Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Congratulations to our new Arbiters!

Comments

• DebatorDebator dabbing on the hatersMember Posts: 651

Debator said:

Guys, what’s so bad about more arbiters? It’s more people to report spam and hand out warnings.

But it isnt effective to have more people with medium power. Like you can sent 200 people with clubs against 3 people with miniguns, and it will still do nothing. Its more usefull to arm the 200 people better than to add another 100 people.
    For proof, look at world war one
    Uh, 200 people with clubs would obliterate the three people with miniguns.
    For the sake of my analogy it foes. Just imagine them being 200 m apart

Arbiters have no in-game powers, it’s purely to help bury spam in the forums.

With all repect, I dont think that was the question most people wanted an answer to
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    Debator said:

Debator said:

Guys, what’s so bad about more arbiters? It’s more people to report spam and hand out warnings.

But it isnt effective to have more people with medium power. Like you can sent 200 people with clubs against 3 people with miniguns, and it will still do nothing. Its more usefull to arm the 200 people better than to add another 100 people.
    For proof, look at world war one
    Uh, 200 people with clubs would obliterate the three people with miniguns.
    For the sake of my analogy it foes. Just imagine them being 200 m apart
    Ah, that makes more sense.
  • GabsterGabster Where tea rules supreme Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,142
    Thanks! I've been on the forums for awhile now, hopefully I will do a good job :smiley:
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,887
    Dracul said:

To clarify, finding and removing spam is the sole job of an arbiter? Has it changed from before, then?
    Flagging inappropriate posts is the sole "power" that arbiters have on the forum, yes. However there are other aspects of the "job," like alerting the admins to things like obvious alts and trolls, or inappropriate wall activity, inappropriate images, that sort of thing. I don't know what you think arbiters did before, but nothing has changed.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,081
    Sirentist said:

Dracul said:

To clarify, finding and removing spam is the sole job of an arbiter? Has it changed from before, then?
    Flagging inappropriate posts is the sole "power" that arbiters have on the forum, yes. However there are other aspects of the "job," like biting pirates.
    ftfy geddit geddit?

Ok. I'll leave now
  • ZacywackoZacywacko MemberMember Posts: 1,150
    Good choice of arbiters imo
  • DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
    Sirentist said:

Dracul said:

Flagging inappropriate posts is the sole "power" that arbiters have on the forum, yes. However there are other aspects of the "job," like alerting the admins to things like obvious alts and trolls, or inappropriate wall activity, inappropriate images, that sort of thing. I don't know what you think arbiters did before, but nothing has changed.
    That's exactly the 'before' I was alluding to. The way Mike worded it gave the impression that flagging spam is the only job arbiters have. Either way, Mike agreed with your post, so I'd assume that nothing has changed.

Either way, the existence of a role that restricts judgment of such clear cut issues to itself is still odd. Of course, the existence of an arbiter only forum section wherein things like arguments and unruly players are discussed is still to be considered. I'd assume its purpose would be for admins to ask for arbiters' input, and that, in and of itself, is arguably a privilege of its own.

Enough on that tangent, though. Everywhen's post, at the very least, clarified some things on why this was happening. If nothing has changed, then I'd assume that the definition of a 'dodgy' post is still those clear cut enough to be mentioned in the ToS. As odd as I find the notion of more arbiters is in dealing with such things, it isn't really that big of a problem. I trust that choosing arbiters is a careful enough process that those who try and invalidate others' thoughts and experiences of the game will not come through.

• EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,081
    edited February 25
    Dracul said:

Sirentist said:

Dracul said:

That's exactly the 'before' I was alluding to. The way Mike worded it gave the impression that flagging spam is the only job arbiters have. Either way, Mike agreed with your post, so I'd assume that nothing has changed.

Either way, the existence of a role that restricts judgment of such clear cut issues to itself is still odd. Of course, the existence of an arbiter only forum section wherein things like arguments and unruly players are discussed is still to be considered. I'd assume its purpose would be for admins to ask for arbiters' input, and that, in and of itself, is arguably a privilege of its own.

Enough on that tangent, though. Everywhen's post, at the very least, clarified some things on why this was happening. If nothing has changed, then I'd assume that the definition of a 'dodgy' post is still those clear cut enough to be mentioned in the ToS. As odd as I find the notion of more arbiters is in dealing with such things, it isn't really that big of a problem. I trust that choosing arbiters is a careful enough process that those who try and invalidate others' thoughts and experiences of the game will not come through.

Arbiter section is literally used only for gossiping about dracul discussing if something is in breach of ToS (generally edgy posts that toe the line), suspicion of alt activity (which is then investigated by bytebin before any action is taken) and the reporting of wall post comments, which are unflaggable. Thats it. I would provide a screenshot to prove this to everyone, however we sometimes include names in post titles so to do so would be inappropriate.

