Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

COMPETITION: Space Spawn

Comments

• IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    Detech said:

My favourite of all the nominated is IronManArcher's crashed ship :)

Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

There are no spiders in space! Whoops!

Yours is my favourite, Oh instead of making more then one comment let me just say it all at once this judging thing seems over complicated but I’m lazy to read it all good luck to everyone:P
    Are you sure you don't want to judge? I even took the time to make screenshots to make it easier for judges. It's not complicated... usability is simple, style is understandable, creativity also simple and space look is obvious.
    Detech he may not have time to judge?
    Nah I’m just lazy and if I was gonna vote I vote for IronManArcher or however that works
    Yay!
    Iron, the judge who likes your entry is too lazy to judge. You should be sad.
    Doesn’t it still count as a point?
  • LilyabcLilyabc Kpop?Member Posts: 988

Detech said:

Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

Yours is my favourite, Oh instead of making more then one comment let me just say it all at once this judging thing seems over complicated but I’m lazy to read it all good luck to everyone:P
    Are you sure you don't want to judge? I even took the time to make screenshots to make it easier for judges. It's not complicated... usability is simple, style is understandable, creativity also simple and space look is obvious.
    Nah I’m just lazy and if I was gonna vote I vote for IronManArcher or however that works
    Yay!
    Its Round 2. That means if you want a higher chance of winning he will have to judge the rest also with that scale thing Detech made. So... you should be sad.
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaMember Posts: 1,797
    edited March 31

Detech said:

Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

Yay!
    Yes. Its an extra point just for you, but it is not part of the judging we are doing for the competition
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSMember Posts: 2,698
    Detech said:

Detech said:

Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

Yay!
    Yes. Its an extra point just for you, but it is not part of the judging we are doing for the competition
    “Aww, someone likes my build. I’m so sad now”
    @RhinoClaw @mofc1991 plz judge the nominations :)
  • mofc1991mofc1991 Member Posts: 711
    Okay so shall I judge every single one from 1-10
    mofc1991 said:

Okay so shall I judge every single one from 1-10

Judging Space Spawn Competition:
    1-10/10 Creativity & Attractiveness
    1-10/10 Originality & Style
    1-10/10 Space Look
    1-10/10 Usability
    4-40/40 TOTAL

Creativity & Attractiveness:
    This part of judging depends solely on how much the judge likes your build.
    How creative does the judge think your build is and how much does he like it?

Originality & Style:
    Does the entry have a certain style to it?
    Does it stand out from the rest? From what you usually see in deepworld?
    Will the entry add something new to deepworld and inspire others to build and create?
    Is there a pattern in the entry, or is it messy?
    Does the style hold throughout the whole entry?

Space Look:
    Does the entry look like it belongs in space?
    Entries can be out of any material, but should look like something out of space.
    Remember, space is a new biom and we are trying to create a certain new style/feel for it.
    We ask judges to be open minded for this part of the judging and not hold any stereotypes against people who search for new ideas in their entries.

Usability:
    How usable is the entry for the Deepworld space spawn?
    Does it have rares? Is it too big? Does it have a clear exit?
    Technically an entry with no rares and of moderate size should be getting 10/10 and 1/10 would be given to an entry full of teslas, control panels and rares.
    I would rate entries as such:
    6-9/10 - if an entry more than one touchplate, or more than one of the items that you could find in dungeons: such as engines, collectors, furnaces and so on.
    5-1/10 If an entry spams engenneering items, or use rares.
    P.S. Keep in mind that entries that win and are considered for use in game might have certain items removed before use, so judges should also keep in mind that if the see a rare in a build that could be replaced and it would not effect the entry very much, they should not mark the entry too harshly. For example if u see a notch in an entry, you can assume it is a landscape and treat it as such for their mark down.

Scores can look like this

Entry C O SL U
    156 9 9 10 10
    157 7 5 9 10
    And do on.
    I’ll have results to you later today
  • RhinoClawRhinoClaw HellMember Posts: 143
    How I have to judge makes me want to die
    edited April 1
    I realise how hard I made this for the judges by making all the rules. I wanted to make this as fair as possible, but I think it just gotten confusing.
    We got two more judges to go and then some tweaking to make sure all the judges got the rules right.

Should be over in the next few days.

I made it hard for everyone I think, some people rebuilt their entries multiple times. I really hope some.of those entries get used in game :)
    We need a new judge.
    Anyone wants to take part?
    Alright! Two good fellow deepworldarians agreed.to.help out and replace one of the judges that had to withdraw.

We now have 7 judges:
    @AMWhy @Detech @Lilyabc @Izepenguin @Vinnie_LaJoya @emma520 @mofc1991

Just waiting on Mofc to finish up judging now
    Question to judges and contestants.

I want to use a technique where I can remove the highest mark and lowest mark from an entry if for example all marks are high and one is really low. Or all are low and one is real high.

For example if there are 6 judges and the marks look like this :
    10 9 8 9 9 1 = average 7.6
    As you can see, the one low mark really hurts an entry.
    In such cases I would like to remove the highest and lowest marks and get an average from the rest:
    9 8 9 9 = average 8.75

This mark seems better reflecting of where the entry stands and help against such cases of extreem low marks.

Please let me know if you guys are okay with me doing this. I want to know if its okay with you before all the marks are in, so that you don't think I am planning anything with this.
    I want to make this as fair as possible!
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 708
    edited April 2
    Detech said:

Question to judges and contestants.

