Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Why Deepworld Died

Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloMember Posts: 1,584
I spent some time this morning brainstorming ideas on what happened to deepworld and how the game has developed over the past 6 years and I put together a video on my thoughts on what caused Deepworld's death. Let me know if you disagree, agree, or have different reasons yourself.

Comments

• GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,006
    edited September 30
    Not unlike Jesus, Deepworld has resurrected from the dead.
    Okay, deepworld didn't walk on water, but still - - almost as cool as Jesus

More seriously though, mike is working on some of the issues u addressed like the world generation, and optimization
    I do agree with some points though, but I wouldn't say it's dead, moreso a transitional stage imo
    Post edited by Grebebe on
  • Retro_ChowRetro_Chow Hiding from diabloMember Posts: 1,584
    Lilyabc said:

Deepworld isn't dead tho. Theres still people playing it.

Just because people are playing doesn't mean it isn't dead. Dead means that almost nobody plays it. Compared to what it was 3-4 years ago, the game is "dead".

@Grebebe I really wish it could be resurrected. However, in order for people to start playing the game again the game would need to be completely redone and relaunched from the ground up... and from what we can understand from what the devs have said, Mike and the team do not have a lot of time to work on the game. So it's unrealistic to expect the game to ever even return to the numbers the community has seen 3-4 years ago.
  • GrebebeGrebebe 2Fab4UMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,006

Lilyabc said:

Just because people are playing doesn't mean it isn't dead. Dead means that almost nobody plays it. Compared to what it was 3-4 years ago, the game is "dead".

@Grebebe I really wish it could be resurrected. However, in order for people to start playing the game again the game would need to be completely redone and relaunched from the ground up... and from what we can understand from what the devs have said, Mike and the team do not have a lot of time to work on the game. So it's unrealistic to expect the game to ever even return to the numbers the community has seen 3-4 years ago.
    Fair point, but I wouldn't say things are completely hopeless, if the team keeps up the update frequency they've had for the past 1-2 months... Things are looking up 😊, maybe I'm completely wrong though lol, haven't played in ages

Lilyabc said:

Yes, there are people still playing, but a majority of them are hold outs from 2013/14/15. I rarely see any new players.
    This is very true. The game is getting 0 new exposure. There is 0 advertising. The chances for a person who have never heard about Deepworld stumbling upon the game are EXTREMELLY low.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,692
    These are all great points, and I’ve taken the time to type up what Mike and team could do to fix some of these problems.

1. Texture change. This is probably one of the biggest reasons most players left, but, there are a few ways to fix it. The first way is to add support for texture packs. This has been brought up several times, but then kicked under the rug, though it’s a perfect idea. The second way is for the devs to learn how the other artist made what they made, and then use that to make the new textures. Third way, let the players help. There are loads of players here willing to help if only they were given the chance. I’d bet my golden bucket of dunking that many of them have great talents they’d like to show off. Fourth way, well, one word. Kickstarter. Technically, it would be ReKickstarter, but still.

2. Not much to do. Building, mining, raiding, quarrying... they’re all fun. But they just don’t hit the spot. Maybe there could be more competitions, or actual boss fights (right now, 99.9% of players don’t even fight the lord brain or revenant). I’ll make an animation of what boss fights should be. There’s also not much xp that you get from beating enemies or raiding, so it takes a while to level up. Another thing that could be done is let players use paper, an easel, and resin to make their own paintings. Though, with that, World Moderators are definitely needed.

3. Somewhere in there was not enough worlds. This issue has been somewhat resolved, but I believe private worlds should be cheaper.

4. Inferior platforms. This can also be fixed by letting players help, learning how to convert flash to unity (or vice versa), or ReKickstartering.

I had more, but I just forgot them. This game can come back, but only if the team is willing to put work into it, and learn or relearn a few things.
  • TescosTescos SawConMember Posts: 123

These are all great points, and I’ve taken the time to type up what Mike and team could do to fix some of these problems.

1. Texture change. This is probably one of the biggest reasons most players left, but, there are a few ways to fix it. The first way is to add support for texture packs. This has been brought up several times, but then kicked under the rug, though it’s a perfect idea. The second way is for the devs to learn how the other artist made what they made, and then use that to make the new textures. Third way, let the players help. There are loads of players here willing to help if only they were given the chance. I’d bet my golden bucket of dunking that many of them have great talents they’d like to show off. Fourth way, well, one word. Kickstarter. Technically, it would be ReKickstarter, but still.

2. Not much to do. Building, mining, raiding, quarrying... they’re all fun. But they just don’t hit the spot. Maybe there could be more competitions, or actual boss fights (right now, 99.9% of players don’t even fight the lord brain or revenant). I’ll make an animation of what boss fights should be. There’s also not much xp that you get from beating enemies or raiding, so it takes a while to level up. Another thing that could be done is let players use paper, an easel, and resin to make their own paintings. Though, with that, World Moderators are definitely needed.

3. Somewhere in there was not enough worlds. This issue has been somewhat resolved, but I believe private worlds should be cheaper.

4. Inferior platforms. This can also be fixed by letting players help, learning how to convert flash to unity (or vice versa), or ReKickstartering.

I had more, but I just forgot them. This game can come back, but only if the team is willing to put work into it, and learn or relearn a few things.

The players willing to help, He should follow them up. I know if I was Mike I would of done that already
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 1,013
    Opinion piece here:

I agree with some of these reasons, we definitely leaked a lot of possible players off in the last few years and Deepworld sat idle for a good 2-3 years with little to no new content. I think we are getting a decent amount of content for what is worth now, but it's also a little late. I'd say lets let mike do his thing and let the trickle of new players come in to see where it goes, maybe these new battle royal modes might catch on.

