Our new Space Biome update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

A way to fix PvP

EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,733
edited February 4 in Feedback and Game Ideas
PvP in Deepworld is hard to do properly thanks to the fact that most players can heal off all damage taken (excluding bombs), allowing matches to go on literally until someone runs out of jerky/filets because NO ONE DIES!

For this reason, whilst it used to be a massive part of the game, PvP has sort of faded into the background.
I have an idea that might allow PvP to become relevant again, namely the introduction of a new item.

I'd call it something like a recorder, but I'm imagining looking something like a world machine sized version of this, with an animated ECG like display:

This item would act like an engineering item, designed to be used with a timed switch or touchplate.
First, the touchplate/switch would be placed and a duration for the PvP match would be set. Then the recorder would be placed, and it would have two lines where the user can type names in. Here, the person supervising the match would enter the names of the competitors, then close the window.

Now, what the recorder actually does is, in the time it is activated by the timed switch/touchplate, is track how much damage is taken by each player listed. As it's unlikely that players will die in a PvP match where Jerky and Filets and Canisters are legal, the next best way to determine a winner is by saying the loser is whoever took the most damage. We know that damage calculations are performed by the server, because of the fact that several stats mitigate damage taken, so it could be possible to simply add the result of the damage calc to a variable or something which, at the end of the time period, the recorder accesses and then announces.

At the end of the time period, the recorder would then output the results:
Player 1: XXX Damage Taken
Player 2: XXX Damage Taken

Now we have a way of working out who the winner/loser of a PvP match is, what do we do next?
We create a ladder!

Gamers tend to be competitive and want to show off. Me included. So what better way to encourage people to take part in PvP then to have an official duelling ladder. This would run on a simple ELO rating system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system), which could then be linked to an external database. They're not hard to make, and players could start their own unofficial "fight-clubs" for their friends or guilds.

Maybe create a world-machine that manages it's own duelling ladder?
Or host it through an external source (I've already created a Deepworld Duelling ladder in the past but it didn't take off.)

So. What do people think of the idea?

Comments

• EverywhenEverywhen Make someone happy todayMember, Arbiter Posts: 4,733
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 2,891
    I think we shouldn't talk about fight club.
    I also think that a pvp ladder or w/e in a 2D MMO Sandbox game based around mining and building isn't really something people are going to go crazy about.
  • ZacywackoZacywacko MemberMember Posts: 1,146
    A world machine to ban the use of said consumables could work. I don’t know if it was intentional, but all the weapons started doing double the damage that they used to on players since December, which makes normal jerkies obsolete for pvp.
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,804
    pvp in deepworld has always been trash
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 1,397
    This would work, though I think PvP isn’t popular anymore because of the lag. Maybe once that’s solved this could be looked at
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 660
    edited February 4
    Great idea!!!
    We could also have a PvP game which prevents eating jerky and/or canisters.
    Or only allowes a certain amount of consumables per game.

We could also have an engeneering item that heals, it would be awesome for PvP. Or fill you up on steam.

And PvP gun mods that could prevent healing on hit, or do extra damage against brains, or disable shelds... e.t.c.

New guns - grenade lanchers, or granades that temporarily disable ability to shoot. Or blind granades that make the persons view of the game blur or go white :)

Maybe a beam weapon that could hit people through blocks, or earth (or deflect only on certain blocks)

I am also waiting on a run upgrade into a minigun....
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 1,397
    Detech said:

Great idea!!!
    We could also have a PvP game which prevents eating jerky and/or canisters.
    Or only allowes a certain amount of consumables per game.

We could also have an engeneering item that heals, it would be awesome for PvP. Or fill you up on steam.

And PvP gun mods that could prevent healing on hit, or do extra damage against brains, or disable shelds... e.t.c.

New guns - grenade lanchers, or granades that temporarily disable ability to shoot. Or blind granades that make the persons view of the game blur or go white :)

Maybe a beam weapon that could hit people through blocks, or earth (or deflect only on certain blocks)

I am also waiting on a run upgrade into a minigun....

Grenades are a little too much... but the beam cannon,

“Charlie Squad, let’s killem with K.N.D.N.E.S!”
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 25
    I'm confused a little about finding out who the winner or loser would be based on damage taken. What if one of the two players has more health than the other, took more damage, but killed the other?
  • RobotSparkRobotSpark Secretly preparing to nuke PipCorp...Member Posts: 423
    Then they were still capable of dealing out more damage. I imagine kills would be entirely irrelevant
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Hi, I'm Robin.Member Posts: 905
    The only reason that PvP isn't popular is because there is no incentive to do it. Maybe if there was a reward after maybe a match made PvP system like free for all, team vs team, etc.
    But good luck getting that added, I'll see you in 4 years when they address they are releasing a world machine that simply stops consumable use and then take another year to release and be half nonfunctional and unmovable.