Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make Deepworld open source or sell the game

iSpeakiSpeak MassachusettsPosts: 82Member

It’d be disappointing to see the game just straight up die.

Comments

• IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,884Member
    edited June 8
    We could just design game(s) like Deepworld instead of using Mike’s code and assets. As he said, it’s difficult to update the game due to how expensive and expansive the servers are, and how old the code is. It would be better to rewrite it.
  • iSpeakiSpeak MassachusettsPosts: 82Member

We could just design game(s) like Deepworld instead of using Mike’s code and assets. As he said, it’s difficult to update the game due to how expensive and expansive the servers are, and how old the code is. It would be better to rewrite it.

Good point, but how could you design a game like deepworld without at least knowing a bit of its main code?
  • _CRYSTAL_KING__CRYSTAL_KING_ Posts: 138Member

If you wanted a Deepworld-like game, you've already got games like Growtopia, Blockheads, etc.

I think that making Deepworld open-source would be the best way to go if we wanted it to live on.

If you wanted a Deepworld-like game, you've already got games like Growtopia, Blockheads, etc.
    All of the games you’ve mentioned are unique and significantly different in their own ways, other than the fact that they’ve built on what Minecraft has done.
    edited June 9

I think that making Deepworld open-source would be the best way to go if we wanted it to live on.
    Those may be similar in the way that they’re 2d sandbox games, but I meant that we could create a game just like Deepworld, just with different (yet similarly styled) art and impoved code. We could also add singleplayer (or home worlds) right off the bat to counteract several of the reasons Deepworld fell.
    iSpeak said:

Good point, but how could you design a game like deepworld without at least knowing a bit of its main code?
    Mike said that this code is outdated and not well built, so it may be best to put it to rest.
  • DerpyDerpDerpyDerp BadDev#4290Posts: 50Member

I think its best to gather about 4-5 community devs and all commit to one project, not 6 individual deepworlds. As said in my other post; I’ve made a private server (which is about 1-2 years old) but never updated it. Someone can take the project over if they want. Has all basic handles from back then (crafting, building, placing, spawning, trading,...)

• ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Posts: 2,950Member
    DerpyDerp said:

I think its best to gather about 4-5 community devs and all commit to one project, not 6 individual deepworlds. As said in my other post; I’ve made a private server (which is about 1-2 years old) but never updated it. Someone can take the project over if they want. Has all basic handles from back then (crafting, building, placing, spawning, trading,...)

open source the private server?

Wouldn’t really be so smart against dupers and other exploiters.

edited June 14
    You guys know how in other 2d sandbox games like Terraria, nothing has any real value, therefore making duping and exploiting pointless?
  • SimplinSimplin Posts: 79Member
    Mike will ignore or dismiss these ideas with a sentence or two.
    Best to spend your time thinking of finding a new game.
    Simplin said:

Still, dont need anything from Mike, i've replicated the server's logic on my own using Java.
    Simplin said:

Nobody needs Mike. He can continue to sit around and watch if he wants.

I’d say we make a channel in the discord dedicated to this subject instead of posting it here. Would be a lot easier.