Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

COMPETITION: Space Spawn

Comments

• DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,792
    edited March 13
    Would you guys like me and/or other judges to go through your entries and give suggestions?
    Just in terms of what’s okay for a world spawn, and what’s not...
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    Actually, the world spawn can be mined in private worlds. It's best NOT to place rares there or they could be exploited.
    AMWhy said:

Actually, the world spawn can be mined in private worlds. It's best NOT to place rares there or they could be exploited.

I am thinking stuff like fancy touchplates and maybe statues and stuff. I am sure it's not a big deal if a person who buys a world gets a few touchplates. What do you think?
  • ArcanGraveArcanGrave ArcanGroveMember Posts: 272
    The statues might be a bit much but I agree with the use of just touchplates, not the fancy ones tho but it's all up to your decision :)
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    I disagree. Touchplates require 3-5 engineering (depending on the type) as well as rare ores or a blue crystal in their ingredients. I'd still class them as rare and mark down entries including them. You'd be better off not using them in your build.
    edited March 15
    AMWhy said:

I disagree. Touchplates require 3-5 engineering (depending on the type) as well as rare ores or a blue crystal in their ingredients. I'd still class them as rare and mark down entries including them. You'd be better off not using them in your build.

So as what Detech has said, nothing else other than what comes across natural spawns and dungeons then?
    How about Brass roofings? No too?........
    Post edited by ArcanGrave on
    edited March 16
    AMWhy said:

Dungeons contain collectors, furnaces and engines - they are far more expensive and harder to make. Each industreal light requires a blue, and they are all over the place and noone mines them. And there are much more than three dungeons per world. I don't see any problem with letting people get a few touchplates to experiment with.

We are just used to having some expensive items easily available to us, and others not so easy. If we judged like that from the start, we wold just have plain concrete blocks everywhere...

But then again, every player has his own vision of the game. As I said, we will judge entry's compatibility for game use out of 10, while 40 points will be judged on other aspects.

If anything, we could remove those few rare items from entry's before game use, if it comes to that.
    Post edited by Detech on
    edited March 15
    Are we really just gonna treat DW as if every newbie player stays a newbie? As if they're not gonna learn that touchplates and some certain things require materials that almost hold no value?

I also understand that 5-10+ of it is too much but what is a couple or three gonna do?
    edited March 16
    So where do we draw the line? Let's imagine Touch plates are fine. Hey that means blue crystals are okay too in the next contest. After that, why not allow red crys? Then purples of course. Before you know it, there'll be no need to mine at all.

We have a clear line already set out by the devs. Let's just stick to it. If you wish to do a contest without restrictions (and no chance of being added to the game) then fine, anything goes. But if you are serious about adding new content then stick to the rules.

There are plenty of building resources to build with. As a judge I will mark down any entries that break the rules.

Edit:

AMWhy said:

So as what Detech has said, nothing else other than what comes across natural spawns and dungeons then?
    How about Brass roofings? No too?........
    Brass roofings would be fine (as long as not used to excess) as they are a new item to the game and don't require rare items to craft.
    edited March 16
    Noone is saying that crystals are gonna get added for the spawns, what we're tryna say are touchplates, the normal ones and some other things require materials that almost hold no value. Also not to use them excessively but sparingly.
    It's very simple: don't use them. If you do then you will drop points in the voting process.

This is my last word on the subject as it has been made very clear.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,692

Noone is saying that crystals are gonna get added for the spawns, what we're tryna say are touchplates, the normal ones and some other things require materials that almost hold no value. Also not to use them excessively but sparingly.

What AM is saying is that if anyone keeps giving a little bit of leeway, soon it will get to be pretty excessive. Here’s an example:

Comp 1 (foundation competition (first comp(past))): Hey, this furnace is pretty cool. Let’s allow this.
    Comp 2: Hmm, this furnace doesn’t work without collectors. Might as well add the rest of the steam machines!
    Comp 3: These machines take several blue crystals to make, and so do these cool new lights. Enjoy!
    Comp 4 (where we are): Well, these items already in dungeons use crystals. Why NOT add touchplates? It’ll add some new dungeon engineering possibilities!
    Comp 5 (future): Well, we have all these items using blue crystals, so why not add them? My, what a nice glow! The new guys will be happy to see this.
    Comp 6: These turrets use crystals, these machines use crystals, everything here uses crystals. But why’s it all blue? Let’s get some other colors in here.
    Comp 7: That’s a nice rainbow crystal. Perfect for a rainbow bunker!
    Comp 8: Don’t you wish you could get diamonds in other worlds? Ah, diamond bunker!
    Comp 9: *Unobtainable items file restoring ... adding ...*
    Comp 10: Now I feel bad for those people who paid onyx for a drum. Team, new competition! Onyx bunker!
    Comp 11: Onyx is no longer rare. Why not add it to every dungeon to add some spice?
    Comp 12: Every player left due to a sudden drop in prices. Wonder how that happened,
    Comp 13: There is none.

