Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Dear Mike, Please Squeeze Me...

SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,887
... for money, that is. I've been thinking a lot over the past few months about homegrown ways you can bring more money in through the game. As opposed to shelling out for advertising or other out-of-game avenues. Why not use the game itself as a steadier revenue source?

What I mean is you need to give us reasons to keep buying and spending crowns without making us feel exploited. For the most part, I think this means renewable purchases. So here are some ideas. I hope other people will chime in with things they'd feel willing to spend money on, too.

Private Worlds:
This is already one of your main moneymakers. It's a reliable method of bringing in funds, though probably not as robust a method as you'd like. So what about enhancing private worlds to make them more attractive to buyers (especially if you're going to ramp up world generation in general)? For example:

- make purchased worlds have a slightly higher chance of spawning with good paintings/heads/platinum/etc.
- make purchased worlds have a higher number of dungeons, head bunkers, etc.
- make purchased worlds have slightly better loot drop percentages
- make purchased worlds more likely to contain new rares for the first few days after releasing the new items

Alternatively, you could offer another category of worlds with the above perks. Maybe charge an extra 100 or 200 crowns. Even if the percentages were modest (e.g., 10% more dungeons, 10% higher chance of good stuff spawning, etc.), people would likely throw an additional couple hundred crowns at it. I know I would.

Other ideas:
I haven't thought all these through all the way, so there might be problems. If there are I'm sure people will point them out, ha.

- Offer the 8000-crown pack special ALL THE TIME (not just as a special sale). In other words, make sure your best deal is always available. I can't tell you how many times I've considered buying crowns but decided to wait for the 8000 pack because 1000 free crowns is 1000 crowns, then by the time the 8000 sale comes around, I've forgotten what I wanted the crowns for, so I don't buy any.

- Offer the sale-rate crowns all the time to onyx moons (and do NOT offer special sales beyond that). In other words, make your best possible crown rates available to onyx moons all the time. Not only will this give people a reason to spend enough to become onyx moons, but it also will make your proven spenders more likely to keep spending.

- Make slight boosts in luck related to the number of crowns you have in your account (e.g., maintaining a balance of over 1000 crowns gives a slight, very slight, percentage boost in your chances of looting a rare)

- Bring prices of cosmetic items wayyyy down -- you're more likely to have 25 people spend one dollar each than one person spend 25 dollars all at once. It's crazy that some cosmetic items cost more than entire mini worlds. People are much more likely to casually toss off 25 crowns for a hat than they are to shell out 250.

- Put some sort of subtle but visible tag or mark on cosmetic items that are not, and never will be, available as daily loot or in red chests. People spend money on designer jeans to show off the label. At the very least make clear note of such items in their descriptions in the crowns store. I might see a hat I just HAVE TO HAVE, but if I think eventually it's going to be a daily loot drop or that I can get it from a red chest, I'm gonna be hesitant to shell out crowns for it.

Monthly Fees:
Another renewable money source would be something people pay for on an ongoing basis. For example, I'd pay a small monthly fee (a buck or two each, depending, or maybe a lump sum for all) for things like:

- the ability to place and mine without the new dupe-busting delay nerf (even just in owned worlds would be great) ... seriously, I'd pay five bucks a month for this alone
- the ability to give exact amounts, or at least to give all of an item at once
- the ability to play without having my person icon appear next to the world on the world tele screens (in other words, for a chance to explore abandoned worlds without the game constantly announcing what world I'm in to anyone who hits the "popular" tab) ... another thing I'd pay five bucks a month for
- the ability to mega zoom on owned worlds (for epic screenshots, or even super-fast resource assessment) [or just fix the damn camera feature in the map already] ... could also be a one-time purchase accessory, though you won't make ongoing money off it if you do that
- the ability to use additional API search parameters: I want to be able to view *all* results with &per_page=100; I want the ability to search by gen date, by gen version, by number of teles, by number of protectors, etc.
- the ability to search for my private worlds or worlds I'm a member of: Now that I can no longer run the Unity version on my Mac, the only way I can get to these private worlds is by smacking the "owned" or "member" button over and over, hoping the one I want will show up, hoping my clicky finger doesn't automatically click to refresh again just as I recognize the one I want...
- the ability to turn off sky dirt evaporation for owned worlds: sometimes I really want a flying dirt hovel
- the ability to turn off critical hits, which I hate, hate, hate under every circumstance they occur
- the ability to shovel as fast on a Mac as is possible on a PC
- the ability to use a net (and all other tools/melee weapons) as fast on a Mac as is possible on a PC ... especially important now that there are daily challenges that sometimes rely on grinding

