Opinion to Why Deepworld is Dying

Hydroblade29Hydroblade29 I identify myself as a U.S. Navy Black Cat.Member Posts: 1,741
edited March 5 in General
What's your opinion on why it's dying?

Opinion to Why Deepworld is Dying 72 votes

Lack of Updates
18%
awesomeo13GrebebeZacywackoBloonsminevmh20RomyrjohnandreiGlobeTealHyenaElectroxLexibean17magicThragtuskDebator 13 votes
Decreasing Community
8%
lxlyGRAPTIK_STORMXx_Waffles_xXNightTheKidDWAthenaRoseGold 6 votes
Scamming/Griefing
2%
CannotfindanameBrainGamer 2 votes
Boringness
1%
P4thos 1 vote
All of the Above!
51%
tjergozSpyrop1nkbr0EverywhenDracullilroller717JakeTDipadsikillforhatsMultarixVinh225Josiahzoom22Tannerman14PIPTR0AlphastormThe_MarauderFlynnXDJusticeGamingderpdeeChicken 37 votes
Deepworld is NOT Dying
18%
Cpt_FluffyBottomItzDenniszWilliam2FreshXGilbySweetenOrange15Bastian7IronManArcherYeongyulmofc1991Aviatrix_Brainstorm_Detech 13 votes

Comments

• _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 3,375
    Deepworld is NOT Dying
    The fact that most of Deepworld's population have school or work...
    Why is there no other option?

This is a lie, Deepworld is dying because people discovered that earth is dodecahedric.
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    Lack of Updates
    Including being rather boring.
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 559
    Lack of Updates
    This and its boring.

Its boring because of the lack of updates
    Lack of Updates
    RedMan said:

The fact that most of Deepworld's population have school or work...
    Why is there no other option?

This is a lie, Deepworld is dying because people discovered that earth is dodecahedric.

Well, isnt the whole world either working, or going to school? There are a lot of indie online games that have healthier communities than deepworld, and that includes crappy minecraft/GTA clones on mobile. Its not because most people have work or school. The population is dieing because the hunger for new content hasnt been fed for a longgggg time
  • Hydroblade29Hydroblade29 I identify myself as a U.S. Navy Black Cat.Member Posts: 1,741
    All of the Above!

The real reason that Deepworld died is because of its transformation from a niche and unique game into a more marketable and mainstream game.

The first step towards Deepworld's demise was the change of art from one that was extremely well-done, quirky and unique to one that is over-glossy, poorly drawn and frankly doesn't work well within the game.

After this came along features like "market worlds" and cosmetics and other things that really diluted the game and turned it into just another crappy game on the app-store.

I agree that the market world concept ruined part of the gameplay. That's how the once popular markets like North Market or Grand Bazaar died.
  • FreshXFreshX Grammar Checkin' Yo AssMember Posts: 1,328
    Deepworld is NOT Dying
    Deepworld isn't dying, you just can''t handle it.
  • Hydroblade29Hydroblade29 I identify myself as a U.S. Navy Black Cat.Member Posts: 1,741
    All of the Above!
    FreshX said:

I also know what I can't handle.
    FreshX - " can''t "
  • EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,692
    All of the Above!
    Dracul said:

The real reason that Deepworld died is because of its transformation from a niche and unique game into a more marketable and mainstream game.

The first step towards Deepworld's demise was the change of art from one that was extremely well-done, quirky and unique to one that is over-glossy, poorly drawn and frankly doesn't work well within the game.

After this came along features like "market worlds" and cosmetics and other things that really diluted the game and turned it into just another crappy game on the app-store.

This, tbh.

(btw welcome back...? I guess)

To sum it up it seems like Deepworld was a game wherein there was a core concept of what it was; which then got replaced for the sake of being more marketable. As a result, the loyal playerbase that always appreciated what it was initially became alienated; and the newer players that came barely resembled the original tightly knit community @ipads refers to. It could be argued that the switch to being more marketable lead to the community reflecting its lowest common denominator; but I'll stop here before people get on my ass for refusing to believe that Deepworld is alive and well (which, to be frank has about as much sense as a Republican saying that everything is fine in Washington right now.)
    I'm in Australia, but I can assure you, everything in Washington is absolutely fine. 100%. Bing.
    Therefore the forums must be in the same state right?

But I agree with you. Steam certainly increased the playerbase too, but a lot of the people who joined (the game, not the forums), were of rather interesting character
    All of the Above!
    Updates are the key to bringing some players back. That's because they wanted change with the mechanics and functionality of things. Sure the new blocks gave people some hype, but it died down very quickly. Something new has to come.

Waiting is okay for some time, but waiting for 3 1/2 years is just ridiculous. Sorry if I sound like a kid, we all do. There has to be a change somehow that players can be interested once again.
  • LittyKittyLittyKitty =^+.+^=Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 7

The real reason that Deepworld died is because of its transformation from a niche and unique game into a more marketable and mainstream game...

I really like the term "diluted." It seems like the things we once knew as rare or uncommon you could get for a penny nowawdays. Even the markets which used to be a neat little feature are open to anyone now. I think that one thing that keeps a game (particularly an MMO) going is demand. Although players might call for more of something, adding it would do the exact opposite of what you would expect by taking away the players' natural desire to play and become the best.

