Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

COMPETITION: Space Spawn

Comments

• ItsjustketchupItsjustketchup Plastic BeachMember Posts: 219
    Don’t think I’ll be judging too much I’ve significantly gotten inactive:P
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,582
    edited March 17
    Fine, I quit. It seems whenever I try to jump in to defend someone, people start poking fun and arguing even more. Have you all never seen a spawn building? It’s just a building. No machines, no touchplates, heck, not even doors. Arcane, Detech, not everything can be upped using different cool looking items. Things need order. And if that order is gone, Deepworld might as well be dead. I’d rather have a Deepworld with no players than a Deepworld with spawns and dungeons that mess up the game. I mean it this time. Goodbye.
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,667

Fine, I quit. It seems whenever I try to jump in to defend someone, people start poking fun and arguing even more. Have you all never seen a spawn building? It’s just a building. No machines, no touchplates, heck, not even doors. Arcane, Detech, not everything can be upped using different cool looking items. Things need order. And if that order is gone, Deepworld might as well be dead. I’d rather have a Deepworld with no players than a Deepworld with spawns and dungeons that mess up the game. I mean it this time. Goodbye.

Your a little over the board with onyx bunkers and DW with no players, but we get your point and respect your opinion.

It's just I personally don't see a mech door or touchplates in spawns effecting deepworld in a big way like you and AMWhy do.

It's all good. Don't quit!
    edited March 17

Don’t think I’ll be judging too much I’ve significantly gotten inactive:P

What do you mean?
    You don't want to judge the competition anymore?
    Post edited by Detech on
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    edited March 17

I feel you're getting this wrong. This isn't about proving ourselves right, and proving your point wrong, no. Its about trying to bring in new ideas and instigate change.A community which is stagnant, isn't going to face development without changes and evolution of ideas. The point here is to put forth new ideas, and discusses their viability, not mock or prove the other opinions wrong. Your post with the onyx bunker crap had a strong mocking tone to it, and it steered us away from constructively trying to come to a decision, and instead took an argumentative path.

The thing is, yes, spawns are indeed simple at this point, bunkers hardly use any of the mechanics the game truly is capable of, and what we're saying is that it doesn't have to stay that way. Deepworld has already faced a drop in player count, and innovation from our side could bring back people. There could be workarounds to fix issues put forth by our ideas, but you seem far too agitated to involve in a proper discussion. With the array of blocks provided to us, we can make much more beautiful spawns, both easily accessible and appealing to the eye; it's restricted by the fact that spawns are mine-able and can break the market.

We have also put forth and exchanged ideas on how crafted items and raw materials have ridiculously different prices and crafted items are not sought after, which you didn't really pay much attention to. But if indeed they still may cause issues, we could always contact Mike and see if the spawn protector range can be extended to a small protector radius. If we carefully engineer designs to still have same usability (easy exits), I don't see why it's not viable, because, as a builder, I'd feel happy seeing an eye catching spawn. Another idea could be, to make all items hatchet-able, and if you hit the item with the hatchet twice, it loses identity and becomes scrap when mined, but functions properly before that. That way, I could use touchplates, and not fear it being mined. (like paint bunker protectors)

These above ideas may or may not be viable, because I'be just jotted down points in my head, but I'm saying that, that should be our goal! Discussing whether an idea can be implemented, if not, we will drop it. But most of the discussion here has been trying to put fault or dismiss the other side for being irrational with their thoughts. Our common goal must be in interests of making deepworld a better place, for all players, may they be miners or builders or pvpers. Both sides of the argument have had flaws, but I hope hereafter we focus on evaluating ideas and FINDING ways to make them useful, rather than plainly dismissing them..
    Post edited by FlynnXD on
  • ChatotTheParrotChatotTheParrot Preferably a tree. A high tree.Member, Arbiter Posts: 694
    I can't tell if I'm going off-topic or not (and pull me up if I am, detech!). I think if you're going to put rares in your build, you'll have to seriously consider why. Are you just putting them there to make it visually pleasing? Because if you know they'll be taken out anyway then you'll be left with the shell of a spawn. I'm not put down as a judge, but if I was, I'd prefer seeing how the spawn works without the dressing.

