Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Competitive Minigaming

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,349
Testing out the quarry minigames has been fun thus far. Obviously there are still some kinks to work out, but I like the feeling of adrenaline it brings to the game.

I've done some work to expand the competitive aspect a little more, and I hope to launch that very shortly. Here's a summary of what to look out for:

COMING SOON:

We're going to start by testing out Elo ratings for minigames. If you've played Overwatch or PubG or any other games like that, you might be familiar with basic skill rating (SR) play. But here's an overview:

1. The first handful of games you play (approximately 5-10) are "qualifying games", where your starting skill rating is assessed.
2. When your qualification is over, you receive a skill rating (a number between 1-1000, for example), and a corresponding skill rank (Iron, Brass, Sapphire, etc.)
3. As you continue to play, your score goes up or down depending on how well you do. If you do well, you can bump yourself up into the next rank. We also track your "season high" skill rating, which is a nice thing to remember if your luck goes south for a while :D

Elo ratings involve some math that I don't really understand, but the gist of it is:
1. If you place better than players with similar ratings to you, you get a little score boost
2. If you place better than players with much better ratings than you, you get a BIG score boost.
3. Conversely, if you have a high rating and you lose to players with much worse ratings than you, your score goes down a lot.

Notes:
1. There will be a mechanism to slowly decrease ratings so that players can't just get a super high score then quit as the "forever champion".
2. Our first experiment will be SEASON 1, and we'll change that up whenever we go "out of beta" with this feature. At that point, we might have regular seasons, etc.
3. Different minigames will maintain different ratings; you may be a Ruby Quarry player but a Brass Minesweeper player, etc.
4. SR leaderboards will be displayed on the codex!

LONGER TERM:

1. An Order for players that place well, active per season. Incentive!
2. A multi-order icon so players can show off their membership in multiple orders at once
3. Better interface for minigames -- showing skill ratings and leaderboards in the social panel, for example
4. More minigame type experiments!

That's it for now ... thoughts?

Comments

• Xavier789Xavier789 North Sentinel IslandMember Posts: 145
    Honestly i'm most excited for the multi-order icon. I want crow and lion both at same time.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,046
    I love you
  • ElectroxElectrox Antarctica Underground BaseMember Posts: 883
    That's awesome!
  • WhatsHisHeadWhatsHisHead // Deepgate //Member Posts: 162
    Hyped for all of this! That multi-order system will be super awesome to have!
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    I though Deepworld was an MMO Sandbox Game, not a Battle Royale. It’s a good idea, but it’s not quite for this type of game.

Introducing, galaxies.

A galaxy is basically a clump of worlds with one set theme, like market, PvP, minigames, competitive, etcetera. There can be one main world with entrances to the rest of the dev-owned worlds, and some player-owned worlds that have been checked out by devs or admins in that galaxy, or there could also be a tab in the world menu for the different galaxies.

MARKET: Like the current market tab in experiences, but it shows the least visited market worlds before the most visited to help out some smaller market worlds. Most visited is what the popular tab is for.

PvP: Like the current PvP tab, but it shows trusted and popular worlds. You can’t get that kind of stuff in the popular tab.

MINIGAMES: Whether it be a whole player-made world just for Spleef, or another batch of the new Quarry worlds, minigame worlds would go here. Also, players who own worlds would be able to set the galaxy if they want.

COMPETITIVE: That is actually a great idea, but, as with most other sandbox games, there should be different servers/galaxies to bring to life ideas that wouldn’t fit with the original game type. This galaxy would hold these competitive games, and any other competitive games you think of in the future.

There could be more or less galaxies, like maybe adding a building galaxy or combining the three fighting/games galaxies. I’m pretty bad at typing up my thoughts, but I hope you all understand what I’m trying to say. Minecraft, Terraria, and most other sandbox survival (would DW be a survival game?) have servers to put their special stuff, and Deepworld should do that too if competitive games and minigame worlds are to work.
  • ArcanGraveArcanGrave ArcanGroveMember Posts: 274
    THANK YOU, MIKE.
  • VemoisbeatVemoisbeat dubaiMember Posts: 31
    GOOOOOOOD IDEAAA
  • DaltsDalts Loading...Member Posts: 562
    Cool stuff.
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 711
    I’m pretty much excited for all of it powering through one at a time
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,081
    It looks amazing!!!
    Gives real competition to Deepworld. Would be cool if we could get a pvp mode with no Jerky/Canisters
  • Vorobets13Vorobets13 Fav account is Vorobets15Member Posts: 161
    Everywhen said:

It looks amazing!!!
    Gives real competition to Deepworld. Would be cool if we could get a pvp mode with no Jerky/Canisters

Or if we got a new machine that disables jerky/canisters.Just like a suppressor.