Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

A Note on Item Duplication

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,286
After seeing a lot of noise on possible item duplication, I did some thorough investigating. It turns out, yes, some players were using an exploit to duplicate items.

I don't need to explain why this is a serious problem, so I'm just going to describe what I'm doing about it.

1. I removed duplicated inventory from offending players. They will not be banned right now because this was not technically "hacking". HOWEVER, now that this is a known issue, any player caught attempting it in the future will be BANNED.
2. Any players who discuss techniques for duplicating / patching / hacking / etc. will be WARNED and then BANNED if they keep it up.
3. I've added new protections to prevent this from happening again, and I've added some watching scripts to automatically notify me if anything looks fishy.

It's extremely dispiriting when I have to spend my Deepworld development time dealing with cheaters and problems instead of making new things. If you ever know of an exploit, please share it with me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE so we don't have to waste our time with this again, and I can focus on fun new things for everyone to enjoy.

Comments

• MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,096
    Thank you for keeping us informed about this mike.
  • HeroHero Member Posts: 6
    are you aware of the trade system not letting us give freely? just wanted to let you know incase you didn't know
  • AMENAZZYAMENAZZY Member Posts: 37
    None of my items are removed :)
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 694
    Thank you for checking this out, and addressing it so quickly after it was raised!
  • ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 848
    Glad this is finally resolved
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 604
    AMENAZZY said:

None of my items are removed :)

Bruh
  • MihirGamesMihirGames Hiding from the supernova in spaceMember Posts: 208
    Thank you!
  • AquaPhynnAquaPhynn Member, Arbiter Posts: 2,185
    Here’s an idea, why not make hunter heads the daily loot/ make them common?
    Then all these people who have become ‘super rich’ from this exploit will be worth nothing :))
  • SimplinSimplin Member Posts: 52
    AquaPhynn said:

Here’s an idea, why not make hunter heads the daily loot/ make them common?
    Then all these people who have become ‘super rich’ from this exploit will be worth nothing :))

Players became rich by selling the Hunters to unsuspecting players like me for hundreds of onyx each. Punishing those victims and those that found / bought this item before this debacle started would hardly make sense.

• SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,765
    What about all the alt accounts that the duping players dumped their duped items into? Or the friends that are "storing" duped items for them?
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,765
    Or perhaps there's a way to flag certain items by date, so players can tell an original from a dupe. Who knows, maybe someday duped onyx, platinum, and hunter heads could become collectors' items in themselves!
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,419
    Sirentist said:

Or perhaps there's a way to flag certain items by date, so players can tell an original from a dupe. Who knows, maybe someday duped onyx, platinum, and hunter heads could become collectors' items in themselves!

Great, now I want a duped hunter head. Anyone got any spare onyx?
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,096
    The best bet would be a rollback on all accounts and worlds to before these duplicated items started appearing... but I doubt that will happen.

If any of your items disappeared/ you feel weird about an item you have being potential duped (assuming mike wiped only the duplicators items), then you should pm mike directly about the situation. I'm sure some kind of agreement/ understanding could be made to rectify any issues.

It's sad that cleanup makes all of this a lot more annoying then it needed to be.
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 604
    So how are we able to give freely cuz it all it says is invalid command and we can’t do it anymore
  • CleoAdkins007CleoAdkins007 Land of OzMember Posts: 1,142
    mofc1991 said:

So how are we able to give freely cuz it all it says is invalid command and we can’t do it anymore

Many players have taken to initiating a trade with the item(s) they want to give for free and asking for an earth block. It's more long-winded, but a good temporary solution nonetheless.
  • Bastian7Bastian7 Between WorldsMember Posts: 384
    I’m thoroughly disgusted with this game...
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 998
    Out of knowing that client side modding is all of a sudden prevalent in Deepworld, I'm curious to know, are protectors server side or client side? Should I pick up my valuables and stash them in my inventory or should I not worry about anything being mined?
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,061

Out of knowing that client side modding is all of a sudden prevalent in Deepworld, I'm curious to know, are protectors server side or client side? Should I pick up my valuables and stash them in my inventory or should I not worry about anything being mined?

I’d guess server-side as I can see it being far easier for the universal protection rather than client side
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,286

Server side.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,011
    What if someone already traded away a duped item to someone for an object of high value?
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 694
    Okay so apparently I might have been premature in thanking the issue for being resolved. I've heard that the duplicates that got traded away didn't disappear, and this is causing in-game prices to drop for some items such as hunter head. I've hopped onto a market world and people are actually extremely angry. Because not only did these people duplicate items and imbalance the game for some valuable items (people shelled out hard-earned onyx for these fakes), but they haven't been banned. The injustice is rankling and I can't blame people for getting angry.

I'm honestly not sure how to go about solving this. The most just way is probably time consuming. Track the people who were duped into trading for fakes, get rid of the fakes and return whatever items they traded away for it. It sounds labour-intensive to me but maybe it's the only way to repair the damage that's been done to the honest players.
  • WhatsHisHeadWhatsHisHead | Deepgate //Member Posts: 118
    I would say leave all these "fake" items in the market because it would be too hard to track them all down. I also think we as a community should work together to track down the duplicators and turn them in for their crimes. What they have done is unforgivable due to the sheer magnitude of damage it has caused to the IG economy.
  • FishbotFishbot MarsMember Posts: 210
    how you can tell if fake it is? does it no have icon for item?
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,419
    When there’s some high price... that’s goin’ down... who ya gonna call? DUPE HUNTERS!!
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,011
    Fishbot said:

how you can tell if fake it is? does it no have icon for item?

You don’t. The devs do
    can i have a duped dirt so i can experiment on it? like see if i can glitch through it and shoot through it?
    what if dirt is actually onyx