Erm but on the other hand I sometimes get happy in deep biomes because there's the chance that a large crystal will be within my perception screen at the spawn. I actually check all three spawns before I do anything else. If the spawn was accepted as a design, and generated very very rarely, wouldn't that be considered some sort of lucky break? But obviously all the new spawns couldn't be like that because otherwise we wouldn't see new content, which is what we want.

I don't think things that simply require a high level to craft should be banned for the simple reason that it's fairly simple to get around that hurdle in game in a non-expensive way. There's heaps of stuff already in builds that sometimes require 'expensive' craft materials - industrial lights are everywhere and they cost blues to craft.

...you know what, I don't even know what I'm trying to say hahahahaha. Guess I'm sitting on the hedge for this one. Sorry for waffling
  • Bastian7Bastian7 Between WorldsMember Posts: 395
    Detech, my build says rares. Please take a look and let me know, what should be removed.
    edited March 17
    Bastian7 said:

Detech, my build says rares. Please take a look and let me know, what should be removed.

I would advise removing large mech doors, touchplates, and the spam of furnaces, lights, braintank rooftops and collectors.
    Lots of brass rooftops as well...

We are making entries for DW game to use. Keep in mind people will be mining all this...
    edited March 17

...you know what, I don't even know what I'm trying to say hahahahaha. Guess I'm sitting on the hedge for this one. Sorry for waffling

You and Flynn both have a good point and I respect AMWhy's view on things. He certainly cares for the game and does his best to keep it stable.

Let me know if you want to be a judge'

Me and Flynn have nearly identical view on things. I would also love to be able to hatchet stuff like lights and fireplaces as well... so that there would be no light/fire in them
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,077

I think if you're going to put rares in your build, you'll have to seriously consider why. Are you just putting them there to make it visually pleasing? Because if you know they'll be taken out anyway then you'll be left with the shell of a spawn. I'm not put down as a judge, but if I was, I'd prefer seeing how the spawn works without the dressing.

This pretty much sums up the solution to one of the problems - and why using rare items in a spawn isn't really viable, because they just would get removed in the final version.

Whilst a huge part of a building competition is making your design both functional and aesthetically pleasing, another large consideration is the context of the competition.

If I was taking part in an IRL architecture competition to design a workplace, I'd take into consideration what that workplace was going to be used for. So I wouldn't make a machinery workshop for a office company, or an office for a factory assembly line. No matter how well each design might work, or how nice it might look, if it doesn't fit the context of what is being asked for, then you have a problem.

In regards to the problem about adding touchplates... I think this could be resolved by simply just creating a checklist of what is and isn't allowed. It's probably too late to do it for this competition, but for future competitions, probably use this list to make a list of what is and isn't allowed for use, then chuck it on pastebin or something for people to check.

Everywhen said:

I think if you're going to put rares in your build, you'll have to seriously consider why. Are you just putting them there to make it visually pleasing? Because if you know they'll be taken out anyway then you'll be left with the shell of a spawn. I'm not put down as a judge, but if I was, I'd prefer seeing how the spawn works without the dressing.

This pretty much sums up the solution to one of the problems - and why using rare items in a spawn isn't really viable, because they just would get removed in the final version.

Whilst a huge part of a building competition is making your design both functional and aesthetically pleasing, another large consideration is the context of the competition.

If I was taking part in an IRL architecture competition to design a workplace, I'd take into consideration what that workplace was going to be used for. So I wouldn't make a machinery workshop for a office company, or an office for a factory assembly line. No matter how well each design might work, or how nice it might look, if it doesn't fit the context of what is being asked for, then you have a problem.

In regards to the problem about adding touchplates... I think this could be resolved by simply just creating a checklist of what is and isn't allowed. It's probably too late to do it for this competition, but for future competitions, probably use this list to make a list of what is and isn't allowed for use, then chuck it on pastebin or something for people to check.

