Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Dungeon Generation 3.0

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,339
Minigames are coming along, but I wanted to peek ahead a little bit and talk about the next stage of Dungeon Generation (since it involves YOU!)

We are planning a fairly simple procedural system to generate infinite dungeon varieties - and you, our wonderful builders, can take part in building them.

HOW WILL IT WORK? Stay tuned - more information will come along in a blog post. For now, enjoy this tiny infographic I put together! I will answer many questions when the blog post is done.

Comments

• p1nkbr0p1nkbr0 Like, totally, brahMember, Arbiter Posts: 5,084
    edited January 2016
    MORE BUILDING YEAH!!! Can't wait!!! >:)

This will make raiding a much more interesting challenge.

@Lexus1 you will be proud!!!
  • LordOreoLordOreo In Oreo KingdomMember Posts: 1,029
    Sweet :D
  • OxidisOxidis Member, Arbiter Posts: 793
    edited January 2016
    Looks good and those extra options will be useful. Maybe include more tags for perceived difficulty and content, etc. For example, you might want "corridors" in the dungeon, but not too many or too little.
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,339
    Oxidis said:

Looks good and those extra options will be useful. Maybe include more tags for perceived difficulty and content, etc. For example, you might want "corridors" in the dungeon, but not too many or too little.

The tags are up to the builder (whether that's me or players). So you can define any types you like, and then specify the order in which they appear ("entrance", 1-5 "easy corridors", 2-3 "hard corridors", "miniboss", "exit"), etc.
  • BulkBulk So... Apparently I don't fit in a locker. Send help.Member Posts: 3,673
    Oh this is pretty neat! Would there be a maximum number of rooms?

(Because there probably is a maximum, it would be cool to see one infinitely large dungeon)
    Bulk said:

(Because there probably is a maximum, it would be cool to see one infinitely large dungeon)

A single dungeon that spans an entire world. Who will be the lucky winner???
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,077
    p1nkbr0 said:

Bulk said:

That isnt being built below avant heim...
    I have no idea what you mean
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Member Posts: 6,324
    Yes. This is awesome!

You have no idea how excited I am :p
  • GilbyGilby Join the BK Discord: https://discord.gg/8H5zYUZMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,782
    This will most certainly make dungeon raiding more interesting!
  • awesomeo13awesomeo13 New york, New YorkMember Posts: 5,951
    MY TIME HAS COME TO SHOW THE WORLD THE POWER OF EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF PREFABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But on a more serious note, how will one "test generation" of their dungeon? Do we have to manualy build them (not including the original Prefab submission) or will there be a cool system where we can select the "Block" of dungeon and use it in some kind of In-game generation program, like in games where you can see the map generate before you play it, but on a much smaller scale.

Also can we submit "Micro-Dungeons" and Random-Gen Home parts too if you plan on making those a reality too?

P.S: perhaps an Idea for R-G-Hs (Random Gen homes) is for them to be entirely squared rooms (or any kind of even rhombus) so they can fit together nicely, and at the end it can cycle theough a few roof prefabs. Also will dungeons have variation in block type (eg: Yellow bricks switched with blue, and 'Normal' stone switched with its variants.)
    AMWhy said:

This fits well with the world Cathiron! We're clearing it now for a dungeon building competition. Let's hope we're done by the time this comes out.

I was just thinking we can slightly modify your goals with that world to fit the new design!!!
  • JakeTheTomJakeTheTom Member Posts: 721
    Lol i just talk about this with Millicent few days ago , well looks like i didnt need post any random dungeon generator idea :smiley: nice. Cant wait.
  • toadlovertoadlover Applying Woturr to the Urrth, to prevent the Ayerr from stoking the Phyrre.Member, Arbiter Posts: 6,432
    Also, does the new dungeon version mean that we are losing all of the existing dungeon models (including the biome exclusive ones)? If this is the case, can rooms from existing dungeon models be partitioned off, and added to the list of dungeon components?

In addition, either with this or afterwards, can this be done for bunkers and surface structures as well, in order to add even more variability.
    toadlover said:

Also, does the new dungeon version mean that we are losing all of the existing dungeon models (including the biome exclusive ones)? If this is the case, can rooms from existing dungeon models be partitioned off, and added to the list of dungeon components?

In addition, either with this or afterwards, can this be done for bunkers and surface structures as well, in order to add even more variability.

This will add even more suspense and thrill when you finally find a bunker with a painting in it!!!! Maybe certain rooms can be designed to house a specific painting. (Like a room full of acid for son of man, etc)

It adds a LOT more depth, and can even make the lore a bit more unique, as well.
  • ShiroNaiShiroNai Back from the dead...maybe?Member, Arbiter Posts: 4,453
    p1nkbr0 said:

toadlover said:

This will add even more suspense and thrill when you finally find a bunker with a painting in it!!!! Maybe certain rooms can be designed to house a specific painting. (Like a room full of acid for son of man, etc)

It adds a LOT more depth, and can even make the lore a bit more unique, as well.
    Let's just gather all the notched and put them in every preset.
  • PIPTR0PIPTR0 Brating those testy snot-board beats with nosesMember Posts: 3,641
    Heh, I'm already making some prefabs for fun.
  • Lexus1Lexus1 North Carolina Member Posts: 404
    p1nkbr0 said:

Bulk said:

So let me get this straight. We are clearing an entire world and turning it into a single dungeon. Is there a specific biome we are to use and how large is the world to be. We can't section it off and have several dungeons?
  • CoolAsIceCoolAsIce Member Posts: 416
    Lexus1 said:

p1nkbr0 said:

Bulk said:

So let me get this straight. We are clearing an entire world and turning it into a single dungeon. Is there a specific biome we are to use and how large is the world to be. We can't section it off and have several dungeons?
    It's a joke, he means that if there is no maximum for the amount of rooms, one dungeon would span the whole world...