If you get a little bit of freedom for building each competition, soon (no, really) it’ll turn around and backfire.
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    edited March 16
    ^Heights of exaggeration.
    Beyond point 4, nothing else is sensible, and no one honestly would suggest that. The point here is not that we want to add rares for players to mine. The point is to make use of the materials the game has. The problem lies in the fact that some of these materials are made using blues, so our aim must be to figure whether it's viable to add these or not, not mocking the other side of the argument by this kind of crap;

Comp 5 (future): Well, we have all these items using blue crystals, so why not add them? My, what a nice glow! The new guys will be happy to see this.
    Comp 6: These turrets use crystals, these machines use crystals, everything here uses crystals. But why’s it all blue? Let’s get some other colors in here.
    Comp 8: Don’t you wish you could get diamonds in other worlds? Ah, diamond bunker!
    Comp 10: Now I feel bad for those people who paid onyx for a drum. Team, new competition! Onyx bunker!
    Comp 11: Onyx is no longer rare. Why not add it to every dungeon to add some spice?

What AM is saying is that if anyone keeps giving a little bit of leeway, soon it will get to be pretty excessive.
    It won't get excessive, because there is so much screening a dungeon has to go through to get implemented. Firstly, the judging the process, judges aren't utter fools to allows plain crystals and onyx in a dungeon. They're only suggesting milder touchplates which are easily comparable to the industrial lights we have. Secondly, Mike has to approve, I suppose he isn't completely bonkers either, so he'll know where to draw the line and how far to extend it. I don't think usage of touchplates would end up to the highly exaggerated outcome that you have outlines, because, again, the aim here is NOT to introduce rares in dungeons, but other workable mechanisms/designs.

Firelore has a good point, but so do everyone else speaking against it. However, the industrial lights cost one blue each, but have no monetary value whatsoever, because who would buy them in an actual trade? That's why they don't get mined, because they're no longer the raw material, hence losing their scope of usability and thereby market value. They can only be used for lighting in builds.

Now let's see about touchplates, they're not formally introduced in the game in any way whatsoever. In fact, I see people not knowing to use them even after weeks of playing, perhaps due to the fact that they didn't really know it existed and what it's used for. Dungeons in my opinion, should serve not only as a way to get loot, but also to introduce game mechanics. Maybe, pop out 2 industrial lights, and put in 2 normal touchplates instead (I agree that the other kind of touchplates might be overkill). This way, touchplates can add more variety to the dungeon progression, and also let people know it is a thing. It won't break the market, again, because it loses its monetary value now that it's in this crafted form. Not saying that we must end up replacing levers with touchplates, but using 1-2 per dungeon won't break the market really, and it adds variety to the dungeon as well.

Post edited by FlynnXD on
    edited March 16

What AM is saying is that if anyone keeps giving a little bit of leeway, soon it will get to be pretty excessive. Here’s an example:

Comp 1 (foundation competition (first comp(past))): Hey, this furnace is pretty cool. Let’s allow this.
    Comp 2: Hmm, this furnace doesn’t work without collectors. Might as well add the rest of the steam machines!
    Comp 3: These machines take several blue crystals to make, and so do these cool new lights. Enjoy!
    Comp 4 (where we are): Well, these items already in dungeons use crystals. Why NOT add touchplates? It’ll add some new dungeon engineering possibilities!
    Comp 12: Every player left due to a sudden drop in prices. Wonder how that happened,
    Comp 13: There is none.

