Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Congratulations to our new Arbiters!

13»

Comments

• DraculDracul après moi, le délugeMember Posts: 1,559
    Everywhen said:

This argument got off-topic :wink:
    The problem was that an arbiter was marking everyone and anyone who commented on an off-topic discussion as off-topic, even if it was just them telling the person to stop posting useless discussions. Adding punishments for off-topics would just make things worse.

Also @Dracul all of the arbiters are sneakily around doing stuff, I’m just probably the most vocal about it haha

SoemthingsomethijgbigbrotheriswatchingandgeorgeorwellsucksSomething
    thenn all of u take a wok >:(

/s
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,791
    Aaah and I was wondering why forum gotten so empty. Must be those off topic marks ppl started getting
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,114
    I've gotten a grand total of 8 over idk how many years. I don't particularly care, but if people feel like they're being punished for having a harmless conversation on a meaningless thread yeah ofc they'll stop posting and go find a forum that doesn't punish people. As I said, it's a GREAT way to ecourage people to post anything if they feel it could be taken the wrong way.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,692
    AMWhy said:

This argument got off-topic :wink:
    The problem was that an arbiter was marking everyone and anyone who commented on an off-topic discussion as off-topic, even if it was just them telling the person to stop posting useless discussions. Adding punishments for off-topics would just make things worse.

A closer look at the thread in question and you will see that it was only the off-topic posts that were flagged.

For example, your post: 'Well, if it’s a roller coaster...' was flagged.

Derpdee's post: 'If we all stopped giving into llmmzz with response, llmmzz would go away or stop posting...' was not flagged.

It truly was only the off-topic posts that were flagged. Actually, let me rephrase that: It was only the off-topic posts that were rightly, flagged.
    I wasn’t off-topic of the question/answer being asked.
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    Similar to @ChatotTheParrot, I wrote this earlier but didn't post it. At the time I didn't feel that fuelling the conversation was a good response but after Chatot's post (which I wholeheartedly agree with) I feel that this also needs to be said. The following remarks are in reply to @IronManArcher. I don't plan to reply further on this topic.

Don't try to be smart. The question asked was off-topic and you know it. The response in that situation is no response. Replying simply fuels the thought that off-topic replies are fine when they are not.

Contrary to @Multarix saying people will leave if they can't post off-topic, the opposite is true. People will leave if all threads are off-topic and no meaningful discussions are taking place- regardless of whether a post is marked off-topic or not.
    AMWhy said:

Similar to @ChatotTheParrot, I wrote this earlier but didn't post it. At the time I didn't feel that fuelling the conversation was a good response but after Chatot's post (which I wholeheartedly agree with) I feel that this also needs to be said. The following remarks are in reply to @IronManArcher. I don't plan to reply further on this topic.

Don't try to be smart. The question asked was off-topic and you know it. The response in that situation is no response. Replying simply fuels the thought that off-topic replies are fine when they are not.

Contrary to @Multarix saying people will leave if they can't post off-topic, the opposite is true. People will leave if all threads are off-topic and no meaningful discussions are taking place- regardless of whether a post is marked off-topic or not.

The whole discussion was off-topic! You can’t blame somebody for answering an off-topic question on an off-topic discussion. Also, the area that says what you can mark as off-topic means that you should mark comments that are off-topic of the original discussion. In this case, if the discussion was originally off-topic, the comments are on-topic on an off-topic discussion.
    AMWhy said:

Don't try to be smart.

Are you calling me dumb? I don’t have to TRY to be smart. Everyone’s smart on a certain degree.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,114
    I'm not sure you've seen a forum die as I have.
    Want to see a perfectly on-topic forum that has no real active members?
    http://forum.pixbits.com/

It's not because people are just unable to talk to each other either, but because when the people who are biggest for talking stop visiting, people stop seeing a reason to come back. They have no reason to stay on the forum because there are no conversations or friends to pop in and out to keep a discussion alive.

A forum that's only ever on topic that disallows any kind of off-topic remark results in a drab environment that people will only ever come here to only ever talk about a game discussion, and if there is nothing new to talk about you get a dead forum.
    edited March 22
    Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television, North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe--RYAN STARTED THE FIRE!!!!!

Therefore, acid vats.
    Post edited by Dracul on
    These types of threads, that are pretty much offtopic/ spam threads shouldn't warrant people getting offtopics, maybe a spam on the original poster of the thread if they're continuously making pointless/ useless threads
    Which is what IronManArcher is trying to say. Other threads which are directly and completely related to the game/ something relevant and useful, sure mark offtopic discussions as offtopic IF it gets to a point where the discussion turns into something completely different, don't flag jokes as offtopic.

d294398ccb364a607ce252329d7cf5.png
    629 x 730 - 78K
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453
    Congratulations to all the new arbiters!
  • FishbotFishbot MarsMember Posts: 228
    Congratulations to the new arbiters! There needs to be a badge for becoming an arbiter.
    But if every forum is on-topic 24/7 (without memes or puns), it’ll be like we are robots with a set command to make everything except for jokes. And what’s Deepworld without a few beggars? Every game has them.
  • tjergoztjergoz Member, Arbiter Posts: 5,439

But if every forum is on-topic 24/7 (without memes or puns), it’ll be like we are robots with a set command to make everything except for jokes. And what’s Deepworld without a few beggars? Every game has them.

Again, they merely serve as a warning. Ofcourse it isn’t expected that everyone stays on topic 24/7, and the arbiters are perfectly aware of that. It’s only used if threads are severely derailed.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • RazeRaze Member Posts: 179
    CLOSE THIS THREAD ITS USELESS