In breach of ToS refers to either spambots (ew), people posting stuff they shouldn’t or people crossing the line on their treatment of others (cyberbulliying stuff)

I hope this helps with transparecy. Literally all we’re doing is just talking about Forum ToS breaches. :)
    @Dracul you told ME to stop nitpicking?
    Everywhen said:

Dracul said:

Sirentist said:

Dracul said:

Arbiter section is literally used only for gossiping about dracul discussing if something is in breach of ToS (generally edgy posts that toe the line), suspicion of alt activity (which is then investigated by bytebin before any action is taken) and the reporting of wall post comments, which are unflaggable. Thats it. I would provide a screenshot to prove this to everyone, however we sometimes include names in post titles so to do so would be inappropriate.

In breach of ToS refers to either spambots (ew), people posting stuff they shouldn’t or people crossing the line on their treatment of others (cyberbulliying stuff)

I hope this helps with transparecy. Literally all we’re doing is just talking about Forum ToS breaches. :)
    I see, that actually explains a lot. Thanks Everywhen.
  • AviatrixAviatrix Wardrobe, NarniaMember Posts: 135
    Congrats new arbiters!
    Whoever keeps marking comments on off-topic discussions as off-topic, stop. It’s getting annoying, and you’ll get us all banned.
  • GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,006
    edited March 19

Whoever keeps marking comments on off-topic discussions as off-topic, stop. It’s getting annoying, and you’ll get us all banned.

You won't get banned for getting off-topic'ed
    Also the thread you're referring to isn't off topic

and another note: off topic discussions are about topics that don't have anything to do with the game, however it doesn't mean said discussions don't have a specific topic... if that makes any sense

Some threads are used like general chat and I don't see the problem with off topics being delivered if... the comments are off topic... That's what the button's for

Grebebe said:

and another note: off topic discussions are about topics that don't have anything to do with the game, however it doesn't mean said discussions don't have a specific topic... if that makes any sense

Some threads are used like general chat and I don't see the problem with off topics being delivered if... the comments are off topic... That's what the button's for

Well, it’s still annoying.
  • ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,995

Grebebe said:

Well, it’s still annoying.
    Can't just have things your way because some of ya think it's annoying lol, but I see where you're coming from. I'll see what we can do about it
  • LawyerLawyer Crawling Out Through The FalloutMember Posts: 42
    It’s nice to see that something is being done to keep the community regulated. I’ve witnessed a downward spiral and it looked as if all hope was lost, but hopefully this advancement in administration and moderation will benefit the community and welcome new members. Congratulations.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,115
    Yeah cause marking our messages as offtopic is gonna totally stop us from posting lol. It's a pointless button to begin with, and it's even more pointless to use it.
  • GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,006
    Multarix said:

Yeah cause marking our messages as offtopic is gonna totally stop us from posting lol. It's a pointless button to begin with, and it's even more pointless to use it.

If it doesn't stop you from posting off topic stuff I suppose you won't mind receiving more off topics... after all if it's pointless, why even complain in the first place?
    Grebebe said:

Multarix said:

If it doesn't stop you from posting off topic stuff I suppose you won't mind receiving more off topics... after all if it's pointless, why even complain in the first place?
    ...because it’s pointless. You guys don’t have to start a battle, I was just saying that if a new person comes and sees all the off-topics, they wouldn’t take anyone seriously.
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 708

Grebebe said:

Multarix said:

...because it’s pointless. You guys don’t have to start a battle, I was just saying that if a new person comes and sees all the off-topics, they wouldn’t take anyone seriously.
    I mean, I’ve survived long enough without getting any negative marks whatsoever. It’s not that hard.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,115
    edited March 20
    Grebebe said:

Multarix said:

lol wat. Where was me complaining about it. I simply said "It's a pointless button", and you come in here and try and argue that it's not and that it serves a purpose when it actually literally does nothing. It doesn't result in the user being banned, jailed or otherwise impacted negatively, it doesn't result in anything happening at all and it doesn't prevent the user from doing anything, so why you would feel the need to even mark things as offtopic, or why the button even exists in the first place confuses me. The button literally does nothing.

You may as well go find a button that says "Press me" that results in nothing happening. You've got something wrong with you if you think the button is serving a purpose and you're helping keep the forum clean by pressing it. THIS is why it's pointless, nobody CARES about it, so we don't see WHY it should be there. Don't like that stance? Well deal with it, fact is it's the truth.

If llmmzz hasn't been banned from all of their irrelevance and trolling, it clearly does nothing lol.
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    For someone who doesn't care about the button, you are sure saying a lot of words about it.

If no one truly cares about it, then perhaps it's about time we changed that. It does have several effects at present:

1; it alerts a player that what they typed has taken the discussion off-topic. They SHOULD think twice the next time they post.
    2; it reduces a player's chances of receiving arbitership - this is (was) one of the factors taken into account.
    3; It remains as a permanent mark on a player's account.