If you get a little bit of freedom for building each competition, soon (no, really) it’ll turn around and backfire.
    Are you kidding, bro? Your comment makes no sense of what the others are trying to bring. Your comment is an excess just like how someone would use 50 freaking furnaces for a spawn build. You don't clearly see the point we were bringing. SOME ITEMS DO NOT REQUIRE MATERIALS WHO HOLD ANY VALUE GREATER THAN A BLUE. ITEMS THAT REQUIRE CHEAPEST OF THE CHEAPEST MATERIALS WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING TO THE GAME AS LONG AS IT IS USED SPARINGLY.

and last time, I checked, you made a LARGE STEAM JET BUNKER in Firelore's Competition, don't get me wrong bro, you're eating your own crap.

please, tell me, how to craft an onyx, @IronManArcher ?
    Post edited by ArcanGrave on
    Instead of arguing regarding what items should or should not be used, I decided to write down an expanded note for judges (and contestants). Please let me know if you agree or disagree on any parts:

Judging Space Spawn Competition:
    1-10/10 Creativity & Attractiveness
    1-10/10 Originality & Style
    1-10/10 Space Look
    1-10/10 Usability
    4-40/40 TOTAL

Creativity & Attractiveness:
    This part of judging depends solely on how much the judge likes your build.
    How creative does the judge think your build is and how much does he like it?

Originality & Style:
    Does the entry have a certain style to it?
    Does it stand out from the rest? From what you usually see in deepworld?
    Will the entry add something new to deepworld and inspire others to build and create?
    Is there a pattern in the entry, or is it messy?
    Does the style hold throughout the whole entry?

Space Look:
    Does the entry look like it belongs in space?
    Entries can be out of any material, but should look like something out of space.
    Remember, space is a new biom and we are trying to create a certain new style/feel for it.
    We ask judges to be open minded for this part of the judging and not hold any stereotypes against people who search for new ideas in their entries.

Usability:
    How usable is the entry for the Deepworld space spawn?
    Does it have rares? Is it too big? Does it have a clear exit?
    Technically an entry with no rares and of moderate size should be getting 10/10 and 1/10 would be given to an entry full of teslas, control panels and rares.
    I would rate entries as such:
    6-9/10 - if an entry more than one touchplate, or more than one of the items that you could find in dungeons: such as engines, collectors, furnaces and so on.
    5-1/10 If an entry spams engenneering items, or use rares.
    P.S. Keep in mind that entries that win and are considered for use in game might have certain items removed before use, so judges should also keep in mind that if the see a rare in a build that could be replaced and it would not effect the entry very much, they should not mark the entry too harshly. For example if u see a notch in an entry, you can assume it is a landscape and treat it as such for their mark down.
    My main goal is to add content to the game that would inspire people to build. I want someone who is new to game to see that deepworld is not only about mining, but that you could build wonderful things in this game. This is what makes the game so attractive to me.

I still remember the moment I realized that a combination of large trapdoors and touchplates could make up a vehicle, giving countless possibilities. This REALLY makes deepworld look good, and I would love to more inspiring structures to be in game. And not just at worlds of great builders, but all around the game!

If this means we would be letting new people get their hands on a few items that you need engineering 3+ to craft, I am willing to live with that. Just like we live with engines and collectors at the moment.

I dismiss the argument that if you let someone put a touch plate in a build, next thing you know there will be onyx all over builds. Like Flynn said, raw materials and crafted is not the same. We have to be open minded and wise about use and allowance of certain new items into new dungeons. Adding new items definitely add to the game, but we have to be careful not to break the game market system.

That is also why i said, if an entry wins, and it (for example) has a painting in it, or fancy touchplates - we can remove em before introducing the build into the game.

Also, I strongly believe that jets should be available in space. They should be rare, but players should be able to loot them and use them for space builds. That is my opinion and I am not imposing it on anybody. Each judge will have their own mind set and this is good. Together we are shaping the Deepworld of tomorrow!

