Changeable Textures, and a place to share them?

SetenSeten The city of England.Member Posts: 351
Look, there's a lot of people like me who are butt-hurt about the new graphics.
It would be great to create and share textures via the community.
And I'm not talking changing the game for multiple people, but just for your own eyes.

I don't see why this isn't possible. Since there are already some people that have done this themselves on Deepworld.

This alone would encourage regular players to engage in the community and forums, and really make the game a lot more fun!

Comments

• SetenSeten The city of England.Member Posts: 351
    @mikelaurence @lisa perhaps you could bare this in mind?
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 3,149
    Last year, the exact same idea was proposed, and the problem was:
    The artist who made the old graphics has already left the team, and lots of new items don't have old graphics, so besides the fact that lots of items will need to be drawn with old graphics, which is impossible without Quinn, they also stated that having two texture packs in the same time for Deepworld will be very heavy and problematic and just won't work out, and also, there is the fact that not many people are asking for this, only about 2% of the current Deepworld population, perhaps.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 858
    I like the new graphics.
    edited May 31
    I'm not saying 'bring the old graphics back' necessarily. Just anything really, to download and to make your own textures.
  • DebatorDebator time out chairMember Posts: 516
    This is more a "skin" project with skins that are made by the community than bringing back the old graphics @RedMan
    I misread that
    It still would be very problematic for people to walk around in the same world all with different textures, that would completed break the game and make people unable to play from the lag.

RedMan said:

I misread that
    It still would be very problematic for people to walk around in the same world all with different textures, that would completed break the game and make people unable to play from the lag.

I don't think that's how textures work.
    Well, the devs said themselves that people walking around with different textures would be problematic and probably laggy, so I'm not making stuff up here and I think that's exactly how textures work.
    RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

Well, the devs said themselves that people walking around with different textures would be problematic and probably laggy, so I'm not making stuff up here and I think that's exactly how textures work.
    I dont think you remotely know how textures work

If you install a texture pack on minecraft, does that cause lag for other users? It doesnt
    Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

If you install a texture pack on minecraft, does that cause lag for other users? It doesnt
    Minecraft belongs to Microsoft, and I don't think you can compare the large servers that manage minecraft to Deepworld, does minecraft crash? Is Deepworld a massive 3D game like minecraft?

If you want to compare Deepworld, compare it to another indie mobile game, and once again, the developers themselves said that having more than one texture pack will be problematic, and if you don't believe me, you can just go ahead and ask them yourself
    edited May 31
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

Minecraft belongs to Microsoft, and I don't think you can compare the large servers that manage minecraft to Deepworld, does minecraft crash? Is Deepworld a massive 3D game like minecraft?

If you want to compare Deepworld, compare it to another indie mobile game, and once again, the developers themselves said that having more than one texture pack will be problematic, and if you don't believe me, you can just go ahead and ask them yourself
    I'm not sure how all that stuff works
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

But that's not 100% correct...
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

I can keep argueing but you have no goddamn idea what youre talking about. Minecraft servers ARENT EVEN HOSTED BY MICROSOFT. THE SERVERS ARE PRIVATE DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW THIS ALL WORKS REEEEEEEE.

Texture packs are CLIENT based, not SERVER based
    edited June 1
    Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

I can keep argueing but you have no goddamn idea what youre talking about. Minecraft servers ARENT EVEN HOSTED BY MICROSOFT. THE SERVERS ARE PRIVATE DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW THIS ALL WORKS REEEEEEEE.

I never said that they are hosted by Microsoft, I said that minecraft belongs to Microsoft

I know that you won't even understand this point even if I put it in the largest font ever, but the developers said that having more than one texture pack at once will be problematic

Post edited by _Brainstorm_ on
    edited May 31
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

I never said that they are hosted by Microsoft, I said that minecraft belongs to Microsoft

I know that you won't even understand this point even if I put it in the largest font ever, but the developers said that having more than one texture pack at once will be problematic

Ild like actual proof of that instead of just your word. Youre just talking about lag while you have no idea how texure packs work
    Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

Ild like actual proof of that instead of just your word. Youre just talking about lag while you have no idea how texure packs work
    I don't think you have any more information about texture packs than I do, I'm a developer, and I know for a fact that when a mob appears, for example, it will have to generate twice; once in front of people with this texture pack, and once in front of people with that, maybe I'm wrong and Deepworld has a different setting, but they still said that it would be problematic, I will try to look for when they said this, but I'm not looking for more than 5 minutes, I won't waste more time on this nonsense
    edited May 31
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

I don't think you have any more information about texture packs than I do, I'm a developer, and I know for a fact that when a mob appears, for example, it will have to generate twice; once in front of people with this texture pack, and once in front of people with that, maybe I'm wrong and Deepworld has a different setting, but they still said that it would be problematic, I will try to look for when they said this, but I'm not looking for more than 5 minutes, I won't waste more time on this nonsense
    The serverside only has the information a mob spawned. The client will then view that texture. A texture pack REPLACES the texture in the client. It doesnt have to register twice. You have no idea what youre talking about

ETA i made 3 gamemaker games I am a developer as well
    edited May 31
    Alright I didn't find it, so we'll just get @mikelaurence himself to tell us
    Ps: what are your games? I want to try them
  • MaverickMaverick The Chernokov ashesMember Posts: 38
    edited May 31
    I
    RedMan said:

The artist who made the old graphics has already left the team, and lots of new items don't have old graphics, so besides the fact that lots of items will need to be drawn with old graphics, which is impossible without Quinn, they also stated that having two texture packs in the same time for Deepworld will be very heavy and problematic and just won't work out, and also, there is the fact that not many people are asking for this, only about 2% of the current Deepworld population, perhaps.