Trading Taxes:
People will hate this, but another moneymaking idea might be some sort of tax on trading. Maybe you get 5 free trades per day, and after that, you have to pay one crown per trade, or something like that. Or you have to pay 10 crowns for a trading license that lasts a certain length of time but allows you to make as many trades as you want during that time. Or maybe a month-long license for unlimited trading costs five bucks. Or maybe issue a special license for trading the more costly or rare items, or a special tax on those sorts of trades. My point is: Trading is a hugely popular activity in the game. So... do like real life and find a way to capitalize on it.

I think there are ways to balance these sorts of buyable privileges and game-wide taxes to prevent the game from being too much of a pay-to-play/pay-to-win experience. Mostly you'd be targeting your power users -- your biggest spenders and more veteran players -- without hugely affecting the gameplay of newer or less advanced players.

Holy crap I wrote a book. Sorry.

Comments

• ArcanGraveArcanGrave ArcanGroveMember Posts: 274
    The crown prices are outrageous imo, I haven't seen deepworld do crown sales and i'm pretty sure people will buy crowns if it was to go on sale. I have spent a lot of money in the game, too.
  • TescosTescos SawConMember Posts: 129
    I would also personally like changes to the player owned market system, for example, pro limits like the official markets everyone just spams their megas and gigas all over
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    These are great ideas!
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,887
    I just re-read this and realized I sound like a giant know-it-all. Sorry about the tone. Sometimes I get so deep into my own arguments I forget how arrogant I sound. Bah!
  • DianeDiane Member Posts: 378
    1. the title made me laugh

the ability to place and mine without the new dupe-busting delay nerf (even just in owned worlds would be great) ... seriously, I'd pay five bucks a month for this alone
    omg yes THIS, it is horrible I'm trying to wallpaper a whole sky in a private world and it's torture, would absolutely pay monthly fee for this

the ability to give exact amounts, or at least to give all of an item at once
    I love this one too, one time I decided to give all my dirt to someone and i just wanted to give it "all". instead we are there for five minutes, 100k at a time, and then a bunch of stupid amounts in decreasing increments, just let us give it all if we want!

the ability to play without having my person icon appear next to the world on the world tele screens (in other words, for a chance to explore abandoned worlds without the game constantly announcing what world I'm in to anyone who hits the "popular" tab) ... another thing I'd pay five bucks a month for
    I agree with this, I would pay $5/mo for this too. Many times I've wanted to explore an abandoned world on my own, like I trawl the API and find a low-exploration arctic and ooh maybe a mastodon, and within ten seconds someone else appears because they saw my icon: "Wow, this world is still so unexplored!" And now there are 2 icons on world teleport screen and then snowball.

5. @Sirentist I don't think you sound like a knowitall, or arrogant, mostly just enthusiastic and self confident but not in a bad way lol . The truth is you have played DW forever and you DO know a lot, embrace it! Its easy to tell u love the game & that's where you're coming from :)
  • ForestGumpForestGump Living On A Forest rn, Hbu?Member Posts: 291
    Amazing listed ideas right there!
  • Xavier789Xavier789 North Sentinel IslandMember Posts: 145
    edited November 17
    I love them all :D,although if you were to be able to take large screenshots, people would probably just buy a large world and abuse it for resources, Also if taxes were to be added,
    1-Ya gotta watch them advertisements
    2-Crowns are to hard to get from loot

also title named Dear Mike, Please Squeeze Me...
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,797
    Totally agree on owned worlds. When I joined, first thing I saved up on was a world. Was quite dissapointed when I didn't find an onyx in it.

A friend of mine joined. First thing he asked about was a world yo build in. Might spend money.

He plays on android. Quite hard to play deepworld on phone: your either zoomed in all the time, of zoomed out and cant see anything cause things are do tiny, and laggy.
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 708
    Sounds good!

