How can I find onyx?

WilliamdanielWilliamdaniel purififying worlds and planting trees and flowers.Member Posts: 57
Hi, I've played deep world for about a year now yet I haven't found my first onyx yet. How do I increase my chances of finding one and at what depth does it typically spawn? Low underground middle underground or deep underground? Thanks

Comments

• DraculDracul MalkuthMember Posts: 1,527
    There's no set spawn area. Most consistent tips are to level your perception stat and to explore frequently.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 3,436
    How to increase chances of finding an onyx:
    1. Higher perception, you can zoom with it and find stuff at a higher rate
    2. Explore frequently, as Dracul said earlier. You harvest more if you plant more, eh?
    3. I heard that onyx will usually spawn below -100 downwards, that was a couple of years ago so don't count on it, but still, it's a pretty apparent measure.
    4. If you can split in two, make two accounts for you and... you, more heads will find more onyx, right?
    5. Explore large chunks of unexplored lands, that, however, doesn't cancel the chance to find an onyx in a tiny unexplored area nor the chance to find it in an explored area because a person with low perception didn't see it (another con of having low perception)

How to decrease the chances:
    1. Follow people while mining
    2. Have low perception
    3. Play the game for a few minutes a day, I honestly don't know how someone expects to find an onyx under those circumstances
    4. Go to explored worlds
  • vmh20vmh20 Member Posts: 705
    Trust me, I didn't find my first onyx until about a year later too, I recommend buying an arctic world so you can try to find onyx and also find diamond.
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 588
    RedMan said:

2. Explore frequently, as Dracul said earlier. You harvest more if you plant more, eh?
    3. I heard that onyx will usually spawn below -100 downwards, that was a couple of years ago so don't count on it, but still, it's a pretty apparent measure.
    4. If you can split in two, make two accounts for you and... you, more heads will find more onyx, right?
    5. Explore large chunks of unexplored lands, that, however, doesn't cancel the chance to find an onyx in a tiny unexplored area nor the chance to find it in an explored area because a person with low perception didn't see it (another con of having low perception)

2. Have low perception
    3. Play the game for a few minutes a day, I honestly don't know how someone expects to find an onyx under those circumstances
    4. Go to explored worlds

I found an onyx while exploring for 10 minutes under an explored teleporter
    Debator said:

RedMan said:

2. Have low perception
    4. Go to explored worlds

Welp

(Sidenote: does anyone remember when people used to say that onyx spawns on the left side of the world, so people always explored that more)
  • WilliamdanielWilliamdaniel purififying worlds and planting trees and flowers.Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2
    RedMan said:

Debator said:

RedMan said:

2. Have low perception
    4. Go to explored worlds

Welp

(Sidenote: does anyone remember when people used to say that onyx spawns on the left side of the world, so people always explored that more)
    I have not been around that long but I just wanna say that they still do that.
  • WilliamdanielWilliamdaniel purififying worlds and planting trees and flowers.Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2
    Debator said:

RedMan said:

2. Have low perception
    4. Go to explored worlds

Whelp if that doesn't show the con of low perception (or bad lighting) I don't know what will. I'll be sure to upgrade my perception more.
  • RettaRetta Basking in so cal sunshineMember Posts: 466
    The "left side spawning" is bs
    Retta said:

The "left side spawning" is bs

• SetenSeten The city of England.Member Posts: 375
    Short answer: You don't, but even after you do, you realise that the amount of private worlds that you had to buy was a scam. There used to be at least 1 onyx in every world and you could break natural teleporters in your own worlds, but no, now you have to pay extra money on more worlds and mass teleporters.
    Sorry.
    Seten said:

Short answer: You don't, but even after you do, you realise that the amount of private worlds that you had to buy was a scam. There used to be at least 1 onyx in every world and you could break natural teleporters in your own worlds, but no, now you have to pay extra money on more worlds and mass teleporters.
    Sorry.

