Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

World Moderators

IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
edited September 23 in Feedback and Game Ideas
Hey howdy! It’s that time of year again where I start having good ideas. I shall present my first one with a story...

Once upon a time, there was a player who called himself Barnabus. He saw a player making an inappropriate building, but couldn’t do anything about it because the reporting system is kinda dumb. The end.

Now introducing... World Moderators! This group of players will play the game normally, traveling from world to world, but they have the power to kick players from a world for a bit, and to report builds to Mike, Lisa, or any other devs/admins by tapping on the protector in question. If there’s no protector, then they could take a screenshot right there in the game, and it would be sent in a message to the dev/admin. These players would be chosen by the dev/admin. Your thoughts?

Comments

• TescosTescos SawConMember Posts: 124
    Maybe a couple of years ago, no one really builds innapropriate stuff anymore
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    Tescos said:

Then you have not been in any of the new worlds. There are inappropriate plaques galore, people using emotes to do some not very pleasant actions, and people using balloons to build all the wrong things.
    @mikelaurence what do you think?
  • ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 883
    How will someone get moderator privilieges tho

Tescos said:

Then you have not been in any of the new worlds. There are inappropriate plaques galore, people using emotes to do some not very pleasant actions, and people using balloons to build all the wrong things.
    You said buildings I didnt think you meant plaques and emotes. My b
    edited September 24
    Tescos said:

Tescos said:

Yeah, I should’ve worded it better. They’re basically forum moderators, but for the game.
    Electrox said:

Mike, Lisa, or another dev/admin would choose them.
  • AlphastormAlphastorm A higher plane of existence.Member Posts: 540
    Whew, I'd love for something like this. I see a lot of offensive plaques and such whenever I log in, it'd be nice to do something about it.
  • ForestGumpForestGump Living On A Forest rn, Hbu?Member Posts: 290
    Good idea , but it should be a secret
  • WhatsHisHeadWhatsHisHead // Deepgate //Member Posts: 162

Tescos said:

Tescos said:

Yeah, I should’ve worded it better. They’re basically forum moderators, but for the game.
    Electrox said:

Well yea... lol. He means what prerequisites does one need to be ellagable to qualify for the job.

Tescos said:

Tescos said:

Electrox said:

Well yea... lol. He means what prerequisites does one need to be ellagable to qualify for the job.
    They need to be trustworthy, helpful, and, uh, not naughty.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 92
    Tescos said:

That and I really don't feel like having players in the forums AND in the game with the ability to kick or delete things, because many of the people here will likely let their bias or personal feelings get in the way.

For example, being extremely nit-picky with a particular player over a friend since he annoyed you once or twice in the past, so now you will try to nail them for anything within miles of offensive or disruptive.
    edited September 30
    Ivory said:

Tescos said:

That and I really don't feel like having players in the forums AND in the game with the ability to kick or delete things, because many of the people here will likely let their bias or personal feelings get in the way.

For example, being extremely nit-picky with a particular player over a friend since he annoyed you once or twice in the past, so now you will try to nail them for anything within miles of offensive or disruptive.
    That’s why the people chosen will be unbiased : P

No matter what some people may think, we need moderation in the game. Some players are very childish, and do things that actual children shouldn’t be exposed to (plaques, people saying extremely inappropriate things, building rude and innapropriate builds, etc). We could also use an update to the chat filter.
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 1,013

Ivory said:

Tescos said:

No matter what some people may think, we need moderation in the game. Some players are very childish, and do things that actual children shouldn’t be exposed to (plaques, people saying extremely inappropriate things, building rude and innapropriate builds, etc). We could also use an update to the chat filter.
    Well, when you sign up you agree you aren't a child, so that doesn't make much sense to me I guess. I think being able to moderate your very own world and being able to place everything from a protector back to a players inventory is perfectly reasonable, but let peoples worlds be, they spent the money on the world, don't remove it because it doesn't fit your ethics.

Ivory said:

Tescos said:

Well, when you sign up you agree you aren't a child, so that doesn't make much sense to me I guess. I think being able to moderate your very own world and being able to place everything from a protector back to a players inventory is perfectly reasonable, but let peoples worlds be, they spent the money on the world, don't remove it because it doesn't fit your ethics.
    They would moderate public worlds.
    Multarix said:

As someone who doesn't exactly play deepworld, I fit the description of this job perfectly.

> Never online
    > No idea who people are
    > Will happily kick people from worlds
    And most importantly will never respond to your support tickets.

Jokes aside, it's hard to pick someone who is never bias unless well... they don't play the game. They'll pick the side that they deem to be right. Also before someone screams at me I'm the worst candidate ever and that they'd do a better job, I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking.

Precisely. It's already easy enough to load up the game for the first time and lie about being 13+, god knows how easy it is to say you don't have bias, because everyone on Earth does. Since a chosen person will have been playing for awhile they will have already built up biases, and that long play time + bias will be hard to detach from since it's what helps make choices.
    Ivory said:

Multarix said:

As someone who doesn't exactly play deepworld, I fit the description of this job perfectly.