On a sidenote, maybe it could vary upon the maximum for dungeon protectors.
    Lexus1 said:

p1nkbr0 said:

Bulk said:

I was referring to a theoretical future dungeon if Mike never put a cap. It would hypothetically span the entire world.
  • headgrinderheadgrinder Digging for Wisdom GemsMember Posts: 490
    @mikelaurence Ive heard some people are clearing XL worlds for this project. Is that the requirement to participate?
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,839

@mikelaurence Ive heard some people are clearing XL worlds for this project. Is that the requirement to participate?

The XL world clearing project started before Mike started talking about mini-games. It's not clear exactly what will be required, but I'm pretty sure mining out an XL world will NOT be a requirement for creating or participating in mini-games when they are implemented! :)
  • mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityMember, Administrator Posts: 5,339

The dungeon generator will be available to anyone who is an owner or member of a private world.
    edited January 2016
    Sirentist said:

The XL world clearing project started before Mike started talking about mini-games. It's not clear exactly what will be required, but I'm pretty sure mining out an XL world will NOT be a requirement for creating or participating in mini-games when they are implemented! :)
    Siren could you give us a clear answer as to what the XL World Clearing Project is and do you know if we, The Reliant Group, can participate in it. There seems to be some confusion as there are some people clearing XL worlds for a project of dungeons thinking these are one in the same. Thanks.
  • SirentistSirentist Member, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 8,839
    Lexus1 said:

Siren could you give us a clear answer as to what the XL World Clearing Project is and do you know if we, The Reliant Group, can participate in it. There seems to be some confusion as there are some people clearing XL worlds for a project of dungeons thinking these are one in the same. Thanks.

The dungeon generator is a thing Mike has been working on, and he recently started telling us about it. It will be some sort of in-game feature that people can use to design dungeons. Right now, the dungeon generator isn't a thing that players have anything to do with. It's not a feature or an option and it's not finished and it's not implemented and no one but Mike, &c., is getting to play with it. Mike will tell us more when he's more ready to release it to the general public. Right now, he's just giving us a sneak peek at an idea that's still being developed.

The XL dungeon world project is a personal project of an individual member who has opened the first phase of the work (clearing the map of all earth, etc.) to the public. As I understand it, the idea is that the person wants to create a space for players to design some cool dungeons, in hopes that maybe such dungeons might be considered for being implemented the next time the world gen engine is updated. It has nothing to do with the thing Mike is talking about, except that the timing is coincidental and a big, cleared-out world would probably be an easy place to begin experimenting with the dungeon generator that Mike is working on. (Hope I explained it correctly, AMWhy!)

You can get a clearer idea of what the project is about by reading the thread about it here: http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/23610/clear-and-prep-xl-world-for-building-competition

As for whether your group can participate, you'd have to approach @AMWhy,the person running the project, for that.
    Sirentist said:

Lexus1 said:

The dungeon generator is a thing Mike has been working on, and he recently started telling us about it. It will be some sort of in-game feature that people can use to design dungeons. Right now, the dungeon generator isn't a thing that players have anything to do with. It's not a feature or an option and it's not finished and it's not implemented and no one but Mike, &c., is getting to play with it. Mike will tell us more when he's more ready to release it to the general public. Right now, he's just giving us a sneak peek at an idea that's still being developed.

The XL dungeon world project is a personal project of an individual member who has opened the first phase of the work (clearing the map of all earth, etc.) to the public. As I understand it, the idea is that the person wants to create a space for players to design some cool dungeons, in hopes that maybe such dungeons might be considered for being implemented the next time the world gen engine is updated. It has nothing to do with the thing Mike is talking about, except that the timing is coincidental and a big, cleared-out world would probably be an easy place to begin experimenting with the dungeon generator that Mike is working on. (Hope I explained it correctly, AMWhy!)

You can get a clearer idea of what the project is about by reading the thread about it here: http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/23610/clear-and-prep-xl-world-for-building-competition

As for whether your group can participate, you'd have to approach @AMWhy,the person running the project, for that.
    Thank you so much. I have tried repeatedly to get answers. Do you hate being the go to person? I appreciate your help
  • MillicentMillicent Millie Hills, Millie Ranch & Millie BellsMember, Arbiter Posts: 521
    But why is she the go to person? @mikelaurence is the dev. Sirentist is just a player like everyone else. :wink:
    She is extra helpful is all.