After looking at all the entries, I don't think touchplates are an issue worth wasting time on. Over 80% of entries are spammed with all sorts of rares and craftable items.

I would really love some help on helping contestants understand what to remove and what to change in their entries.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WMember, Moderator, Arbiter Posts: 5,077
    Detech said:

Everywhen said:

After looking at all the entries, I don't think touchplates are an issue worth wasting time on. Over 80% of entries are spammed with all sorts of rares and craftable items.

I would really love some help on helping contestants understand what to remove and what to change in their entries.
    I think the dangerous thing here is trying to implement it during the competition after people have made their designs?

It might be a little late, but at the same time I can see the issue with retaining high value items.

If you want, I can draft up a list later? Do we have an official end date yet that I missed?
    edited March 18
    Everywhen said:

Detech said:

Everywhen said:

I think the dangerous thing here is trying to implement it during the competition after people have made their designs?

It might be a little late, but at the same time I can see the issue with retaining high value items.

If you want, I can draft up a list later? Do we have an official end date yet that I missed?
    Competition ends on March 24th and judging begins. Most people don't read the rules and don't go on the forum, so I don't see how a list would help.

Spending all my time visiting people's entries while they are there helps.

List would help in the future. It would be a good topic for discussion!!!
    edited March 19
    Update:
    1. Android2.0 - no sign
    2. Vinnie_LaJoya - no sign
    3. AMENAZZY - no sign
    4. trainQuinn1 - sign - complete - large
    5. Bboommeerr - sign - complete - rares - large
    6. E.P.I.C. - sign - complete
    7. RiptideTD - sign - rares
    8. Shadowreal - sign - complete
    9. xx-rainbow - no sign
    10. Xx_Legend_xx - sign - complete - rares
    11. Sir_Arthur_Dent - sign - complete - rares
    12. Kacibug03 - sign - large
    13. .Mami - sign - complete - rares
    14. IronManArcher - sign - complete
    15. _FReeZe_ - sign - rares
    16. FlynnXD - sign - complete
    17. Yeah_You_Mate - sign - complete - rares
    18. BakedIce. - no sign
    19. Gazz. - sign - complete - rares - large
    20. AquaticOnyx - sign - complete - rares
    21. TacOut123 - sign - complete
    22. Arcane - sign - complete
    23. Electron101 - sign - complete - rares
    24. Tacout123 - no sign
    25. Retta - sign - complete
    26. iamNathan - sign - complete
    27. Sonicbells - no sign
    28. Sparkle. - no sign
    29. ladywinter - sign - complete
    30. Ren_EpicGaming - no sign
    31. Raze211 - no sign
    32. IceyKinq - sign
    33. Yeongyul - sign - complete
    34. fredwardthegreat - sign - complete
    35. Bastian7 - sign - complete - rares
    36. Minerofthecentury - no sign
    37. Rocks - sign - complete - large
    38. .CheeseCake - sign - complete - rares
    39. EXPGaming - sign - complete
    40. Midnight - sign - complete - rares
    41. wad-ae - no sign
    42. ZackyWacko - no sign
    43. BombsGoBoom - no sign
    44. Sir_Adder - sign - complete
    45. STICHIE - no sign
    46. johnytoast - sign - complete - rares
    47. .Solar. - sign
    48. .Poptart. - no sign
    49. Xx_Awesome_xX - sign
    50. Jamie. - sign - complete - rares - large
    51. helloiamawesome - sign - complete
    52. ZHAR - sign - complete - rares
    53. Jjcool2004 - no sign
    54. Avacado - sign - complete - rares
    55. Aenixen - no sign
    56. mhmsa - sign
    57. NewGuyNow - sign - complete - rares - large
    58. Scribe - sign
    59. Not_Swag-420 - no sign
    60. TealHyena - sign - complete
    61. racerdog - sign - complete
    62. monkaS - sign - complete
    63. .Tyler. - no sign
    64. Hayden. - no sign
    65. Pablo54 - sign
    66. Phexy - no sign
    67. poohbear - sign - complete
    68. Kezryx - no sign
    69. Brainstorm - sign
    70. ekkar - no sign
    71. legendrider - no sign
    72. Aron2002 - sign
    73. DoesItGO - no sign
    74. pinky75 - sign - complete
    75. Vincent18 - sign
    76. Melty. - no sign
    77. Kevin2013 - sign - complete

