Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Congratulations to our new Arbiters!

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,295
Please welcome five new folks to Arbiterhood!

@AMWhy
@Grebebe
@Gabster
@ChatotTheParrot
@tjergoz

*It's okay if you're now an Arbiter and not that active - we'll be adding more arbiters on a regular basis now.

Comments

• _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,016
    Oh great, where can I apply?
  • vmh20vmh20 Minneapolis, MinnesotaMember Posts: 868

^^
  • ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,991
    Congrats!!! Welcome ;P
  • tjergoztjergoz Member, Arbiter Posts: 5,439
    I swear i’ll be a good arbiter but I just couldn’t resist the moment to use this meme.
    363814FB-F2F7-404F-9A4E-A867F9C4F7E2.jpeg
    605 x 377 - 35K
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,454
    tjergoz said:

I swear i’ll be a good arbiter but I just couldn’t resist the moment to use this meme.

Agreed. And congrats everyone!

06CF3ED0-5036-4E21-8BD8-DFF94159D063.png
    250 x 284 - 91K
  • tjergoztjergoz Member, Arbiter Posts: 5,439
    By the way, I really want to help to keep the forums a neat and fun place, so in all honestly, thanks for the chance everyone. I really appreciate it!
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651
    Just a question how is adding arbiters reguarly a good idea. Doesnt the community need more actual mods instead of these half measures. I feel like this will make such a big portion of the community an arbiter it becomes kinda obsolete
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 700
    Debator said:

Just a question how is adding arbiters reguarly a good idea. Doesnt the community need more actual mods instead of these half measures. I feel like this will make such a big portion of the community an arbiter it becomes kinda obsolete

Why does it always have to be a complaint
  • SpyroSpyro Dumb enough to tryMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,691
    TealHyena said:

Debator said:

Why does it always have to be a complaint
    I think it's a good idea we should be thinking about :smiley:
    Honestly, maybe we should take in consideration their activity and current “forum karma”, which is measured by the stuff they solve, questions they answer, big arguments they end for example, and perhaps just being good in general... and perhaps a select number of arbiters should be chosen for a year, and changed the next year based on activity and forum karma for the year and so on...
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 614
    I must become one!!
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
    edited February 24

Honestly, maybe we should take in consideration their activity and current “forum karma”, which is measured by the stuff they solve, questions they answer, big arguments they end for example, and perhaps just being good in general... and perhaps a select number of arbiters should be chosen for a year, and changed the next year based on activity and forum karma for the year and so on...

Honestly, I feel as if there are enough arbiters as it is. Most days, constant forum activity only happens for a little under 5 hours. More than enough for a group of people to monitor.

If moderation really is an issue people wanna tackle then the in game community is more of a priority. You can literally go into any public world and you will soon enough find a few people being obscene and throwing out slurs. Not like you have to look too hard either, you'll always find the most people in either the newest generated world or in Times. To give an idea of how absurd the ig community is, I actually found a bunch of "pro players" simulating NSFW acts with emotes and on chat. They weren't memeing or joking around either, it was full on cyber stuff. There's also the issue or some previously banned offensive players who keep changing their IPs to get around their bans.

More people are active in game, too, and yet only one or two are in charge of moderating that.

Besides, arbiters still have to rely on their own words in order to mediate issues. Reactions aren't really much of an issue. I know they also have their own hidden forum section for decision makiing but as it is I have a feeling it's still lisa who gets the final say.

As Spyro and Deb brought up, giving arbiters more moderation capabilities will most likely eliminate any need for new ones; it is definitely worth considering. Anything that can shift the focus to the in game community would be helpful.

Even if there's this "wholesome" community thing forumers want to project the fact if the matter is that the forums are still a minority. I've heard of some players who steer clear from the forums altogether because of a sense of "elitism", apparently, along with a myriad of reasons.

Essentially, because of the forums being such a small factor the whole "arbiter" thing just ends up like an exclusive club most want to get into, with people mentioning it to be their goal without exactly showing any of the tact required for a pseudo-moderation role. Consequently, it could be argued that this kind of trivializes the forums even further, but I wouldn't go that far.
  • ChickenChicken random pfpMember Posts: 1,344
    edited February 24
    We don’t have a large community on the forums so I don’t see why new arbiters are needed. The few arbiters we have are enough for the small community.
    mofc1991 said:

I must become one!!

Hahaha
  • ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Plastic BeachMember Posts: 219
    Boo!
    Guys, what’s so bad about more arbiters? It’s more people to report spam and hand out warnings.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 1,124

Not if they looked over your in game chats...
    derpdee said:

Same to you

Guys, what’s so bad about more arbiters? It’s more people to report spam and hand out warnings.

Read my post. Read it more carefully. Read it openly. Do not blanket it as negative.
    Dracul said:

Read my post. Read it more carefully. Read it openly. Do not blanket it as negative.
    Who says I was talking about your post?
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,580
    Awesome, no more spam with fake passports and stuff! Thank you!
  • ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,991

We don't hand out warnings. Lol

Dracul said:

Who says I was talking about your post?
    My post addresses your question. If you want more clarification, feel free to PM me.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,061
    edited February 24
    Ok so no official reply on this yet, but Mike is currently talking to Vanilla about lowering the flag requirement to autovanish posts.

This means that more arbiters + lower requirement will allow dodgy posts to disappear faster
    edited February 24
    Everywhen said:

Ok so no official reply on this yet, but Mike is currently talking to Vanilla about lowering the flag requirement to autovanish posts.

This means that more arbiters + lower requirement will allow dodgy posts to disappear faster

I would assume, then, that this also means stricter screenings? If the purpose would be to autovanish "dodgy" posts, then all arbiters must be on the same page as to what "dodgy" is. If it were limited to passport scam spam accounts I'd understand, but enough players have shown their intent in suppressing what others have to say. Of course, that factor wouldn't matter if arbiters are chosen more carefully; it's just that this forum is inactive enough as it is that I wouldn't take any chances to further that.

Either way, thanks for giving more info.
  • DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651

But it isnt effective to have more people with medium power. Like you can sent 200 people with clubs against 3 people with miniguns, and it will still do nothing. Its more usefull to arm the 200 people better than to add another 100 people.
    For proof, look at world war one
    Debator said:

But it isnt effective to have more people with medium power. Like you can sent 200 people with clubs against 3 people with miniguns, and it will still do nothing. Its more usefull to arm the 200 people better than to add another 100 people.
    For proof, look at world war one
    Uh, 200 people with clubs would obliterate the three people with miniguns.
    edited February 24
    derpdee said:

What’s wrong with my in game chats? I never even bypassed the swear filter in game, and all I do is help and receive help

ETA: (I wasn’t serious about applying for arbitership btw, just so this argument doesn’t ACCENDD)
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,295
    Arbiters have no in-game powers, it’s purely to help bury spam in the forums.

Arbiters have no in-game powers, it’s purely to help bury spam in the forums.

To clarify, finding and removing spam is the sole job of an arbiter? Has it changed from before, then?