Whatever happened to....

LowkoeLowkoe In your rectumMember Posts: 22
After all these years of playing deepworld i really never knew what happened to the ocean biome, can someone fill me in?

Comments

• FlynnXDFlynnXD Somewhere in the middle of lifeMember Posts: 1,122
    I believe that the ocean biome plan was scrapped months ago, due to the fact that putting that much water in one world, the player dynamics would cause lag or some such. Overall, I think the project didn't seem viable, and moreover, in recent months, there have cropped up some more pressing issues like invisible mobs which robs their development time.
  • LowkoeLowkoe In your rectumMember Posts: 22
    Oh man thanks for helping me with that
  • AlphastormAlphastorm Somewhere in space. Watching...always watching. Waiting for the perfect time to strike.Member Posts: 461
    FlynnXD said:

I believe that the ocean biome plan was scrapped months ago, due to the fact that putting that much water in one world, the player dynamics would cause lag or some such. Overall, I think the project didn't seem viable, and moreover, in recent months, there have cropped up some more pressing issues like invisible mobs which robs their development time.

Yeah it was scrapped for those reasons. But you know what I don't understand? The game does seem to be able to handle that much water, having seen two worlds with extreme amounts of water: "water world" and "Rock Candy",
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 3,436

FlynnXD said:

Yeah it was scrapped for those reasons. But you know what I don't understand? The game does seem to be able to handle that much water, having seen two worlds with extreme amounts of water: "water world" and "Rock Candy",
    Maybe the fact that multiple worlds of that kind will exist every week...
  • AlphastormAlphastorm Somewhere in space. Watching...always watching. Waiting for the perfect time to strike.Member Posts: 461

FlynnXD said:

Maybe the fact that multiple worlds of that kind will exist every week...
    Well they could be event exclusive worlds. Also I suspect worlds nobody has been to for sometime get sent to memory and take up much less space due to not updating constantly. Later, when someone comes the world reloads as they enter. Which would also be a reason for the mob glitch, but that's only tangentially related to this topic, yes?
  • ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Member Posts: 129
    Might be wrong here but wasn't it that when players mined blocks the moving water caused lag? Because a ocean world full of players digging down and all the water moving would definitely cause some lag, rock candy and water world are protected so players can't mine blocks causing no lag? I'm probably miles away from the correct answer correct me if I'm wrong!
    edited July 25

Might be wrong here but wasn't it that when players mined blocks the moving water caused lag? Because a ocean world full of players digging down and all the water moving would definitely cause some lag, rock candy and water world are protected so players can't mine blocks causing no lag? I'm probably miles away from the correct answer correct me if I'm wrong!

Well yes, that is true. Of course rendering so much water would cause issues, but it really depends on the layout. Is it a gigantic ocean or an ocean speckled with islands. Depth is also a factor, of course.
  • Shadow711Shadow711 Wherever the wind takes meMember Posts: 793
    If the devs manage to keep the physics of water in that certain biome without actually having to make water be there, the dream could be possible. (I mean that there's a way to put the physics you get swimming in water in the whole entire world without actually being in water.)
    Shadow711 said:

If the devs manage to keep the physics of water in that certain biome without actually having to make water be there, the dream could be possible. (I mean that there's a way to put the physics you get swimming in water in the whole entire world without actually being in water.)

Yep.
  • TealHyenaTealHyena Hallucination Peak Mob FarmMember Posts: 433

Shadow711 said:

Yep.
    If they could make the water texture become the "backdrop" (like the excavate-able stuff) and add swimming mechanics when you pass into it, I think it would definitely work. It would obviously be Non-excavate-able. But this would prevent all water movement lag and still allow a "water" world! @mikelaurence
  • Shadow711Shadow711 Wherever the wind takes meMember Posts: 793
    I'm a lyrical genius! I AM NOT A GAY FISH.