I don't think Deepworlds dead, but it is definitely lacking in an expansive player base like League of Legends or Fortnight. Deepworld is a very niche type of game and that means a niche type of player base. I think the trickle of worlds is always going to be an issue as well, a need for new ways to generate worlds is needed, making use of world keys for 30 minutes in a private random biome would be a great start to fixing some of this.

I also miss the Deepworld Dev vids, that was a nice thing to keep in touch with devs, but with the team doing full time jobs and videos taking several hours to make, it would make it hard to bring Deepworld new content.

I enjoy the path in which Deepworld is going now, I miss the old art but it had to be changed for legal reasons. The best bet for now is to wait for new features and see where it takes us. Deepworlds not really dead nor is it dying. We have new content coming in and the servers are more active than many games, we also have a pretty decent player base besides a few sticks in the mud.

The largest mistake this game had was the unattended years it was out and milked during Christmas time and the absolutely broken version released on Windows. The game is - to this day - still being fixed. This is a lesson to learn and I hope it doesn't happen again, it's apparent in the Android version that lesson was learned the hard way. Getting players who have Androids in is a step in the right direction, and mike is using Unity meaning multiple build platforms.

Moving forward I suggest mike messages PS, XBOX and Nintendo to get Deepworld on their platforms. That's the easiest way to get written a big check and get a large new group of players. Indie is highly accepted by Microsoft so I'm sure it would be doable, time would just be made and emails would need to be sent.

Otherwise, yea, keeper goin mike, ship hasn't sank yet and we're heading in what looks like the right direction, keep up the good work Bytebin team.

Opinion piece here:

I agree with some of these reasons, we definitely leaked a lot of possible players off in the last few years and Deepworld sat idle for a good 2-3 years with little to no new content. I think we are getting a decent amount of content for what is worth now, but it's also a little late. I'd say lets let mike do his thing and let the trickle of new players come in to see where it goes, maybe these new battle royal modes might catch on.

I don't think Deepworlds dead, but it is definitely lacking in an expansive player base like League of Legends or Fortnight. Deepworld is a very niche type of game and that means a niche type of player base. I think the trickle of worlds is always going to be an issue as well, a need for new ways to generate worlds is needed, making use of world keys for 30 minutes in a private random biome would be a great start to fixing some of this.

I also miss the Deepworld Dev vids, that was a nice thing to keep in touch with devs, but with the team doing full time jobs and videos taking several hours to make, it would make it hard to bring Deepworld new content.

I enjoy the path in which Deepworld is going now, I miss the old art but it had to be changed for legal reasons. The best bet for now is to wait for new features and see where it takes us. Deepworlds not really dead nor is it dying. We have new content coming in and the servers are more active than many games, we also have a pretty decent player base besides a few sticks in the mud.

The largest mistake this game had was the unattended years it was out and milked during Christmas time and the absolutely broken version released on Windows. The game is - to this day - still being fixed. This is a lesson to learn and I hope it doesn't happen again, it's apparent in the Android version that lesson was learned the hard way. Getting players who have Androids in is a step in the right direction, and mike is using Unity meaning multiple build platforms.

Moving forward I suggest mike messages PS, XBOX and Nintendo to get Deepworld on their platforms. That's the easiest way to get written a big check and get a large new group of players. Indie is highly accepted by Microsoft so I'm sure it would be doable, time would just be made and emails would need to be sent.

Otherwise, yea, keeper goin mike, ship hasn't sank yet and we're heading in what looks like the right direction, keep up the good work Bytebin team.

Games like LOL and overwatch are "niche" games that have kept their playerbase for years and years without a problem. Deepworld fails to do this. From the few times I have logged in recently I have struggled to find more than 30 players on at one time and I feel like that definitely deserves the title of "dead". You said the dev diary videos took several hours to make. However, they were just a few minute clips with no editing or script to them. The videos didn't really take any extra work for the developers to make. I never heard that they had to change their artwork because of legal reasons... can you link me the source for that, or can someone verify this please?
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 1,013

Opinion piece here:

Games like LOL and overwatch are "niche" games that have kept their playerbase for years and years without a problem. Deepworld fails to do this. From the few times I have logged in recently I have struggled to find more than 30 players on at one time and I feel like that definitely deserves the title of "dead". You said the dev diary videos took several hours to make. However, they were just a few minute clips with no editing or script to them. The videos didn't really take any extra work for the developers to make. I never heard that they had to change their artwork because of legal reasons... can you link me the source for that, or can someone verify this please?
    I don't have links and it's more or less an assumption, but usually if a artist is on the team that leaves they still have legal right to partial payment of the work while not actively working meaning they could take legal action to take their "share" which can easily be avoided when you remove their previous works and replace them with new works. This may not be the case, but I've gotten a good deal of teaching about how this all works from my college classes involving situations like this.

The reason why the niche has kept a consistent player base is because they have replayabilty, which I agree with what you said, there's basically none in Deepworld unless you have some social reason, but I don't feel like it's dead, there's still a following, considering a thread about times being a market again got 1.1k views in a short period of time kinda backs that up, we are not on a shortage of lurkers.
  • _CRYSTAL_KING__CRYSTAL_KING_ Member Posts: 54
    How are people even supposed to find out about Deepworld for a start? I've never seen any adverts for it or anything. I think relying on people just stumbling on it by chance is where it's gone wrong.

How are people even supposed to find out about Deepworld for a start? I've never seen any adverts for it or anything. I think relying on people just stumbling on it by chance is where it's gone wrong.

It lost all it's momentum. It used to be covered by bigger youtubers and gaming news sites. Now there is nothing promoting it.