RedMan said:

don't think you have any more information about texture packs than I do, I'm a developer, and I know for a fact that when a mob appears, for example, it will have to generate twice; once in front of people with this texture pack, and once in front of people with that, maybe I'm wrong and Deepworld has a different setting, but they still said that it would be problematic, I will try to look for when they said this, but I'm not looking for more than 5 minutes, I won't waste more time on this nonsense

First off all:
    Pics or it didnt happen, have you worked as a graphics
    designer?

Second off all, are you a numpty? if somehow someone managed to install a "texturepack"/skin/whatever for deepworld. its results would be purely CLIENTBASED. Unless the server host decides to patch his server with the textures, there would be no performance lag on the server, solely on the client. whom is responsible for his own actions.

Jezus Assholing Christ
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That rant out of the way,
    I agree with OP's vision, and would like to see a VLC media player type system placed.
    namely that Original Content creators could write files containing the edited textures, which then could be placed in the deepworld application folder, where an in game drop menu could select textures,
    Maverick said:

I

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

don't think you have any more information about texture packs than I do, I'm a developer, and I know for a fact that when a mob appears, for example, it will have to generate twice; once in front of people with this texture pack, and once in front of people with that, maybe I'm wrong and Deepworld has a different setting, but they still said that it would be problematic, I will try to look for when they said this, but I'm not looking for more than 5 minutes, I won't waste more time on this nonsense

First off all:
    Pics or it didnt happen, have you worked as a graphics
    designer?

Second off all, are you a numpty? if somehow someone managed to install a "texturepack"/skin/whatever for deepworld. its results would be purely CLIENTBASED. Unless the server host decides to patch his server with the textures, there would be no performance lag on the server, solely on the client. whom is responsible for his own actions.

Jezus Assholing Christ
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That rant out of the way,
    I agree with OP's vision, and would like to see a VLC media player type system placed.
    namely that Original Content creators could write files containing the edited textures, which then could be placed in the deepworld application folder, where an in game drop menu could select textures,
    I definitely agree with you, just didn't want to say it i case I was wrong.
  • MultarixMultarix In a quantum state of dead and aliveMember Posts: 2,761
    So basically. if I were to go off and redraw deepworld as all rainbows and unicorns with my own personal art, then copy and paste those files into my deepworld application (This would require a jailbroken iOS if you're on iPad/ iPhone/ iPod), you're saying that this will magically cause lag, server lag, and issues with other players?
    Multarix said:

So basically. if I were to go off and redraw deepworld as all rainbows and unicorns with my own personal art, then copy and paste those files into my deepworld application (This would require a jailbroken iOS if you're on iPad/ iPhone/ iPod), you're saying that this will magically cause lag, server lag, and issues with other players?

I just misunderstood the way he was thinking of adding those packs
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

Now who is the righteous arbiter that marked this as abuse?
    Dracul said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

...well it is a bit douchey and condescending.
    ...but is it really abuse-worthy?
  • DraculDracul MalkuthMember Posts: 1,526
    RedMan said:

Dracul said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

...well it is a bit douchey and condescending.
    ...but is it really abuse-worthy?
    possibly, depends on the arbi
  • takhisistakhisis Member Posts: 37
    I don't care about the old graphics, before my time. That being said, back when @mikelaurence did twitch streams he commented on the old texture patch that @ItzDennisz was working on for pc. I would link the video, but it wasn't archived. From what I remember he had no issue with it and praised him on it, but mentioned something about the coding. It was something to do with how the textures are assigned in the coding (forgive me, I don't know the terms). But basically with every dw update ItzDennisz would have to reassign? each texture all over again.

Hopefully another player who watched the stream can back me up. Or correct me if I'm wrong.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz ...Member Posts: 2,646
    I was planning on making versions for both platforms but quit for a number of reasons:
    - New items do not have the new textures, and a combination just doesn't look appealing.
    - It's time consuming. The entire texture system has been built around the new graphics.
    I would constantly have to crop images and modify .plist values to in the end have a decent looking texture.
    - It's pointless. A Deepworld update adding new items could potentially hussle around all the textures in their spritesheets, forcing me to start all over again.

Tbh I wouldn't recommend doing this as it took me 3-4 days to get a couple of simple textures right. Unless the developers add a system to support custom texture packs, just don't.
    RedMan said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

RedMan said:

I misread that

Salty much.
    If youre being like that abuses cna be expected tho