)

    if fact, I think your inference that being a coder would make it less complex seems largely incorrect. personally, I'd make things as complex as possible while retaining solvability to slightly more observant humans.
    Fair enough :)

    my strategy would be a multilayer code, but that would be too cruel.
  • Steve777Steve777 Jumping through time. 1 s/second.Member Posts: 1,233
    WOV V WOWNWONWWNOV WOWV WOWOWOWW
    ?
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    Everywhen said:

    p1nkbr0 said:

    Everywhen said:

    I lack willpower.

    Ran the code through some software I wrote one time when I was bored.
    Tried converting it into "words" of 2, 3, and 4 letters long then translating those to alphabetical equivalents.

    Got nonsense most times with repeats of many letters.

    I've also tried adding and subtracting the numerical values of the characters (1-26) and even ran the results through a hexadecimal to ASCII converter. (only because you mentioned he was a coder)

    if fact, I think your inference that being a coder would make it less complex seems largely incorrect. personally, I'd make things as complex as possible while retaining solvability to slightly more observant humans.
    Fair enough :)

    my strategy would be a multilayer code, but that would be too cruel.
    well if you can figure out one part, you might be able to figure out the rest. However, we're still at square 0.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    It's not a binary string either as far as I can tell either
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695
    edited December 2016
    @ItzDennisz totally out there, but is the solution "Bright Idea"

    Got desperate. Converted letters to numbers.
    Summed them.

    1264 was solution.

    Looked at DW's item codes.
    1264 is a clothing item called "Bright Idea"
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    Everywhen said:

    @ItzDennisz totally out there, but is the solution "Bright Idea"

    Got desperate. Converted letters to numbers.
    Summed them.

    1264 was solution.

    Looked at DW's item codes.
    1264 is a clothing item called "Bright Idea"

    It would make sense.
  • Bastian7Bastian7 Between WorldsMember Posts: 266
    I love puzzles but there's no way I'm going to learn coding for an onyx.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    Not to be confused, the code has nothing to do with programming. It's only an encrypted piece of text. Also, nobody is even close, so the first hint will be given soon.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    There are only 4 different characers in this code, as @Everywhen said.

    The key to your solution..

    11
    12
    22
    21

    2 different numbers...
    Sounds similair, but the 2 is not familair...
    The 2 is merely a mask for a number that holds the key to success...
    But don't rush, as there is something you must do first...

    Sorry for the vague hint.. I am at school rn and I don't have the decryption notes so I can't give clear hints as I don't know the exact order ok good luck
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    Everywhen said:

    Hmmm, due to the fact there are only 4 different characters, then I'm going to assume that you're using a combination of FGVW to represent a character.

    The entire message is 80 characters long, so the length of the groupings to make a character must be of length
    1
    2
    4
    8
    10
    16
    20
    40
    long.

    @ItzDennisz you code, so I'd assume any code you make would minimize redundancy.
    With 4 different letters, and n characters:
    n combos
    1 4
    2 16
    4 256

    Anything further than this is grossly redundant, therefore I'd assume you work with groups of 2 or 4 characters.

    Am I on the right track?

    Also is this code multilayered? Like after you solve the inital code the answer is ceaser shifted or encoded with a vigenere cipher or something evil like that?

    The code is indeed multilayered.
    Sorry for double postig but editing on a phone is a real pain to do.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,695

    There are only 4 different characers in this code, as @Everywhen said.

    The key to your solution..

    11
    12
    22
    21

    2 different numbers...
    Sounds similair, but the 2 is not familair...
    The 2 is merely a mask for a number that holds the key to success...
    But don't rush, as there is something you must do first...

    Sorry for the vague hint.. I am at school rn and I don't have the decryption notes so I can't give clear hints as I don't know the exact order ok good luck

    Hmm this seems very similar to binary.
    I tried subtracting 1 from the [12] numbers but that just left me with a binary that gave no meaningful response - used all different permutations of (f,g,v,w) = (1,2,3,4)
    image
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    edited December 2016
    Everywhen said:

    There are only 4 different characers in this code, as @Everywhen said.

    The key to your solution..

    11
    12
    22
    21

    2 different numbers...
    Sounds similair, but the 2 is not familair...
    The 2 is merely a mask for a number that holds the key to success...
    But don't rush, as there is something you must do first...

    Sorry for the vague hint.. I am at school rn and I don't have the decryption notes so I can't give clear hints as I don't know the exact order ok good luck

    Hmm this seems very similar to binary.
    I tried subtracting 1 from the [12] numbers but that just left me with a binary that gave no meaningful response - used all different permutations of (f,g,v,w) = (1,2,3,4)
    image
    11
    12
    22
    21

    4 different numbers, but 2 different numbers.
    Does that make sense? Probably not.
    The 11, 12, 22 and 21 are the 4 different numbers, and the 1 and 2 in those numbers are the 2 different numbers.
    So, 4 different numbers and 4 different letters.. (F, V, G, and W) Maybe it has to do something with each other? Who knows..
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    edited December 2016
    +---------------------------------------------+
    Official Hint:

    To make the first step, A must become Z...
    +---------------------------------------------+

    (Applies to: VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV)
  • Tannerman14Tannerman14 OblivionMember Posts: 2,215

    +---------------------------------------------+
    Official Hint:

    To make the first step, A must become Z...
    +---------------------------------------------+

    (Applies to: VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV)

    Ok, so every letter gets changes to its opposite.

    V changes to E

    G changes to S

    W changes to D

    F changes to T

    Maybe?
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731

    +---------------------------------------------+
    Official Hint:

    To make the first step, A must become Z...
    +---------------------------------------------+

    (Applies to: VGWVVGFVVFGWVGWWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVVVFGWVGVWVGVVVFGWVGVFVGFVVFGWVGVGVGVV)

    Ok, so every letter gets changes to its opposite.

    V changes to E

    G changes to S

    W changes to D

    F changes to T

    Maybe?
    Very close..
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,731
    edited December 2016
    Well, I get what you mean @Tannerman14.
    The first decryption step is ATBASH.

    Decr. stp. 2:
    +---------------------------------------------+
    Official Hint:

    ''The amount of times the machine must be operated must be equal to the amount of actions it performs during an operation'', Caesar said to his son.
    +---------------------------------------------+
Sign In or Register to comment.