However, some of the subscription-like abilities are not in the game for a reason, like the slower Place time (duping), Massive zoom levels (preformace issues), and I think that Mac users should be able to do all things that PC users can do for free lol.
  • JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Working on gamesMember Posts: 1,013
    edited November 18
    I think a daily bonus system + a special monthly item limited to those who logged in each day of the month would be cool. The system could be available to premium users exclusively - that way people who haven't yet gotten premium might be more enticed to get it. The rewards could be super simple like 1 diamond, 10 crowns, some brass accessories, building resources, stuff for crafting in the science update, etc that could be worth while to collect, but not enough to mess up economy. The last day of the month could be something bigger like a one time only exclusive item you can't get any other way - maybe new decorative item or something that is relative to the month, like a giant carved out pumpkin for October that has an animated glow or a Robot with a Santa hat ice sculpture for December that might have a little glimmer animation. I think something like that would give me a reason to hop on, the popular MMO Black Desert Online has a daily login system sort of like this that has very worthwhile items at the end of the month and I find it constantly giving me a reason to hop on and I think being able to pull in more activity and possible premium buyers could pull in money way more effectively and give you a bigger buyer base.

On top of that, fixing the issues related to the store would be my next go to. The icons are stretched, some stuff doesn't even give a description of what you're buying and many other issues. I personally feel like buggy stores in games make me feel like my currency might not event come if the system that makes icons scale doesn't event work, presentation is key to buyer marketing.

Thirdly, giving new buyables would be great, new packages, new costume items, more emotes(working emotes on PC would be cool too) and special decorative items that are shop exclusively, maybe a cool chandelier or a couch that is nice a snazzy, you know, stuff that looks cool that is shop exclusive. On top of that - add - add - add shop packages with 250x new building items. I guarantee builders will buy shop exclusive building blocks. Trading and building is the main place players end up at in end game and capitalizing on that is crucial if you want to bring in a bit more. Premium exclusive items for building I guarantee would squeeze out quite a bit of cash.

Consumables like XP boosts or loot luck boosts or stat boosts in general would be a super cool set of crown items too. Why not add something that makes you able to temporarily destroy blackrock and tiny things like that, would be nice to have and could again, pull in some extra revenue.

That's my ideas at least, I'm sure I could brainstorm way more but these are sorta the big ones on my mind.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorMember Posts: 92
    edited November 19
    -Paying fees to trade exact amounts of an item is silly

-Taxing us to make trades is literally exploiting, which you said you wanted to prevent.

-Taxing trades would somewhat discourage people from participating in the original barter
    system, please reconsider this entire trade tax concept.

-Why would you pay monthly for hiding your person icon when if it was invisible, someone would probably enter
    anyways in search of what you most likely are?

-Giving purchased worlds benefits of loot over normal world will throw off the rarity of items that has been established for years, we don't need/want a second Whiteadder incident.

This entire list you've provided is basically a list of items that benefit you, albeit well thought out, with the exception of cosmetics prices, finding owned/shared worlds, and moon based perks. The number of people currently playing that could partake in this stuff is very small.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    Ivory said:

-Taxing us to make trades is literally exploiting, which you said you wanted to prevent.

-Taxing trades would somewhat discourage people from participating in the original barter

-Why would you pay monthly for hiding your person icon when if it was invisible, someone would probably enter

-Giving purchased worlds benefits of loot over normal world will throw off the rarity of items that has been established for years, we don't need/want a second Whiteadder incident.

This entire list you've provided is basically a list of items that benefit you, albeit well thought out, with the exception of cosmetics prices, finding owned/shared worlds, and moon based perks. The number of people currently playing that could partake in this stuff is very small.

I agree with the points about the trading tax, but not the other thing. A trade tax would be a little too much.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Member Posts: 1,138
    My vote would be better loot in personal worlds. Other than that. Meh....

Ivory said:

I agree with the points about the trading tax, but not the other thing. A trade tax would be a little too much.
    Honestly. What is the real reason behind taxing trades? That is not only hypocritical to list but it is as microtransaction as it gets. I don't think Mike would consider this for a second.
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,797
    Maybe we could do a tax, and the owner of the market world would get that tax.
    That would be a funny addition to the game.
    Yeah, I was mostly offering the trading tax concept as an idea to consider in and of itself. I don't do enough trading myself to have a sense of what would actually be fair, so I just threw out some random numbers to demonstrate the idea. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was suggesting those specific numbers should be adopted.

Same thing with the percentage I mentioned about rares and such on purchased worlds. I don't know what exact percentage would be truly fair, or what would mesh with the already-existing percentage formulas. I was just using a random number to give an example of how the idea might play out.
  • TescosTescos SawConMember Posts: 129
    ipads said:

The trading tax sounds extreme. 5 free trades a day is exploiting our avid traders, as @Ivory said, and we don't want that.
    If Mike really wanted to do a tax on trade, it would have to be A LOT more tame than that for players to be accepting of it. 1-5 crowns every 100-150 trades would perhaps be something more reasonable, if even at all. I personally was never much of a trader at all, but, I do know that it is a popular activity and it could potentially bring in some extra $$$ to keep the game running if done right.

