Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Exploders must be stopped!

2»

Comments

• MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,019
    You don't even need to use a touchplate tbh. Just use a giant mechanical switch. It's got nothing to do with people supposed to be dying or not. It's literally only caused by a mass amount of exploders trying to go off at the same time, a switch allows you to spam the hell out of it so you require less of them. I literally wrote this out before as to why it happens, idk why people still think it's anything to do with rendering the explosions, rendering is device and fps lag. Very different thing to the server kicking everyone due to a lack of processing power. They were not designed to handle 150+ exploders going off at once.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 3,879

As far as I remember, I have one placed in Mewtopia, my world, marked by a plaque. However, due to my inability to play right now and that being a long time ago, I don’t remember if there is a chance that I may have removed it, but I believe not

ETA: mike, just connect as much explorers as you can to a switch or touchplate, you’re gonna experience the feeling of being a lag machine builder for yourself

The point of the lag machine is not to place many of them, it wouldn’t affect players that don’t render the explosions.
    The way the machine works is:
    You connect a touch plate to an exploder and let a terrapus (or idk if other creatures work) activate the touch plate that should activate the exploder, which should blow you up, after this happens, all other player‘s game crashes.

I found a connection of this to the bug:

GameCommandEntityStatus
    -(id) validArrayDataDescriptor

I don’t know what the Arrays contain, but if you set it to (NULL) or [Nx][Nx][Sx][Dx] instead of [Nx][Nx][Sx]N[Dx] (it will have the same effect), no Entity’s along with players will show up, as well as the crash won’t occur.
    @mikelaurence
    It doesn’t have to be another mob, nor has it to be a touchplate, I’ve been lagging people long before you ever heard of this machine, but good thing is that I stopped, ever since the job became crowded by trolls, which means that I’m no longer cool for doing it.
  • tr4nsf0rmertr4nsf0rmer Member Posts: 205
    edited June 13

As far as I remember, I have one placed in Mewtopia, my world, marked by a plaque. However, due to my inability to play right now and that being a long time ago, I don’t remember if there is a chance that I may have removed it, but I believe not

ETA: mike, just connect as much explorers as you can to a switch or touchplate, you’re gonna experience the feeling of being a lag machine builder for yourself

The point of the lag machine is not to place many of them, it wouldn’t affect players that don’t render the explosions.
    You connect a touch plate to an exploder and let a terrapus (or idk if other creatures work) activate the touch plate that should activate the exploder, which should blow you up, after this happens, all other player‘s game crashes.

GameCommandEntityStatus

I don’t know what the Arrays contain, but if you set it to (NULL) or [Nx][Nx][Sx][Dx] instead of [Nx][Nx][Sx]N[Dx] (it will have the same effect), no Entity’s along with players will show up, as well as the crash won’t occur.
    @mikelaurence
    It doesn’t have to be another mob, nor has it to be a touchplate, I’ve been lagging people long before you ever heard of this machine, but good thing is that I stopped, ever since the job became crowded by trolls, which means that I’m no longer cool for doing it.
    imageimage
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,037

GameCommandEntityStatus

@mikelaurence
    imageimage
    Please actually read Brain’s comment before trying to prove it wrong.

It doesn’t have to be another mob, nor has it to be a touchplate

• ForestGumpForestGump In space..Member Posts: 163

GameCommandEntityStatus

@mikelaurence
    imageimage
    This summarized everything .
    You see exploders and you see something has died from it and you see on the left
    People lagging out of the game cuz of it

GameCommandEntityStatus

@mikelaurence
    imageimage
    This summarized everything .
    You see exploders and you see something has died from it and you see on the left
    People lagging out of the game cuz of it
    But it doesn’t disprove Brain’s point.
  • Hydroblade29Hydroblade29 Member Posts: 1,815
    Actually you don’t need a mass amount of exploders to lag people out. I’m also guilty of making a lag machine in unexplored worlds. Even 2 exploders, a touchplate and or switch, and a terrapi source could lag out an entire world.
    edited June 14
    Just make exploders only placeable by world owners
    Problem solved-

Just make exploders only placeable by world owners
    Problem solved-

But then that would be kinda dumb for people building in public worlds. Maybe just find the problem in the server storage or whatever and patch it up.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 40

Detech said:

Why not just make exploders not lag people out?

Not quite sure that’s possible. The only way to “not lag people out” is to not have explorers in the first place. Think about it like a virus, a virus spreads through your computer and overloads your system by multiplying itself causing your computer to slow down or even shut down your computer. Multiple exploders cause a huge slowdown because the game has to process the activation of all of them together, and doing it repeatedly can force the game to shut down due to the inability to handle the pressure caused by the exploders. I would just recommend if this starts happening in a random world that you leave immediately before being trapped in a cycle of crashing.
    I can tell you right now from experience, it isn't the amount of times they go off. It has to do with how many go off at once. My friend Acid4 and I used to spam as many as we could in our own world and screw with it to see what we could do, all it took was one touchplate activation and we were both booted off.

So if you want this problem fixed, it certainly can't be done by reducing the number of exploders per world, because farm worlds would start to fizzle out...
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,019
    Ivory said:

Detech said:

Why not just make exploders not lag people out?

Not quite sure that’s possible. The only way to “not lag people out” is to not have explorers in the first place. Think about it like a virus, a virus spreads through your computer and overloads your system by multiplying itself causing your computer to slow down or even shut down your computer. Multiple exploders cause a huge slowdown because the game has to process the activation of all of them together, and doing it repeatedly can force the game to shut down due to the inability to handle the pressure caused by the exploders. I would just recommend if this starts happening in a random world that you leave immediately before being trapped in a cycle of crashing.
    I can tell you right now from experience, it isn't the amount of times they go off. It has to do with how many go off at once. My friend Acid4 and I used to spam as many as we could in our own world and screw with it to see what we could do, all it took was one touchplate activation and we were both booted off.

So if you want this problem fixed, it certainly can't be done by reducing the number of exploders per world, because farm worlds would start to fizzle out...
    Remember the afk brain farms I used to make? Those used about 8 exploders per farm. The only real solution is to either optimise the part of the code that manages exploders (I say this but it may already be very well optimised), or to increase the power of the servers, which.. probably isn't the most cost effective way to solve this issue.

Limiting protectors to worlds over say 95% or even requiring 100% could also be another option for this.

Another solution although very unpopular could be to limit the amount of exploders that can be linked to the one switch/ touchplate, or even have exploders not work if say more than ~5-10 are linked to the one switch (tbh realistically it'd make more sense cause each exploder requires steam, using that many at once would/ should consume a lot of steam).

There are probably a few other solutions that are equally effective, but the problem of course is picking the best solution and then coding them which may or may not take awhile.

Oh also, if things dying to a single exploder is kicking people from the world, that's not a lag machine, that's a crash machine and is an semi-unrelated bug.
  • WalrusLordWalrusLord bMember Posts: 30

GameCommandEntityStatus

@mikelaurence
    Where are you editing the code from? Are you sure you're supposed to be doing that?
  • ChickenChicken help i’m being eaten Member Posts: 1,315
    edited June 14

Can someone point me to a functional, protected lag machine that I can test?

@mikelaurence there is one at Trade City at 79 West 280 down. It’s been there for a while and it still works. It’s protected so us players can’t destroy it.
    56E347CA-B959-4F52-85C1-BB30DA943667.jpeg
    1334 x 750 - 207K
    5BC635F1-0E26-4FB0-A445-522042A1FE78.png
    1334 x 750 - 2M
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,181
    Fixed.

(*I think!)
    edited June 16

Fixed.

(*I think!)

I will check