Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Extended crafting / science system - discuss!

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,339
We've always intended to allow *some* kind of system for crafting items that are currently uncraftable (accessories, world machines, etc.), but it's always been on the backburner. But as I look at the game and think about what could help balance out the rough edges, this keeps coming back to me. It could allow more things to be craftable (and have fewer things be crown-store only), as well as add uses for more items in the game (especially steam-powered machines).

For a while I thought about making a completely different crafting system, but Deepworld already has so many mechanics, it feels like anything new should be additive to what already exists.

So, I have a broad strategy that I think will work well and also make crafting a little more interesting/involved. Basically:

1. Some crafting recipes could require one or more steam machines to be connected and working in the immediate vicinity

Why is this fun? It would require players to build custom "workshops" for the crafting of specific types of items, which would be more interesting than being able to craft anything at any time. And we could add a "space" requirement for the machines so you can't just jam a hundred of every type of machine in one room and craft everything there :)

Examples:
- Craft brain wine with four functional wine presses nearby
- Craft Diamond Mining Gloves with two functional engines and forges nearby

2. Some crafting recipes could require a blueprint in the immediate vicinity

This is similar to #1, but it would necessitate players looting/trading for blueprints for valuable items. It's another way to increase the interest of a workshop (also, very rare blueprints might lead to certain players making permanent workshops for people to come craft at, which would be fun).

3. Some crafting recipes could have success/failure rates and/or adverse effects

This could be a fun excuse for the long-awaited "science" skill. Basically, if you have a low science skill and you're crafting intricate science-y things, you'll be more likely to accidentally cause an electrical storm or spawn a bunch of brains.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 882
    Sounds cool
  • RhinoClawRhinoClaw HellMember Posts: 143
    Because of the new science skill would that mean that more levels are going to be up for us "high-leveled" players. This would give our useless amounts of experience an actual use. I have been at level 78 and recently stopped playing because I'm maxed.
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 705
    edited February 18
    I’m definately up for any advancement of this game BUT, please do some of the things that have been promised!
    Ex. Moving world machines, more world machines
    Don’t keep making new ideas that don’t get carried out
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,669
    As long as engines get to create steam jets, I’m down. Or steam jets create canisters/fill em up. Just something to make steam jets important to everyone. They’re feeling left out!
  • E_P_I_CE_P_I_C ViennaMember Posts: 29
    This sounds like a good idea, although it may take a while to get everything working. May I suggest a use for widgets and or sprockets.
  • vmh20vmh20 Minneapolis, MinnesotaMember Posts: 870
    Sounds cool!
  • ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Plastic BeachMember Posts: 219
    Take my money.
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 704
    Great idea! Only thing is, some of us are way past the point of needing these items and this is more of a novelty. Having said that, if you include some decorative-type items (poison sounds like one that'll work, though I would like turtle shell, beehive, and wax) under the rare blueprints, I think that'll be enough incentive to keep me playing and not actually just checking in now and then.
  • PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,641
    The first option sounds cool, but wouldn’t it be better to make some kind of special crafting machine with brass, diamond, and onyx tiers that you can upgrade to that needs to be connected to some amount of other machines via steam line?
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,339
    PIPTR0 said:

The first option sounds cool, but wouldn’t it be better to make some kind of special crafting machine with brass, diamond, and onyx tiers that you can upgrade to that needs to be connected to some amount of other machines via steam line?

Good idea. I was thinking some new machines might make this more interesting as well!
  • MisterMondayMisterMonday ArcanGrove / The Lower HouseMember Posts: 286
    Yay! Good to see you coming up with cool ideas @mikelaurence
    edited February 19
    A tea maker, makes tea
    Edit: WAAAAIT - a steampowered tea maker that makes tea
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 705
    Maybe add a way to brew tea and have it temporarily increase your steam capacity by 5 points.
  • Shadow711Shadow711 I’m in a rather dark place, if you haven’t guessed by now.Member Posts: 882
    edited February 19
    I might have a cool idea. Imagine melting metal with boiling hot steam. Maybe something including lethally hot steam could be used to make tools, and more pipes of steam will be needed for harder materials.

Edit: Added a rather poor drawing of the idea. Mind me, I have little to no drawing skills... virtually, at least.

Post edited by Shadow711 on
    26F133F9-21C8-4C4B-B691-D85606AD2D04.jpeg
    749 x 964 - 122K
    edited February 19

What kind of other steam powered industrial crafting machines would you like to see? (And what kinds of items would they help make)?