No. Not even every 100-150 trades, paying money for something that huge amounts of the playerbase do and has been free for 6 years now would just ruin the game even more. Taxing people for TRADING just seems greedy and might well cause some players to quit.

• ipadsipads Member, Arbiter Posts: 1,995
    Tescos said:

ipads said:

The trading tax sounds extreme. 5 free trades a day is exploiting our avid traders, as @Ivory said, and we don't want that.
    If Mike really wanted to do a tax on trade, it would have to be A LOT more tame than that for players to be accepting of it. 1-5 crowns every 100-150 trades would perhaps be something more reasonable, if even at all. I personally was never much of a trader at all, but, I do know that it is a popular activity and it could potentially bring in some extra $$$ to keep the game running if done right.

No. Not even every 100-150 trades, paying money for something that huge amounts of the playerbase do and has been free for 6 years now would just ruin the game even more. Taxing people for TRADING just seems greedy and might well cause some players to quit.

Emphasis on "if even at all". I'm not suggesting he do it, but if he really wanted to implement the idea, I'm saying it would have to be something very small and tame.
    edited November 23

I don't think finding a way for the game to make money off trading is inherently unfair. I mean, builders have to pay for exo suit parts to get max building skill abilities. It's a one-time expense, but it is an expense (or form of one-time "tax"). Same for explorers, horticulturalists, crafters, PvP-ers, etc. To excel in any of these areas, you need to max your skills & shell out for high-level tools. The only group that automatically gets to perform to the max for free is traders. Even if you disagree with the idea of some sort of tax, it's still possible to support the concept of somehow capitalizing on the most popular activity in the game.

The reason I've been thinking of it in terms of "taxes" is because in some ways the game is like a world or a nation, with Mike acting as the government (via various game mechanics). When a nation is struggling for revenue (as we know Mike/the game is), one of the first things to look at is taxing the populace. People don't just freely donate money to keep the government working, to support the maintenance and improvement of the infrastructures (i.e., to pay Mike to fix stuff or implement new stuff). But maybe it's the wrong road to take, or the wrong way to frame things.

In any case, I'd love to hear other moneymaking ideas. It's easy to shoot ideas down, but it would be cool to hear some other brainstorming, too!
    Sirentist said:

I don't think finding a way for the game to make money off trading is inherently unfair. I mean, builders have to pay for exo suit parts to get max building skill abilities. It's a one-time expense, but it is an expense (or form of one-time "tax"). Same for explorers, horticulturalists, crafters, PvP-ers, etc. To excel in any of these areas, you need to max your skills & shell out for high-level tools. The only group that automatically gets to perform to the max for free is traders. Even if you disagree with the idea of some sort of tax, it's still possible to support the concept of somehow capitalizing on the most popular activity in the game.

The reason I've been thinking of it in terms of "taxes" is because in some ways the game is like a world or a nation, with Mike acting as the government (via various game mechanics). When a nation is struggling for revenue (as we know Mike/the game is), one of the first things to look at is taxing the populace. People don't just freely donate money to keep the government working, to support the maintenance and improvement of the infrastructures (i.e., to pay Mike to fix stuff or implement new stuff). But maybe it's the wrong road to take, or the wrong way to frame things.

In any case, I'd love to hear other moneymaking ideas. It's easy to shoot ideas down, but it would be cool to hear some other brainstorming, too!

I thought that the government and nation thing was a motive behind trade tax. The thing is, the context is a lot different, seeing as tax on imports and such is meant for retaliation and to protect the domestic producers. We are technically the domestic producer since we own all the stuff, so we shouldn't be taxed in that sense, and I don't think Mike has it out for us so taxing us for retaliation wouldn't fit, either. Also, employing one system of earnings will kill the one already in the game like that.

Earlier I said that this would be "as microtransaction as it gets" because games basically charge people to play more in other mobile games otherwise they suffer a cooldown before resuming play. In my opinion, this is second to that practice.

The only thing I can say is we already have a decent system in place for earnings, and the only thing left for us to try out is editing worlds. I don't mean changing it to XL and whatnot since we already have that as a world, but shortcuts to purification or weather manipulation, etc.