Date - March 18th (6 days)
    Total Entries - 77 entries
    Sign - 50
    No Sign - 27
    Complete - 36
    Rares - 17
    Large - 7
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 20

Date - March 15 (9 days left)
    Total Entries - 60 entries
    Sign - 45
    No Sign - 25
    Complete - 31
    Rares - 23
    Large - 9
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 9
    Post edited by Detech on
  • RettaRetta Basking in so cal sunshineMember Posts: 553
    edited March 19
    @Detech I don’t understand, why does my entry need attendance? Or is it just the dark names that do?
    Retta said:

@Detech I don’t understand, why does my entry need attendance? Or is it just the dark names that do?

Sorry Retta, I messed up. Your entry is fine!

Nice to see that we now have 20 entries that are good for the competition, instead of 9 a few days ago.

But we need more! :)
  • LilyabcLilyabc Kpop?Member Posts: 949
    edited March 19
    Haven't seen Android online in a while. He may be busy?
    And I can tell Sparkle. later on today.
  • _Brainstorm__Brainstorm_ Nowhere and EverywhereMember Posts: 4,034
    edited March 20
    My beautiful face needs attendance
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,582
    Everywhen said:

“Minigame has begun”
    *Destroy notches with skin color*
    edited March 21
    Update:
    1. Android2.0 - no sign
    2. Vinnie_LaJoya - no sign
    3. AMENAZZY - no sign
    4. trainQuinn1 - sign - complete - large
    5. Bboommeerr - sign - complete - rares - large
    6. E.P.I.C. - sign - complete
    7. RiptideTD - sign - rares
    8. Shadowreal - sign - complete
    9. xx-rainbow - no sign
    10. Xx_Legend_xx - sign - complete - rares
    11. Sir_Arthur_Dent - sign - complete - rares
    12. Kacibug03 - sign - complete
    13. .Mami - sign - complete
    14. IronManArcher - sign - complete
    15. _FReeZe_ - sign - rares
    16. FlynnXD - sign - complete
    17. Yeah_You_Mate - sign - complete - rares
    18. BakedIce. - no sign
    19. Gazz. - sign - complete - rares - large
    20. AquaticOnyx - sign - complete - rares
    21. TacOut123 - sign - complete
    22. Arcane - sign - complete
    23. Electron101 - sign - complete - rares
    24. Tacout123 - no sign
    25. Retta - sign - complete
    26. iamNathan - sign - complete
    27. Sonicbells - no sign
    28. Sparkle. - no sign
    29. ladywinter - sign - complete
    30. Ren_EpicGaming - no sign
    31. Raze211 - no sign
    32. IceyKinq - sign
    33. Yeongyul - sign - complete
    34. fredwardthegreat - sign - complete
    35. Bastian7 - sign - complete
    36. Minerofthecentury - no sign
    37. Rocks - sign - complete - large
    38. .CheeseCake - sign - complete - rares
    39. EXPGaming - sign - complete
    40. Midnight - sign - complete - rares
    41. wad-ae - no sign
    42. ZackyWacko - no sign
    43. BombsGoBoom - no sign
    44. Sir_Adder - sign - complete
    45. STICHIE - no sign
    46. johnytoast - sign - complete - rares
    47. .Solar. - sign
    48. .Poptart. - no sign
    49. Xx_Awesome_xX - no sign
    50. Jamie. - sign - complete - rares - large
    51. helloiamawesome - sign - complete
    52. ZHAR - sign - complete - rares
    53. Jjcool2004 - no sign
    54. Avacado - sign - complete - rares
    55. Aenixen - no sign
    56. mhmsa - sign
    57. NewGuyNow - sign - complete - rares - large
    58. Scribe - sign
    59. Not_Swag-420 - no sign
    60. TealHyena - sign - complete
    61. racerdog - sign - complete
    62. monkaS - sign - complete
    63. .Tyler. - no sign
    64. Hayden. - no sign
    65. Pablo54 - sign
    66. Phexy - no sign
    67. poohbear - sign - complete
    68. Kezryx - no sign
    69. Brainstorm - sign
    70. ekkar - no sign
    71. legendrider - no sign
    72. Aron2002 - sign
    73. DoesItGO - no sign
    74. pinky75 - sign - complete
    75. Vincent18 - sign
    76. Melty. - no sign
    77. Kevin2013 - sign - complete
    78. Xx_SKITTLZ_Xx - sign - complete - rares
    79. War_Wolf - no sign
    80. Lilbill - no sign
    81. ESTEROS - sign - complete
    82. Jopjop15 - sign - complete
    83. Falconclaws - sign
    84. Sparkle. - sign - complete
    85. Plioter6293 - no sign
    86. Jonnystyle - sign - complete
    87. abelXD - sign - complete
    88. Benmiller1405 - sign - complete - rares
    89. Wintersoldier11 - sign - complete
    90. Jack. - sign - complete - rares