edited March 17
    Update:
    1. Android2.0 - no sign
    2. Vinnie_LaJoya - no sign
    3. AMENAZZY - no sign
    4. trainQuinn1 - sign - complete - large
    5. Bboommeerr - sign - complete - rares - large
    6. E.P.I.C. - sign - complete - rares
    7. RiptideTD - sign - rares
    8. Shadowreal - sign - complete - rares - large
    9. xx-rainbow - no sign
    10. Xx_Legend_xx - sign - complete - rares
    11. Sir_Arthur_Dent - sign - complete - rares
    12. Kacibug03 - sign - large
    13. .Mami - sign - complete - rares - large
    14. IronManArcher - sign - complete
    15. _FReeZe_ - sign - rares
    16. FlynnXD - sign - complete
    17. Yeah_You_Mate - sign - complete - rares
    18. BakedIce. - no sign
    19. Gazz. - sign - complete - rares - large
    20. AquaticOnyx - sign - complete - rares
    21. TacOut123 - sign - complete - rares
    22. Arcane - sign - complete
    23. Electron101 - sign - complete - rares
    24. Tacout123 - no sign
    25. Retta - sign - complete - rares
    26. iamNathan - sign
    27. Sonicbells - no sign
    28. Sparkle. - no sign
    29. winterwarri0r - sign - complete
    30. Ren_EpicGaming - no sign
    31. Raze211 - no sign
    32. IceyKinq - sign
    33. Yeongyul - sign - complete
    34. fredwardthegreat - sign - complete
    35. Bastian7 - sign - complete - rares
    36. Minerofthecentury - no sign
    37. Rocks - sign - complete - large
    38. .CheeseCake - sign - complete - rares
    39. EXPGaming - sign - complete - rares
    40. Midnight - sign - complete - rares
    41. wad-ae - no sign
    42. ZackyWacko - no sign
    43. BombsGoBoom - no sign
    44. Sir_Adder - sign - complete
    45. STICHIE - no sign
    46. johnytoast - sign - complete - rares
    47. .Solar. - sign
    48. .Poptart. - no sign
    49. Xx_Awesome_xX - sign
    50. Jamie. - sign - complete - rares - large
    51. helloiamawesome - sign - complete
    52. ZHAR - sign - complete - rares
    53. Jjcool2004 - no sign
    54. Avacado - sign - complete - rares
    55. Aenixen - no sign
    56. mhmsa - sign
    57. NewGuyNow - sign - complete - rares - large
    58. Scribe - sign
    59. Not_Swag-420 - no sign
    60. TealHyena - sign
    61. racerdog - sign - complete
    62. monkaS - no sign
    63. .Tyler. - no sign
    64. Hayden. - no sign
    65. Pablo54
    66. Phexy - no sign
    67. poohbear
    68. Kezryx
    69. Brainstorm - sign
    70. ekkar - no sign
    71. legendrider
    72. Aron2002
    73. DoesItGO - no sign
    74. pinky75 - sign
    75. Vincent18 - sign
    76. Melty.

Date - March 15 (9 days left)
    Total Entries - 76 entries
    Sign - 45
    No Sign - 25
    Complete - 31
    Rares - 23
    Large - 9
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 9
    Post edited by Detech on
    @ArcanGrave I did that so EVERYONE COULD GET A LARGE STEAM JET. If you don’t want one, then that’s fine. You just ruined everybody else’s chance, unless it’s the daily sometime. Oh, and tell me, where did I say that we could craft onyx?
    edited March 16

@ArcanGrave I did that so EVERYONE COULD GET A LARGE STEAM JET. If you don’t want one, then that’s fine. You just ruined everybody else’s chance, unless it’s the daily sometime. Oh, and tell me, where did I say that we could craft onyx?

@IronManArcher ha, didn't you read what I said? THINGS THAT "REEEEQUUUUIIIIRE CHEAP MATERIALSSSSSSSS", yet there you are saying that, "oh, let's add some onyx bunker", "oh, let's add some rainbow bunker", "oh, let's add some diamond bunker", "oh, let's add some LARGE STEAM JET BUNKER". Really, bro? That is why I am asking you how to craft onyx because that's clearly a RAW MATERIAL. smh. fyi, I didn't ruin your so called bunker. Blame the judges, they were the ones who judged your bunker. I just brought that up because of your senseless comment.
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    edited March 17
    Post edited by FlynnXD on
    edited March 17
    Detech said:

