Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Karma Police: Should we get rid of karma for mining blocks?

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,313
Karma works great for penalizing non-PvP bombers! For mining blocks, we're not so sure.

Originally not many people had protectors, but they're a lot more available these days (via trading, loot, daily loot, offers, etc.) And people know they need to protect their stuff. So the question is, does karma really prevent griefing? Is it worth the trade-off of annoying players who aren't griefing? Let us know what you think (and imagine being a new player as well, not necessarily just a savvy veteran.)

Karma Police: Should we get rid of karma for mining blocks? 120 votes

Yes! Get rid of it.
89%
jsonperlSirentisttjergozDr_DerpShiroNaiAuralisaEverywhenItzDenniszRetro_Chowlilroller717ipadsLordOreolxlyGrebebeWilliam2ZacywackoAquaPhynnAcid4MisterMonday 107 votes
No way! It still serves a purpose.
10%
DraculKliuqardGabsterMultarixThe_MarauderRobotSparkAMWhyClownDetechOctopusKompaniecGanzhaSixkvuf 13 votes

Comments

• TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 705
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    It’s quite annoying.
  • FrostyFrosty In your closet...Member Posts: 344
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Exstremely annoying, please remove! Thanks!
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 694
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Sometimes I place rares in non-trade worlds for people to mine. I wouldn't want them to get karma for it. And sometimes people leave blocks lying around like trash and people have to clean them up.
  • LilyabcLilyabc Kpop?Member Posts: 950
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Its quite annoying for my sister and I, since I usually build her houses for her and she usually wants to change a bit of the stuff. But recently she got a warning for karma, so she had been scared of getting karma.
  • ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 877
    edited December 2017
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    YES GET RID OF THAT TRASH. It isn't doing anything but making the players mad and annoyed at the game it is nothing but a negative thing to have in the game the protectors are there to protect items.
    Post edited by Electrox on
  • Shadow711Shadow711 I’m in a rather dark place, if you haven’t guessed by now.Member Posts: 882
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    It’s very annoying. Especially in the middle of a giveaway that involves placing eighty blue crystals.
  • AlphastormAlphastorm A higher plane of existence.Member Posts: 533
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Karma is such an antiquated system. It does little to stop those who really wish to grief and impedes more than it helps.
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    To add on to this, if your griefing someone's vault they are going to have it protected unless in a private worlds. So more thank likely they placed the blocks. This means if your added to world your his friend so he follows you. If someone follows you, you don't get karma. So it's useless in that circumstance.

It only goes into effect when griefing things unprotected, and anything unprotected, unless in a giveaway, is going to be near worthless. So most of the time you get karma for things intended to be mined or things you are mining to clear a spot. Take away karma!
  • Bastian7Bastian7 Between WorldsMember Posts: 395
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Ive gotten karma several times for mining blocks. Get rid of it.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 1,128
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Yes and please.

Thank and you,
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    13 verses 0

Go with the majority!
    IMG_2665.PNG
    1107 x 466 - 74K
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,585
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    The overwhelming results say....
  • DupixDupix CanadaMember Posts: 22
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Majority vote.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,106
    I'm different.
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    From beginner to onyx crow I've never had karma, so I have no problem with it either way, but if it acts as a deterrent in any way then I'd say keep it in. It's not a hard message to learn: Don't steal.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,034
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    I agree
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    AMWhy said:

From beginner to onyx crow I've never had karma, so I have no problem with it either way, but if it acts as a deterrent in any way then I'd say keep it in. It's not a hard message to learn: Don't steal.

So if there is a giveaway and they want you to mine, it's still wrong in your opnion?
  • GabsterGabster Where tea rules supreme Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,142
    I feel like the main people this protects is new players and I've had to explain to a lot of new player how protectors work. A lot of new players also don't join the forums until later on, so I think it's fair I vote for the latter. I just feel that deep world doesn't exactly have the friendliest community at the mo, and people may take advantage of it. So I believe this feature still serves a purpose.

But this is just one gals opinion.
  • DuckysOnQuackDuckysOnQuack Member Posts: 13
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    yes get rid of it its annoying
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    @Gabster if you want to complain about a noob not understanding, let me tell you this. The first time you see a protector, along with any item, a white bubble pops up explaining the item and it's purpose.
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 1,008
    edited December 2017
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    I don't think karma has ever once effected me in a positive way, and I can tell you now lisa has received a large boat load of messages about it from me over the years. There really isn't a reason I should be disabled from playing the game because someone decided they wanted to grief my world with all 100,000 stone in their inventory.

I'd say get rid of it, it's a problematic system that needs serious re-tuning to stay around.
    If it was to be kept here's some changes it would really need the most:
    1.) Karma is not built up by mining others blocks if you own the world.
    2.) Bombing people takes your ability to place bombs away temporarily, and disables the ability to collect XP, not disable your game.
    3.) While under karma, still allow placing and mining in your own worlds.
    4.) When you are under a karma debuff, a karma symbol would go where your crow should go, and you should not be able to gain XP, craft, mine, loot or place while under it.
    5.) Having a system to say your karma was in the wrong that isn't emailing and that could be more community based like the reporting feature.

The system is in no doubt flawed, and either needs to be scrapped completely or reworked very heavily. With how slow updates come currently just throw it out, I'd prefer new content over ways to keep me from playing the game because I decided I wanted to play the game, that's just silly.
  • MihirGamesMihirGames Hiding from the supernova in spaceMember Posts: 208
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Yes get rid of it, it’s annoying when giveaways are going on.
  • ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Plastic BeachMember Posts: 219
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Digging protected compost gives karma learn a new thing everyday, thanks frustration nation
  • MihirGamesMihirGames Hiding from the supernova in spaceMember Posts: 208
    Yes! Get rid of it.

Digging protected compost gives karma learn a new thing everyday, thanks frustration nation

LOLLLLLLL
  • AuraAura EnglandMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,075
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    Get rid of it for most blocks, but I would say increase it for "rare" items. Have it so stealing someone's onyx really hits hard, but clearing away the item spam someone has done to your world does not.

That's what I would say...
  • Menocraft191Menocraft191 Porterville, CaliforniaMember Posts: 102
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    sometimes getting rid of other's non-protected structures are really annoying, having karma with it makes it even worse! >:[[[
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    edited December 2017
    Frosty said:

AMWhy said:

So if there is a giveaway and they want you to mine, it's still wrong in your opnion?
    There are many ways to do a giveaway. The best is to give the item directly to the player. Actually, this is the norm at the moment because of the karma.

• FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    Yes! Get rid of it.
    But I don't think this means that a successor system mustn't be made. I'd still prefer the non-pvp world bombers to be given karma effects.