A brain manufacturer that uses ectoplasm to spawn ghosts, which it then uses to create brains. Copyright Valitech, 2018. Available for use by Bytebin.

EDIT: Nevermind, this isn’t a crafting machine. Maybe a separator that digs through sand (uses up inventory sand) to find exclusive rares or clothes? Or a box unboxer that uses special crates to give rare clothing! Of course, they would run on tea and may break down (can be fixed with widgets and sprockets).
    Post edited by IronManArcher on
  • ChickenChicken playing paladins Member Posts: 1,355
    What about a weather machine
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,745

What kind of other steam powered industrial crafting machines would you like to see? (And what kinds of items would they help make)?

This is like a dream come true!

Here are some thoughts from a builder.

Mike, on behalf of all builders I would like to ask for some sort of upside down roof peices, and upside down braintank roofs. They would be most wonderful for ships, airships and spaceships! This is top priority for most builders!

Also maybe some slanted window parts, like diagonal window pieces.

A circle window for ships and spaceships would be very useful, I am sure many beginers at building will love it.

Engineering:

Engines - could produce electricity. Or could connect chain lines to it and make some devices work (harder to do, but a moving chain from engine to s device would look fantastic)

Gears - could be connected to engines and have some way of connecting between themselves. For example a fear from engine, connected to a gear near a large clock would make it work. (Or some new device)

Powerlines - could be used to connect engines to devices like teslas and stuff (would make more sense). Or some new devices.

Zappers - Some sort of security gate that would zap people whet they walk hrough. Or maybe two objects between which a laser or electrical discharge could be triggered.

Fixes:
    Please allow to remove backdrop everywhere in space.

Maybe have metal backdrop save from supernova, or add some shield that protects from it. Since space came out, I had more deaths then in a previous year. Mining in space is okay, but building in space is insanly frustrating.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 87
    E_P_I_C said:

I would like to be able to allow certain friends to mine in a protector instead of all friends. This isn’t completely related but is something that might be useful.

I'd love a selective permeability protector, but what would also be nice is something like a recycling machine that I can make without having to travel back and forth to the world's machine.
  • Guisseppe17Guisseppe17 Member Posts: 61
    edited February 19
    I see a lot of excited comments about new machines, but not much feedback about blueprints. Personally, I'd love the idea of blueprints for more complicated items (whether it be for previous daily loot, crown shop loot, or something new) dropping as very rare loot from chests and being placeable objects (maybe the same size as a map, 4x2 tiles). Construction of the item would have to take place within, say, a 20-tile radius of the placed blueprint, and it could be placed in a player's workshop. This would add some more variety to chest loot for veteran players to work towards finding, introduce a new type of decor that would be sure to liven up any engineer's workshop, and be a decent way to expand upon the crafting mechanism ingame.
    Post edited by Guisseppe17 on
  • PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,641
    Another possible option with blueprints in having the previously mentioned crafting station, and once it reaches, for example, the onyx tier after upgrading, one could use an onyx pickaxe blueprint on it, and then that crafting station would forever be able to craft onyx pickaxes at it.
    Detech said:

Mike, on behalf of all builders I would like to ask for some sort of upside down roof peices, and upside down braintank roofs. They would be most wonderful for ships, airships and spaceships! This is top priority for most builders!

A circle window for ships and spaceships would be very useful, I am sure many beginers at building will love it.
    Uh, he asked for machines. Though maybe a machine that makes these would be good!

Detech said:

Uh, he asked for machines. Though maybe a machine that makes these would be good!
    A architect workbench or sumthin
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,040
    Mushroom wine please
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 87
    PIPTR0 said:

Another possible option with blueprints in having the previously mentioned crafting station, and once it reaches, for example, the onyx tier after upgrading, one could use an onyx pickaxe blueprint on it, and then that crafting station would forever be able to craft onyx pickaxes at it.

I don't know what to say other than we can already craft them ourselves.
  • ForestGumpForestGump Living On A Forest rn, Hbu?Member Posts: 275
    Good idea
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,745

Detech said:

Maybe a glass melting machine and brick making.
  • racerdogracerdog Member Posts: 137
    edited February 19
    I think the world weather controlling machine would be really cool.
    ...also a machine that clones. kind of like an expiator, only if you lure an animal or mob close and activate it, the creature gets cloned.
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651
    when is the interview happening
This discussion has been closed.