Update:
    1. Android2.0 - no sign
    2. Vinnie_LaJoya - no sign
    3. AMENAZZY - no sign
    4. trainQuinn1 - sign - complete - large
    5. Bboommeerr - sign - complete - rares - large
    6. E.P.I.C. - sign - complete - rares
    7. RiptideTD - sign - rares
    8. Shadowreal - sign - complete - rares - large
    9. xx-rainbow - no sign
    10. Xx_Legend_xx - sign - complete - rares
    11. Sir_Arthur_Dent - sign - complete - rares
    12. Kacibug03 - sign - large
    13. .Mami - sign - complete - rares - large
    14. IronManArcher - sign - complete
    15. _FReeZe_ - sign - rares
    16. FlynnXD - sign - complete
    17. Yeah_You_Mate - sign - complete - rares
    18. BakedIce. - no sign
    19. Gazz. - sign - complete - rares - large
    20. AquaticOnyx - sign - complete - rares
    21. TacOut123 - sign - complete - rares
    22. Arcane - sign - complete
    23. Electron101 - sign - complete - rares
    24. Tacout123 - no sign
    25. Retta - sign - complete - rares
    26. iamNathan - sign
    27. Sonicbells - no sign
    28. Sparkle. - no sign
    29. winterwarri0r - sign - complete
    30. Ren_EpicGaming - no sign
    31. Raze211 - no sign
    32. IceyKinq - sign
    33. Yeongyul - sign - complete
    34. fredwardthegreat - sign - complete
    35. Bastian7 - sign - complete - rares
    36. Minerofthecentury - no sign
    37. Rocks - sign - complete - large
    38. .CheeseCake - sign - complete - rares
    39. EXPGaming - sign - complete - rares
    40. Midnight - sign - complete - rares
    41. wad-ae - no sign
    42. ZackyWacko - no sign
    43. BombsGoBoom - no sign
    44. Sir_Adder - sign - complete
    45. STICHIE - no sign
    46. johnytoast - sign - complete - rares
    47. .Solar. - sign
    48. .Poptart. - no sign
    49. Xx_Awesome_xX - sign
    50. Jamie. - sign - complete - rares - large
    51. helloiamawesome - sign - complete
    52. ZHAR - sign - complete - rares
    53. Jjcool2004 - no sign
    54. Avacado - sign - complete - rares
    55. Aenixen - no sign
    56. mhmsa - sign
    57. NewGuyNow - sign - complete - rares - large
    58. Scribe - sign
    59. Not_Swag-420 - no sign
    60. TealHyena - sign
    61. racerdog - sign - complete
    62. monkaS - no sign
    63. .Tyler. - no sign
    64. Hayden. - no sign
    65. Pablo54
    66. Phexy - no sign
    67. Zepp
    68. Kezryx
    69. Brainstorm - sign
    70. ekkar - no sign
    73. DoesItGO - no sign
    74. pinky75 - sign
    75. Vincent18 - sign

Date - March 15 (9 days left)
    Total Entries - 72 entries
    Sign - 45
    No Sign - 25
    Complete - 31
    Rares - 23
    Large - 9
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 9

Took me over an hour to go through all the enteries. Alot of them are totally using too many rare and craftable items. If your on the list, or know someone on it, please pass info onto them.

I will try to be in the comp world when not afk to help out and give suggestions.
    Post edited by Detech on
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,045
    I didn’t make anything... I’m sad.
    edited March 16

I didn’t make anything... I’m sad.

You have 9 days left!!!

Guys, check out entries: 14, 16, 22, 29, 33, 34, 44, 51, 61 to see how an entrie should look like. These entries are good size and don't use rares.

You can also ask me, or one of the other judges to have a look at your entry. They can let you know if they think your entry might be too big, or has something that shouldn't be there. But please don't ask judges if they think u might win, or compare your entry to others...
  • RettaRetta Basking in so cal sunshineMember Posts: 553
    edited March 16
    @Detech ok I’m confused what do I have that’s considered “rare”?
    The lights?
    D7F944D4-E0C9-4F71-9215-48B9A1C3B27A.jpeg
    1807 x 1131 - 3M
    edited March 16
    Retta said:

@Detech ok I’m confused what do I have that’s considered “rare”?
    The lights?

I would suggest removing the furnaces, they look sort of like they don't need to be there. Maybe leaving 2 lights and the engine and furnace is up to you. :) instead of furnaces, maybe make something in the same style your spawn is already made of.

This is just my oppinion.
    In any case, this isn't a big issue.

@IronManArcher ha, didn't you read what I said? THINGS THAT "REEEEQUUUUIIIIRE CHEAP MATERIALSSSSSSSS", yet there you are saying that, "oh, let's add some onyx bunker", "oh, let's add some rainbow bunker", "oh, let's add some diamond bunker", "oh, let's add some LARGE STEAM JET BUNKER". Really, bro? That is why I am asking you how to craft onyx because that's clearly a RAW MATERIAL. smh. fyi, I didn't ruin your so called bunker. Blame the judges, they were the ones who judged your bunker. I just brought that up because of your senseless comment.
    Getting back on topic, we need SPAWNS! There shouldn’t be touchplates to begin with!
  • RettaRetta Basking in so cal sunshineMember Posts: 553
    @Detech ty for the suggestions, did a little remodel
    edited March 16

Getting back on topic, we need SPAWNS! There shouldn’t be touchplates to begin with!
    Lmao, go say that to every people here who used furnaces, engines and other mechanical materials who used them for other aesthetic other than them being just an actual mechanical item, bro hahahaha

Why not?
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 707
    Let’s all agree to disagree, eh? Detech said that the rare items could be removed if the build was going to be added. Also, I’m sure all judges have different opinions on this and will judge it fairly.