> Never online
    > No idea who people are

Jokes aside, it's hard to pick someone who is never bias unless well... they don't play the game. They'll pick the side that they deem to be right. Also before someone screams at me I'm the worst candidate ever and that they'd do a better job, I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking.

Precisely. It's already easy enough to load up the game for the first time and lie about being 13+, god knows how easy it is to say you don't have bias, because everyone on Earth does. Since a chosen person will have been playing for awhile they will have already built up biases, and that long play time + bias will be hard to detach from since it's what helps make choices.
    I know a few people who don’t hold grudges.
    Multarix said:

Ivory said:

Multarix said:

> Never online
    > No idea who people are

Holding a grudge or not has got nothing to do with a bias.
    Close enough.

Ivory said:

Multarix said:

> Never online
    > No idea who people are

A grudge isn't a bias
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,081
    Honestly, it depends on what kind of moderation style Bytebin would want to implement.

Is it a no-nonsense strict style, or a more relaxed friendly warning style? Because consistency in moderation is extremely important, especially when it could lead to bans and loss of accounts where money was spent.

I think it would be more important to write moderation guidelines/regulations before even considering people to fill the role.

The people should adapt to the role, rather than the role being created based on the people.
    edited October 3
    Everywhen said:

Honestly, it depends on what kind of moderation style Bytebin would want to implement.

Is it a no-nonsense strict style, or a more relaxed friendly warning style? Because consistency in moderation is extremely important, especially when it could lead to bans and loss of accounts where money was spent.

I think it would be more important to write moderation guidelines/regulations before even considering people to fill the role.

The people should adapt to the role, rather than the role being created based on the people.

My idea was that it would be just like the Forums moderation, but reporting protectors and kicking players instead.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,115
    Honestly mike should think long and hard about giving anyone any kind of ability to affect anyone else's game, via kicking, banning or anything else.

Perhaps kicking from public worlds isn't a super bad thing, as games will always have that toxic player that decides to appear every now and then, but it still opens the possibility to cause problems if a person abuses it
    Multarix said:

Honestly mike should think long and hard about giving anyone any kind of ability to affect anyone else's game, via kicking, banning or anything else.

Perhaps kicking from public worlds isn't a super bad thing, as games will always have that toxic player that decides to appear every now and then, but it still opens the possibility to cause problems if a person abuses it

New idea... moderator moderators!
  • Slava_RossiyaSlava_Rossiya Member Posts: 63

Multarix said:

New idea! No world moderators! The game isn’t in need for one as of current. Unless you want to ban every single player with whatever’s left of people that play Deepworld. There will always be bad in good, and good in bad. Trying to censor or take one out will lead to problems. If this is what you want, then Deepworld should create an automatic ban system with any word considered “taboo” if said by any player. Sounds ridiculous, right? Dont kid yourself.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesMember Posts: 3,115
    I have to agree I don't particularly see the point at this time either.

Perhaps if anyone we need 1 or 2 moderators but I doubt we need an entire fleet.
    And I'd probably be saying just give Everywhen and Siren those perms... IF they are 100% needed. They look after our forum and they're pretty fair..
    edited October 4

Multarix said:

New idea! No world moderators! The game isn’t in need for one as of current. Unless you want to ban every single player with whatever’s left of people that play Deepworld. There will always be bad in good, and good in bad. Trying to censor or take one out will lead to problems. If this is what you want, then Deepworld should create an automatic ban system with any word considered “taboo” if said by any player. Sounds ridiculous, right? Dont kid yourself.
    New idea! You learn how to take a joke!

The moderators idea was... an idea. If you’ve played recently, which, as established in the discussion where you accused Mofc of cheating, you haven’t, you would have seen lots of things that need moderation. There are people building things related to WW2 (anything I type is replaced with EBL), people making racist jokes, and 24/7 swearing. Those are only a few things that I’ve seen, and this environment is not very pleasant when trying to mine or build in a public world.
    Post edited by IronManArcher on
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,887

Multarix said:

New idea! You learn how to take a joke!

The moderators idea was... an idea. If you’ve played recently, which, as established in the discussion where you accused Mofc of cheating, you haven’t, you would have seen lots of things that need moderation. There are people building things related to WW2 (anything I type is replaced with EBL), people making racist jokes, and 24/7 swearing. Those are only a few things that I’ve seen, and this environment is not very pleasant when trying to mine or build in a public world.
    I think you are mixing @Slava_Rossiya up with someone else? Meanwhile, I think the rest of your comment is a fair assessment of the general chat activity in public worlds.
    Multarix said:

I have to agree I don't particularly see the point at this time either.

Perhaps if anyone we need 1 or 2 moderators but I doubt we need an entire fleet.
    And I'd probably be saying just give Everywhen and Siren those perms... IF they are 100% needed. They look after our forum and they're pretty fair..

Why give it to 2 people who are never in public worlds?
This discussion has been closed.