Edit: I also wanted to add that it only takes a few people to leave the game to have the rest of the crowd leave. When you take away the social aspect, that's where it really starts crashing down. From my personal experience, I stopped playing so often because my friends did. Their reason might be something really minor, but those "minor" factors do start to add up.
  • p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,034
    All of the Above!
    tl;dr

The art change, in of itself, wasn't bad but the directions taken throughout the change led to a dull, uninviting, immersion-breaking, and out-of-date game that didn't fit into a Steampunk, post-apocalyptic, or survival setting.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai ノーゲーム ノーライフ 〇Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,450
    At least the art stayed somewhat true to the original design and was modified from this concept art:image
  • ZacywackoZacywacko MemberMember Posts: 1,026
    edited March 8
    Lack of Updates
    ShiroNai said:

At least the art stayed somewhat true to the original design and was modified from this concept art:image

When I first saw this image years ago, I honestly thought it looked horrible. But if they implemented it now, I'd actually be pretty ok with it. My overall stance is quite simple to fix deepworld: MORE MECHANICS ARE A MUST! I've seen great ideas, like a smart build feature and various new biomes that would be awesome to have. Competitions also aren't enough to keep this game alive. WE NEED NEW CONTENT THAT ISN'T RARES!

• ElectroxElectrox North Sentinel IslandMember Posts: 688
    Lack of Updates
    Lack of update is the only reason
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Somewhere in the middle of lifeMember Posts: 1,116
    All of the Above!
    It was a attractive game two years ago, full of stuff to do and places to explore but over these years I've spent a ton of time doing those stuff and now I'm exhausted. I'm bored. It gets dull when there's no update for a while but on top of that, lot of the older community keeps fading more and more leaving practically no reason to continue playing. I'm in love with building mechanical objects in deepworld but there hasn't been an update brining newer items to work with and toy around for ages and now my interest for it has gone. Nothing left to do, except grind for a meaningless order of the crow and reminisce the golden days. I personally feel that android release would be awesome but not at the cost of losing players in other platforms that you've gathered over the years.
  • FreshXFreshX Grammar Checkin' Yo AssMember Posts: 1,328
    Deepworld is NOT Dying

FreshX said:

I also know what I can't handle.
    FreshX - " can''t "
    Damn, spelling error.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,707
    Deepworld is NOT Dying
    i would appreciate a collision detection fix.
  • BrainGamerBrainGamer CanadaMember Posts: 452
    Scamming/Griefing
    Wrong one LEL
  • Vinh225Vinh225 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The UniverseMember Posts: 262
    All of the Above!
    The lack of updates and new content is a big contributor to Deepworld's slow 'death'. Most people have other things to do, like me, and we can never find the time to play it. Sorry to say, but it is dying and it's inevitable.
    Also, I might still be playing if that one rotten member of the community had not ruined my experience and stolen everything. Yeah, that kinda stunk...
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 322
    Deepworld is NOT Dying
    i don't even know why people think it's dying.to me it's fine
    Lack of Updates
    Aviatrix said:

Alright listen, I am sick and tired of everyone whining about how 'bad' deepworld has become. And if you say I can't talk because I'm not experienced, I've played since the old texture pack, I've watched PRYMANCER and hugegnome assemble their first shops in times square and I remember being amazed when suddenly a new art style was introduced to the game. So now, let me explain my point of view: deepworld did use to have a more close community, a nicer one, at that, but just because new players have started joining up frequently really doesn't mean that people have to stay exclusive, if we just make an effort to understand and know one another, even the newer players, we can start to recreate that community, honestly, if you think about it, Deepworld isn't 'dying', on the contrary! It's flourishing! People join every minute! We just have to try to get to know them, that's the only way we'll be able to try and recreate such a close community.

Secondly, people seem to be constantly hating on the new texture pack, I mean sure, I liked the old one, but I think the new one is so vibrant! It's much more varied too, every block has a different design and the colours are much warmer and exciting! I think it's rather offensive to hammer down (Reinhardt, sorry, I had to) the devs for this new design, they probably worked their asses off creating it and I think it looks wonderful. You see, I play deepworld mostly because I have a huge love of pretty objects, so things like the Red fancy lamp, beaded lamp, blue fancy lamp, poison and turtle shell really appeal to me, I think they're very beautiful and I have actually built my own blue fancy lamp in real life from a few things I found around the house. So my goal in deepworld isn't to get super rich or find tonnes of onyx and I actually despise the Hunter head and notch (so ugly, holy crap).

And last, updates, ok seriously? why is this still an issue? Don't we all know how hard the devs have to work to make them? The amount of coding and designs and effort needed to frequently update the game is immense, and with that, on top of all the de-bugging they have to do, it's probably very difficult for them. Also, deepworld only has to be 'boring' if you let it be, we have so many materials to build with, we have so many things to collect, so many goals you can set for yourself to achieve, there really are many possibilities outside of the hunger for new competitions, new updates, make your own competition for whatever-is-out-there-ruling-over-us' sake.

So I know people will label me as an optimist or a suckup but actually, I'm just a realist with a bright point of view. So thank you, and goodbye, I'm going to be late for school now, damn it. :)

While I agree with you on the most part, the fact you like the new graphics doesnt mean I cant [EBL] on it. Neither does the fact that someone put effort into something make it good.
    I liked the old graphics, with how grim they were. The new graphics are too colorful for the serious steampunk apocalypse style the game has.
    The fact you like it, doesnt mean I should, and also doesnt mean I cant complain about it