Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

How to prevent cheating in DW on iOS

tr4nsf0rmertr4nsf0rmer Member Posts: 210
edited May 2 in Feedback and Game Ideas
@mikelaurence @jsonperl @lisa

So, since cheating in DW became loud and some players got banned in addition with some IP banns, which could be bypassed with VPN, the developers should start thinking about securing the game not only on the server(s), but also on players devices.
There are plenty of games and apps with security against jailbreakers, like Fortnite and other Bank apps.
Fortnite has a very good security against jailbreakers, because for it to run, people need to remove EVERYTHING on device, that has to do with jailbreak. But in my humble opinion this is a little bit unethical, not only because people who are not very familiar with jailbreak can get into unexpected troubles while removing it, but also because people like me use the jailbreak to turn our devices from a brick into a tool we want.
The best solution would be the way the Bank apps have set up their anti-jailbreak security.
The most of them are checking if CydiaSubstrate or the new Substitute are running, as there is almost no way to bypass the detection of those, except if you turn them off.
By turning them off no tweaks / jailbreak depending changes will work.

It’s up to developers to choose in which way they want to apply the security measures, I’m just here to give an idea.

[Included a picture of a crash report, which detected frameworks mentioned above running]
Post edited by tr4nsf0rmer on
E36AD7A0-B613-45B9-AB68-CF4BA76DDDF0.jpeg
750 x 1334 - 517K

Comments

• IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,129
    edited May 2
    Great idea! Though I haven't seen any cheaters/exploiters yet in my game, I think this would be good for when someone DOES bump into one. And maybe llmmzz would stop making pointless threads accusing well-known players. Well, maybe not, but still, great idea!
  • Monsieur_JackMonsieur_Jack California-ParisMember Posts: 251
    I always told you that you are clever, splendid!
    Wanker said:

Fortnite is best!

They copied PubG
  • RazeRaze Member Posts: 172

Looking into this right now, I know it sucks. We’ll have some new safeguards wth the next build.

ALSO STOP FLEX 3
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,042
    edited May 3
    Why do people instantly think jailbreaking is the cause of all problems. You can very much install patches and other things without the need to jailbreak. If anyone remembers the GBA4IOS stuff ages back, you should know this already.

Oh and for the record, as for there being "no way to avoid the detection of cydia substrate" do you really think, that people wouldn't create a patch to negate that part of the apps code if they really wanted to?

The best solution is server side, not client side. If the game runs client side you'll always have issues. Packet Editing and other potential exploits will always be available.
  • tr4nsf0rmertr4nsf0rmer Member Posts: 210
    edited May 3
    Multarix said:

“The best solution is server side, not client side. If the game runs client side you'll always have issues.”

“Oh and for the record, as for there being "no way to avoid the detection of cydia substrate" do you really think, that people wouldn't create a patch to negate that part of the apps code if they really wanted to?”

I have several account banns and IP ban, still playing.

If there will be no booleans in the “jailbreak-detecting” method or simple integers, it will be hard to patch that, as the Flex tool is only tracking the DW executer with some other iDevice’s libraries
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,042

Multarix said:

Why do people instantly think jailbreaking is the cause of all problems. You can very much install patches and other things without the need to jailbreak. If anyone remembers the GBA4IOS stuff ages back, you should know this already.

Oh and for the record, as for there being "no way to avoid the detection of cydia substrate" do you really think, that people wouldn't create a patch to negate that part of the apps code if they really wanted to?

The best solution is server side, not client side. If the game runs client side you'll always have issues. Packet Editing and other potential exploits will always be available.

I have several account banns and IP ban, still playing
    Well of course, vpn's allow you to practically change location IP bans mean little to nothing. A UDID ban would be more effective, it'd literally stop that device from playing
    Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Well of course, vpn's allow you to practically change location IP bans mean little to nothing. A UDID ban would be more effective, it'd literally stop that device from playing
    Not effective, there is a way to spoof UDID

Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Indeed but if you don't tell them they're udid banned they won't know.
    As well, THAT is only doable by a jailbroken device.
    Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Multarix said:

Multarix said:

That’s the thing I’m trying to tell, if the detector checks for frameworks which inject exploits into the iDevice, there would be no sense for UDID bans
    But in thay situation they only need to change their IP/ VPN to a different location. No, stopping people with jailbroken devices will not your solution. The only effective solution will be to add server side solutions. Eg the server knows how long it takes to break a block with x item, if you go faster than that the block reappears for the client etc.

This may cause some players to rubberband if they have poor connections or other potentially annoying problems, but if you're really concerned over fixing people exploiting your game, this is basically the only option.
  • llmmzzllmmzz Member Posts: 567

Looking into this right now, I know it sucks. We’ll have some new safeguards wth the next build.

@mikelaurence Set a password for the protector.
    This is very necessary,
    Because my protector already be mined(dug) by some one , i even dont who done this and who can do this .

So, since cheating in DW became loud and some players got banned in addition with some IP banns, which could be bypassed with VPN, the developers should start thinking about securing the game not only on the server(s), but also on players devices.
    There are plenty of games and apps with security against jailbreakers, like Fortnite and other Bank apps.
    Fortnite has a very good security against jailbreakers, because for it to run, people need to remove EVERYTHING on device, that has to do with jailbreak. But in my humble opinion this is a little bit unethical, not only because people who are not very familiar with jailbreak can get into unexpected troubles while removing it, but also because people like me use the jailbreak to turn our devices from a brick into a tool we want.
    The best solution would be the way the Bank apps have set up their anti-jailbreak security.
    The most of them are checking if CydiaSubstrate or the new Substitute are running, as there is almost no way to bypass the detection of those, except if you turn them off.

It’s up to developers to choose in which way they want to apply the security measures, I’m just here to give an idea.

[Included a picture of a crash report, which detected frameworks mentioned above running]

Aren't you a supporter of cheating? Why do you feel so unnatural today?
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Member Posts: 2,878
    llmmzz said:

idk pal why do you feel so stupid every day?

llmmzz said:

idk pal why do you feel so stupid every day?
    oh itdenisz , why your friends against you,this is a bigger question.
    llmmzz said:

oh itdenisz , why your friends against you,this is a bigger question.

Uh, we’re all defending him in that other discussion.
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 678
    Enough.

Message each other, message bytebin, I don't care. Stop bringing it onto the forums.