I want to use a technique where I can remove the highest mark and lowest mark from an entry if for example all marks are high and one is really low. Or all are low and one is real high.

For example if there are 6 judges and the marks look like this :
    10 9 8 9 9 1 = average 7.6
    As you can see, the one low mark really hurts an entry.
    In such cases I would like to remove the highest and lowest marks and get an average from the rest:
    9 8 9 9 = average 8.75

This mark seems better reflecting of where the entry stands and help against such cases of extreem low marks.

Please let me know if you guys are okay with me doing this. I want to know if its okay with you before all the marks are in, so that you don't think I am planning anything with this.
    I want to make this as fair as possible!

Sounds good to me!

Edit: But then again, shouldn't all judges vote count?
    edited April 2
    TealHyena said:

Sounds good to me!

Edit: But then again, shouldn't all judges vote count?

All judges are different and all of their votes count. But we are all human.
    What I am trying to prevent is judges making radical decisions.

If all the judges vote 8-10/10, it probably means the entry is good. If one judge doesn't like it (or maybe some other reason) and votes 4-7/10, it's understandable. But when a judge votes 1/10 it's a bit radical and also significantly drops the chances of that entry winning.

This is only for EXTREME cases, if they come up.

It really makes no difference to me, I am not in the competition... just trying to make it fair for everyone.
    And maybe remove some backlash when people question why someone gave SUCH a low mark for something...

That's why I bring this up. I want you guys to decide what you think would be fair.

• FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    edited April 2
    Oh, so judging is complete? Only summing up the scores is yet to be done?

And regarding the rounding off method, I dunno.. Personally, if I KNEW my entry got a 1/10 from one judge, I'd probably want to use the suggested method, because it'd feel like judge has been too harsh. But then, I dunno the state of my entry rn, so from a non biased perspective, it doesn't seem like the "right" thing to do, because it essentially nullifies a few judges perspective which defeats the purpose of having multiple judges.. So.. Perhaps if multiple entries seem to have gotten similar extrema scores, then this method could be used under the pretext of "leveling the playfield", but if it's really just 1-2 entries having such issues, then I guess it might be unfair to do so..
    FlynnXD said:

Waiting on MOFC1991 to judge and magical and emma to rejudge usability field for all entries.
    Detech said:

FlynnXD said:

Waiting on MOFC1991 to judge and magical and emma to rejudge usability field for all entries.
    -w-
    geez. I get that I have to rejudge it. not my fault i didnt have time.
    edited April 2
    Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

FlynnXD said:

-w-
    Will you have time tomorrow?
    Detech said:

Lilyabc said:

Detech said:

FlynnXD said:

-w-
    Will you have time tomorrow?
    yep. i hope.
    Ty Lilly, just need Mofc1991 now :)
    Hey hey I have finished!! Sorry I went to sleep and forgot about emailing you the results
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationMember, Arbiter Posts: 1,182
    Regarding the changing of judges scores - this is a valid method used to remove unusual results. I believe it has been used in some Olympic events in the past.

However:

It would have to be applied to EVERY entry - not just the obscure ones.

There are 6 judges (7?) so that's a high enough number for it to work. You would have to take every entry's score and remove the highest and lowest score. Then average the rest. For many entries it won't make much of a difference. For a few it could remove odd (biased) scores.

For example (not real scores)
    Votes for entry 6:
    Judge A: 12
    Judge B 30
    Judge C: 28
    judge D: 35
    judge E: 30
    Judge F: 32

Remove highest and lowest:
    -A -D

Add remaining entries and divide by 4
    (30+28+30+32)/4 = 30
    Entry 6 score is 30

Votes for Entry 99:
    Judge A: 34
    Judge B 36
    judge D: 33
    judge E: 39

-C -E

(34+36+33+32)/4 = 33.75
    Ahh, for every entry. That makes more sence
  • FlynnXDFlynnXD Member Posts: 1,229
    Please tell me we're close to the end ;-; I can't wait for another week lol
    edited April 2
    ALL NUMBERS ARE IN! All Judges have completed their duties!
    All I have to do now is put in the extra numbers and see what happens.

If there are no entries with same score that we would have to resolve, we can announce winners today!
    AMWhy said:

Regarding the changing of judges scores - this is a valid method used to remove unusual results. I believe it has been used in some Olympic events in the past.

However:

There are 6 judges (7?) so that's a high enough number for it to work. You would have to take every entry's score and remove the highest and lowest score. Then average the rest. For many entries it won't make much of a difference. For a few it could remove odd (biased) scores.

Votes for entry 6:
    Judge B 30

-A -D

(30+28+30+32)/4 = 30
    Entry 6 score is 30

Votes for Entry 99:
    Judge B 36

-C -E

(34+36+33+32)/4 = 33.75

Got all the numbers in. now I have to implement this system for 80 lines of numbers O_0
  • TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresMember Posts: 708
    Detech said:

AMWhy said:

However:

Votes for entry 6:
    Judge B 30

-A -D

(30+28+30+32)/4 = 30
    Entry 6 score is 30

Votes for Entry 99:
    Judge B 36

-C -E

(34+36+33+32)/4 = 33.75

Got all the numbers in. now I have to implement this system for 80 lines of numbers O_0
    Goodluck :)
    YUS! Good Lucks EVERYONE! (you will need it)