Engineering Design advice

EverywhenEverywhen pressing the comment button makes all comments on activity disappear - debator 2k17Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,650
edited February 10 in Collaborations

A tileable output array design I'm working on compacting for a build. Trying to overcome circuit size vs sphere of influence restrictions.

Mob: terrapus racer
Purpose: Generates a series of outputs. In my case, I'll only be triggering a single cell (one of the 2 button outputs from column A) to send two outputs.

Pros: compact design to minimise spawner usage.
Mobs can trigger multiple touchplates as seen in column A vs column B.
Mobs can trigger more than one column (blue and black paths)
System is controllable from afar by fancy switches to open X number of trapdoors.
Small trapdoors can also be used and are more resource efficient as mobs can cross the 1 block gap, but large look nicer.

Cons: Resource heavy
Far away touchplates take a long time to activate.

Final version will be 7 8x8 button arrays, totalling 448 trapdoors and 896 touchplates (using the two touchplate system from column A).
7 spawners (1/array)
Stone blocks (I have oodles)

Sometimes I wish Deepworld did have 3 dimensions to build in haha. It would make this a lot more compact as I could stack the 7 arrays on top of each other.

Any feedback on ways to shrink the circuit further would be appreciated. I'm being quite vague in descriptions, but I want the final product to be a surprise.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Member Posts: 67
    This may be a dumb question but what does it do? From what I understand it activates multiple touch plates? I could be entirely wrong but I don't exactly understand what this achieves
  • EverywhenEverywhen pressing the comment button makes all comments on activity disappear - debator 2k17Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,650

This may be a dumb question but what does it do? From what I understand it activates multiple touch plates? I could be entirely wrong but I don't exactly understand what this achieves

So you know how signs can be activated from touchplates right?
    I have a grid of 8x8 with 2 signs in each square, so 128 signs.
    In order to be able to change the display on each sign between a variety of values from a central point, you need to have some type of terrapus system to activate the touchplates for you.
    The issue is, mobs are only active in a roughly 50 block radius from a player. So any designs involving terrapus need to be as small as possible. This is the most efficient way I've found so far for being able to selectively activate touchplates. I want to know if anyone can think of a way to shrink the size further.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai ノーゲーム ノーライフ 〇Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,441
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 2,830
    I'm good with mechanics, just give me a sec...

Well, at the touch plates on the right side, you can add touch plates one block right of them and it would add more touch plate possibilities, won't really shrink the size, but it would add more touch plates.
  • JakeTheTomJakeTheTom Member Posts: 720
    edited February 12
    I gona look in it :D
    Is there any working prototype? Im not good in enghlish i need some visual input :smiley:
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Arbiter Posts: 8,365
    I don't understand the need for the second column of touchplates. It looks like terrapus activates one sign, then activates a touchplate that opens a door for it to consistently activate a second sign. Is there a reason you didn't want to just put the two sign touchplates side by side? Did you want a time lag or something?
  • EverywhenEverywhen pressing the comment button makes all comments on activity disappear - debator 2k17Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,650

I gona look in it :D
    Is there any working prototype? Im not good in enghlish i need some visual input :smiley:

Soon :)
    Sirentist said:

I don't understand the need for the second column of touchplates. It looks like terrapus activates one sign, then activates a touchplate that opens a door for it to consistently activate a second sign. Is there a reason you didn't want to just put the two sign touchplates side by side? Did you want a time lag or something?

Column two was an example for the scalability. I have 128 buttons, so I'm "squishing" them into a 8x8 grid with double touchplates like in the first column. However, I only ever want to select one square of the "grid" which is why I direct the mob back to the top again.
  • JakeTheTomJakeTheTom Member Posts: 720
    Ah but i dont get it what is going to do how its works ,sadly this is the only way how i can make a circuit smallar.
    But i have some stuffs if you wana see it maybe you can use it or get a better idea
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 2,830
    Yes... I too would like to see a working prototype, I've done a lot of mechanical craziness and I would like to help you... only if I can see it player-to-prototype