However, I'm sure that we could petition for it to have more clout if you would really like. Perhaps you would be happier if it resulted in a temporary ban? I am, of course, being facetious here. The blight on your record should be enough incentive to keep posts on topic.
    edited March 20
    Multarix said:

THIS is why it's pointless, nobody CARES about it

edited March 20
    Yea cause I really care I was the one who totally brought up the discussion in the first place man yeah, another case of people not reading I guess. No I'm siding with the people who brought it up in the first place. Sure temp ban anyone who gets an offtopic, I'm sure that'll encourage new members to join the forum, encourage people to talk to each other and I'm sure it'll help make the forum more active lmao. What a great way to discourage discussions between members and to kill the forum faster.

No, the fact it's useless means it shouldn't be a thing on the forum, secondly I don't think anyone cares about being an arbiter realistically. They're not the forum moderators sad to say, they don't have any true power other than "flag as spam, "flag as offtopic, flag as abuse"... which as for why 2 of those (abuse and spam) are disabled for normal makes even less sense to me than a button that also does nothing..
    Then again as far as I can tell vanilla doesn't really have a feature that allows you to see a report seeing as they're treated like Likes Agrees and Dislikes, that's another topic entirely.

If Arbiters were supposed to have the ability to ban users or punish them, you'd already have those powers.

Also, I really couldn't care less about offtopic marks on my account, feel free to go through and mark every single post I have ever made or will ever make as offtopic if it makes you sleep better at night, Just let me know when you get bored of it.
    edited March 21
    Like tbf half the time I really wish we could lock threads. Because that would solve sooooooo many problems before they even have a chance to arise. (Pulls puppy dog eyes at admins)

Idk what off-topic is meant to achieve serverside, but it does have the functions @AMWhy mentioned.

As I see it:

Breach of ToS - Abuse
    wANnA bUY FakE pAssPOrTs? - Spam
    Pointless/unrelated posting on a thread - Off-Topic

I think Off-Topic should actually have a consequence if you like managed to acrue 20 in a few days or something, but in general it’s the equivalent of an Arbiter poking you and going “psst, please remember to keep on topic in your discussions”.

If we’re talking about the post I think we’re talking about, its quite clear it was a troll post and having a plethora of people announcing that and then complaining about the OP just keeps boosting it to the top of the forums which I believe is why the arbiter flagged them as off-topic because really, they were.

Remember too that most people with abuse/spam/off-topic flags got them back in the days when anyone could use those flags.

Tl;dr off-topic is not the same as spam flag and does have a purpose - a friendly reminder to please help keep the forums on track and less cluttered

Edit: ability to do stuff about wall comments too would be awesome
    Everywhen said:

Like tbf half the time I really wish we could lock threads. Because that would solve sooooooo many problems before they even have a chance to arise. (Pulls puppy dog eyes at admins)

Idk what off-topic is meant to achieve serverside, but it does have the functions @AMWhy mentioned.

As I see it:

Breach of ToS - Abuse
    wANnA bUY FakE pAssPOrTs? - Spam
    Pointless/unrelated posting on a thread - Off-Topic

I think Off-Topic should actually have a consequence if you like managed to acrue 20 in a few days or something, but in general it’s the equivalent of an Arbiter poking you and going “psst, please remember to keep on topic in your discussions”.

If we’re talking about the post I think we’re talking about, its quite clear it was a troll post and having a plethora of people announcing that and then complaining about the OP just keeps boosting it to the top of the forums which I believe is why the arbiter flagged them as off-topic because really, they were.

Remember too that most people with abuse/spam/off-topic flags got them back in the days when anyone could use those flags.

Tl;dr off-topic is not the same as spam flag and does have a purpose - a friendly reminder to please help keep the forums on track and less cluttered

Edit: ability to do stuff about wall comments too would be awesome

ermegher ervrywen take a wok or something

yer so immature for doing yer job

/s
    This argument got off-topic :wink:
    The problem was that an arbiter was marking everyone and anyone who commented on an off-topic discussion as off-topic, even if it was just them telling the person to stop posting useless discussions. Adding punishments for off-topics would just make things worse.
    edited March 21

The problem was that an arbiter was marking everyone and anyone who commented on an off-topic discussion as off-topic, even if it was just them telling the person to stop posting useless discussions. Adding punishments for off-topics would just make things worse.

Yeah i really would have prefered the whole convo just disappear early on either throgh being locked or deleted by Bytebin.

But then everyone kept on trying to have the last word and things just got out of hand

Also @Dracul all of the arbiters are sneakily around doing stuff, I’m just probably the most vocal about it haha

SoemthingsomethijgbigbrotheriswatchingandgeorgeorwellsucksSomething
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182

A closer look at the thread in question and you will see that it was only the off-topic posts that were flagged.

For example, your post: 'Well, if it’s a roller coaster...' was flagged.

Derpdee's post: 'If we all stopped giving into llmmzz with response, llmmzz would go away or stop posting...' was not flagged.

It truly was only the off-topic posts that were flagged. Actually, let me rephrase that: It was only the off-topic posts that were rightly, flagged.