Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

supporters and critics are two sides of the same coin

DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
edited February 22 in Gripes and Grins
Memes and cults aside, I have a few requests before I go back to my slumber.

While I and many others in the past year have not been the most civil in expressing our displeasure towards the game's direction, please know that most people who do criticize this game usually come from the same place as the ones who are quick to defend it. Both sides find the game to be entertaining, both sides see its potential, and both sides may still enjoy it.

It's obvious that I've stopped trying (or arguably caring), but that's of my own personal thought that this game isn't for me anymore. Tastes change as time passes. This doesn't mean that I don't believe the game to have potential anymore, of course. As I've said, it's my personal reason.

That said, this common ground between critics and supporters simply means that there is no need for any of you to go down each other's throats and start bashing the people behind the arguments. There is no need for supporters to try and illegitimize the thoughts and feelings of those who feel that the game could do a bit better. Likewise, critics should empathize with those they address in such a way that it reflects in a respectful manner in their words. They also should be able to take into account the points of those that criticze their own criticism.

Either way, sometimes supporters should tone it down a bit. Criticism of the game is mainly for the developers. While you can point out some things that have been answered by the devs themselves before, you can never really give a satisfactory answer because of the fact that you do not work on the game. Fellow players shouldn't take a critique so personally, especially if said critique isn't even for them. In a similar vain to me realizing that this game is not for me, you must realize that their critiques are not for their fellow players, but for the developers.

In my opinion, having people who don't work on the game be the loudest responders actually hurts the forum's environment more than it helps. If a new player visiting sees that the devs' supporters respond more than the devs themselves, then it isn't entirely a stretch for that new player to assume that the game's community is an echo chamber. It's honestly like if you come into a McDonalds and find someone complaining that their burger had no patty, and then seeing a fellow customer stand up with vitriol in order to defend McDonalds, when in reality it should be the staff who addresses the customer's concerns.

This does, however, bring me to my final point. If the supporters get much too zealous in their efforts and end up discouraging people from expressing their thoughts on the game, then it actually hurts the devs themselves. Feedback is incredibly important, especially for an indie game like Deepworld. It is where the devs are able to gather information in order to create their plans for a new update. If this feedback is silenced, then the devs are akin to a blind man hitting darts. They'll make an update, sure, but they probably won't know if this update is what the people want. Their goal will be muddled because this goal's clarity has been ousted.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that while I have stopped trying, don't make those who still do feel unwelcome. It creates a stagnant environment lacking synthesis in its ideas.

P.S. Please realize as well that some people really just want to hear more from the Devs. Blogs are a step in the right direction.

P.S.S. I acknowledge that too much negative criticism can hurt the game's community as well, but enough has been written about that in the years that this forum has been online.

Comments

• DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651
    if u dont like it tbh just leave
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,580
    Debator said:

This is what they're talking about. Now shush and go back to sleep.
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651

Debator said:

This is what they're talking about. Now shush and go back to sleep.
    Im pretty sure youre the forum police Dracul is talking about. I was clearly making a joke...
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
    edited February 22
    Both of you, honestly, shut up. You're both coming across as children in a community of Jake and Logan Paul fans.

IronManArcher, get off your high horse. Mike does not need you to attack any hint of negativity. You are essentially a second hand source without a valid first hand source. I'd understand if you knew either of the devs personally, but you don't. Json, Mike, and Lisa are adults who can speak for themselves. I appreciate your passion for the game, but enthusiasm is never an excuse for condescension.

Debator, grow some tact. You're displeased with the game, then focus on the game. IronManArcher and others can be cringy on their own merit. There is no need to kick the dog when they're down. I appreciate your passion for the game, but enthusiasm is never an excuse for condescension.

Don't even try to imply that you're both kidding around when it's obvious to everyone else that this little feud needs to blow over.

Both of you have not broken any terms (that I know of), so both of you are allowed to stay here.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,034
    Dracul said:

Both of you, honestly, shut up. You're both coming across as children in a community of Jake and Logan Paul fans.

IronManArcher, get off your high horse. Mike does not need you to attack any hint of negativity. You are essentially a second hand source without a valid first hand source. I'd understand if you knew either of the devs personally, but you don't. Json, Mike, and Lisa are adults who can speak for themselves. I appreciate your passion for the game, but enthusiasm is never an excuse for condescension.

Debator, grow some tact. You're displeased with the game, then focus on the game. IronManArcher and others can be cringy on their own merit. There is no need to kick the dog when they're down. I appreciate your passion for the game, but enthusiasm is never an excuse for condescension.

Don't even try to imply that you're both kidding around when it's obvious to everyone else that this little feud needs to blow over.

Both of you have not broken any terms (that I know of), so both of you are allowed to stay here.

Nothing worse than those, and better than Rick and Morty fans
    Dracul said:

Who are you to tell me I can stay! I don’t take orders from you! I’m leaving!
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559

Dracul said:

Silliness aside, do you understand?
    Dracul said:

Dracul said:

Silliness aside, do you understand?
    Probably. Yes. Definitely yes.