Our new Space Biome update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Is Deepworld a role playing game? Adventures?

ForestGumpForestGump Member Posts: 49
edited April 11 in Questions
Okie this is totally random,I was wondering why Deepworld is not gaining a lot of players when it should ,When I checked on App Store ,Dw was under role playing category.Role playing games are boring to most people (my opinion).Could it effect the popularity of the game?

I did a little bit research
I looked at terria,Growtopia and Minecraft to see what category there on in (AppStore) They we’re under Adventures/Action category.
Their really poping games or were popular games.
So what’s my point?
Why is Deepworld on role playing category if it fits adventures more.Just like the other 3 games I listed,There’s a similarity on all of them.
If Deepworld was under the adventures list,Could it make a little difference?
I’m just wondering,On steam it’s says dw is a adventures game.
Could Deepworld be changed to the adventure category? by developers of course

I really care about Deepworld ,what you guys think?
This was a random thought that came to mind when I was thinking duh
Deepworld is a good 2D game,I’m not comparing dw to any other game.Deepworld stands out ,in a good way.

Edited:I’m not saying Deepworld at the moment is not doing good or anything,I love the game!

Comments

• ChickenChicken Jokes vs Quotes Member Posts: 1,253
    edited April 11
    To me, Deepworld IS a role playing game. We play the role of survivors in a steampunk world.

In those other games, where your character is, and who your character is is up to you. There is no role that is chosen for you. You do you.

In deepworld, we are people surviving in a steampunk world. That is the role we play. Although, adventuring has a bigger part to play in the game than the role playing part. So, maybe we should be in adventure category. hmmmm
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 1,635
    Advenplay, obviously.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 2,965
    Deepworld is an MMO sandbox. It's not really an RPG, but because it's a sandbox, that means you can do whatever you want - including role play.
    RPG as we know it, is when you make up a story and pretend that's what's happening while you and your friends play along to it.

Deepworld has a story, and yes you could say you're roleplaying survivors, but that's fact and theme. Steampunk Survival.

Deepworld should very much be in the Adventure Category.
  • ForestGumpForestGump Member Posts: 49

Yes,I was just wondering why was deepworld as a role playing game in the App Store,When adventures connects to it the most.

I get that the fact we are survivors in a steampunk world,But RPG doesn’t fit
    deepworld.Deepworld is more then a story :p
    Deepworld should change from a RPG to Adventures.
    I’m pretty sure developers can change the category of their game.

Adventures fits Deepworld more ,Who Agrees?
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Hi, I'm Robin.Member Posts: 915
    In my opinion a open world MMO is really any subgenre you make it. It has many traits of adventure, roleplaying, combat, platforming, side scrolling, arcade like gameplay and many other genres I could list. It's a sandbox if you can only classify it as one thing though. MMO's are really never just one category and I think that statement can easily be backed up by thinking about all you can do in Deepworld, because it has no true goal and its story is lacking.

Now on the thing about new players, I think really the only reason IOS or PC sees no new people is due to how indie this game really is. It updates very slowly and its apparent its community has died down. I don't know about others but I personally don't like to try a new game I know is dying off unless I had previously played it. Don't get me wrong, I love Deepworld and its concepts and all the neat features and mechanics it brings to the table, but the way it has operated the last couple years its apparent why this games stayed relatively small. I think the only way Deepworld could really pick up its fan base again is with the release of Android and possibly consoles. The game is created in Unity currently so all that would be required is cross platform compatibility. I also would like to note the PC version is severely lacking features and that's why it has such horrible Steam ratings and has virtually faded out of the free to play section on there.

In short I don't think its genre has anything to do with it, I think its really just due to the state Deepworlds in currently.

In my opinion a open world MMO is really any subgenre you make it. It has many traits of adventure, roleplaying, combat, platforming, side scrolling, arcade like gameplay and many other genres I could list. It's a sandbox if you can only classify it as one thing though. MMO's are really never just one category and I think that statement can easily be backed up by thinking about all you can do in Deepworld, because it has no true goal and its story is lacking.

Now on the thing about new players, I think really the only reason IOS or PC sees no new people is due to how indie this game really is. It updates very slowly and its apparent its community has died down. I don't know about others but I personally don't like to try a new game I know is dying off unless I had previously played it. Don't get me wrong, I love Deepworld and its concepts and all the neat features and mechanics it brings to the table, but the way it has operated the last couple years its apparent why this games stayed relatively small. I think the only way Deepworld could really pick up its fan base again is with the release of Android and possibly consoles. The game is created in Unity currently so all that would be required is cross platform compatibility. I also would like to note the PC version is severely lacking features and that's why it has such horrible Steam ratings and has virtually faded out of the free to play section on there.

In short I don't think its genre has anything to do with it, I think its really just due to the state Deepworlds in currently.

They're talking about the app store genre and how DW is under roleplay
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Hi, I'm Robin.Member Posts: 915

And did I not reply back to that question? I talked about how the genre was incorrect and how its not the problem and how the problem of new people not joining isn't the genre but rather what the games states in.

Read the whole paragraph someone says next time before trying to say their post is unrelated please, thanks.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 2,965

And did I not reply back to that question? I talked about how the genre was incorrect and how its not the problem and how the problem of new people not joining isn't the genre but rather what the games states in.

Read the whole paragraph someone says next time before trying to say their post is unrelated please, thanks.
    Don't mind him, he's still in a floof that half his posts are marked as offtopic and hasn't quite gotten over it yet.
    Multarix said:

Don't mind him, he's still in a floof that half his posts are marked as offtopic and hasn't quite gotten over it yet.
    Watch, this comment will be marked. Also, you don’t need to right a paragraph whenever anyone is wrong, and where did I say it was unrelated?
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 958
    Sometimes people ruin other peoples rolrplaying fun in the peak of emotions :)
    But on the bright side, skittles is ALLIIIVE!
    ABB986C4-2811-4120-9A79-3B3D347FE8C2.png
    2048 x 1536 - 3M
  • ForestGumpForestGump Member Posts: 49

I see what your saying,and it’s making sense.Deepworld lack of updates,development,or communication is the reason dw is at this state.

I’m not bashing dw.I believe in deepworld developers and the community,We will be relevant once again,Might not be at this second but shortly.

The genre still bothers me :p
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 661
    I kinda agree that the genre is what you make of it.
    For new players, it's probably survival above most else. Once you get skill points, it's more about following your interests, whether it be exploration, building, collecting or combat.