Huh... Now that I think of it... That's true.
    Seten said:

Sorry.

There actually is an onyx and sometimes more in each world, but lots of players miss them, if a person was to dig through a whole world with high perception, he would find at least one onyx, if not more
    (Also, since when could world-owners break their world's natural teleporters? Ever since I joined, that wasn't possible, or somewhere in the mid-2014s when I learned about worlds and stuff)
  • RettaRetta Basking in so cal sunshineMember Posts: 466
    @RedMan not true I very carefully search my worlds with high perception and most times there is no onyx, it's a gamble when u buy
  • Tannerman14Tannerman14 OblivionMember Posts: 2,215
    There is no guarantee that there's an onyx in a world
    Retta said:

@RedMan not true I very carefully search my worlds with high perception and most times there is no onyx, it's a gamble when u buy

Well, guess I'm just very lucky?
    edited June 2
    RedMan said:

Retta said:

You just gave me a theory, Perhaps your luck level determines if onyx spawns in a private world? Might be a small thing the devs added in secretly.
    edited June 2

RedMan said:

Retta said:

You just gave me a theory, Perhaps your luck level determines if onyx spawns in a private world? Might be a small thing the devs added in secretly.
    Luck only determines chest loots, it has nothing to do with worlds

#MatPatMuch
  • BrainGamerBrainGamer CanadaMember Posts: 475
    I have my pro skilled Onyx Hunt Trick xD! But its secret .-.
    Onyx is not guaranteed in every world, that includes private ones.
    This didn't used to be the case.
    So Redman, maybe those worlds were a bit older? IDK, could of just got lucky.
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 355
    To find onyx you use your brain...
    Seten said:

Onyx is not guaranteed in every world, that includes private ones.
    This didn't used to be the case.
    So Redman, maybe those worlds were a bit older? IDK, could of just got lucky.

I just explore in new worlds, I found an onyx just yesterday when I went on only to explore two worlds, and today I explored one world and one deep biome and found an orange crystal, could just be my luck
  • ZacywackoZacywacko MemberMember Posts: 1,061
    edited June 5
    Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

• AviatrixAviatrix Wardrobe, NarniaMember Posts: 93
    Ohhhh, well, ya see, I've been playing since 2013 and I STILL haven't found ONE onyx... so good luck!!!!!! :)
    Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

Uh, you could. I swear on my life I did ages back.
    Unless I was a haxoorr(jk)
    Seten said:

Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

As I recall, you can't, removal of natural teleporters was introduced with world machines, nothing you can do with the machines were doable without them
    RedMan said:

Seten said:

Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

As I recall, you can't, removal of natural teleporters was introduced with world machines, nothing you can do with the machines were doable without them
    Differently broke the natural teleporters by hand in one of my OLD arctic worlds.
    I swear on my life and everything I have.
    Seten said:

RedMan said:

Seten said:

Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

Differently broke the natural teleporters by hand in one of my OLD arctic worlds.
    Welp, proof or it didn't happen
    RedMan said:

Seten said:

RedMan said:

Seten said:

Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

Proof? I don't have any.
    I'm not sure why your so interested in disagreeing.
    But I swear on my life, I did.
    I SWEAR ON MY LIFE.
    Full stop.
    Seten said:

RedMan said:

Seten said:

RedMan said:

Seten said:

Zacywacko said:

Seten said:

Sorry.

You could never do that.

Proof? I don't have any.
    I'm not sure why your so interested in disagreeing.
    But I swear on my life, I did.
    I SWEAR ON MY LIFE.
    Full stop.
    Alright alright, fine, maybe it did happen before Deepworld's beta or on another build or maybe you had a mass machine or something
  • AviatrixAviatrix Wardrobe, NarniaMember Posts: 93
    I've heard that onyx spawns under 200m down but that's probably just a rumour. Also, it's really useful to have very high perception. :) good luck finding your onyx!