March 21 (3 days left)
    Total Entries - 90 entries
    Sign - 60
    No Sign - 30
    Complete - 47
    Rares - 16
    Large - 6
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 28

Date - March 18th (6 days left)
    Total Entries - 77 entries
    Sign - 50
    No Sign - 27
    Complete - 36
    Rares - 17
    Large - 7
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 20

Date - March 15 (9 days left)
    Total Entries - 60 entries
    Sign - 45
    No Sign - 25
    Complete - 31
    Rares - 23
    Large - 9
    ALL GOOD TO GO - 9
    Hey Judges:
    @RhinoClaw @Lilyabc (aka magical)
    @Mofc1991 @Itsjustketchup @AMWhy (aka Firelore)

3 days left. Do we want to do open judging with posting marks? Or closed where u send me marks and I just share them amongst the judges?

Also, do we want to nominate entries first? Or judge them all?
    I will remark all entries again when competition is over, so no entry without a completed build will be judged anyways.
    edited March 22
    Question for the judges from Bastian:
    @AMWhy Is it okay to use mirrors for his entry?
    Post edited by Detech on
    72404990-7138-4F06-A25B-B92221489625.png
    2048 x 1536 - 2M
    edited March 21
    Detech said:

Hey Judges:
    RhinoClaw Lilyabc (aka magical)
    Mofc1991 Itsjustketchup AMWhy (aka Firelore)

3 days left. Do we want to do open judging with posting marks? Or closed where u send me marks and I just share them amongst the judges?

Also, do we want to nominate entries first? Or judge them all?
    I will remark all entries again when competition is over, so no entry without a completed build will be judged anyways.

I don't care if we do open judging or not.. whatever is easiest for you.
    New entry; because my old entry was too fancy :(
    image.jpeg
    2048 x 1536 - 542K
    FlynnXD said:

WHAT! NO! IT LOOKS SO GLOOMY NOW. ):<
    Lilyabc said:

FlynnXD said:

WHAT! NO! IT LOOKS SO GLOOMY NOW. ):<</p>
    Atleast it won't lost points for being too bit big or fancy :/. As much as I like my first entry, I guess this is more appropriate for the comp ;-;
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 643
    Detect just tell me when your opening judging and I don’t give a damn what you use to build mirrors are fine :wink:
    edited March 22
    So many awesome entries. I wish I could of entered this comp... I would have lost with a "fanciest" entry! Lol

Open judging is good cause its clear. As long as noone gets their feelings hurt.
    Post edited by Detech on
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    I'd suggest judges send nominations to you first - then you announce the nominations.

Next, judges vote on the nominated entries.

This way, judges can make a quick judgement for nominations then only look at the nominated entries in detail (quicker overall).

The reason for closed nominations is to avoid bias (this one hasn't been voted for... but that one has.... I'll tactically vote for this one instead).